Dallas Ebola Patient Dies

japantiger

I'd like to know more about the physics of how a virus can be airborne. I suspect molecular weight might come into play.

And from a chemical standpoint, how does such a virus dissociate from a fluid environment into the air?

I don't know the relative mw of ebola to air-borne viruses nor the qualitative differences in surface chemistry, but I would expect the possibility to be virtually nill. (At least based on my relative ignorance. ;D )

For you, Homer:

Whether propelled by sneezing, coughing, talking, splashing, flushing or some other process, aerosols (an over-arching term) include a range of particle sizes. Those droplets larger than 5-10 millionths of a meter (a micron [µm]; about 1/10 the width of a human hair), fall to the ground within seconds or impact on another surface, without evaporating (see Figure). The smaller droplets that remain suspended in the air evaporate very quickly (< 1/10 sec in dry air), leaving behind particles consisting of proteins, salts and other things left after the water is removed, including suspended viruses and bacteria. These leftovers, which may be more like a gel, depending on the humidity, are called droplet nuclei. They can remain airborne for hours and, if unimpeded, travel wherever the wind blows them. Coughs, sneezes and toilet flushes generate both droplets and droplet nuclei. Droplets smaller than 5-10µm almost always dry fast enough to form droplet nuclei without falling to the ground, and it is usual for scientists to refer to these as being in the airborne size range. It is only the droplet nuclei that are capable of riding the air currents through a hospital, shopping centre or office building.

For [Ebola] at least, airborne droplet nuclei are apparently not infectious to primates under natural or near-natural circumstances

link

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. Much larger particles that I realized can become truly airborne. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising knowing that simple dust can do it.

Hospital error raises its ugly head once again. The first patient was sent home from the hospital despite telling the emergency room attendants in Dallas that he was from Liberia and was experiencing symptoms of ebola. Now, as a result, another person has ebola symptoms. People are dying everyday in America because of hospital error and i wont be surprised even a little if more people come down with this disease as a result.

My God! This means that private companies are no more competent than the Government! :o/>

if you say so. Thats ONE incident but it is public record that hospital error is the 3rd leading cause of death in America. With all its warts, the private is way more competent that the govt in administering healthcare because there are choices that can be made. What choices did the veterans have when dealing with the VA? People used to be able to choose their Doctors but that is fading away very quickly and once O-Care is fully implemented the limitations to access are going to be mind-boggling by comparison to the latitude Americans had become used to.

Your health insurance company has always chosen your doctor. I've had several years where my choices change even while my insurance provider didn't.

Hospital error raises its ugly head once again. The first patient was sent home from the hospital despite telling the emergency room attendants in Dallas that he was from Liberia and was experiencing symptoms of ebola. Now, as a result, another person has ebola symptoms. People are dying everyday in America because of hospital error and i wont be surprised even a little if more people come down with this disease as a result.

My God! This means that private companies are no more competent than the Government! :o/>

if you say so. Thats ONE incident but it is public record that hospital error is the 3rd leading cause of death in America. With all its warts, the private is way more competent that the govt in administering healthcare because there are choices that can be made. What choices did the veterans have when dealing with the VA? People used to be able to choose their Doctors but that is fading away very quickly and once O-Care is fully implemented the limitations to access are going to be mind-boggling by comparison to the latitude Americans had become used to.ice has NEVER been

Your health insurance company has always chosen your doctor. I've had several years where my choices change even while my insurance provider didn't.

My health insurer has NEVER chosen my Dr.....FAIL. I have had several changes over the years from one insurer to the next and access to the Dr of my choice has NEVER been an issue.

if you say so. Thats ONE incident but it is public record that hospital error is the 3rd leading cause of death in America. With all its warts, the private is way more competent that the govt in administering healthcare because there are choices that can be made. What choices did the veterans have when dealing with the VA? People used to be able to choose their Doctors but that is fading away very quickly and once O-Care is fully implemented the limitations to access are going to be mind-boggling by comparison to the latitude Americans had become used to.ice has NEVER been

My health insurer has NEVER chosen my Dr.....FAIL. I have had several changes over the years from one insurer to the next and access to the Dr of my choice has NEVER been an issue.

They have chosen your options available. If you live in a large metropolitan area there's probably a greater likelihood of changes.

Y'all in the mood for some good news? Nina Pham has recovered.

We are treating it very effectively in this country. I think Mr. Duncan is the only fatality so far over here.

Duncan failed to identify himself several times as being exposed to Ebola delaying his treatment, but I also wonder if he had other health problems. A health person not too young or too old has a much better chance of making it with medical help.

People who already have health problems such as TB, etc. will probably not make it. The American doctors and nurses who have got over Ebola have all be in their 20s, 30s. or 40s and apparently in good health and got medical assistance. The Dallas nurse that got sick and and delayed treatment for 4 days to make a trip to Cleveland actually got over Ebola quicker than the other nurse who reported it immediately.

Archived