Compromise Big Picture vs Little Picture

AuburnNTexas

In another topic I mentioned that one of our key issues is that people either don't compromise or think compromise is a dirty word. Another poster basically explained that the divide is so fundamental that there is no room to compromise the left believes in big government and that government is the solution to all problems and that he must fight that attitude so there is no way to compromise.

Like this other poster I believe in less and smaller government with more reliance on self and local community, but it bothers me that he thinks we can't compromise.

I have come to the conclusion that he is correct that we can't compromise on our basic values but I disagree with him that we are so far apart that we can't compromise and solve issues.

Instead of trying to fix the big things we should start with the little things and see where we might have common ground.

I had mentioned Single Mothers on Government assistance and how I thought we should be able to use business principals to find a way to allow these single moms to become self-reliant and provide a nurturing home for their kids.

This poster said the Democrats don't want them to be self-reliant they want them to be reliant on government and as such forced to vote for the democrats. The poster may be right about some in the democratic party especially those who rely on these votes to get elected but I don't believe he is right about the individual people who vote democratic. Most of these people see people in need and they want to help them and they see no other way to do it.

So I am going to ask people on this board to come up with ideas on how to help single mothers become Self-Reliant. I am going to start with the roadblocks that many single mothers face so these ideas will need to overcome those roadblocks. Please feel free to add roadblocks I missed because to solve any problem you need to know what the problem is.

Need affordable safe nurturing child care

Need Education/Skill

Need Job Experience

Need a safe home to raise kid/kids in

Need transportation to job

Need a living wage

I have my own ideas on this but I want to hear others from both sides of the political spectrum, I only want ideas on how to solve the issue, I don't want discussion on why the other person's idea is no good.

I have a feeling that many of the ideas from the left and the right will be very similar because we are dealing with a real little picture issue as opposed to try to solve everything as to our own personal Ideology.

Unfortunately every road block you have mentioned almost is going to require either some form of government regulation, or government assistance and even worse could involve people with sociology degrees........ the only sane answer for America in this case is..............kill the mother and use the child for labor.

I'm using my I'm confused and have no core moral ethics card today, which I earned here by not 100% toeing the left or right line.

My neighbor is a social worker and accomplishing the very difficult task of making single mothers self sufficient will take generations and require a cultural shift. She helps single mothers get job training and then places them into jobs. Sadly, however, at the moment they get to the threshold earning capacity and are told they're going to lose their welfare benefits invariably most quit their jobs. This is a generational problem that Great Society legislation has created and is a result of subsidizing illegitimacy. If we have learned anything in this country it should be this..if you subsidize something you're going to get more of it.

This is a very real problem and there are very real needs. Frankly, I think the situation will get worse as the left continues to make it an issue of economics. Unfortunately, we cannot spend our way out of the current dilemma as that only perpetuates it.

My neighbor is a social worker and accomplishing the very difficult task of making single mothers self sufficient will take generations and require a cultural shift. She helps single mothers get job training and then places them into jobs. Sadly, however, at the moment they get to the threshold earning capacity and are told they're going to lose their welfare benefits invariably most quit their jobs. This is a generational problem that Great Society legislation has created and is a result of subsidizing illegitimacy. If we have learned anything in this country it should be this..if you subsidize something you're going to get more of it.

This is a very real problem and there are very real needs. Frankly, I think the situation will get worse as the left continues to make it an issue of economics. Unfortunately, we cannot spend our way out of the current dilemma as that only perpetuates it.

Perpetuating it is exactly what the left intends to do. The New Deal and Great Society were not intended to lift people out of poverty but rather to keep them there and therefore voting for the progressives who were the defenders of these programs.

Perpetuating it is exactly what the left intends to do. The New Deal and Great Society were not intended to lift people out of poverty but rather to keep them there and therefore voting for the progressives who were the defenders of these programs.

Yes, the period that followed The New Deal was an economic disaster.

I think we have to look at our trade deficit and, acknowledge the effects on our economy that are the result of our willingness to participate in the exploitation of workers in Asia.

5 People replied and not one of you actually tried to come up with ideas as to how to fix the issue. Then you blame political people on either the right or the left. Maybe the problem isn't the politicians it is us. Guys try to solve the issues of this one problem.

Yes, the period that followed The New Deal was an economic disaster.

