Report: Signee Kalvaraz Bessent Arrested

RunInRed

I'm off the fence now. He's gone. 12 ounces (that's a TON of weed) a gun and scales??? Either he was selling drugs or hanging out with dudes selling drugs. He knew what he was doing. Call me a cynic but no one with a functioning brain could be that naive.

Well, actually a ton would be 35,273.9619 ounces.

I admit, I was totally doing those calculations too. Let's hear it for Economy Size, huh?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A regular smoker can go through 1/2 ounce a week. A normal upstanding citizen who smokes is taking a risk every single time they travel to purchase from a dealer. Would be happy to entertain you with that argument in court. That's a 6 month supply, instead of driving into bad neighborhoods and travelling with stuff in the car on a more regular basis.

It has NOTHING to do with this case, just pointing it out.

As a former regular smoker, your first point is bogus. Snoop Dogg would have trouble doing that.

hmmmmmmmmmm, okay. LMAO.

At least this thread has gotten interesting, instead of the jumping the gun it started as.

I think the only way he keeps his scolly to Auburn is to be quickly exonerated and have all charges against him dropped. For this to happen one of the others has to admit to ownership of the weed and gun or has to be fingered by the others. I imagine Bessent's parents also see this and I would hope that the will put some major pressure on him to give the police the true story. This may go against his thinking and appear to him that he's "ratting out" another guy but in a situation like this there's too much at stake for him to just go down with the ship. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. My logic and what I know about our society tells me that he has about a 20% chance of being at Auburn this summer.

I think the only way he keeps his scolly to Auburn is to be quickly exonerated and have all charges against him dropped. For this to happen one of the others has to admit to ownership of the weed and gun or has to be fingered by the others. I imagine Bessent's parents also see this and I would hope that the will put some major pressure on him to give the police the true story. This may go against his thinking and appear to him that he's "ratting out" another guy but in a situation like this there's too much at stake for him to just go down with the ship. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. My logic and what I know about our society tells me that he has about a 20% chance of being at Auburn this summer.

He is facing some long odds of getting back no doubt but, if its proven the contraband and gun was not his I actually think he will be back.

As a former regular smoker, your first point is bogus. Snoop Dogg would have trouble doing that.

Yup...

Not only that, but a "regular smoker" is also most likely a connoisseur and would want to change things up or at least cycle fresh batches of weed. The thought of buying 300+ grams at a time for personal use is absurd. The "safety" reasoning makes no sense either: would you rather be caught with a 1/2 or 1 ounce of weed or with 12 ounces LOL?

Yup...

Not only that, but a "regular smoker" is also most likely a connoisseur and would want to change things up or at least cycle fresh batches of weed. The thought of buying 300+ grams at a time for personal use is absurd. The "safety" reasoning makes no sense either: would you rather be caught with a 1/2 or 1 ounce of weed or with 12 ounces LOL?

People that regularly hold weed and smoke weed dont think about how much they would prefer being caught with. They don't think about cycling fresh batches either. They've either got it or they dont and if they do they're smoking it not worrying about cycling it. Also, it is not uncommon at all to buy more than they plan to personally smoke so they can get a better deal and share the cost with their friends.That does not make a kid a dealer.

I can't believe most of the comments on this subject. 1St Gus will make the decision and as much as I hate to have to break this to you , he really doesn't care what you think. Also unlike some one here he probably believes in atleast hearing the true facts before making a decision, something some should try. And last but not least police normally make large and even absurd charges in hope of getting someone afraid enough to make a mistake. In the end their is no way that ever try these charges, they would be totally embarrassed in court if it ever made it that far. You cannot convict on association, you have to have a little something called proof. They could never prove that the drug was his just by the fact that he was in the car. The only likely target would be the car owner or driver and even that would prove to be a far shot. Most likely they are hoping to get them to plea bargin in which case he would qualify as juvenile and since he has no priors he would get community service and a cleared record down the road. Gus will most likely decide on those facts. Remember he is not a student yet, so Gus has not had a heart to heart like he has with those presently at AU. If it had happened after he got here then he would probably be gone. Since Gus has not responded, my guess he stays but will be told if he sneezes wrong in the next 4 years he is done. JMHO.

