Alternate Unis

PatBoCamRob

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are several things we could do that fit some of our existing traditions:

Navy Nightmare/True Blue games = All blue uni

All Auburn All Orange = All orange or orange jersesys (or facemasks :cool:/> )

War Eagle = some kind of tribute to this tradition, the eagle on the helmet or something

Throwback to commemorate 75th anniversary of the stadium (actually wore a throwback helmet not that long ago with blank sides and grey facemask)

Auburn Creed = use of lines/phrases from the creed on the backs of jersey instead of names on a special uni

None would have to modern or crazy like oregon's or maryland's. All would highlight an existing Auburn tradition and would generate apparel sales, get some kind of special segment of coverage during the game (likely pre and post game as well).

If we want to do this, we'll have to be prepared to burn a timeout at the beginning of each quarter. The NCAA doesn't like the idea. Just ask Vandy.

Unless you're talking about using the Auburn Creed the way Maryland did with the text of the Star Spangled Banner.

Maryland-Star-Spangled-Front.jpgMaryland-Star-Spangled-Shoulder.jpg

I'm kinda liking this design. It certainly looks better than Maryland's regular uniform.

That may be a change that the power 5 look to make when they start reworking things.

I just noticed watching the Maryland game that they all have "TRIUMPH" in place of the player names. How did they allow this but not "ANCHOR DOWN"? The NCAA's inconsistency on this and a dozen other things will be their undoing.

Class of 88 so I'm an old guy, while I love our classic unis they aren't classic to my Dad, and today branding is an important part in attracting young players and flashy new unis can be a small piece of the puzzle. I see nothing wrong with the team picking out alternate uniform to spice it up every once in a while.

I have no desire to see us go Oregon with this, but would enjoy seeing occasional alternate uniforms. Everything I hear leads me to think the players would also like it, and it certainly wouldn't hurt recruiting.

I'm curious. In 50 years when we are still wearing the same uniform, will it be considered a throwback uniform? :dunno:

I'm glad we haven't always been opposed to change! Otherwise we wouldn't have the uniforms we have today.

I agree with the above statements. Everyone that says our unis are classic needs to take a step back and look...Each year something changes with them. our unis are never the same. The basic design stays the same but that's it.

Though we do have the greatest unis in the country what was it 2 years ago a poll on ESPN or some other big sports site did a vote on it and Auburn came out on top. That says something as there are not enough Auburn fans to do that on our own.

With all that said I'm not crazy about the orange. But I I'm not apposed to it if UA can do a good looking uni. But I didn't like the "All Auburn/ All Orange" thing either. It's damn difficult to see Auburn fans in the stands on TV when the other team is wearing red or a variant of orange. We tend to pick the wrong teams for this.

What I would love to see is All blue unis for a big home game each year say UGA or Bama, or maybe LSU for this year since our biggest rivals are away games. What I mean is same design just color variants. Oh and I never want to see an Eagle on our helmets, sports caster's already have a hard enough time figuring out that we are the Auburn Tigers, And not the War Eagles.

I'm 41

Class of 88 so I'm an old guy, while I love our classic unis they aren't classic to my Dad, and today branding is an important part in attracting young players and flashy new unis can be a small piece of the puzzle. I see nothing wrong with the team picking out alternate uniform to spice it up every once in a while.

I have no desire to see us go Oregon with this, but would enjoy seeing occasional alternate uniforms. Everything I hear leads me to think the players would also like it, and it certainly wouldn't hurt recruiting.

I'm curious. In 50 years when we are still wearing the same uniform, will it be considered a throwback uniform? :dunno:

I'm glad we haven't always been opposed to change! Otherwise we wouldn't have the uniforms we have today.

I agree with the above statements. Everyone that says our unis are classic needs to take a step back and look...Each year something changes with them. our unis are never the same. The basic design stays the same but that's it.

Though we do have the greatest unis in the country what was it 2 years ago a poll on ESPN or some other big sports site did a vote on it and Auburn came out on top. That says something as there are not enough Auburn fans to do that on our own.

With all that said I'm not crazy about the orange. But I I'm not apposed to it if UA can do a good looking uni. But I didn't like the "All Auburn/ All Orange" thing either. It's damn difficult to see Auburn fans in the stands on TV when the other team is wearing red or a variant of orange. We tend to pick the wrong teams for this.

What I would love to see is All blue unis for a big home game each year say UGA or Bama, or maybe LSU for this year since our biggest rivals are away games. What I mean is same design just color variants. Oh and I never want to see an Eagle on our helmets, sports caster's already have a hard enough time figuring out that we are the Auburn Tigers, And not the War Eagles.

I'm 41

"Oh and I never want to see an Eagle on our helmets, sports caster's already have a hard enough time figuring out that we are the Auburn Tigers, And not the War Eagles" Now I am 100% sure I want to see a tiger on our helmet for the LSU game. Really mess with the sports casters heads. (joking of course, I am up for alties but keep the AU)

It would be great to have the dark socks and cleats return, but not at this expense.

Here is an interesting concept.

BxCLEv1IQAA1uY9.jpg

That is sharp! Please use it Auburn!

That striping would look silly on our offensive and defensive line. Big guys should wear vertical stripes.

That concept is fun to look at, but is a carbon copy of the Northwestern uniform, so I am opposed to straight up copying another team's uniform. Texas Tech's throwback (by UA) looked great on the field vs Arkansas this weekend. And I do like UA's redesign of Northwestern, just don't want to copy it. Thought Notre Dame's Shamrock uni (by UA) looked good this weekend as well.

There are several things we could do that fit some of our existing traditions:

Navy Nightmare/True Blue games = All blue uni

All Auburn All Orange = All orange or orange jersesys (or facemasks :cool:/> )

War Eagle = some kind of tribute to this tradition, the eagle on the helmet or something

Throwback to commemorate 75th anniversary of the stadium (actually wore a throwback helmet not that long ago with blank sides and grey facemask)

Auburn Creed = use of lines/phrases from the creed on the backs of jersey instead of names on a special uni

None would have to modern or crazy like oregon's or maryland's. All would highlight an existing Auburn tradition and would generate apparel sales, get some kind of special segment of coverage during the game (likely pre and post game as well).

If we want to do this, we'll have to be prepared to burn a timeout at the beginning of each quarter. The NCAA doesn't like the idea. Just ask Vandy.

Unless you're talking about using the Auburn Creed the way Maryland did with the text of the Star Spangled Banner.

Maryland-Star-Spangled-Front.jpgMaryland-Star-Spangled-Shoulder.jpg

I'm kinda liking this design. It certainly looks better than Maryland's regular uniform.

That may be a change that the power 5 look to make when they start reworking things.

I just noticed watching the Maryland game that they all have "TRIUMPH" in place of the player names. How did they allow this but not "ANCHOR DOWN"? The NCAA's inconsistency on this and a dozen other things will be their undoing.

Because "Triumph" could technically be seen as "words to commemorate the military" such as honor, service, etc (which are allowed) for service academies now at least, I can't remember if they took it off the wounded warrior uniform sets or not. While not the specified reason, It was done to commemorate 9/11 as much as it was to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the star spangled banner. Much different than putting a school motto on the back, even though IMO, let them do that if thats what they want to put on their jerseys.

Archived