130 environmental groups call for ened of capitalism

cooltigger21

It says 130 groups signed on. It goes on to say that those 130 groups surprised even the U.N. delegates.

Not exactly. Sixth paragraph of OP reference:

"Climate-change news analysis site RTCC reports that it’s unclear which groups signed onto the declaration, adding that it runs in the face of the “green economy” solutions to global warming backed by rich nations."

Again, this was clearly a "backwater" conference. Really, 130 environmental groups?!

I'd like to see the list. Probably included neighborhood "groups". I doubt there would be one recognizable name.

In fact, one of the main points of the article is about how such a declaration bucks the policy of larger environmental organizations. (Thus the surprise by the UN delegates)

This is much do do about nothing. It's the result of denier groups searching for anything to trump, no matter how trivial.

It wasn't that hard to find the list. http://www.precopsoc...s-participantes

Also have any of you bothered to read the actual declaration? Its very radical. I don't know if its a backwater conference or not but it was backed by the UN. "The declaration will be handed to environment ministers when they meet ahead of the UN’s main round of talks in Lima this year."

"It wasn't hard to find the list" (says the Librarian) ;);D

To be truthful, I didn't look. I get tired of doing all the research in "denier threads".

Anyway, like I said, I didn't recognize a single one. (Not to say there aren't some important representative groups on the list.)

And no, I didn't read the declaration as I don't understand Spanish. Do you have links to an English translation?

lol...I don't know any of the groups but that could be because I don't keep up with the movement. I saved a copy after I used google translate. The formatting is messed up a little. How do you attach a file on here?

Search me. All I know to do is attach a link. I don't think you can attach a file.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give me a minute to get back to my desk at work. I'll paste the translation. It's still pulled up on my desktop.

It wasn't that hard to find the list. http://www.precopsoc...s-participantes

Also have any of you bothered to read the actual declaration? Its very radical.

It is. Can you read Spanish or did you have to rely on Google translate like me?

I don't know if its a backwater conference or not but it was backed by the UN. "The declaration will be handed to environment ministers when they meet ahead of the UN’s main round of talks in Lima this year."

...and promptly dismissed without consideration, I'd imagine.

I could read the greeting...two semesters of Spanish in college and thats about all I retained. I used google translate for the rest. I have no doubt it was dismissed by most. Every group has at least one extremist in it in my opinion so I'm sure the UN is no different. I'm not much of a fan of the UN in general.

That is probably true in a general sense, but in this case, the extremist wasn't in the UN, he/she merely attended the UN-sponsored conference. Even the OP article pointed out how surprised the UN was about it.

No, I know. What I meant was there is probably one UN member who believes the way the radicals at the conference do. Not that the UN as a whole was taking it seriously.

Not to pick, but why do you say that?

Lol..no problem. I don't consider it picking. I say that because of my previous statement of belief. There is always at least one person in every group who is extreme in one way or the other. Like on our board; I'm sure there is at least one radical on here. The person may be radically right or radically left. There may be both. Nothing to do with the UN in particular. Does that answer the question?

It's disjointed and long. Having THIS handy will help if there is a passage you can't make sense of. I'll try and proof it more later.

Margarita Declaration on Climate Change

Preparatory Meeting for Social PRECOP,

15 al 18 July 2014

Margarita Island, Venezuela

Changing the system, not the climate

We, women and men representatives movements and social organizations gathered on the island of Margarita between 15 and 18 July 2014, committed and you committed with the good life, in harmony with the ecosystems of the earth as way to combat the current environmental crisis and climate change, their most ferocious; worried and concerned about the largely ignored social dimension of this crisis but full and full of hope and faith in the creative powers of the people engine as necessary to achieve substantial changes in the system; hello and welcome to the social processes that live and build from different countries, communities and models of society.

Considering that there is a social dimension of climate change and an inalienable right of peoples to be protagonists in the construction of their own destinies.

