Coach Tuberville's Promise

maryland tiger

Everybody remembers coach Tubs promise to bring home a national championship to Auburn. If we win the Sugar Bowl does this season Vindicate him and his promise?

I think so. He and his team did everything you could ask of a team to win the NC. I think he delivered on his promise and you can't fault him for a crap system.

Everybody remembers coach Tubs promise to bring home a national championship to Auburn. If we win the Sugar Bowl does this season Vindicate him and his promise?

129770[/snapback]

I don't know about "Vindicate him and his promise".....But I hardly think it is his fault we are not in the OB playing for the MNC... :au:

I wouldn't think so...

I know he wants to think that, but wheres the trophy?

I would not want it this year anyway, I want it OUTRIGHT, NO QUESTIONS!!!

Absolutely it counts. Now, neither the fans nor Tubs should rest on their laurels because of it, but to me it should have proven we can do it. Even if we don't win a share of the NC, if we finish 13-0, we will have proven we can. And that's all I wanted, really; to prove wrong all those people that said "Tubs can't get it done. He can't win more than 9 games. He will lay at least one or two eggs every year..." etc. We've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that with the right staff, he can and will get the job done at Auburn. If we continue to be in the running for the SEC every year, and the NC every few years, then the promise is fulfilled.

We will win someones MNC. It won't be the AP or BCS. But we went 12-0. That is as good as anyone elses record. If we go 13-0 I will give them the Clantontiger N.C. The problem with this year is we were not the favorite. From now on, the preseason 1-2 will win the N.C. if they do not lose. That is just not right, but it is the system. Pure Crap.

As far as I'm concerned, he has already proven all he needs to prove. He put together an academically successful team full of upstanding young men. They defeated everyone they played, and they did it with authority and good sportsmanship. Anyone who isn't satisfied with that has a problem.

Yup it counts, and I am not worried about him thinking himself clean of that promise either....... ya'll know he wants the hardware to go with it as much as anyone on here.

I don't think so. I think this year's snub was due in large part to last year's wildly inconsistent season, resulting in a 8-5 finish. We have people actually saying that it was "good" to start the season ranked in the high teens, so that we could "fly under the radar"... :blink: Mission accomplished, we're in the Sugar Bowl. Don't be afraid of high expectations, embrace them, live up to them. Reap the benefits...

Are we to claim a NC this year without the hardware??? How about 1993??? I just don't think so.

Great season though.

WDE

I agree, tuberville has done the best he could do with an inadequate national championship system. what more can you ask of him and the team. i think nothing. my heart goes to the players, coaches and staff.

You are serious? You REALLY have a doubt? :blink:

Please note: AUBURN WON EVERY GAME ON THE SCHEDULE. :thumbsup:

That is ALL a Coach can do.

Next question, and please make it a reasonable one.

Unreal. :blink:

I agree that it satisfies the promise--if we win against Va Tech. I am optimistic that Tub will have even more chances to follow through on his promise. Although we are losing a number of skilled seniors, the recruiting looks incredible at this point, and I finally have confidence that the recruits can be adequately coached. Looks to me like the SEC will be even more competitive with the caliber of coaches being hired, and this year will be recognized as a stand-apart year.

As I recall, the knowck on Tubby was that he would never win 10 games.  oops!

129882[/snapback]

I think one of our resident bammers used to throw that out when talking about his idol, Coach Francis. Its funny how things change over time...

I don't think so. I think this year's snub was due in large part to last year's wildly inconsistent season, resulting in a 8-5 finish. We have people actually saying that it was "good" to start the season ranked in the high teens, so that we could "fly under the radar"...  :blink: Mission accomplished, we're in the Sugar Bowl. Don't be afraid of high expectations, embrace them, live up to them. Reap the benefits...

Are we to claim a NC this year without the hardware??? How about 1993??? I just don't think so.

Great season though.

WDE

129829[/snapback]

Let's remember that we're playing for THIS year's NC, not "this year's and last year's NC" nor "the last 3 years NC." We won EVERY game. We can do no better without playing USC and/or Oklahoma in a playoff format...should include Utah as well IMO.

