Political activity outside work place/ work hours

channonc

So this is probably for the lawyers or HR managers out there (I realize any opinion expressed here is not a legal one). But I have a work place question. Can an employer prohibit you from volunteering for a political campaign, if your volunteer time would be strictly during non-work hours and you made it clear any actions do not represent your employer?

So this is probably for the lawyers or HR managers out there (I realize any opinion expressed here is not a legal one). But I have a work place question. Can an employer prohibit you from volunteering for a political campaign, if your volunteer time would be strictly during non-work hours and you made it clear any actions do not represent your employer?

Companies and organization usually encourage their employees to work or contribute in political campaigns that will help their business.

I think the key is what the political campaign is trying to do. If the campaign is about electing a candidate or passing legislation that would negatively effect the employer, the employee has a conflict of interest. They might also say you have access to company proprietary information and the employee might use that against the company. Of course this is like sawing off the branch you're sitting on in the tree.

I cant see how they could but my guess is it would depend on your employer. If you're employed by a small company they can fire you if they dont like the way you part your hair. Im exaggerating but even though they couldn't prohibit your activities, they could fire you if they disapproved and probably not face any consequences whatsoever. If an employee was terminated and it was proven to be the basis of wrongful termination the company's liability would probably be limited to rehiring the employee. Most people just move on when terminated wrongfully rather than incurring the expense of hiring an attorney and all that.

Companies and organization usually encourage their employees to work or contribute in political campaigns that will help their business.

I think the key is what the political campaign is trying to do. If the campaign is about electing a candidate or passing legislation that would negatively effect the employer, the employee has a conflict of interest. They might also say you have access to company proprietary information and the employee might use that against the company. Of course this is like sawing off the branch you're sitting on in the tree.

I guess I should be a little more specific, by campaign, I mean for a specific candidate. Could be a candida running for a local, state or federal office.

Archived