When you need an Auburn baseball pick me up...

Great video...but with the dead bats today, that kind of drama rarely occurs in college baseball anymore.

Today it would take about five consecutive singles to get those three runs across...and with 2 outs....not very likely. The old bats were too "alive" but in an effort to tame the game, the rules makers ruined college baseball iMO....but hoping next season the ball change might put a little more excitement into the game.

Great video...but with the dead bats today, that kind of drama rarely occurs in college baseball anymore.

Today it would take about five consecutive singles to get those three runs across...and with 2 outs....not very likely. The old bats were too "alive" but in an effort to tame the game, the rules makers ruined college baseball iMO....but hoping next season the ball change might put a little more excitement into the game.

I agree. I wish they'd quit messing with college baseball and just let it be. It's one of the few pure games left in college. Now they've gone too far with the bats so they have to fix the ball. Good Grief!!

I agree. I wish they'd quit messing with college baseball and just let it be. It's one of the few pure games left in college. Now they've gone too far with the bats so they have to fix the ball. Good Grief!!

I actually like the decision to change the seam height. It's a huge advantage to pitchers so putting it somewhere between a HS ball and an MLB ball is a good thing since they did the same with the bats.

I actually like the decision to change the seam height. It's a huge advantage to pitchers so putting it somewhere between a HS ball and an MLB ball is a good thing since they did the same with the bats.

The new ball is supposed to add about 20 feet (whatever that means) to the ball...which probably means some hits off the walls at least. I saw an Ohio State player ( 6'-5 and 240) hit a rocket over the 410 center field sign in Florida...never thought I would again see a HR like that...unfortunately for OSU and Conn.....every batter thereafter thought he could do it too. From then on (7 more innings) there were at least a dozen long fly balls ...mostly short of the warning track for easy outs.

I understand Sunny hammering our kids about trying to hit the long ball....just ain't happening with the current equipment...at least, not often enough to take the chance.....but makes it almost impossible to rally from a 3 run deficit these days. Hate to say...but I'm already looking forward to 2015.

The old bats were too "alive" but in an effort to tame the game, the rules makers ruined college baseball iMO....

You never pitched (or caught), right?

So where does the BBCOR .50 compare to wood, in your opinion? You do realize all these guys use ash or maple in the summer?

The old bats were too "alive" but in an effort to tame the game, the rules makers ruined college baseball iMO....

You never pitched (or caught), right?

So where does the BBCOR .50 compare to wood, in your opinion? You do realize all these guys use ash or maple in the summer?

Actually did both back in HS but that was a long time ago.....otherwise, I'm just talking about the changes from 2010 and the effect it has had on the game...and maybe the players too.

My understanding is that the colleges moved to metal bats based mostly because of economics...and somewhat based on the fact that players had grown up using metal bats. The new bats were not approved in a deliberate effort to change the game like some subsequent changes.

On the other hand, the move to the BBCOR bats was a deliberate move to change the game...(like not snapping the football in the first 10 seconds of a possession). The deader bats were mandated at least partly based on player safety..and to bring some balance back to the scoring. But IMO, like many rule changes in sports, the actual impact of the change is not known until the rule is in effect.

The SEC's leading HR hitter last season from LSU had 16 HRs in 68 games, about half of those games against non-SEC competition and only 5 or 6 SEC hitters had over 10 HRs in their 60+ games. And JMO but seems that a generation players learning the play "slap hit" baseball is going to reflect on their ability to play in the MLB where they will have to re-learn to hit the ball for power.

I think the general perception is that the pendulum has swung too far and there is a need to move back some.

AU64 I enjoy reading your post. You either have a vast knowledge of sports or you research before you post. I am guessing your background is engineering or accounting. Keep posting please. JMO

AU64 I enjoy reading your post. You either have a vast knowledge of sports or you research before you post. I am guessing your background is engineering or accounting. Keep posting please. JMO

Certainly not playing.

The college game prior to 2011 had become bastardized, the baseball version of arena football. What AU64 hypothesizes with respect to slap hitting and home runs is completely backwards. There were countless college studs that amassed ridiculous HR numbers with the BESR bats that never showed the same power with maple or ash in the pros. So now these (current college) kids who didn't have to switch to the BBCOR .50 bat until at least a year after the NCAA are the ones having to re-learn the swing. Those high school Paul Bunyans are currently (redshirt) sophomores, juniors and seniors and it shows. The game of baseball is meant to be played on the home plate side of the fence. It's the greatest game in the world because smarter and more technically fundamentally sound guys can, and often do, play circles around the bigger guys. Adam Dunn going all or nothing certainly gets the heart racing, but I'll take Dustin Pedroia every time.

Certainly not playing.

The college game prior to 2011 had become bastardized, the baseball version of arena football. What AU64 hypothesizes with respect to slap hitting and home runs is completely backwards. There were countless college studs that amassed ridiculous HR numbers with the BESR bats that never showed the same power with maple or ash in the pros. So now these (current college) kids who didn't have to switch to the BBCOR .50 bat until at least a year after the NCAA are the ones having to re-learn the swing. Those high school Paul Bunyans are currently (redshirt) sophomores, juniors and seniors and it shows. The game of baseball is meant to be played on the home plate side of the fence. It's the greatest game in the world because smarter and more technically fundamentally sound guys can, and often do, play circles around the bigger guys. Adam Dunn going all or nothing certainly gets the heart racing, but I'll take Dustin Pedroia every time.

Can't disagree about DP..love to watch him play but he is the exception....a guy that is 5'-8 and weighs 165 pounds with 100 career HRs....doubt he would get a single one in the SEC these days. But you might want to check the MLB stats...most of the good hitters...BA or HR are studs...not little slap hitters. I don't know where you get the philosophy about the game being played inside the fences....hasn't been that way since the Babe first hit 50 home runs nearly a century ago.

But you might want to check the MLB stats...I don't know where you get the philosophy about the game being played inside the fences....hasn't been that way since the Babe first hit 50 home runs nearly a century ago.

According to Baseball Reference, MLB teams averaged 34 at bats and just under 1 home run per game last year. The statistics say the game is played inside the park.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

But you might want to check the MLB stats...I don't know where you get the philosophy about the game being played inside the fences....hasn't been that way since the Babe first hit 50 home runs nearly a century ago.

According to Baseball Reference, MLB teams averaged 34 at bats and just under 1 home run per game last year. The statistics say the game is played inside the park.

http://www.baseball-...s/MLB/bat.shtml

I understand your view...we just see the game differently...no harm in that. WE

Power of Dixieland you are a little to serious for me. I don't really have the time or the inclination to get that deep into it. Your opinion does not change my opinion about AU64 's post in general. Just sayin.

It has always taken a fundamentally sound swing (or modified strength) to hit home runs with wood. The current metal bat allowed by the NCAA is, by far, a closer approximation of the MLB bat. I am currently working through this with my 15 year old high school sophomore who is 5'11" and about 160 pounds with arms like strings. He hits with wood all the time except on game day at school, as do most kids 14-18. Can you guess why? It's not because he's the next Bryce Harper.

Archived