It was until WWII destroyed Europe and Japan. The U.S. didn't really start pulling out of the 1929 depression until the 2nd year of WWII, 1943. The U.S. had tremendous growth for 30 years until 1972 when the Western European economies had recovered.

5 People replied and not one of you actually tried to come up with ideas as to how to fix the issue. Then you blame political people on either the right or the left. Maybe the problem isn't the politicians it is us. Guys try to solve the issues of this one problem.

It's the old actions have consequences situation. Some single mothers usually exist because they never married the fathers or they chose someone they couldn't stay with. If you look at most of them they had children as teenagers or in their early 20s before they could really afford to take care of them even with 2 parent homes. Those parents fail to understand or care that you can't have children if you can't take care of them. You have to change that mindset so they wait till they are older, have graduated, and have job skills. Giving them welfare doesn't correct the behavior.

The only other thing would be to do what the communist do in Cuba. They have free public schools that are open from 6 am to 6 pm and they provide school uniforms and food for all students. Then mothers and fathers can go to any low skill low paying jobs in the workers paradise. And healthcare is free.

Finally one person actual at least had an idea. So since nobody else will actually provide any intelligent comments just platitudes from the left and the right I will address some of the issues. My ideas may or may not work but at least I am thinking and trying to solve issues.

The women I am talking about are already getting Government Assistance the idea is to wean them off of Government assistance. I think you have to modify how they use government assistance to lead to the weaning process.

Use our existing school systems add a few classrooms to the local schools and use them for Childcare Centers - Some of the Single Mothers work 6 Hour shifts - 4 hours helping with the kids and 2 hours on a school program to help them get the skills they need to get a better paying job. These schools would provide the safe nurturing childcare environment to allow these mothers to go out and work. The ones who work at the school actually are working for their Government assistance and are gaining skills and when they go out looking for a job they will have a job on their resume. The women who work at the school get a little larger check as they are working. Should be periodic turnover of the women who work at the school. The other women now have child care but still need decent income, a job and skills. Finding a good paying job without skills and a resume to prove that you know how to work is difficult. For those who can't find a job that will allow them to get off of government assistance allow them to work a part time job 4 hours a day at something like a fast food place while continuing to get their government benefits but also require them to go to those same schools for 2 hours a day to get their GED or if have a GED or HS diploma then two hours a day at a junior college. Two year time limit of double dipping on assistance while working a part time job. Those single moms on government assistance would be required to partake in this.

This plan wouldn't work everywhere as an example rural areas where schools are distant and there are no fast food jobs available. This plan is not perfect but it addresses most of the issues.

Childcare Provided

Skills addressed

Getting a resume that shows you have worked. The first job is very hard to get.

Extra income for a period of up to 2 years to help them improve their children's lives.

Providing the school, the training and a slightly higher salary will cost more up front but with time limits in place and childcare available over time we should be able to wean people off of government assistance.

Please feel free to bash my ideas but when you do please give us an alternative not a snide comment.

Wait, wait, wait, I have the solution! It's simple, yet brilliant! It's a three step process, I will call it my three step approach to avoid poverty.

Step 1. Don't get pregnant or get someone pregnant until married.

Step 2. If he is not a good heart-ed man, with excellent moral values, with an education, don't marry him. (May take a couple to three years to figure this out)

Step 3. If she is not a kind heart-ed women, with superb moral values, with an education, don't marry her.

You see, problem solved!

Wait, wait, wait, I have the solution! It's simple, yet brilliant! It's a three step process, I will call it my three step approach to avoid poverty.

Step 2. If he is not a good heart-ed man, with excellent moral values, with an education, don't marry him. (May take a couple to three years to figure this out)

Step 3. If she is not a kind heart-ed women, with superb moral values, with an education, don't marry her.

You see, problem solved!

Very intelligent you are doing nothing to fix the issue of the current Single Mom's. It would be great if Single women didn't get pregnant or if married women didn't get divorced. But the reality is that single women do get pregnant and married women do get divorced. Somebody said that we need to find the dad and make him help more that will help some but won't solve the whole issue as often the dad has no job or a low paying job.

So instead of a solution you make a comment that doesn't address the issue in any way at all. So far what I am seeing is everybody is really good at blaming other side but nobody is willing to actually look at a problem and try to solve it. I am seeing people on the left and the right who really don't have a clue they are both part of the problem.

You see, problem solved!

