AU releases Depth Chart

McLoofus

Who was it that said T.Reed wouldn't get significant playing time? Now is the time to eat your crow.

Why? Second team will get playing time. Nobody expected him to start. I don't have an opinion one way or another, just saying it may be too soon to call others out.

Key word matlock: no significant p.t. Also he was compared to the K. Frazier experience at safety. It wasn't too soon to for that said person to say he wouldn't contribute, so why is it too soon to call this person out for saying it?

Since I didn't expect him to start, 3 series would be significant to me. I am no Matlock (but thanks for the kind words), but I left off significant because it is a relative term. I am saying it is too soon because we don't know how much he will play until the season rolls on. This is just the depth chart. Is it unheard of for someone second on the depth chart to get significant playing time? I can see by your response what I am up against, so I will not respond to you any further.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hutchinson struggled. Needs more time.

Thanks. Was hoping it wasn't a "just isn't going to work out" situation so early in his career.

Anyone have any clue how long Therezie will be out?

All year it looks like.

>:(

Hutchinson had an entire red shirt year, how much more time?

Fingers crossed on RT. Back-up true freshman star at 175lbs?

Good for the three "R's"- Rudy, Roberts, and Ruffin. At a minimum, seems like all will receive a good deal of PT which very few saw coming IMO. Don't know what to think about Hutchinson, too early to write him off though.

Thoughts on Gabe at DE? He seemed pretty locked in at DT...may just be for help pushing back the fattys at Arkansas. Do we see the same starting DL in game 2? I doubt it myself. maybe Gabe has shown out at DE this summer?

This isn't new. They worked him at DT and DE all camp. CRG or CEJ, don't remember which, said that Gabe might be our best DT and our best DE. Also, there's been plenty of talk about the "Rhino Package", with Wright and Adams at DE. In fact, if there's any surprise on DL based on recent comments, it's that Adams is listed as a backup at DT and not at all at DE.

But the DL is the spot (or are the spots) where I think the depth chart matters least. I'm ready for some head-spinning substitutions (and hopeful none lead to head scratching on our parts).

I know it has been discussed a million times but mad props to Shon Coleman officially being a starter. What a journey to this day

:hellyeah:

Not much of anything there is a surprise. That sucks a big one about Therezie. Hope JG stays healthy against arky because we'll be hurting if Ruffin plays significant snaps in that game. I hope we have a plan to get more size on the field should Garret go down or need a rest. It'll also be interesting to see where Gabe plays as the year goes on. Will he take more snaps at DE or DT or will it be about even? Gotta figure playing both helps his draft stock a good bit. I hope Quan watched a LOT of tape of Davis returning punts last year and has figured out you have to get up field fast to be a good punt returner. He danced way to much when he has done it in the past.

Pretty much as expected. Arkansas is banking on wearing down our defense, but the 2-deep front 7 looks pretty good.

Even with all the injuries people are worried about this team still looks loaded.

If Arky thought they had any chance of wearing down on defense, then they did not watch any AU film from last year. Coach Garner will likley play 12 or so people on the Dline to keep them fresh. Our LB's need to be strong as I know we do not rotate them as much. Arky is not a great passing team and will want to run the ball. Our DLine, LB's and Star will need to be ready.

Ruffin seems to be pretty small for a Star. I hope Garrett stays healthy.

Maybe the star in obvious passing situations? A 50 pound drop off is pretty intense.

Ruffin has come in and earned a spot. Kid is going to be very good.

We have lots of very good Star commits in this years class. I would hope that Nick Ruffin would move back to a safety position nexy year. It seems more natural and fits his size a little better. Ruffin was awesome last year at St Pius in ATL. He was one of the best overall players in GA last year.

Surprised that Hutchinson isn't even listed as the backup punter.

Not going to pay too much attention to the DL since those guys are going to rotate so much, but I'm really happy to see Whitaker earn the starting role.

Hutchinson struggled. Needs more time.

Anyone have any clue how long Therezie will be out?

All year it looks like.

Bad news on Therezie.

Star is a very physical position too. Garrett does not have a good history of staying healthy. I hope he can this year...we need him to.

No Mack Alexander listed at Star. I figured he was a shoe for that second or third Star spot. Ruffin must have shown out big time because i always felt M.A would bring that physicality we need at Star against arky.

Gabe Wright gets to take on Arky OL/LT Dan Skipper! The 9-0 Rhino vs the 6'10" QB protector, go get 'em Gabe! WDE!

Gabe should certainly be able to get under him.

I don't recall Therezie exactly laying the wood to anybody last season. I might be wrong, but he seemed to excel a lot more in other areas. And 174 does seem a bit light, but let's not forget that several bigger guys like Mackenro Alexander, Brandon King, Khari Harding and TJ Davis aren't on that depth chart and Ruffin is.

I don't recall Therezie exactly laying the wood to anybody last season. I might be wrong, but he seemed to excel a lot more in other areas. And 174 does seem a bit light, but let's not forget that several bigger guys like Mackenro Alexander, Brandon King, Khari Harding and TJ Davis aren't on that depth chart and Ruffin is.

He lit a few people up on crossing routes a couple of times...

Think maybe Ruffin could come in only on passing situations?But that is a good point, kid must be doing something right. ..

Therezie's a hitter.

Who was it that said T.Reed wouldn't get significant playing time? Now is the time to eat your crow.

Why? Second team will get playing time. Nobody expected him to start. I don't have an opinion one way or another, just saying it may be too soon to call others out.

Key word matlock: no significant p.t. Also he was compared to the K. Frazier experience at safety. It wasn't too soon to for that said person to say he wouldn't contribute, so why is it too soon to call this person out for saying it?

I think you're talking about me. I compared TReed to Frazier, and used the phrasing "cautious optimism" because of how well Frazier did in practice, but not translating to the field. Reed making the pre season DT at 2nd string doesn't prove one way or another. I hope he wins the Thorpe award, but again, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

My observation: Good to see Tre Williams earn a spot on the two deep...also i'm surprised Derrick Moncrief isn't starting...i know it's just the first game and that can change but all i was hearing out of camp was how good he was doing and picking up the defense

confused on the RT thing. rumour was 6 games for "rules". is that not the case, or is no one spilling the beans?

What's the issue with Therezie? Curfew, class attendance, missed team meetings, grades?

Coaches haven't said anything other than "eligibility issues." Discussions in other threads reference a possible failed drug test, but that has yet to be confirmed either by team representatives or by any news organization. If the rumor is true, I would think they would have processed the appeal by now and made a final determination. If it is a full year and not a half season as WDEWDE indicates, that would also lead me to believe the rumor was not accurate. I guess we'll have to wait until Gus decides he wants us to know.

Therezie's a hitter.

and a sure tackler. He don't whiff.

The thing that jumps out to me is that looking further down the chart for players returning next year we have pretty good talent in almost every spot coming back. The OL may take the biggest hit but hopefully we have recruited well for backups.

Archived