2014 Fall Practice - Day 8

RunInRed

Gus Malzahn talked with the media after the first part of Auburn's second two-a-day of fall camp ...

a5fFhEk.jpg

Photo via @JayGTate

Malzahn: "First practice of a two a day. It was hot, which was really good. ... We've got to be able to handle the heat."

This morning's practice focused on offense and defense; Malzahn said the second session today will focus on special teams.

Malzahn on the scrimmage: "Guys were really flying around. ... There weren't a lot of 'loafs.'"

Malzahn on D'haquille Williams: "The thing that has really stood out to me is that he's just giving outstanding effort."

@wareagleextra

Gus Malzahn said Auburn's Saturday morning practice was "good on good" on offense vs. defense

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on his defense in Year Two: "They have a better understanding of Coach Johnson's defense"... "they should"

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn on those three freshman RBs: "Who's going to protect the football...that's what on my mind."

Malzahn said the staff has "a plan going into this week...a few guys will get a few more looks...We have a lot of talented new guys."

Malzahn said Chad Slade and Trovon Reed were back at practice today. Austin Golson is still out.

@JFergusonAU

Malzahn: "The second practice tonight will be special teams emphasis." Team is still trying to figure out who the punter will be.

Malzahn on 3 freshmen RBs: "All three young guys will have a chance to help. … In a perfect world, 2 of those 3 will be in the mix."

Malzahn on Duke Williams: "I think he's improved since the spring. … We've kind of zeroed into 1 position for him." Will be at Y to start.

Malzahn cracks a joke about being disappointed his team lost during last nights bowling team-building activity.

@AUBlog

By the end of next week Gus Malzahn says he will have a handle on his personnel and then Auburn will start focusing on Arkansas.

@bmarcello

We heard from Trovon Reed, Johnathan Ford, Melvin Ray & Jaylon Denson after practice. Tried asking Reed about his roommate NM14: "No comment"

@JamesCrepea

Trovon Reed said QBs Nick Marshall & Jonathan Wallace were on Gus Malzahn's bowling team last night that caused him so much disappointment.

@AUBlog

Why no comment on NM14? Is that a joke?

Nope. No joke. Just didn't want to give the reporters material.

Why no comment on NM14? Is that a joke?

Nope. No joke. Just didn't want to give the reporters material.

Bingo...good move on TR's part.

Was thoroughly impressed with both Stevens and Davis as true freshman last year and fully expect them to pick up where they left off.

Was thoroughly impressed with both Stevens and Davis as true freshman last year and fully expect them to pick up where they left off.

I remember Davis making some clutch catches last year, but don't remember much of Stevens paying time.

I remember Davis making some clutch catches last year, but don't remember much of Stevens paying time.

Stevens had a couple touchdowns in garbage times against FAU and others.

Archived