SPLASH! AUBURN HIRES BRUCE PEARL AS BASKETBALL COACH

augolf1716

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry AU64 -- there were scholarships in the 70s == don't know about earl 60s. Word to the wise would have been to take archery instead of wrestlng!

He actually recruited a couple of guys from our class...not me of course. Back in those days it was either rasslin' or boxing....take your choice. But as noted, basketball ball was fun in the old Sports Arena when it was a snakepit with fans ringing the court almost touching the sidelines.....in the days of Joel Eaves.

So maybe BP can bring back that atmosphere.

I took golf and that's how I ended up on the golf team

If I recall Sonny Dragoin was the golf coach and also the assistant wrestling coach. I played some tennis and about the only coaching Coach Young did at that time was to drop off some balls at the tennis court and tell us to set up a playoff ladder to see who would play the next match. I think it was aid...like meals that some people got.

Dr. Dragoin also taught health to education majors and probably many others. He completely rocked; thanks for a great memory in bringing him up!~I am very excited about this hire after doing my own "vetting" of all the great AUFAMILY posts re: Pearl. I've learned so much (and thanks for the great links and vids) and I applaud Jay Jacobs for both his research and his courage in making this decision. I have honestly always been one to believe in Jay...in who and Whose he is. It was only a matter of time before things came full circle. Rejoicing tonight!

:wareagle:

as a tennesse vol fan, the first thing i would like to do is congratulate auburn fans! you got a good one today and bruce pearl will bring an excitement and passion to auburn basketball like none you have ever seen! trust me, i witnessed it first hand here in knoxville. for all my fellow big orange fans that want to act like pearl is a cheater and they are glad he is not coming back to coach the vols, i say get over your pompous, self riteous, holier than thou attitude and wake up! he is the best thing to happen to tennessee basketball since pat summitt and i would have taken pearl back in a heartbeat with no hesitation! i actually felt a sick feeling in my stomach this morning when the news broke. not that i was upset at pearl for taking the job or auburn for hiring him but disgusted that the powers that be that run my university could be so ignorant and let their egos get in the way of bringing my coach back home! now let me end with this, as far as im concerned, tennessee basketball is officially dead to me! i still love my orange and always will and will continue to support every other sport at tennessee but as a former tennessee basketball fan i say, WAR EAGLE!!!! p.s. call me a bandwagon jumper, call me a traitor if you want! i say call me a bruce pearl fan and call me a new auburn basketball fan!!

Thank you for the comments. We feel the same way about Coach Pearl. I was a fan of his when he was in Knoxville. I'm glad we were able to get him to The Plains. Oh and by the way, you are welcome to come to Auburn to watch Coach Pearl in person anytime. WAR EAGLE!!

Me, too...welcome Cobbwebb! After being born in TN, having kin in TN, and living in EAST TN for four years, I've got a layer of VOL hidden under me, too. :-) War Eagle, and thanks for such a great post! TN's day will come again.

Chuckled at this tweet ...

If Bruce Pearl can't win basketball games at Auburn, then it's impossible to win basketball games at Auburn. At least we'll know.

@blakeells

A very true statement too.

Just to be consistent. I'm not proud of this hire. First time I can recall AU hiring any coach with the "baggage" that BP brings.

Yea, a kid at a BBQ is so much baggage, lets go hang em from a tree down on College, or maybe at the Arboretum.

Sorry AU64 -- there were scholarships in the 70s == don't know about earl 60s. Word to the wise would have been to take archery instead of wrestlng!

He actually recruited a couple of guys from our class...not me of course. Back in those days it was either rasslin' or boxing....take your choice. But as noted, basketball ball was fun in the old Sports Arena when it was a snakepit with fans ringing the court almost touching the sidelines.....in the days of Joel Eaves.

So maybe BP can bring back that atmosphere.

I took golf and that's how I ended up on the golf team

If I recall Sonny Dragoin was the golf coach and also the assistant wrestling coach. I played some tennis and about the only coaching Coach Young did at that time was to drop off some balls at the tennis court and tell us to set up a playoff ladder to see who would play the next match. I think it was aid...like meals that some people got.

Yep good old Sonny I still have a golf book he wrote

Who reads it to you?

sheldon-cooper-bazinga.jpg

I will be attending quite a few more games than usual this season, I probably wouldn't have gone to any next year had the status quo remained the same. I'm probably not the only one. Expect season tix sales to go up based on BP's name by itself...wait to we win a few and see what happens. WDE!

