Travis Williams

AubTigers

New defensive analyst at Auburn.

Auburn football: Former Tiger linebacker and grad assistant Travis Williams joins support staff

On Tuesday, Auburn brought Travis Williams on as a defensive analyst. The hire was first reported by Inside the Auburn Tigers, part of the Scout.com network. Williams' position will reportedly be an off-field role.

http://www.ledger-en...linebacker.html

I'd like to see some in-depth articles on the roles of some of the off-the-field football staffers. They certainly don't get enough credit.

"I'm excited to be back," Williams said. "Auburn is home and it was something I could not turn down. Coming back home and be on a great coaching staff is something I couldn't turn down."

Williams' work will be limited to the office and as a bridge builder between the defensive coaches and players off the field.

"I will be a good resource for those guys to talk to and bounce questions off of and get the input of someone who was actually there once before," Williams said.

Williams will serve under veteran defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson, whose staff is made up of several veteran assistants.

"I want to continue to learn ball," Williams said. "There's 75-plus years in that defensive room. That's a bunch of knowledge you can pick up on. I want to be around a lot of great guys, who are great men first and great coaches. That's the great thing about that. Whatever coach (Gus) Malzahn wants me to do, to be a great mentor to the kids, I'll do it. I've been there, graduated from there. That's what I'm looking forward to: helping these young men."

http://www.al.com/sp...cker_travi.html

They just can't recruit off campus I believe. He was the DC at Creekside HS last year. We have several offers out at that school and they have 2-3 guys go D1 about every year. So while he may not be able to "Recruit" he will still be a big help in that area. The fact he is a rapper and recorded the "Tiger Walk" song that was played prior to games in 2010 means he will be someone kids gravitate to!! i imagine he will be an awesome recruiter once he gets a bump up the ladder.

He won't be able to officially recruit, but he will be a benefit when recruits are on campus. I would be more surprised if he isn't on the defensive coaching staff at some point in the relatively near future than if he is. He might take a HC job at a high school between now and then, or perhaps a LB coach position at a smaller school (Troy maybe?), but I think we'll see him walking our sidelines at some point. Heck, he might well be learning under Ellis Johnson to take over the LB coach at AU whenever CEJ decides he wants to retire (at 62, with three failed head coaching experiences already on his resume, I think he likes leading the defensive charge for an offensive mastermind like CGM). Who knows?

In any case, great to have T-Will back on the Plains. :D

Archived