Oh Lord, get ready for the meltdown

TitanTiger

No doubt that uat couldn't throw the ball in '92.

barker was probably the most overrated qb at uat until present. :D

132139[/snapback]

Come on Tim... Give the man some credit. I always liked Jay Barker. Here is how he stacks up with some other SEC QB's...

Rating Player

163.56 Wuerffel UF

147.31 Campbell 01-04

147.11 Manning UT

146.75 Grossman UF

141.70 Couch UK

141.66 C.Leak UF

139.83 Clausen UT

139.13 Bobo UGA

138.89 Greene UGA

137.66 E.Manning Ole

137.63 Mathews UF

137.09 Zeier UGA

137.09 Bell UF

136.82 Johnson UF

136.32 Hodson LSU

135.71 M. Mauck

133.03 Nix 92-95

132.25 Barker Ala

132.17 Burger 84-87

131.70 Slack 86-89

131.47 Sullivan 69-71

131.03 Leard 97-00

130.10 Taneyhill USC

129.65 Craig 94-97

127.79 Carter UGA

125.97 Lorenzen UK

125.88 W.Peace UF

125.75 M.Jones ARK

125.75 J. Cutler VAN

125.52 B.Croyle Ala

124.08 Cobb 00-02

123.90 Stoerner ARK

123.70 S.Spurrier UF

122.95 R.Miller Ole

122.89 Shula Ala

121.82 Hunter Ala

119.47 Taite MSU

118.91 Zow Ala

117.22 Madkin MSU

117.16 Lunney ARK

117.02 R.Campbell 81-83

115.61 K.Page VAN

113.30 Zolman VAN

113.12 Austin OLE

113.00 Taylor VAN

110.51 White 90-93

110.50 Fant MSU

108.09 A.Manning Ole

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No doubt that uat couldn't throw the ball in '92.

barker was probably the most overrated qb at uat until present. :D

132139[/snapback]

That's saying a lot of good things about Alabama's QB's since Jay Barker was one of the 5 finalist invited to NYC for the Heisman Trophy Ceremony his senior year.

...that he thinks in a matchup between the 1992 Alabama team and the 2004 Auburn team, Auburn would win.  He thinks Auburn's defense is close to as good as Bama's was, though he would still give Bama the nod, but Auburn's offense is much better than Bama's.

And the phone lines are jammed!  :D

132006[/snapback]

This is the most ridiculous thing yet. How can you compare teams from 12 years ago? Has Finebaum every coached football, or has he ever even played the game? How could he possibly compare two teams unless they play each other today not in our minds. Bama had a scoring defense back in 92, and that is how we won games. Our offense was not that good, but the defense made the points for us, and kept other teams from out scoring us(didn't keep them froms scoring, but out scoring). Auburn has a good defense that keeps teams from out scoring them, but their offense is the ones doing the scoring. I just don't think that you can compare the 2 teams, and I don't feel like anyone can say that one would beat the other. Of course that is just my opinion just like all these other quotes are, especially Finebaum, and I would trust anyone's judgement over his.

Guest Tigrinum Major
the speed on your average SEC team in 2004 versus your average SEC team in 1992 is a lot different...Auburn's 2004 team would beat the hell out of Bama'92 team...just as they would beat the hell out of any 1980's team...the overall speed training and development is just superior to what it was 12 years ago...the Aurburn defense would be faster than any defense bama saw all year...Auburn's offense was better than any offense int he country from 1992...no doubt  about it...

132133[/snapback]

I disagree. Auburn's 1983 team was fast on defense and would give anyone this day and time fits. Plus on offense, you had Bo & Lionel James. I don't give a damn what era you are talking about, those two running backs were hell on defenses in the 80's, just as they would be today.

Guest Tigrinum Major
...that he thinks in a matchup between the 1992 Alabama team and the 2004 Auburn team, Auburn would win.  He thinks Auburn's defense is close to as good as Bama's was, though he would still give Bama the nod, but Auburn's offense is much better than Bama's.

And the phone lines are jammed!  :D

132006[/snapback]

This is the most ridiculous thing yet. How can you compare teams from 12 years ago? Has Finebaum every coached football, or has he ever even played the game? How could he possibly compare two teams unless they play each other today not in our minds. Bama had a scoring defense back in 92, and that is how we won games. Our offense was not that good, but the defense made the points for us, and kept other teams from out scoring us(didn't keep them froms scoring, but out scoring). Auburn has a good defense that keeps teams from out scoring them, but their offense is the ones doing the scoring. I just don't think that you can compare the 2 teams, and I don't feel like anyone can say that one would beat the other. Of course that is just my opinion just like all these other quotes are, especially Finebaum, and I would trust anyone's judgement over his.