Good luck with that one! It takes time and labor and that is just unacceptable in today's climate. ;)

You see, problem solved!

Very intelligent you are doing nothing to fix the issue of the current Single Mom's. It would be great if Single women didn't get pregnant or if married women didn't get divorced. But the reality is that single women do get pregnant and married women do get divorced. Somebody said that we need to find the dad and make him help more that will help some but won't solve the whole issue as often the dad has no job or a low paying job.

So instead of a solution you make a comment that doesn't address the issue in any way at all. So far what I am seeing is everybody is really good at blaming other side but nobody is willing to actually look at a problem and try to solve it. I am seeing people on the left and the right who really don't have a clue they are both part of the problem.

It's not always about single moms....single parent is a more inclusive term. ;)

Finally one person actual at least had an idea. So since nobody else will actually provide any intelligent comments just platitudes from the left and the right I will address some of the issues. My ideas may or may not work but at least I am thinking and trying to solve issues.

The women I am talking about are already getting Government Assistance the idea is to wean them off of Government assistance. I think you have to modify how they use government assistance to lead to the weaning process.

Use our existing school systems add a few classrooms to the local schools and use them for Childcare Centers - Some of the Single Mothers work 6 Hour shifts - 4 hours helping with the kids and 2 hours on a school program to help them get the skills they need to get a better paying job. These schools would provide the safe nurturing childcare environment to allow these mothers to go out and work. The ones who work at the school actually are working for their Government assistance and are gaining skills and when they go out looking for a job they will have a job on their resume. The women who work at the school get a little larger check as they are working. Should be periodic turnover of the women who work at the school. The other women now have child care but still need decent income, a job and skills. Finding a good paying job without skills and a resume to prove that you know how to work is difficult. For those who can't find a job that will allow them to get off of government assistance allow them to work a part time job 4 hours a day at something like a fast food place while continuing to get their government benefits but also require them to go to those same schools for 2 hours a day to get their GED or if have a GED or HS diploma then two hours a day at a junior college. Two year time limit of double dipping on assistance while working a part time job. Those single moms on government assistance would be required to partake in this.

This plan wouldn't work everywhere as an example rural areas where schools are distant and there are no fast food jobs available. This plan is not perfect but it addresses most of the issues.

Childcare Provided

Skills addressed

Extra income for a period of up to 2 years to help them improve their children's lives.

Providing the school, the training and a slightly higher salary will cost more up front but with time limits in place and childcare available over time we should be able to wean people off of government assistance.

Please feel free to bash my ideas but when you do please give us an alternative not a snide comment.

It is not a platitude when single mothers get the assistance they need for job training and actually get placed in a job only to quit once they're informed they're going to lose their welfare benefits because they're earnings disqualify them. That happens with alarming regularity. That you prefer to categorize that as posting platitudes seems to indicate, at best, how naive you are and, at worst, how out of touch with reality you are.

Nobody denies the problems exist but, I will say they didn't exist anywhere close to the magnitude they do today before Great Society legislation. Deny it if you must but, it is clear the problem cannot and will not be solved simply by throwing money at unwed mothers. It is a cultural dilemma that is not necessarily manifested in one race. I don't know the solution and the complexity to it defies solving it in a politics forum.

Childcare Provided

Skills addressed

It is not a platitude when single mothers get the assistance they need for job training and actually get placed in a job only to quit once they're informed they're going to lose their welfare benefits because they're earnings disqualify them. That happens with alarming regularity. That you prefer to categorize that as posting platitudes seems to indicate, at best, how naive you are and, at worst, how out of touch with reality you are.

Nobody denies the problems exist but, I will say they didn't exist anywhere close to the magnitude they do today before Great Society legislation. Deny it if you must but, it is clear the problem cannot and will not be solved simply by throwing money at unwed mothers. It is a cultural dilemma that is not necessarily manifested in one race. I don't know the solution and the complexity to it defies solving it in a politics forum.

You say I am naïve because I actually think about the problem, but you instead say throwing money at it won't solve it but you are not willing to provide any ideas. You and people like you are the problem. I tend to agree with you that the Great society helped create the problem but it doesn't matter whether the Great Society created the problem or something else created the problem. My question was fairly simple don't bitch about the problem and blame others put down some ideas to how to fix it. We can't use a time machine and go back to the 60's and stop the Great Society experiment now we have to fix it. You have no solutions and you aren't even willing to try and find any.