The police are checking the fingerprints and dna on the gun. If they come back positive for him, he knew what was going on. Those tests are probably what Gus is waiting on before he makes a decision on this kid's future.

Curious ... question for the 'experts' ... what's the street value of 12 ounces?

250-400 per oz. depending on the grade. And no, I'm not a pot head....but I arrested a few in a prior career field.

Some places get less. Street value follows the same rules as demand and availability in the open market, with higher returns on quality.

Unfortunately , he is a black kid and will suffer under the legal system down south. The prisons are clogged with black drug offenders in Alabama. The white kids are from affluent families and can hire a good lawyer and send the kid to a rehab program, like Bradford. The legal system is a racist tool. Time to legalize marijuana and open up the rehab programs to all children, regardless of ability to pay. Also, all children should be afforded free and effective legal representation. Stop sending people to prison for drug offenses. He should definitely be sent to rehab and given another chance at Auburn.

Wow. So if he was up north and busted with that much weed they would have given him a warning? And no rich white kids up there either? Want to know how to keep black ( or white) drug offenders out of jail? Stop selling the stuff. Liberal much?

Curious ... question for the 'experts' ... what's the street value of 12 ounces?

All depends on how good the weed is and where you live. I'd say $200 is a starting point for some average stuff. The better the weed the more expensive it gets. I never bought that much when I used to smoke because if you get caught with that much its felony territory depending on which state you live in.

The police are checking the fingerprints and dna on the gun. If they come back positive for him, he knew what was going on. Those tests are probably what Gus is waiting on before he makes a decision on this kid's future.

A good defense lawyer will argue that all that means is that he (or whoever has a DNA/fingerprint match) held the gun at some point and left his DNA/fingerprints on it. It might even be pointed out that he could've held it at some other time. That still doesn't prove who actually owns it. For all we know...the real owner may not even have been in the car.

I'm still on the fence abut this whole thing, but I'm hoping that all is not lost with this young man.

I'm just guessing, but I would imagine that the final decision on whether or not KB is allowed to come to AU will come from above Gus's head. I assume that scholarships are awarded by the athletics department and the athletic director or some other administrator within the athletic department will make the decision after consulting coach M. I imagine that there will be some input from the academic side of the university as well. Depending on the severity of the actual charges, I imagine the decision will be more than just the coaches making him run a few stadiums (or whatever). Does anybody know what the process will be?

Yup...

People that regularly hold weed and smoke weed dont think about how much they would prefer being caught with. They don't think about cycling fresh batches either. They've either got it or they dont and if they do they're smoking it not worrying about cycling it. Also, it is not uncommon at all to buy more than they plan to personally smoke so they can get a better deal and share the cost with their friends.That does not make a kid a dealer.

actually it does.

Lots of clueless people chiming in on the smoker's aspect of this dead horse.

And RR, to answer your question....unless it was especially good stuff, which would be doubtful, then they probably paid $600 for the 8 ounces, or more likely, they started with a pound and paid a grand.

A regular smoker can go through 1/2 ounce a week. A normal upstanding citizen who smokes is taking a risk every single time they travel to purchase from a dealer. Would be happy to entertain you with that argument in court. That's a 6 month supply, instead of driving into bad neighborhoods and travelling with stuff in the car on a more regular basis.

It has NOTHING to do with this case, just pointing it out.

"a normal upstanding citizen who smokes". Seriously?

How long could CGM wait with the case in limbo before having to "move on", that is, allow backup scenarios to take effect. Not sure what a backup scenario might be.

A reasonable deadline would be when the the team reports for camp in early August.

If I had to bet money, I'd bet Bessent reports to the team and starts school with the rest of his signee class in late May/early June, whenever the first summer session starts.

In spite of the hype on this board, if he has no priors it's not going to be a big deal. As I said earlier, he'll most likely get a stern talking to from a judge about keeping bad company and sent home with a parent with all charges dropped.

CGM will do the right thing in the end, and let's all wait and see what happens. Speculating does little good, and often is not what eventually comes to pass. The best we can do is to pray that this young man will get his life back on track.

Archived