2014 Spring Practice - Day 7

McLoofus

Interesting. The Harding move implies four things: (1) we're trying to compensate for losing Swain; (2) the coaches really prefer Garrett at Star (over WLB); (3) they're trying to find ways to get Harding on the field; and (4) they like what they have at Safety enough to lose a body back there.

No offense to you but, I'd like to get a second opinion from Mikey. He is an expert at linebacker depth and development. There is no one better.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point. Can we get a ruling on Harding's potential as an All-SEC performer?

Interesting. The Harding move implies four things: (1) we're trying to compensate for losing Swain; (2) the coaches really prefer Garrett at Star (over WLB); (3) they're trying to find ways to get Harding on the field; and (4) they like what they have at Safety enough to lose a body back there.

maybe they just think his physical and mental makeup suits him and/or the team better at LB.

A player can be cross trained at multiple positions. Our starters at LB will be Frost and Cassinova. Everyone else will be providing depth.

I think Miller gets the nod over Coleman just from the quotes mentioned above. I think Coleman gets a fair amount of reps though. The quote that stood out to me was about miller's consistency which is important at LT.

There is a lot of attention circling around Corey Grant and the lack of talk about Barber (compared to the huge amount of attention he got before spring) is interesting. I believe it'll be a running back by committee like the beginning of last year with Grant/CAP getting a bulk of the carries.

I believe Tre got such a huge portion of the carries late in the year because he was playing hot and they knew he would be leaving. Since it's CAP and Grant's last year I think Malzahn will showcase them well Barber still potentially has 3 3 more years after this one with the team.

50/50

No offense to you but, I'd like to get a second opinion from Mikey. He is an expert at linebacker depth and development. There is no one better.

Agree 100%

A player can be cross trained at multiple positions. Our starters at LB will be Frost and Cassinova. Everyone else will be providing depth.

I think Miller gets the nod over Coleman just from the quotes mentioned above. I think Coleman gets a fair amount of reps though. The quote that stood out to me was about miller's consistency which is important at LT.

There is a lot of attention circling around Corey Grant and the lack of talk about Barber (compared to the huge amount of attention he got before spring) is interesting. I believe it'll be a running back by committee like the beginning of last year with Grant/CAP getting a bulk of the carries.

I believe Tre got such a huge portion of the carries late in the year because he was playing hot and they knew he would be leaving. Since it's CAP and Grant's last year I think Malzahn will showcase them well Barber still potentially has 3 3 more years after this one with the team.

I read some talk about Barber on SECrant today. They said they heard that Barber is playing great. He has the best pass catching skills of all the RB's and is fast, and powerful. The person mentioned he has the skills to start but also said that all the back are close this spring.

That's already been ruled out. Remember the only "likely" candidate Auburn has to make ALL SEC LB is Tre Willaims. At least, I guess that is who he was referring to when he alluded to an incoming freshman.

Guest jojo1515

In 33 years, Barber will be in his early 50s. I dont see him playing RB at AU then...

In 33 years, Barber will be in his early 50s. I dont see him playing RB at AU then...

Golf is still ready to suit up after 88 years ... don't be so sure.

I read some talk about Barber on SECrant today. They said they heard that Barber is playing great. He has the best pass catching skills of all the RB's and is fast, and powerful. The person mentioned he has the skills to start but also said that all the back are close this spring.

Just checked over there and couldn't find it. What thread was it in?

You are nuts if you think Gus is sentimental enough to care how many years a guy has left. He will play whomever gives us the best chance to win.

You are nuts if you think Gus is sentimental enough to care how many years a guy has left. He will play whomever gives us the best chance to win.

Hopefully we can do both. Not only is winning important to the future but a line of RBs starting to go into the league again is also important. The top RB recruits are attracted to that. So for that very reason I'm hoping both CAP and Corey have NFL seasons to keep the ball rolling. Especially with the O line we are building, RBU should have a Junior or Senior RB that is good enough to go into the league almost every year if we are attracting the type of talent we should.

Agree 100%

Since someone asked: I'd say since Harding has yet to play LB and he has three years left, his chances of becoming an all-SEC LB are better than any returning LB currently on the squad. That would include Swain, if he's considered to be on the squad.

Oh and Ole Miss fans are still extremely pissed that we got Barber...

That's good to hear. Hopefully after his performance this year, they'll be even more pissed.

That's good to hear. Hopefully after his performance this year, they'll be even more pissed.

Indeed. Ole Pissed.

Indeed. Ole Pissed.

Isn't that the pet name the Mrs gave Golf

Indeed. Ole Pissed.

Isn't that the pet name the Mrs gave Golf

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If not, it definitely should have been.

If Harding is now as big as I saw listed then I am all for him moving to LB. Gus talked him being a big time hitter so again I like the move.

With Coleman and Miller being locked up in a battle for the LT position. I would favor Coleman over Miller at this moment. The reports are Coleman is a better run blocker and my guess is that we stay something like 60-40 run to pass this coming season. Advantage: Coleman

Grant talks about being better running inside but after watching last year. I would still bet that Payne and Barber get more carries.

Just my opinions not worth anything.....

Any word on uzohma. Haven't heard much about him? I know I misspelled his name.

He's been splitting reps at H-Back. I think I recall one generic "we have some good options at H-Back" comment from Gus, but that has been about it.

He's very versatile, but I think we will see him playing more true TE and see a mix of Parks and Fulse at H-Back.

Any word on uzohma. Haven't heard much about him? I know I misspelled his name.

He's been splitting reps at H-Back. I think I recall one generic "we have some good options at H-Back" comment from Gus, but that has been about it.

He's very versatile, but I think we will see him playing more true TE and see a mix of Parks and Fulse at H-Back.

thanks guys. I felt he was one of our more sure handed WRs..

Gus Malzahn: Shon Coleman looks like the player they recruited four years ago when he was healthy...

That sounds to me like a pretty strong endorsement that he's going to be the starter.

Archived