Kickoff Classic?

AUesquire

I don't think they have near the number of those "preseason games" that they used to, if any. But, a horrible flashback hit me today and I'm hoping we don't get suckered into anything like that.

In 83' AU was the absolute uncrowned national champions. Played one of the hardest schedules ever formed in the history of college football and lost only one game. Went to the Sugar Bowl ranked #3 and beat Michigan 9-7. #1 & #2 lost in front of us and the final polls jumped Miami from 4th to first and kept Nebraska ahead of us. We stayed #3. Not too far removed from what we have this year.

Now, I say all that to point out that we got paired with Miami in one of those kickoff classic games to start the next year. Miami returned virtually their whole team while we graduated half of ours, including our QB, Randy Campbell. I think the score was not that bad but the game was uuuuugly. In short, we got it handed to us. And the media said, "SEE".

My question is, do they still have those games and would you be in favor of getting paired with a national powerhouse to start the season with a new QB, all new backfield. etc. I know most people will take a "We're Auburn, we're the SEC and we take on all comers" attitude, but I'd rather get our sea legs under us before we take on Texas or Miami etc. GT is game enough for me to start the season.

This is incredible. I've had this post up for almost 2 minutes and not one response from you classless Auburn fans. I expected more when I came here.

Signed, dan4vols

I think the kickoff classics and other similar games have been completely phased out now...there used to be a ton of 'em.

This is incredible.  I've had this post up for almost 2 minutes and not one response from you classless Auburn fans.  I expected more when I came here.

Signed, dan4vols

130566[/snapback]

Huh?

Also, wasn't the Miami game played at the Meadowlands?

... My question is, do they still have those games and would you be in favor of getting paired with a national powerhouse to start the season with a new QB, all new backfield. etc.  I know most people will take a "We're Auburn, we're the SEC and we take on all comers" attitude, but I'd rather get our sea legs under us before we take on Texas or Miami etc.  GT is game enough for me to start the season.

130560[/snapback]

SC & Va Tech played in the Black Coaches Association (BCA) Classic this year. How big of an association is the BCA anyways? Classic. { :D but I digress.}

Good question. I remember opening in 1984 and AU taking a beating on national TV. AU got as much exposure out of that game as they did opening against SC last year. It's a 50-50 chance. Win, and you start out looking good. Lose, and it's an uphill climb all season long. AU should be in contention to play in the SECCG next season. Neither SC or Va Tech played in a CCG this year. You have to take that into consideration. If we play in the SECCG, the season is already 13 games long. Do we want to make it 14 games? You need a deep, deep team to do that. Based on how tough our SEC schedule is looking (road games against LSU/Arky/UGA and Spurrier bringing the Gamecocks fun & gun to AU,) I'd say the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there to play that game.

Teams from the SEC & BIG12 cannot play in a "preseason game", because of the conference championship games. Or at least that was the ruling back when the SEC started having the championship game. If they could, it is conceivable that they could play 1 preseason game, 11 regular season games, CC game, & bowl game, for a total of 14 games. Why don't you know, the players would miss too many classes. But missing classes doesn't seem to be a problem for basketball players does it?

Archived