Dallas Ebola Patient Dies

japantiger

I thought this was supposed to be easily treated in the US?

http://www.foxnews.c...a-patient-dies/

It is, similar to other diseases the quicker it caught the better your chances. The U.S. Health care workers who got infected started getting treatment in Africa immediately and even got experimental drugs there. Bringing them here increased their chances of survival, which they did,

The Liberian was infected there and flew here and got in not reporting his condition. When he went to the Dallas ER he should have disclosed that he had been exposed to a person dying of Ebola. If the ER knew that, he probably would have been admitted, tested, and immediately treated. He actually was not exhibiting the classic Ebola symptoms at his first visit. We also do not know if he had other health problems that allowed the Ebola to quickly kill him. The average life span in Liberia is about 60.

Actually, knowing that he has just arrived from Liberia is all they really needed to act on. And they should have acted on that alone.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Nice straw man. All Im saying is the death of the one patient was avoidable. Are you suggesting that it wasn't?

Prove it. This disease has a high rate of death even with treatment.

Which makes it a possible epidemic nightmare even here in the US.

It doesn't proliferate readily in a country like ours. Containing ebola is a walk in the park if your country has a modern healthcare system.

You hope. I don't understand why the CDC is being so secretive about the freelance photographer and how he contracted the disease. I hope nobody else is affected by it obviously but Im not as confident in the medical community as you are for reasons we've already beaten to death. We disagree, which, is certainly not a surprise to me.

Are you talking about Ashoka Mukpo? Because it's pretty obvious how he contracted it if he has it. He was exposed to bodily fluids from an infected individual in Liberia.

of course but the story is his exposure was due to washing a car. Why does a free lance photographer working for NBC wash a car that an ebola victim died in?

You have no idea what it's like there, do you? Do you really think an African free lancer doesn't have a life?

I thought this was supposed to be easily treated in the US?

http://www.foxnews.c...a-patient-dies/

It is, similar to other diseases the quicker it caught the better your chances. The U.S. Health care workers who got infected started getting treatment in Africa immediately and even got experimental drugs there. Bringing them here increased their chances of survival, which they did,

The Liberian was infected there and flew here and got in not reporting his condition. When he went to the Dallas ER he should have disclosed that he had been exposed to a person dying of Ebola. If the ER knew that, he probably would have been admitted, tested, and immediately treated. He actually was not exhibiting the classic Ebola symptoms at his first visit. We also do not know if he had other health problems that allowed the Ebola to quickly kill him. The average life span in Liberia is about 60.

Actually, knowing that he has just arrived from Liberia is all they really needed to act on. And they should have acted on that alone.

Anyone that shows up at a medic location and states they just got in from Liberia and don't feel well is going to get the full inspection from now on.......if the patient tells the truth.

Again, this disease does not proliferate easily.

Someone forgot to tell Ebola that little fact.

<_<

Hospital error raises its ugly head once again. The first patient was sent home from the hospital despite telling the emergency room attendants in Dallas that he was from Liberia and was experiencing symptoms of ebola. Now, as a result, another person has ebola symptoms. People are dying everyday in America because of hospital error and i wont be surprised even a little if more people come down with this disease as a result.

My God! This means that private companies are no more competent than the Government! :o

if you say so. Thats ONE incident but it is public record that hospital error is the 3rd leading cause of death in America. With all its warts, the private is way more competent that the govt in administering healthcare because there are choices that can be made. What choices did the veterans have when dealing with the VA? People used to be able to choose their Doctors but that is fading away very quickly and once O-Care is fully implemented the limitations to access are going to be mind-boggling by comparison to the latitude Americans had become used to.

Really? Nice straw man. All Im saying is the death of the one patient was avoidable. Are you suggesting that it wasn't?

It doesn't proliferate readily in a country like ours. Containing ebola is a walk in the park if your country has a modern healthcare system.

You hope. I don't understand why the CDC is being so secretive about the freelance photographer and how he contracted the disease. I hope nobody else is affected by it obviously but Im not as confident in the medical community as you are for reasons we've already beaten to death. We disagree, which, is certainly not a surprise to me.

Are you talking about Ashoka Mukpo? Because it's pretty obvious how he contracted it if he has it. He was exposed to bodily fluids from an infected individual in Liberia.

of course but the story is his exposure was due to washing a car. Why does a free lance photographer working for NBC wash a car that an ebola victim died in?

You have no idea what it's like there, do you? Do you really think an African free lancer doesn't have a life?