132158[/snapback]

You can compare teams from 12 years ago just as the sportswriters and coaches can compare teams from three different parts of the country that had no common opponents. In other words, it is an opinion and everyone has one...

that game would be incredible. i still reluctantly admit that the best defense i have ever seen in person was the 92 bama defense. lsu last year was close. auburn this year was close. some others i saw as a child in the late 80s were close. but none of them had everything. that team had lock down corners, big play safeties, run stuffing tackles, and great linebackers. i think our defense would have absolutely DOMINATED that 92 bama offense which just wasn't anything to write home about.

on the other side, this auburn offense is perhaps the most complete offense i've seen in the sec in a decade. i've seen offenses that compare numbers-wise or dominance-wise, but i can't think of a single one that hurt you so bad from all angles. two nfl tailbacks that can catch, an nfl qb with a sense for when and how to put a team away, fast receivers... we can shift from wide open west coast spread sets to sec power running two tight end sets in set of downs and do both really well. this would be brother's and borges' best tests. i can't say who would win b/c jay barker was an incredible winner, but i know he doesn't have the arm strength to challenge carlos.

i'd put my money on auburn.

Well, since all the bama fans are going to say that UA would win, and all the AU fans are going to give the edge to AU, I think the only fair way to judge this game is by................NCAA 2005 on the ps2. I've updated JCam to a 99, and I've added an extra 7 attribute points to the defensive starters. It should be a good game.

I guess ill chime in again. In my obviously biased opinion, the 92 defense was the best college defense ive ever seen. Ever. To say the speed of the game is that much different is not relevant IMO. Teague STILL plays in the NFL and our other safety TP Johnson played on my Flag Football team 2 years ago and still ran a legit 4.45 40. Langham ran a 4.4 at the combine before he went if im not mistaken. You wanna talk about speed? Watch Teague run down Lamar Thomas from across the field.

I think AU has an excellent defense this year. But ours was better. I think AU has a better offense this year than we did in 92...but I think Jay Barker would have gotten us into the end zone on one of our 3 trips inside the 10 where we failed. Derrick Lassic and David Palmer were great weapons as well.

AU doesnt have the receivers now that UM did then...and we flat out shut them down. UM didnt have the run game AU has now...but our run d was better than our pass d believe it or not.

And we had better special teams then than AU does now...Michael Proctor was one of the best FG kickers in SEC history. And David palmer would have hurt you guys in a similar fashion that prothro did IMO.

Dont forget, two of your tds came from huge bombs in the air....one on 3rd and 16. Dont think the 92 d lets that happen.

This is all pure speculation...but its kinda fun.

Auburn's TEAM of '04 is, by far, the better team. There can be no comparison. AU actually HAS an offense. uat had none. Auburn's Defense is better too. I guess there can be a comparison, as long as nobody thinks uat has a chance to come out anywhere but second place. :au:

Well, since all the bama fans are going to say that UA would win, and all the AU fans are going to give the edge to AU, I think the only fair way to judge this game is by................NCAA 2005 on the ps2.  I've updated JCam to a 99, and I've added an extra 7 attribute points to the defensive starters.  It should be a good game.

132172[/snapback]

Great idea. That's the same solution I came up with.

As an extremely stupid aside, wouldn't it be great if their was an official "ruling body" to adjust the numbers for the players in NCAA 2005? You know a lot of the pre-season estimations are wrong all the way around. It would be great if they could just be universally adjusted so that everyone could agree.

Stupid thought and a waste of this fine board, I know ... but a guy can dream.

Auburn's TEAM of '04 is, by far, the better team. There can be no comparison. AU actually HAS an offense. uat had none. Auburn's Defense is better too. I guess there can be a comparison, as long as nobody thinks uat has a chance to come out anywhere but second place. :au:

132175[/snapback]

Oh I'm going to get slammed, but I just can't help it. I've got to say it, or I will just burst, but I do want to explain it's not meant in a mean manner, just felt it had to be said.

1992 Bama was the National Champion of Division 1 football. In 2004 Auburn will NOT be the National champion of Division 1 football.

Shut up BMH. :D

JK

132180[/snapback]

Boy, you were fast. I really couldn't help it. I think that both years both teams had great teams. Any time you are undefeated in the SEC you know you have a good team, and you don't have to be compared to anyone and certainly not a team from 12 years ago. Of course I think our team was GREAT. I don't think anyone could be any better than Curry and Copeland, and lets don't forget Teague. I enjoyed watching David Palmer run as much as you do Cadillac and Ronnie Brown(my personal favorite on your team).

You do know I was just kidding on the shut up thing...right?

