AU releases Depth Chart

McLoofus

May be a "Duh" to many others, but I didn't realize Shon Coleman was only a Sophomore (RS-So). I would've guessed he was a Junior or Senior. Anyone who reads Stewart Mandel's articles over at FoxSports (used to be at SI.com) is going to have a record setter come 2016 when he has the king of the "8th year senior team" being Shon Coleman who will be in his 7th year (the 8th year senior term is an exaggeration for those who have seemed like they have played for well over 5 years, most of whom were big time recruits that allotted to mediocre success).

And I'll add my name to the list of those who didn't expect much from Trovon Reed. Like others having stated, when he is considered a contributor then we can talk.

The CJ Uzomah thing is kind of interesting in that the TE / H-Back is now perhaps a hybrid role or perhaps based on the package that comes off the sideline?

Surprised Montravious Adams is second string.... hmmmm

Curious who the #3 RB is because that person is likely to be on the field a fair amount (as was the case with CAP last year).

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hutchinson's absense is odder than odd. This kid boomed punts into the stratosphere all through high school.

Monty Adams at 2d string is a sign of the apocalypse, even if he's just a sophomore. Maybe window dressing respect for the senior ahead of him but maybe also proof that experience is irreplaceable.

I think the Rhino is intended on this AU squad to be only situational (e.g. stopping presumed 3d & short running plays). Looking at the large size of our Rhino group then saying the larger Arky O line can't wear us down is a tall conclusion to make.

Therezie is a larger loss than Lawson IMO because of the difference between their replacement depth.

confused on the RT thing. rumour was 6 games for "rules". is that not the case, or is no one spilling the beans?

What's the issue with Therezie? Curfew, class attendance, missed team meetings, grades?

Coaches haven't said anything other than "eligibility issues." Discussions in other threads reference a possible failed drug test, but that has yet to be confirmed either by team representatives or by any news organization. If the rumor is true, I would think they would have processed the appeal by now and made a final determination. If it is a full year and not a half season as WDEWDE indicates, that would also lead me to believe the rumor was not accurate. I guess we'll have to wait until Gus decides he wants us to know.

This smells like "improper contact" but i am not sure of that...just seems fishy.