Considering that each country live a particular historical context in a complex world, composed of diverse experiences and visions from where arise initiatives processing.

Considering that the climate crisis is the result of systems development unsustainable and incompatible with the happiness of peoples.

Whereas, the environmental issue is a political issue and it is responsibility of governments and the multilateral system to hear the voices of peoples.

Considering that it is the people who suffer the consequences of climate change, those who live and understand its dimensions those social and moral strength and creativity needed to change course toward fair and sustainable systems that enable lasting happiness in harmony with the cycles of Nature.

Considering that developing countries face different types of problems and suffer greater consequences compared to climate change than developed countries.

We declare, GENERATIONS EQUITY AND RIGHTS FUTURE GENERATIONS

"Let's go forward, we let's bring here and sembrémoslo" (I think this means “cultivate” or “sew”)

Hugo Chavez

1. "Men and women have transformed into monsters consumers who are consuming all resources He has given us the land."

Genesis Carmona, 11, representative Child elect environmental movements Venezuela.

2. We share our experiences around the world to understand and build real solutions. Solidarity with comrades who are in other parts of the world is understand its context, is to understand the struggle for life, sovereignty and identity.

3. The change depends on the ability of our generation produce a counter-culture to transform the model consumption towards the good life, to cooperative societies Global. We must create a revolutionary counterculture. The role of youth is to open the way, open the cracks of a system is unsustainable.

4. Youth must be politicized and empowered. Most important is that youth have willingness and ability to transform things. We must change the system and start best mobilize our forces; is not just an environmental issue, it is a deeply social issue, ethical, political and cultural.

5. We have to change our perception of power and drive diverse and inclusive, open spaces thought intercultural. We have to move from talk to action transformative.

6. The world needs corrective before the damage is irreversible denounce the lack of political will of the richer countries.

7. Education has to look like the society we dream, has to be revolutionary, you have to transform reality, if is not able to transform not work. The cornerstone of the transformations is education and communication.

8. The environment should be a pillar of the student curriculum. There are to rethink the way we educate on environment and Climate Change. We have to open new space where discuss the root causes of the environmental crisis. Young have to drive these changes. The hegemonic system will terrified of having an educated population because it would question the power structures.

9. Colonialism continues to operate. Climate change occurs in historical context in which a group of countries based its development practices that led to the current environmental crisis, including climate change, while others suffer worst consequences of this crisis. Developed countries, cause of climate change, try to divert the discussion to technological or market solutions, evading their historical responsibilities.

10. The struggles of the South must be supported from Northern countries. Rich countries must commit to seeking a solution to climate change, northern youth should pressure their governments. There is not much time left, the north must assume their historical responsibility and youth should push for this to happen.

11. We need to reclaim the notion of solidarity, understanding differences between countries, different historical contexts, the right to good living and responsibilities development. The transition cannot be restricted to reduce emissions, it must be a just transition to ensure that villages in the south are not affected.

12. We have to create our own dreams, forget the dream perverse developmental, inspiring ourselves. Share a new narrative from our experiences.

GOOD LIVING

Climate Ethics: differentiated responsibilities and

respective capabilities

13. Need to reach an alternative model based development on the principles of living in harmony with nature, governed by the absolute limits and boundaries ecological sustainability and capacity of mother earth; that is fair, equitable and to build sustainable economies, moving away from energy-based models fossil fuels and hazardous energy, which is guaranteed and recognizes respect for Mother Earth's rights women, children, adolescents and different genres, the poor, vulnerable minority groups and indigenous peoples originating. A model that is fair, equitable and promotes peaceful coexistence of our people. We also want a society where rule of law prevails Mother Earth on measures of neoliberal policies, globalization economic and patriarchalization; Mother Earth as without no lifetime.

