SPLASH! AUBURN HIRES BRUCE PEARL AS BASKETBALL COACH

augolf1716

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be consistent. I'm not proud of this hire. First time I can recall AU hiring any coach with the "baggage" that BP brings.

You and I would have both looked elsewhere. Now, we should hope JJ knows what he is doing and move on. From this point on I'll be supporting the AU basketball program and its new coach just as I have every AU coach since Bill Lynn.

Love the hire, but does anyone else think it is ironic (or whatever word may be accurate) that he is interviewed on the football practice field? "Hey Bruce, we love to have ya here, but football is always going to be #1. Don't let that bother ya." Yes, I know he was at Tennessee which has a big football program as well, but still.

Probably went down that way because ESPN was already set up there to cover spring practice. And Pearl knows that he has just inserted himself into a football crazed school with no BB history to speak of really. He knows this and he still accepted the job and looks to be extremely fired up about it!!! THAT is why he is the man for the job. He has the personality and attitude to make AU basketball matter again. War Eagle coach Pearl!

+1

Just to be consistent. I'm not proud of this hire. First time I can recall AU hiring any coach with the "baggage" that BP brings.

You and I would have both looked elsewhere. Now, we should hope JJ knows what he is doing and move on. From this point on I'll be supporting the AU basketball program and its new coach just as I have every AU coach since Bill Lynn.

Nice post. Unlike you, I was hoping we got this guy because he possesses the type of BIG personality that is going to be required to resuscitate our dying program. I have family that lives in Knoxville and they love the guy and wish they could have gotten him back. His transgressions cost him dearly and he paid the price. Im good with it and glad to see you taking the position you have.

So now Auburn has a proven winner and dynamic presence to run its basketball program.

What others see as a wasteland – an average of 14 victories a season since 2003 – Pearl no doubt views as a sleeping giant. Atlanta and its great pool of talent is less than two hours up Interstate 85. It's a pretty town, with a great campus and new facilities, so he'll recruit nationally. The fans are there waiting for a winner. Why wouldn't kids from anywhere want to come be a Tiger?

"I'm proud of everything we did in Knoxville," Pearl always said. "Except for one thing. And that's what I've learned."

On Tuesday, Auburn made sure that's in the past now. This unusual career of this one-of-a-kind basketball personality is on track again.

Everything is possible again.

Bruce Pearl is back. The Auburn Tigers are about to arrive.

Wetzel: http://sports.yahoo....-192559755.html

Nice post. Unlike you, I was hoping we got this guy because he possesses the type of BIG personality that is going to be required to resuscitate our dying program. I have family that lives in Knoxville and they love the guy and wish they could have gotten him back. His transgressions cost him dearly and he paid the price. Im good with it and glad to see you taking the position you have.

Hit the nail dead on. This is exactly what our program has needed for DECADES.

Hit the nail dead on. This is exactly what our program has needed for DECADES.

No question BP arrives with enthusiastic support from students which should immediately help the program and help recruiting. I expect he will do well right away and as we've discussed a few times lately, the SEC West for certain is ripe for the picking. IMO, there will be no defections with this coaching change.

Wow -- saw Coach Bill Lynn referred to in a post on here! Good for you! I remember him well and those since. Havent lived in Auburn since 1979, and am not a big basketball person, but I am excited to see this happen. When I lived in Auburn, I loved all the sports and it was fun to attend (anyone remember Swede & wrestling? - great fun). While I cant attend Basketball games now because of distance, it will be fun to actually have a dog in the hunt again!!! WDE JJ & BP! I believe all AU alumni are smiling about this!

Wow -- saw Coach Bill Lynn referred to in a post on here! Good for you! I remember him well and those since. Havent lived in Auburn since 1979, and am not a big basketball person, but I am excited to see this happen. When I lived in Auburn, I loved all the sports and it was fun to attend (anyone remember Swede & wrestling? - great fun). While I cant attend Basketball games now because of distance, it will be fun to actually have a dog in the hunt again!!! WDE JJ & BP! I believe all AU alumni are smiling about this!

Great fun? you must be kidding....I took wrestling PE under Coach Umbach and he worked us to death....basically looking for some raw material for his wrestling team since I don't think there were any scholarships back in the early 1960s.

There were scholarships -- I knew several guys who came to AU on wrestling scholarships. I meant watching the matches were fun -- usually because AU dominated. Rasslin itself is work - hard work. Hate we had to do away with it

Sorry AU64 -- there were scholarships in the 70s == don't know about earl 60s. Word to the wise would have been to take archery instead of wrestlng!

Sorry AU64 -- there were scholarships in the 70s == don't know about earl 60s. Word to the wise would have been to take archery instead of wrestlng!

He actually recruited a couple of guys from our class...not me of course. Back in those days it was either rasslin' or boxing....take your choice. But as noted, basketball ball was fun in the old Sports Arena when it was a snakepit with fans ringing the court almost touching the sidelines.....in the days of Joel Eaves.

So maybe BP can bring back that atmosphere.

I feel weird not having a QB competition for football and now actually looking forward to basketball season. It just doesn't seem right...

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate

Pearl on ESPN: "I needed someone to believe in me."

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate

Jay Jacobs said assistants will “do the work” in recruiting until Pearl’s show-cause penalty expires.

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate

Pearl said he’s going to work on offenses, defenses and current players while the show-cause penalty remains in place.

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate

Pearl: “There will be at least one or two new guys on my staff."

Mike Szvetitz ‏@Szvetitz

Bruce Pearl said on ESPN the biggest thing about the Auburn job was "I needed somebody to believe in me. I needed somebody who wanted me

Joel A. Erickson ‏@JoelAEricksonAU

Bruce Pearl on ESPN: "We're a fast-breaking, pressure team."

Here's the keys to our beat up sports car, Bruce! We believe you have what it takes to get her places she hasn't been in a long, long time. Fast and furious!

I feel weird not having a QB competition for football and now actually looking forward to basketball season. It just doesn't seem right...

With you on that AUTUMike. Not really being a bball person I have't been interested in AU bball since Eddie Johnson, or was that Eddie Murphy ? I forget which. But I'm definitely looking forward to what we do in the future for sure with BP on board.

WDE !!!

In my opinion, this is a bigger splash than the Malzahn hire, and I wouldn't trade Gus for anyone, including the munchkin in Tuscalooser. I honestly thought AU wouldn't do it but Jacobs surprised me and I'm damn glad he did. It's been a long time since basketball was more than just something to tolerate until Spring football for us AU fans.

Archived