OFFENSE

Quarterback

14 Nick Marshall, 6-1, 210, Sr.

6 Jeremy Johnson, 6-5, 230, So.

Running back

44 Cameron Artis-Payne, 5-11, 210, Sr. OR 20 Corey Grant, 5-11, 205, Sr.

H-back/Tight End

11 Brandon Fulse, 6-4, 258, Sr. OR 81 C.J. Uzomah, 6-5, 264, Sr.

Wide Receiver

18 Sammie Coates, 6-2, 201, Jr.

8 Tony Stevens, 6-4, 198, So.

Wide Receiver

1 D'haquille Williams, 6-2, 216, Jr.

82 Melvin Ray, 6-3, 207, Jr.

Wide Receiver

5 Ricardo Louis, 6-2, 212, Jr. OR 4 Quan Bray, 5-10, 195, Sr.

Wide Receiver

80 Marcus Davis, 5-9, 180, So.

10 Stanton Truitt, 5-9, 175, Fr.

Left tackle

72 Shon Coleman, 6-6, 310, So.

71 Braden Smith, 6-6, 299, Fr.

Left guard

62 Chad Slade, 6-5, 315, Sr.

53 Devonte Danzey, 6-4, 296, Jr.

Center

50 Reese Dismukes, 6-3, 295, Sr.

52 Xavier Dampeer, 6-2, 296, Jr.

Right guard

56 Avery Young, 6-6, 315, So.

76 Jordan Diamond, 6-6, 318, So. OR 74 Will Adams, 6-7, 296, So.

Right tackle

51 Patrick Miller, 6-7, 289, Jr.

70 Robert Leff, 6-6, 286, So.

DEFENSE

Left defensive end

97 Elijah Daniel, 6-2, 263, So.

86 DaVonte Lambert, 6-2, 293, Jr.

Defensive tackle

98 Angelo Blackson, 6-4, 306, Sr.

1 Montravius Adams, 6-4, 306, So.

Defensive tackle

54 Jeff Whitaker, 6-4, 322, Sr.

50 Ben Bradley, 6-1, 303, Sr.

Right defensive end

90 Gabe Wright, 6-3, 284, Sr.

10 LaDarius Owens, 6-2, 259, Sr.

Middle linebacker

8 Cassanova McKinzy, 6-3, 249, Jr.

43 Anthony Swain, 6-2, 249, Jr.

Weak-side linebacker

17 Kris Frost, 6-2, 234, Jr.

30 Tre' Williams, 6-2, 225, Fr.

Star linebacker

26 Justin Garrett, 6-1, 224, Jr.

19 Nick Ruffin, 6-0, 174, Fr.

Boundary cornerback

6 Jonathon Mincy, 5-10, 196, Sr.

15 Joshua Holsey, 5-11, 192, Jr.

Field cornerback

3 Jonathan Jones, 5-10, 182, Jr.

25 Trovon Reed, 6-0, 190, Sr.

Boundary safety

23 Rudy Ford, 6-0, 199, So.

24 Derrick Moncrief, 6-2, 218, Jr.

Field safety

9 Jermaine Whitehead, 5-11, 193, Sr.

14 Stephen Roberts, 5-11, 180, Fr.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker

38 Daniel Carlson, 6-4, 216, R-Fr.

39 Alex Kviklys, 6-1, 191, Jr.

Punter

38 Daniel Carlson, 6-4, 216, R-Fr.

85 Matthew Shiel, 5-11, 195, Fr.

Kick Returner

20 Corey Grant, 5-11, 205, Sr./5 Ricardo Louis, 6-2, 212, Jr.

9 Roc Thomas, 5-10, 193, Fr./23 Rudy Ford, 6-0, 199, So.

Punt Returner

4 Quan Bray, 5-10, 195, Sr.

80 Marcus Davis, 5-9, 180, So.

http://www.al.com/au...icial_2014.html

yeah buddy, roc at kick returner hope he takes one to the house to start the game!

Who was it that said T.Reed wouldn't get significant playing time? Now is the time to eat your crow.

Wasn't Kiehl Frazier a backup DB in 2013? See how much time he got..

Yes he was a back-up but never cracked the 2 deep. Big difference.

I don't recall Therezie exactly laying the wood to anybody last season. I might be wrong, but he seemed to excel a lot more in other areas. And 174 does seem a bit light, but let's not forget that several bigger guys like Mackenro Alexander, Brandon King, Khari Harding and TJ Davis aren't on that depth chart and Ruffin is.

Therezie lays wood. His tackling is what he does better than anything else. When he makes contact the runner doesn't pick up extra yards, they usually go backwards.

People are over-thinking the Therezie stuff. It isn't up to AU if the test were not administered by AU. Think Pasadena...

PERHAPS, the result was in question and AU is submitting it's testing to show inconsistencies in THAT test in an effort to appeal...perhaps.

That doesn't make a lot of sense Dixie. Had we played an ineligible player in the championship game I think that would have been heard by now. Plus that is an awful long time for the results to come back and it definitely seemed like Therezie's status changed in the last week or two. I could be wrong but I think what ever came up with RT came up only recently. Now the NCAA is amazingly slow at things so I guess it is possible it took 8 months to get a drug test result back from the NCAA.

It does seems that Gus thought he'd have a definite yes or no by now.....why did some people in this thread say bad news? They have answers

My observation: Good to see Tre Williams earn a spot on the two deep...also i'm surprised Derrick Moncrief isn't starting...i know it's just the first game and that can change but all i was hearing out of camp was how good he was doing and picking up the defense

only cuz rudy stepped up while derrick was out sick,but either way expect much better safety play

Guest jojo1515

Thoughts on Gabe at DE? He seemed pretty locked in at DT...may just be for help pushing back the fattys at Arkansas. Do we see the same starting DL in game 2? I doubt it myself. maybe Gabe has shown out at DE this summer?

This isn't new. They worked him at DT and DE all camp. CRG or CEJ, don't remember which, said that Gabe might be our best DT and our best DE. Also, there's been plenty of talk about the "Rhino Package", with Wright and Adams at DE. In fact, if there's any surprise on DL based on recent comments, it's that Adams is listed as a backup at DT and not at all at DE.