14. The main cause of the climate crisis are the systems political and economic nature commodify and objectify and life, impoverishing the spirituality of humanity, imposing developmentalism and consumerism, generating regimes inequitable, operators of means and unsustainable. This global crisis is exacerbated by the unsustainable logging practices and consumer countries elites developed and developing countries. We call on the leaders of the North, not carry practices perverse depleting the planet, not the leaders of South follow the models of development in the Northern caused this crisis of civilization. We encourage you to build a alternative way to achieve fair societies and economies, equitable and sustainable. This requires that countries developed to meet their moral and legal obligations, special attention to vulnerable countries and communities and marginalized, removing barriers to achieving objective of preserving life on the planet and saving the human species. Also urge them to comply with the financial support and transfer of technologies for safe and locally appropriate, barrier-free and rights of property intellectual, strengthening capabilities and enshrining the principles contained in the Convention Climate Change and the Earth Summit in Rio, especially the common but and respective capabilities, the principle of precaution and the principle of gender equality

15. According to scientific evidence, not to exceed 1.5 degrees temperature increase would be necessary to leave the 80% of the known reserves of fossil fuels under the earth. For this it is necessary that the developed countries reduce consumption and immediately extract fossil fuels. It is also necessary to recognize the rights of developing countries that depend extraction of fossil fuels as a source of income. Developing countries need time to transition just to reduce the dependence of this activity, while that developed countries should provide support, without constraints to developing countries to perform this urgent transition.

16. Changing demand patterns of production and consumption, taking into account historical responsibilities emissions of nations and corporations, and nature cumulative, recognizing that atmospheric space carbon is finite and must be distributed equitably among countries and their peoples.

17. The inequitable historical over-budget Driven by global corporations and emissions systems ruling has helped generate economic inequities the capacities of countries. Some key indicators for measure this disparity would be: the national greenhouse gas greenhouse gases per capita since 1850, distribution and magnitude of wealth and national income and resources technology that has a country. These indicators can be used to determine the fair share of effort for each country (budget issues) if respect the limits of the earth and recognize historical responsibilities, development needs sustainable, damage and loss of climatic origin, and need for technology transfer and financial support.

18. We demand the implementation of a Court of Justice, Ethics and Moral Climate Change, where mankind in general You can report this issue related offenses.

19. We reject any attempt to implement or promote solutions or answers dangerous and unethical to Change Climate; solutions by which rich countries industrialized and corporations pursue the objective end use climate change as a means of profit. Some of these false responses, such as production and markets carbon in our forests and soils, the implementation of

"Program to Reduce Carbon Emissions caused from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) "and biofuel production, are already leading to ownership and land fragmentation.

Social impact of climate change

20. The environmental issue is a political issue that has to do with the power, so it is necessary for peoples and movements social and are empowered to participate in making the decisions that affect them.

21. Risk management must be rooted in social and local including national, local and community warning systems, prevention and risk management as an integral part of the adaptation processes.

22. Planning should be participatory, to a habitat (urban or rural) built and managed by everyone, which meets the needs of the individuals who live in their context specific action.

23. We need to generate structural changes in the models Dominant production, distribution and consumption, rejecting commodification of nature as a solution to the climate change.

24. We demand the repair of historic debts, rejecting funding proposals that do not generate transformations effective towards a sustainable solution.

25. It should promote the practice of Good Living: feel good, live fully, being in balance and harmony with others and respect the cycles of life, Mother Earth.

26. We promote participatory land management, promoting social dialogue, with the participation of women in decision-making and implementation mechanisms for mitigation and adaptation to change climate.

27. You need to rescue ancestral technologies and training and popular support technologists and technologists capable to create new technologies that contribute to mitigation and adaptation to climate change.

28. Communities must have access to information on negotiations on climate change through strategies designed for this purpose.

29. We must include the issue of climate change in thinking in all educational levels and disciplines, focusing education its structural causes.

30. You need to design strategies to ensure the safety social workers and dialogue between them and the governments, in the transition to a new economic model answer to the problem of climate change.

31. Should attract penalty forms and mechanisms punishment and reparation for crimes against nature. This is necessary to understand the violation of Human Rights does not only as an issue of the use of arms, but also as a consequence of other forms of aggression as soil contamination by pesticide use and restriction of access to water.