By saying that this year's snub is a result of last year's inconsistant season, you are saying that the preseason pollsters are correct in using their assessment of LAST YEAR'S TEAMS to formulate THIS YEARS POLL. That is absolutely ludicrous. I've been saying since October that there shouldn't be a poll before October 1. How can you vote on who the top teams are when no team has done anything but run laps and have in-squad scrimmages?! It's also obvious that the pollsters aren't so good at it...just look at the "Week 1" poll versus the current poll. How many teams are even within 3 spots of where they started? I'll tell you:

Texas - preseason #5, current #6

Tennessee - preseason #14, current #15

Virginia - preseason #16, current #18

8 of the preseason top 25 teams are no longer in the top 25.

They guessed (and I mean guessed since they had little to nothing to base their opinions on) that Auburn would only be #18 this year. The current #18 is Virginia...8-3 with 3 conference losses. I'd say we're a wee nip better than they are.

No. It doesn't count.  I want a legitimate national championship.

129871[/snapback]

What is legitimate? I would absolutely LOVE to hear your explanation of what legitimate is. Legitimate is sure not relying on a bunch of moron journalists to decide who the best team is through the use of emotion, the fear of a shrinking ego, and the ignorance of valid statistics (See the article in the Huntsville Times by Paul Gattis).

If you're wondering if we have a right to claim a portion of the NC, then you amaze me. How could we have been better? Maybe if we hadn't pulled our starters in the second half of the ULM, MSU, Citadel, UT, LATech, Arky, and Kentucky games (that's 8 of 12 where we didn't need to score in the second half, 5 of which were SEC opponents). Maybe if we had punched a final score in on Saturday against UT with 4 seconds left to win by 17 instead of 10. Maybe if we had played inconsistantly for the ENTIRE Iron Bowl game and only won in the end as a result of the other team throwing a pick (a la USC's victory this weekend against "gritty" foe, UCLA). Maybe if we gave up 35 points to 2 different teams and won each game by single digits instead of going up on those opponents by 24 and never giving them an ounce of hope. Maybe if we had not lost the Bowling Green game and been forced to pick up the Citadel only months before opening day.

1993 was an anomoly. Had we not been subject to bowl sanctions for breaking recruiting rules, we WOULD HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO PLAY FOR THE NC...no doubt in my mind. But this year we weren't in trouble for anything...not by a long shot. We go undefeated and do one better than 1993 by winning an additional game against a tough ranked opponent in the SECCG. But we still don't get to play in Miami because a handful of sportswriters don't think we deserve it.

Games are decided on the field, not by a group of jounalists. The job of the journalists is to examine the games and teams - hopefully in an objective and scientific fashion - but they still must SUBJECTIVELY determine a list of the 25 best teams. Thus, the process is subjective and the only outcome of a subjective process is a subjective result. There is no way that this system can produce a true champion if it continues to make decisions in this fashioin.

If this were an election, then I would concede that Auburn was not the victor. But it's not an election. It's football. It's a game that can only decide who the better team is through competition. Not by voting, arguing, crying, whining, "politic"-ing, name-calling, smack talking, or spinning. USC and OU may be in the Orange Bowl, but until we are allowed to play the victor of that game (given that we beat VT), I won't ever be convinced that we are only #2.

Let any team take their best shot at us...then let them try to tell us that we're not a champion.

WDE :au:

It certainly counts for me. All anyone can do is to win them all. If we beat Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl I would certainly say that Auburn is the National Championship team in the hearts and minds of it's fans, and that is the only place that matters in the final analysis. I really don't give a fat rat's hind parts what Lee Corso or Kirk Herbstreit or any on those bozos think. They have waffled around every weekend since the beginning of the season about who was #1 and #2. If there were some more games this weekend they would be waffling again. They can annoint Oklahoma or USC all they want, that doesn't mean crap in Lower Alabama. All of the media types want to attack Auburn about the non-conference schedule. Does anyone honestly believe that if we had played Oklahoma's non-conference schedule and they had play our's that the results would have been any different? Hell no, we would have beat the crap out of their's and they would have beat the crap out of our's. That is the biggest bunch of baloney in this whole charade.

