Redevelopment of Samford Park at Toomer’s Corner

RunInRed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Auburn and pretty much go on campus a couple times every month. Toomer's Corner looks very nice although it is hard to even walk there without thinking about the lost tree. But, looking at the renderings of what is to come, I must say, I'm very excited. So while there will always be sadness because of the loss of the original tree and the tradition behind it, I think we may have an area that looks nicer than it ever has and will serve the same purpose. One thing Harvey Updyke and those like him will NEVER understand is the spirit of Auburn people. You can knock us down, but if you do, you best expect that we will get back up and be better than before. In the end, we always find a way to succeed no matter the circumstances. War Eagle!

I really hope there is some sort of plaque or something to memorialize the vandalism conducted by a bammer. It should be a legend that shames them.

And for the ones who try to dissociate Updike from their University, tough luck.

You've got him like it or not. He became a hero to far too many of you. It will be a permanent blot on your so called tradition. As it should be.

As for rolling Toomers, it started with the electrical wires crossing the intersection. I am fine with going back to something similar that doesn't involve a tree.

I saw about 1/3 of the bamzos at the Ironbowl following updykes fessing up wearing "Updyke Tree Service" tshirts, you know bammers that disassociate themselves from it?

http://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2014/11/auburn-university-announces-plan-to-replace-iconic-oaks-feb.-16,-2015-will-plant-30-descendant-trees-in-2016.htm

"The university also announced that two large live oaks will be planted at the College Street and Magnolia Avenue intersection on Feb. 16, 2015, completing Phase I of the project."

Also, check out the forestry department having 30 backup trees from original acorns to plant along the promenade.

35 foot tall children of the original Oaks will soon be thriving at Toomer's Corner! This is wonderful news and frankly gave me chills when I read it. Now my grandchildren and their grandchildren will be able to share the best tradition in all of college football! My hat's off to all of the dedicated people who are making this happen.

toomer530.jpg

Archived