32. It is necessary to promote small-scale family farming, without pesticides, as an alternative economic model ensure a good and healthy food for the people.

Social participation in decision-making

33. We must organize to ensure life on the planet through a large global social movement. It is necessary change of attitude towards awareness of the power of the united people. As we organized peoples boost transformation system.

34. We must ensure compliance with the Convention especially with regard to the participation of the Social Movements and Organizations.

35. The spaces should be expanded and created new broad and permanent spaces for participation that Social Movements and Organizations contribute their proposals to the orientation of the decision processes negotiation of the Convention.

36. Is necessary to establish mechanisms for information and full participation citizen, national, enabling know and include the views of people around the climate problem and promote transparency in the dissemination of information on the status of negotiations the Convention.

37. The mechanisms of accreditation and funding for participation should be reviewed and improved, so it does not become barriers and impediments to effective participation of Social Movements and Organizations in the processes negotiation of the Convention.

38. Transparency and access to relevant information and appropriate processes in partner participation Social Movements and Organizations in the Convention must guaranteed.

39. It is important to consider the diversity of forms of social organization as a basis for extending the participation of those in the Convention.

40. We propose the creation of a high-level committee for the restructuring of the mechanisms of participation in the Convention. This should include social movements and nongovernmental organizations and have attended countries with significant experience in the field.

41. We reject the interference of corporations in decisions of the United Nations (UN), to the detriment of the rights of peoples and the sovereignty of States.

42. Should be established that public consultation processes guide decision-making in government within the Convention, such as national consultative referendums, with directly affect the climate agreement.

43. We urge the UN public outreach and access to the sessions, meetings and negotiations, with languages ​​and translation languages ​​of their people.

44. Such as material conditions must be ensured time, space and resources for mobilization and participation of social movements and organizations in processes linked to the negotiations on climate change and binding within the UN issues.

45. It is necessary to promote the value of knowledge ancestral Peoples at the same level of importance scientific knowledge as a basis for decision decisions and actions on climate change at the UN and governments.

46. We require the use of specialized language and profusion of acronyms within UN fora does not constitute a exclusion mechanism that prevents understanding the process of climate negotiations by Towns world.

47. You should create synergies between governments and movements Social and NGOs to promote assistance of these working sessions, and the incidence coordinated decision making in the process of negotiation.

Fighting Climate Change: Direct Action

transformation

46. ​​The structural causes of climate change are linked to current capitalist hegemonic system. To combat climate change climate is necessary to change the system.

47. The change of this system should include a transformation in the economic, political, social and cultural systems, local, national, regional and global scales.

48. The education is a right of peoples, a continuous process comprehensive training, fair, free and cross. This is one key driver for transformation and

Building on diversity, women and men new, for the good life and the respect for life and Mother Earth.

49. The education should aim to reflect, evaluate, create, awareness, awareness, live, participate and act. When talk about education to address climate change, talk about their causes and responsibilities historical and current, we also talk about poverty, inequality and vulnerability of the people, especially the indigenous peoples and other groups historically excluded and victimized.

50. The social participation is a key driver for transformation. It is necessary to promote the integration of include social movements and peoples and their organizations in decision-making at all levels.

51. Any transformation mechanism should incorporate principles of respect for life and human rights; sovereignty of peoples; solidarity; just transition and recognition ecological limits and the rights of Mother Earth; should also consider the common but differentiated, the ancestral indigenous peoples, different forms and levels of vulnerability of countries and peoples, especially indigenous peoples and other groups historically excluded and victimized humans.

52. Reject false solutions to implementing change climate such as carbon markets and other forms of privatization and commodification of life, geoengineering agrofuel production, measures to promote agribusiness and food production harm so agroecological such as the use of GM seeds and pesticides, synthetic fertilizers and any other data that violates priority right to good living, health and the eradication poverty enshrined in the Convention. Reject also the green economy, property rights intellectual; the mega dams, monoculture and energy nuclear.