I really think that a free lance photographer would not take it upon himself to wash a car that an ebola victim had died in just to prove he has a life. Why don't you explain to me exactly what's like there since you have inferred that you know?

<_<

Rats. I've been quote mined. I stated in the part you cut out that third world countries like those in West Africa are extremely conducive to its proliferation. But even then, it does not spread well in comparison to other bugs. Flu, for example.

<_</>

Rats. I've been quote mined. I stated in the part you cut out that third world countries like those in West Africa are extremely conducive to its proliferation. But even then, it does not spread well in comparison to other bugs. Flu, for example.

Quote mined? Hardly. Because despite all your caveats & parameters set up as to how non contagious the virus is, it keeps spreading. Even among well trained, equipped medical professionals. More & more casual contact infections are cropping up & we STILL don't know exactly how those doctors got sick.

<_</>

Quote mined? Hardly. Because despite all your caveats & parameters set up as to how non contagious the virus is, it keeps spreading. Even among well trained, equipped medical professionals. More & more casual contact infections are cropping up & we STILL don't know exactly how those doctors got sick.

Raptor you need to keep in mind that ben's like Bo...he knows. :hellyeah:

<_</>

Well it's good we arent getting hysterical. :-\

<_</>

Well it's good we arent getting hysterical. :-\

you're right. Its best to save the hysteria for FOX talking heads who make tasteless jokes about boobs on the ground. :hellyeah:

The last info I read said there would be over 1m cases in W Africa by the end of Jan. The numbers are going to be big; and keeping these folks contained in the region will be damn near impossible with the current protocols (expect for the UK of course that has acted responsibly)....the below was from my daily security briefing this morning...do you honestly think the Washington DC ass clowns that are dreaming up plans for how we will deal with Ebola factor in things like this? I wonder how many of our CDC planners have ever been to W Africa or have been out of Atlanta? Do you think failure to bury infected bodies would have an impact on the rate of disease spread and infections? This admin make Homer look like a genius.

· In Sierra Leone, burial teams have ended their strike over unpaid wages that had resulted in infectious bodies piling up and increasing the threat from further transmission. While that issue seems to have been resolved, another is building with nurses, lab techs and burial teams in another city and major Ebola treatment center have warned they will strike over pay and conditions after they stated they’re owed a month’s unpaid wages. Considering the major shortage of medical staff in the three most affected countries, the strike of health workers would be a significant disruption to relief efforts.

I really think that a free lance photographer would not take it upon himself to wash a car that an ebola victim had died in just to prove he has a life. Why don't you explain to me exactly what's like there since you have inferred that you know?

So a free lance photographer no longer has family, friends, or acquaintances? No longer lives in a community?

You have some strange ideas.

<_</>

Raptor you need to keep in mind that ben's like Bo...he knows. :hellyeah:

Right. We should instead be listening to the hysterical rantings coming from the scientifically illiterate. :-\

Because hysteria has caused us to make such wise decisions in the past: :Sing:

Japanese internment camps

Patriot Act

Invading Iraq...

The last info I read said there would be over 1m cases in W Africa by the end of Jan. The numbers are going to be big; and keeping these folks contained in the region will be damn near impossible with the current protocols (expect for the UK of course that has acted responsibly)....the below was from my daily security briefing this morning...do you honestly think the Washington DC ass clowns that are dreaming up plans for how we will deal with Ebola factor in things like this? I wonder how many of our CDC planners have ever been to W Africa or have been out of Atlanta? Do you think failure to bury infected bodies would have an impact on the rate of disease spread and infections? This admin make Homer look like a genius.

· In Sierra Leone, burial teams have ended their strike over unpaid wages that had resulted in infectious bodies piling up and increasing the threat from further transmission. While that issue seems to have been resolved, another is building with nurses, lab techs and burial teams in another city and major Ebola treatment center have warned they will strike over pay and conditions after they stated they’re owed a month’s unpaid wages. Considering the major shortage of medical staff in the three most affected countries, the strike of health workers would be a significant disruption to relief efforts.

If you are referring to me, I don't need the administration to make me look like a genius. I've got you and your buddies for that.

1) I wonder how many of our CDC planners have ever been to W Africa or have been out of Atlanta? 2) Do you think failure to bury infected bodies would have an impact on the rate of disease spread and infections?

1) A lot. The CDC has plenty of dedicated field workers. But what's your point?

2) Well duuh! What do you think the message has been over the last few weeks? This thing started in remote villages. What do you expect from isolated, ignorant people? Oh wait, maybe you do have some experience after all....

Archived