2015 Forward: Big 5 opponent - New rival?

PatBoCamRob

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UCLA, OK or OK State, Ohio State, are a few that I would like to see. UCLA is a burgeoning power and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they make the playoff this season. USC with Sark will become a contender again. On a lesser scale, if Nebraska is able to climb from mediocrity, I wouldn't mind a series with them. Lincoln is a great college football setting on an early fall Saturday.

Stanford, Iowa, Oklahoma, Florida State. Home and home, not any of that alternate field stuff. It takes away from the game, in my opinion.

I'm not an insider so I know nothing - but here's what I'd do if I was Jay Jacobs.

1. Virginia Tech. JHS and Charlotte. (The VT athletic director worked at Auburn a few years ago). An interesting thought is when Beamer retires/gets fired, would their AD hire Tubby like he dud when he was AD at Cincy?

2. Miami. JHS and Orlando. The Citrus Bowl is getting a massive renovation. It's only 6.5 hours from Auburn so we could pack the place. Plus it offsets only playing in Gainesville every dozen years.

I'm not an insider so I know nothing - but here's what I'd do if I was Jay Jacobs.

1. Virginia Tech. JHS and Charlotte. (The VT athletic director worked at Auburn a few years ago). An interesting thought is when Beamer retires/gets fired, would their AD hire Tubby like he dud when he was AD at Cincy?

2. Miami. JHS and Orlando. The Citrus Bowl is getting a massive renovation. It's only 6.5 hours from Auburn so we could pack the place. Plus it offsets only playing in Gainesville every dozen years.

We should try UCF and USF if we can't miami in o-town or FSU. We need the florida pineline and trust me, I live near USF and they are no threat to beat us anytime soon.

We have to play a Power 5 team per SEC mandate and neither USF or UCF meet that requirement.

We should try UCF and USF if we can't miami in o-town or FSU. We need the florida pineline and trust me, I live near USF and they are no threat to beat us anytime soon.

I saw on twitter that Clemson and Auburn are looking to play more games in the future (or at least Clemson is targeting AU as one of their possible future opponents).

PLEASE, NO. I am so tired of playing Clemson. Its a good game, a pretty big game actually but its becoming so common that I only get slightly more excited to play Clemson than Arky or the Mississippi schools.

I mean, damn! We play Clemson more often than we play South Carolina and the Cocks are actually in our conference.

I just can't stand Dabo and we don't need Clemson. We need to look for a big name school such as PSU, Michigan, Texas, So Cal, etc., for big time made for TV home and home matchups. We get little national exposure playing teams like Clemson, Ga Tech, etc., and risk a season killing loss. Either go big or stay home and play the "rent a win" teams.

The only ACC schools that I would want to play is Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, or North Carolina. No more Clemson or Ga Tech!! I'm tired of playing that same ole teams every few years.

Let's play Stanford, UCLA, or Oregon. I wouldn't mind playing USC again, but only after we play these teams first.

Let's play Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, or Ohio State. No more Wisconsin!

Let's play Texas, Oklahoma, or Baylor. No more West Virginia!

I would be ok with Clemson when Dabo is gone. He is what ruins it for me. The whiny attitude of that team plays off the coach and aggravates me. Reminds me of another coach in the SEC, his mentor perhaps.

home and home with Stanford would be fun.

home and home with Stanford would be fun.

I like the way you think. Screw flyover country, let's take the bus out to the West Coast!

In recent years, for me one of the most agonizing regular season losses out of the conference was South Florida in 2007. I don't know why, but that game just got to me for some reason. I have been wanting a rematch against them for a while. Though, playing them now wouldn't count as our out of conference required game. So, it's unlikely that they get matched up anytime soon.

Here are three teams from each conference I want to see Auburn play a home and home against:

(I listed the series records as well)

ACC: Miami(7-4), Georgia Tech(47-41-4), Florida St.(13-5-1)

Big Ten: Ohio St.(1-0-1), Michigan(1-1), Michigan St.(1-0)

Big 12: Oklahoma(0-1), Oklahoma St.(Never Played), Texas(3-5)

Pac-12: Stanford(Never Played), UCLA(Never Played), Washington(Never Played)

We have to play a Power 5 team per SEC mandate and neither USF or UCF meet that requirement.

It gets us the Florida game though, which is more important for recruiting than playing some power team in an area of the country that has never heard of us. If not a big florida school, then try for va tech. They never beat good teams, can get us on tv, and virginia actually had some good recruits last year.

I think it was on Bleacher Report that said Jay Jacobs is talking to a conference that's closer to Auburn. If that's true, that tells me we'll see some ACC teams in 2016 and beyond. Let's get home and home deals with Wake Forest and Maryland.

How about a home and home with Hawaii. They are an upper DI team.

No, they aren't.

However, the road trip for the game would make for a great mini-vacation.

I think it was on Bleacher Report that said Jay Jacobs is talking to a conference that's closer to Auburn. If that's true, that tells me we'll see some ACC teams in 2016 and beyond. Let's get home and home deals with Wake Forest and Maryland.

Maryland is Big-10 team now, as of this season. And it doesn't benefit AU to schedule a home and home with either team.

No thanks. Unless you're talking basketball.

Maryland could be somewhat attractive, as could NCState...

I like the UW and UCLA talk on here, but don't see it happening.

I see no reason to play Gtech or FSU, we would gain nothing as we are already a hot commodity in their fan base geographical area, and no real reason to give them a charge should they potentially beat us...

Louisville could be good to continue on... And I have always like the Idea of Miami on the schedule (in my own head)

Baylor also would be a lot of fun.

I think we might see a UCLA series. Why? because ESPN wanted us to play UCLA in the Chick-fil-A Class to open the 2010 season. Also,both teams would have gotten a nice pay check.

However, Jay Jacobs said no to that idea. some fans like myself waned to us to play a big name team to start that season. But instead, we pay Arkansas State 1 million bucks to open the season at Jordan-Hare.

^(Cough, beating a dead horse, cough.)

We were already playing Clemson that year, and we would have had to go to UCLA the following year…on top of having to make the return trip to Clemson, and traveling to LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, South Carolina, and hosting Alabama--six teams that finished with at least 10 wins. The '11 schedule was bad enough.

Archived