53. You need to know and take into account the effects offshore of climate solutions.

54. Propose the following to change the system: or transformation of power relations and decision-making systems for the construction of a popular anti patriarchal power. Or Transformation of production systems agro-food systems, ensuring food sovereignty and security, assessing the knowledge, innovations and traditional practices and Traditional. Or transformation of energy production systems, eradicating dirty energy, respecting the right of peoples to fight poverty and having as just transition principle. Or transformation of energy consumption patterns through formative processes, regulations for large consumers and empowerment of the people over production systems of renewable energies small under community control.

Implement systems of government and planning participatory territories and cities, ensuring fair and sustainable access to land and services urban as well as other means to address the impacts of climate change. Moving from a spendthrift or linear energy system and materials, cyclical one with emphasis on the eradication of unsustainable exploitation of nature and the promotion reduction, reuse and recycling.

Ensure funding from developed countries developing countries for these transformations, and to compensation and rehabilitation for the impacts of climate change. Funding should not be conditioned and resource management supplied should be in the hands of Peoples. or Create accessible mechanisms for the people protection of displaced persons and advocates environmental rights.

Responsibilities North-South: North Commitments

to enhance efforts in the South

55. The financing of mitigation and adaptation from developed countries in developing countries is a moral and legal obligation under the Convention under the historical responsibilities. Funding should be reliable, predictable, adequate and appropriate.

56. All obligations of the North in relation to provision of finance, technology transfer and support compensation for loss and damage must be legally binding.

57. Funding mechanisms should not respond to logic of supply and demand markets, but the compliance responsibilities. It must ensure that the they promote development and reach the communities most vulnerable.

58. The technology transfer from the North to the South should promote processes of appropriation, innovation and development endogenous technology in this regard is essential to consider specific mechanisms to remove the generated barriers by intellectual property rights. Should be encouraged also technology transfer and South-South cooperation,

and the measurement of knowledge of native peoples and elders.

59. The adaptation goes beyond building infrastructure. Injustice, marginalization and social exclusion affect the vulnerability and the ability to adapt. These aspects should be considered in programs for adaptation to change Climate and financing mechanisms.

60. The damage and losses caused by climate change should be considered from the perspective of justice and rights human. Southern governments should receive the North funds needed to compensate for damage or loss. The patterns of South-South solidarity, as the experience of

Venezuela on aid to Caribbean countries and massive programs of housing construction, are a example of solidarity in damages and losses generated by climate change.

61. The military is a major consumer of fossil fuels and one of the largest emitters in the world.

This should be included in global debates Rate Climate. The military sector should be responsible and pay accounts.

62. Civil society as Our task is to work for transformation of our societies and systems production and consumption, which are the cause of climate change, by generating new development paradigms determined by the people. Part of this work should be designed to influence national governments and scenarios international and the United Nations Framework

Convention

Convention on Climate Change.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Lol..no problem. I don't consider it picking. I say that because of my previous statement of belief. There is always at least one person in every group who is extreme in one way or the other. Like on our board; I'm sure there is at least one radical on here. The person may be radically right or radically left. There may be both. Nothing to do with the UN in particular. Does that answer the question?

Yes, but I miss understood.

I thought you meant there was likely a UN representative who endorsed the paper, not that there was probably someone employed by the UN who harbored private thoughts against capitalism generally speaking.

Ben......I think you just got the record for the longest post in the history of AUF.

Nope. I actually remember having a post just as long if not longer recently. I think I was arguing with a conspiracy theorist about Sandy Hook.

Oh well I didn't read either one of them.

I don't blame you. ;)

Yes, but I miss understood.

I thought you meant there was likely a UN representative who endorsed the paper, not that there was probably someone employed by the UN who harbored private thoughts against capitalism generally speaking.

No problem. I thought that was the case. :jossun:

Archived