Oh Lord, get ready for the meltdown

TitanTiger

...that he thinks in a matchup between the 1992 Alabama team and the 2004 Auburn team, Auburn would win. He thinks Auburn's defense is close to as good as Bama's was, though he would still give Bama the nod, but Auburn's offense is much better than Bama's.

And the phone lines are jammed! :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure he did . .completely unbiased opinion too.

Let's see . defense for which I was coach and it attached to all my successes in college football as compared to school I sued . .

tough call . .tough call

I think Bama's defense was better overall than ours this season. But, PF's point about Auburn's offense being much better is true also. I think we'd pull that one out in a low scoring affair.

One of those games were the loser would be in for some ragging. Considering that that Bammer team had several close calls during the season, including Vandy, and the 92 Auburn team was driving and in it late leads me to believe the 04 AU team would prevail. The 92 Bammer team had one signature game, Miami. Nobody, save LSU, has been close to upsetting AU this year. LSU, the defending National Champs, is not the 92 Vandy team.

guys without being able to play the 2004 tigers vs the 1992 Bama Team we will never know who is better. Kind of like the BCS system which has yet to give us a true champion.

Folks, that 1992 Alabama defense was much better than our 04 defense but I will agree that our current offense is much better than the 92 Bama offense.

The best offense the Tide faced in 1992 was the Hurricanes who averaged 324 passing per game but only 120 on the ground. Before the Canes were crushed by that 92 Bama "D", Penn State, FSU and Arizona had already exposed the Cane offense that season, holding them to just 275 per game in those 3 meetings.

Our 2004 defense ( 269 per game ) was about as good as our 92 defense ( 258 per game ), which held Alabama to just 10 offensive points. I don't think it's a stretch to think that our current team could beat the 92 Bama team because they slipped past a 9-3 UT team by seven and needed a defensive turnover to beat UF, 28-21.

It would have been a great game but the 92 Alabama defense is the best one I've ever seen in the SEC. I'd rate our 88 unit right behind em...

This Auburn TEAM is BETTER than ANY uat EVER. :au:

There...I said it. Go ahead bg...Cry...moan...bellyache... :big:

guys without being able to play the 2004 tigers vs the 1992 Bama Team we will never know who is better.  Kind of like the BCS system which has yet to give us a true champion.

132029[/snapback]

oh really?!?!

thanks for the info :lol:

...that he thinks in a matchup between the 1992 Alabama team and the 2004 Auburn team, Auburn would win.  He thinks Auburn's defense is close to as good as Bama's was, though he would still give Bama the nod, but Auburn's offense is much better than Bama's.

And the phone lines are jammed!  :D

132006[/snapback]

Auburn's offense was much, much, much better than UA's offense this year, and you guys beat us by 8. I'd say that the '92 offense matches up a lot better than our offense did this year, so I really don't see how this line of thought would equal to an AU win.

You need to stay as far away from the "thought proccess" as possible. It just ain't workin' out for ya' ! ! ! :D

:roflol::roflol::roflol::poke:

...that he thinks in a matchup between the 1992 Alabama team and the 2004 Auburn team, Auburn would win.  He thinks Auburn's defense is close to as good as Bama's was, though he would still give Bama the nod, but Auburn's offense is much better than Bama's.

132006[/snapback]

Auburn's offense was much, much, much better than UA's offense this year, and you guys beat us by 8. I'd say that the '92 offense matches up a lot better than our offense did this year, so I really don't see how this line of thought would equal to an AU win.

132084[/snapback]

The 8 point spread in this years Iron Bowl would definitely be evidence to someone who didn't watch the game, however anyone that watched the game saw AU go into a "soft" (soft is an understatement) defense on UA's last possesion and sitting on the ball with around 1:45 on the clock.

If AU stuffed UA on their last possesion, which they had been doing all game, got the ball back and scored, which they had been doing the whole second half, then the score, theoretically, would have been 28-6. Quite a different scenario, eh?

With that being said, I don't think just beating yall by 8 is a good argument. :au:

132006[/snapback]

132084[/snapback]

I'm sure you thought the same thing for the past three years, but you still lost. Auburn would beat the 1992 UAT team by AT LEAST 10.

132006[/snapback]

132084[/snapback]

The 8 point spread in this years Iron Bowl would definitely be evidence to someone who didn't watch the game, however anyone that watched the game saw AU go into a "soft" (soft is an understatement) defense on UA's last possesion and sitting on the ball with around 1:45 on the clock.

If AU stuffed UA on their last possesion, which they had been doing all game, got the ball back and scored, which they had been doing the whole second half, then the score, theoretically, would have been 28-6. Quite a different scenario, eh?

With that being said, I don't think just beating yall by 8 is a good argument. :au:

132103[/snapback]

I'm glad someone said this. I think it was obvious to anyone who watched the game that Auburn had complete control in the second half and could have put another one or two TDs on the board. But we took the air out of the ball, ran clock and we played a softer pass coverage scheme to force Bama to settle for short gains and use clock. The main thing was winning, not style points. But to point to the final margin as a true indicator of how the game actually went is a misnomer.

My feelings on the matter are that both the '92 Bama and '04 Auburn teams had that intangible thing that no matter what kind of adversity they faced, they'd figure out a way to get the job done. Bama's defense was better overall than Auburn's is this year, though an argument can be made that Auburn's scoring average shows that on the bottom line, they were basically equals. I think it would have been a close game and probably would have depended on where the game was played as to who would come out on top.

the speed on your average SEC team in 2004 versus your average SEC team in 1992 is a lot different...Auburn's 2004 team would beat the hell out of Bama'92 team...just as they would beat the hell out of any 1980's team...the overall speed training and development is just superior to what it was 12 years ago...the Aurburn defense would be faster than any defense bama saw all year...Auburn's offense was better than any offense int he country from 1992...no doubt about it...

Auburn's offense was much, much, much better than UA's offense this year, and you guys beat us by 8.  I'd say that the '92 offense matches up a lot better than our offense did this year, so I really don't see how this line of thought would equal to an AU win.

132084[/snapback]

In 1992, Alabama's offense averaged 5.06 yards per play. This year, Bama's offense averaged 5.18 yards per play. :blink:

Bill Oliver's defense carried Alabama to a championship in 1992 and your offense was along for the ride. During the 1992 season, Bama's offense was held to under 300-yards in 4 different games. Alabama had a solid running game but struggled throwing the ball during the 92 season.

No doubt that uat couldn't throw the ball in '92.

barker was probably the most overrated qb at uat until present. :D

Archived