We have seen that Washington has no ideas so maybe the ideas have to come from the bottom and work their way up. So I am again accusing you of relying on platitudes as opposed to at least floating some ideas. My request is simple but I am not naïve I realize that addressing our countries reliance on government assistance is complicated and there is no single answer or single idea that will address it. But I know for a fact that if no ideas are floated we will eventually get to the point that so many are on assistance that it will no longer be sustainable just like our National Debt.

Ideally more should be done at the local level people to people but how do you do it?

Childcare Provided

Skills addressed

So the solution is to let her work and keep the benefits. Or at least help her find a job that pays a lot better than the benefits.

Childcare Provided

Skills addressed

You say I am naïve because I actually think about the problem, but you instead say throwing money at it won't solve it but you are not willing to provide any ideas. You and people like you are the problem. I tend to agree with you that the Great society helped create the problem but it doesn't matter whether the Great Society created the problem or something else created the problem. My question was fairly simple don't bitch about the problem and blame others put down some ideas to how to fix it. We can't use a time machine and go back to the 60's and stop the Great Society experiment now we have to fix it. You have no solutions and you aren't even willing to try and find any.

We have seen that Washington has no ideas so maybe the ideas have to come from the bottom and work their way up. So I am again accusing you of relying on platitudes as opposed to at least floating some ideas. My request is simple but I am not naïve I realize that addressing our countries reliance on government assistance is complicated and there is no single answer or single idea that will address it. But I know for a fact that if no ideas are floated we will eventually get to the point that so many are on assistance that it will no longer be sustainable just like our National Debt.

Ideally more should be done at the local level people to people but how do you do it?

Fantastic input. I'm a huge student of counterinsurgency and I believe some of its theory can be applied here. You are absolutley correct that this is a local problem best solved by the citizens of that locale. It just requires people getting off their a@@ and investing some time and yes money.

Sorry you feel that way. My point was, we will have to do something to create more jobs if any programs are going to be effective.

I do understand your frustration. Seems we have a debate over more programs vs. fewer programs with no real analysis of the costs and benefits. In the end, I think we need to find ways to slowly reduce assistance rather than simply ending it at some predetermined cutoff. We should reward effort rather than reward giving up.

I still think it would be workable (difficult, but workable) to raise the minimum wage to a living wage and offset the costs to industry with tax credits. It would effectively end the role of the government assisting everyone but the unemployed. Think of the savings when you no longer have a need for that bureaucracy. Think of the incentives to keep a job. Everyone wins. Government overhead goes down, workers are more motivated, have more self-respect and are therefore more productive.

You see, problem solved!

If you think a govt Social Welfare program will fix this, you are mistaken. We have been trying it (Social Welfare) since the 1960's it didn't, isn't, and won't work.

You see, problem solved!

And that's why I provided nothing but saying it will require govt spending, govt regulations, and social workers. As you can see you actually might as well just kill single mothers and do something productive like labor with their sinful offspring. Which btw, was a sarcastic joke in case anyone thinks I literally mean to do that.

You see, problem solved!

If you think a govt Social Welfare program will fix this, you are mistaken. We have been trying it (Social Welfare) since the 1960's it didn't, isn't, and won't work.

The "Great Society" programs of the 60 were successful by any reasonable objective measure.

The fact that utopia doesn't exist today is hardly an appropriate standard to judge 50 year old programs. Our society is subject to ongoing changes from influences we can't predict, much less control. And those changes often produce problems for ordinary people as well as the disadvantaged. But that's a poor argument for ceasing to address problems altogether.

Childcare Provided

Skills addressed

Fantastic input. I'm a huge student of counterinsurgency and I believe some of its theory can be applied here. You are absolutley correct that this is a local problem best solved by the citizens of that locale. It just requires people getting off their a@@ and investing some time and yes money.

Basically you need a culture change, however there is a sense of entitlement that because of the situation they are in they should be given the world on a platter, this doesn't hold for those who can help themselves of course but that is why they make it out. In certain areas of the population some people think they are still owed something, heck I heard on XM the other day a comment that as long as the decedents of slave owners still control everything we will never get ahead. Really hmm most of people I know their families came over after the war but whatever

You see, problem solved!

No mercy, no compassion for individuals who grow up in poverty, with poor education and no role models? Nothing?

Archived