Jay Barker turned out to be a winner, plain and simple. He did little that made you go "Wow". He just found a way to win. Man, I hate that guy. :P

You do know I was just kidding on the shut up thing...right?

Jay Barker turned out to be a winner, plain and simple.  He did little that made you go "Wow".  He just found a way to win.  Man, I hate that guy. :P

132186[/snapback]

I know you were kidding and I appreciate that, it's just I think I felt guilty with the post, but hey I just waited for somone else to say it so I wouldn't have to and they didn't, so I had to be the one.

Hey ya'll will have a better time at the Sugar Bowl(went in 92 and had a great time). New Orleans turns the city over to the SEC teams and fans.

Guest Tigrinum Major

132175[/snapback]

Oh I'm going to get slammed, but I just can't help it. I've got to say it, or I will just burst, but I do want to explain it's not meant in a mean manner, just felt it had to be said.

1992 Bama was the National Champion of Division 1 football. In 2004 Auburn will NOT be the National champion of Division 1 football.

132178[/snapback]

Wrong! Alabama was the national champion of the AP and ESPN coach's polls and probably a few others. But they are not (and no one ever has been) National Champions of Division One-A football. The NCAA does not recognize a national champion for this division. Why? Money, baby, money.

Besides, if we use that criteria, does that mean Auburn isn't as good as the BYU team that went undefeated and beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl and was voted Number One? I don't think so, Scooter.

132175[/snapback]

132178[/snapback]

Wrong! Alabama was the national champion of the AP and ESPN coach's polls and probably a few others. But they are not (and no one ever has been) National Champions of Division One-A football. The NCAA does not recognize a national champion for this division. Why? Money, baby, money.

I was only playfully picking at you guys, but you have me totally confused. So there are no National Champions in Division 1? I thought when they awarded us the crystal football(trophy for that bowl) and then SI had us in the magazines for weeks as #1. That we were the National Champion. When is a school totally #1?

Guest Tigrinum Major
I was only playfully picking at you guys, but you have me totally confused.  So there are no National Champions in Division 1?  I thought when they awarded us the crystal football(trophy for that bowl) and then SI had us in the magazines for weeks as #1. That we were the National Champion.  When is a school totally #1?

132191[/snapback]

Alabama was awarded the national championship by the writers and coaches and everyone else. But the NCAA has never, and probably will never in our lifetime, awarded a national championship in Division 1A football. I was just picking back. You are correct, Alabama was awarded the national championship that year and Auburn probably won't be this year, unless by some miracle we get a split in the AP, which I find highly unlikely.

Ok, how about this for a debate, who would win between the 1998 Auburn team and the 2003 Alabama team? They were both fairly pitiful...

I was only playfully picking at you guys, but you have me totally confused.  So there are no National Champions in Division 1?  I thought when they awarded us the crystal football(trophy for that bowl) and then SI had us in the magazines for weeks as #1. That we were the National Champion.  When is a school totally #1?

132191[/snapback]

Alabama was awarded the national championship by the writers and coaches and everyone else. But the NCAA has never, and probably will never in our lifetime, awarded a national championship in Division 1A football. I was just picking back. You are correct, Alabama was awarded the national championship that year and Auburn probably won't be this year, unless by some miracle we get a split in the AP, which I find highly unlikely.

Ok, how about this for a debate, who would win between the 1998 Auburn team and the 2003 Alabama team? They were both fairly pitiful...

132193[/snapback]

Were ya'll healthy that year? I'd just can't wait to see us on an even keel. Full number of scholarships and hopefully everyone healthy. We wouldn't be able to have any excuses, but at least we could finally see what Coach Shula could do.

Guest Tigrinum Major

132191[/snapback]

132193[/snapback]

Were ya'll healthy that year? I'd just can't wait to see us on an even keel. Full number of scholarships and hopefully everyone healthy. We wouldn't be able to have any excuses, but at least we could finally see what Coach Shula could do.

132195[/snapback]

Healthy in a physical sense, but that team in 1998 was so dysfunctional, it wasn't even funny. BTW, I was talking about last year's pitiful Bama team, not this year's version of a pitiful team, although they did pretty much suck.... :poke::poke:

8 wins minimum next year or CMS will be on the red-hot seat. The scholly thing will still have an effect but provided there is no injury plagued season like last year, they should be improved from 6 wins.

Shula is going to have to win one he's not supposed to. So far, they've found a way to lose every close game. Injuries or not, he's going to have to teach em' how to win when it gets tough late in the game.

Oh yea, our 98' team would kick your butt. :D

I still say that looks like Penn State in the picture.  I'm color blind in my old age anyway.

132203[/snapback]

I don't think Penn State's helmets have a blue stripe down the middle. I think they are just solid white. I think it could have been BYU in 98'.

Archived