As far as I am concerned Auburn is the best team in America and our coach not only delivered on "the promise" he made all the doubters and naysayers look like the bunch of fools that they were all along. I hope Tommy will stay at Auburn as long as he wants to stay. We couldn't ask for a classier guy or a better leader. You know when he got on TV yesterday this whole charade was eating his guts out, just like the fiasco last fall. A lesser man would have just told them to stick it on both occassions, I know I probably would have. And I can't say enough about those young men that he brought to Auburn to respresent us this year. This not only the best Auburn team to ever line up on a football field, they won them all with class, with respect for the game and wth respect for the opponent. They will forever be Auburn men. Way to go guys!

WAR EAGLE!!!

under the current system, there is no such thing as a legitimate national title based on anything but flukish failure by teams that you have no control over. what did ohio state do in 2002 that we didn't do this year? not a damn thing. they just got lucky that everyone else failed. we didn't. that's the only difference. blind luck. so until you have a system where you can prove it on the field, this season is as national championship winning as any other season we could possibly ever have. he did it. he promised us that we'd compete for national titles. he promised that we'd win the title. i didn't see anyone beat us this year. so in my eyes, we won everything that we could win.

... If this were an election, then I would concede that Auburn was not the victor.  But it's not an election.  It's football.  It's a game that can only decide who the better team is through competition.  Not by voting, arguing, crying, whining, "politic"-ing, name-calling, smack talking, or spinning.  USC and OU may be in the Orange Bowl, but until we are allowed to play the victor of that game (given that we beat VT), I won't ever be convinced that we are only #2.

Let any team take their best shot at us...then let them try to tell us that we're not a champion.

WDE  :au:

129890[/snapback]

There 'ya go. Short, sweet & to the point. When AU beats Va Tech to go 13-0 on the season, AU has just as legitimate a claim on a Mythical National Championship as any other 13-0 team. The BCS trophy will be awarded to the Orange Bowl winner who will also be 13-0. In this case, whose to say which team is 'better' without seeing them play on the field? We should be calling the Sugar Bowl the "East Coast BCS Championship." :au: WDE 12-0

I think it was a great season and even if we did play USC or Oaklahoma we still would not be considered #1. If we would have won and the other team who did not play us won then it would be the samething as it is now. If we beat Hokies then we have every right to say we are also Champions.

This was a bad year to crown a Champion because a true champion cannot be crownd without the words "what-if" this year.

Tubby delivered but I see no trophy so I think 2006 will be the magic year.

Give Cox 1 year to develop. We will rise once again in 2006!

It certainly counts for me.  All anyone can do is to win them all.  If we beat Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl I would certainly say that Auburn is the National Championship team in the hearts and minds of it's fans, and that is the only place that matters in the final analysis.  I really don't give a fat rat's hind parts what Lee Corso or Kirk Herbstreit or any on those bozos think.  They have waffled around every weekend since the beginning of the season about who was #1 and #2.  If there were some more games this weekend they would be waffling again.  They can annoint Oklahoma or USC all they want, that doesn't mean crap in Lower Alabama.  All of the media types want to attack Auburn about the non-conference schedule.  Does anyone honestly believe that if we had played Oklahoma's non-conference schedule and they had play our's that the results would have been any different?  Hell no, we would have beat the crap out of their's and they would have beat the crap out of our's.  That is the biggest bunch of baloney in this whole charade. 

As far as I am concerned Auburn is the best team in America and our coach not only delivered on "the promise" he made all the doubters and naysayers look like the bunch of fools that they were all along.  I hope Tommy will stay at Auburn as long as he wants to stay.  We couldn't ask for a classier guy or a better leader.  You know when he got on TV yesterday this whole charade was eating his guts out, just like the fiasco last fall.  A lesser man would have just told them to stick it on both occassions, I know I probably would have.  And I can't say enough about those young men that he brought to Auburn to respresent us this year.  This not only the best Auburn team to ever line up on a football field, they won them all with class, with respect for the game and wth respect for the opponent.  They will forever be Auburn men.  Way to go guys! 

WAR EAGLE!!!

129898[/snapback]

This is, without a doubt, one of the best posts I have ever read. You made my case, and the case of all who truly love Auburn.

Well done...God Bless...WAR EAGLE....O N E at a time. :au:

Archived