Im aware it isnt new, however even Gabe said he was just bouncing around to be prepared in case he was needed at DE. Thats a whole different story than starting DE. As I said, it may be situational or maybe he showed out in camp at DE and truly is our best option there. Just wonder which

I don't recall Therezie exactly laying the wood to anybody last season. I might be wrong, but he seemed to excel a lot more in other areas. And 174 does seem a bit light, but let's not forget that several bigger guys like Mackenro Alexander, Brandon King, Khari Harding and TJ Davis aren't on that depth chart and Ruffin is.

Therezie lays wood. His tackling is what he does better than anything else. When he makes contact the runner doesn't pick up extra yards, they usually go backwards.

I stand corrected, many times over.

Therezie's a hitter.

and a sure tackler. He don't whiff.

Ran down Yeldon from behind when he busted one up the middle. Big big play. Hope he gets back on the field soon.

Lots of talk about the number of starters lost but take a look at the number of guys that played significant portions of every game last year...maybe they were not starters but they logged a lot of minutes on the field during SEC games. JMO but that "starters returning" is a bogus stat when it comes to coaches like Garner who play 3 deep in about every game.

There has to be more to the Jimmy Hutchinson situation. He was the #1 punter out of HS. He was redshirted. He had a solid performance at A-Day.

My concern with a PK also punting is there is a risk of injury in punting, and if you lose your punter to an injury, there goes your PK.

As for Therezie, most of the time, when I hear "eligibility issue" it is a class or grade thing. Was Therezie enrolled in a summer class but did not make a grade?

There has to be more to the Jimmy Hutchinson situation. He was the #1 punter out of HS. He was redshirted. He had a solid performance at A-Day.

My concern with a PK also punting is there is a risk of injury in punting, and if you lose your punter to an injury, there goes your PK.

As for Therezie, most of the time, when I hear "eligibility issue" it is a class or grade thing. Was Therezie enrolled in a summer class but did not make a grade?

I have no idea but the Brad Lester fiasco is in the back of my mind too.

Who was it that said T.Reed wouldn't get significant playing time? Now is the time to eat your crow.

Why? Second team will get playing time. Nobody expected him to start. I don't have an opinion one way or another, just saying it may be too soon to call others out.

Key word matlock: no significant p.t. Also he was compared to the K. Frazier experience at safety. It wasn't too soon to for that said person to say he wouldn't contribute, so why is it too soon to call this person out for saying it?

Since I didn't expect him to start, 3 series would be significant to me. I am no Matlock (but thanks for the kind words), but I left off significant because it is a relative term. I am saying it is too soon because we don't know how much he will play until the season rolls on. This is just the depth chart. Is it unheard of for someone second on the depth chart to get significant playing time? I can see by your response what I am up against, so I will not respond to you any further.

^^likewise!

Wasn't Kiehl Frazier a backup DB in 2013? See how much time he got..

Yes he was a back-up but never cracked the 2 deep. Big difference.

Thank u^^

It does seems that Gus thought he'd have a definite yes or no by now.....why did some people in this thread say bad news? They have answers

It's bad news if Therezie is indeed out all season. That seems uncontroversial.

It definitely sucks....having him and Garrett out there at the same time is lots of speed and striking ability.

Reed was a top rated CB coming out of high school, not surprised, scouts thought this was his best position.

Hutch, might be able to boom punts, but how quickly you get them off, direct, hang time and still boom them are important at this level.

Reed was a top rated CB coming out of high school, not surprised, scouts thought this was his best position.

Hutch, might be able to boom punts, but how quickly you get them off, direct, hang time and still boom them are important at this level.

Boom them and the hang time will come but his consistent, astounding hang time went into the evaluation that made him the #1 punter in the nation. Direction is a relatively easy adjustment if it ever was an issue (gross speculation) and had he consistently taken too long to get kicks off he would not have been the #1 punting prospect in the nation. Kick distance takes care of most punting issues and Hutch has a monster leg. fwiw, "Outkicking the coverage" is one of the great myths in kicking, it's not as much a productof the kicker as the coverage letting themselves be successfully blocked.

Again, really bizarre he's not in the running this season. IMO.

Archived