Wait 'til you see him in orange and blue body paint leading Bodda Getta at JHS ... the arena will be packed most of the season.

Oh yeah - add in one of the hot blondes with the big tata's like he had on his arm at UT and the men in the Arena will be crazy!

You do know he married her right? ;-)

Love the hire, but does anyone else think it is ironic (or whatever word may be accurate) that he is interviewed on the football practice field? "Hey Bruce, we love to have ya here, but football is always going to be #1. Don't let that bother ya." Yes, I know he was at Tennessee which has a big football program as well, but still.

Well ESPN, Pollack and others were there for the Kickoff of Spring Practice. It didnt go unnoticed that he overshadowed the entire football team today...CBP is gonna be fine...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bruce-pearl-is-back-and-he-ll-make-auburn-relevant-192559755.html

He was the assistant at Iowa who was so fed up with what he believed was an illegal recruiting situation that he taped a phone call where the player claimed he was offered money by Illinois. The move started an NCAA investigation that landed both schools on probation and left Pearl persona non grata among many of his peers, the narc of assistant coaches. Dick Vitale labeled it "career suicide."

CBP is gonna fit right in at Auburn...

Chuckled at this tweet ...

If Bruce Pearl can't win basketball games at Auburn, then it's impossible to win basketball games at Auburn. At least we'll know.

@blakeells

That sounded very familiar and then I remembered, I said almost the same thing 4 days ago on the BP discussion thread, lol.

"I posted back a few pages that we should try to get Bruce Pearl and if we did we would be lucky to have him. I will go further and say if Coach Pearl can't make Auburn a winner in basketball we might as well shut down the program."

http://www.aufamily....06#entry2029894

War Eagle Pearl.

Love this hire! Just the potential of Auburn basketball being relevent and fun to watch again is tickling my insides.

Great presser.

Whoever decided to use the crazy positive momentum and excitement that built over the weekend culminating today with the hiring announcement to have the presser in the arena with the students was a brilliant move.

Think about where this bball program came from the middle of last week to thousands of students at a 7:00 press conference on a Tuesday. I think CBP is gonna do Awright.

Hearing Coach Pearl talk about how hard JJ went after him really surprised me. For years I was of the mind that BB was only an after-thought for our Athletics Dept. I am more than happy to eat a plateful of crow and apologize to JJ for any disparaging remarks I have said in the past. JJ has our athletic dept as top notch as I have ever seen it. What a great day!! For the first time in years, I can honestly say I will be traveling to Auburn to see some basketball!!

War Damn Eagle!!

Hearing Coach Pearl talk about how hard JJ went after him really surprised me. For years I was of the mind that BB was only an after-thought for our Athletics Dept. I am more than happy to eat a plateful of crow and apologize to JJ for any disparaging remarks I have said in the past. JJ has our athletic dept as top notch as I have ever seen it. What a great day!! For the first time in years, I can honestly say I will be traveling to Auburn to see some basketball!!

War Damn Eagle!!

I think, in years past, you would be right in thinking that. Now it seems as though they want to make the entire athletic Dept excellent.

War Damn Eagle!!

I think, in years past, you would be right in thinking that. Now it seems as though they want to make the entire athletic Dept excellent.

I agree, and fans can doubt it and poo-poo it; but part of it is a direct result of what has happened at UA. Several of their programs have won National Championships in recent years. I love that JJ and the Athletic Dept. have committed to making AU excellent in all aspects.

What an unbelievable hire! I am beside myself. I can't remember the last time I was so excited for the BB season to start.

War Damn Eagle!!

I agree, and fans can doubt it and poo-poo it; but part of it is a direct result of what has happened at UA. Several of their programs have won National Championships in recent years. I love that JJ and the Athletic Dept. have committed to making AU excellent in all aspects.

What an unbelievable hire! I am beside myself. I can't remember the last time I was so excited for the BB season to start.

Same here Inferno. I'm not a big fan of bball but am absolutely stoked that AU made this hire. Didn't think they'd put the $$$ on the table but they did and got a brand name for a discount price. If/when BP produces, you will see AU's program electrify the SEC.

WDE !!!

The AJC blogs are always good for a few laughs. That "Dawg in Lex" guy once posted that he had a kid in school at UF that sat on an honors committee when Cam Newton was charged with cheating. I posted (complete with links) that honors committee meeting agendas were a matter of public record and Cam Newton was never called before such a committee. I then asked him if he was a liar when he said he had a kid there or if he did have a kid there and the kid was a liar. His response got him suspended for some number of days. :)

Archived