Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

Let's go DAVE ARANDA....

http://www.uwbadgers...nda_833458.html

West-coast coach with zero SEC experience and next to no experience in the South either.

Stuff like that matters. Who would his staff be? That current Wisconsin defensive staff is heavy with guys that came with him from the West (Utah State, Hawaii)...ie: no experience there either.

Aranda would not be a better hire than someone like Muschamp who is not only proven, but who also knows the ins and outs of this conference and is a known commodity on the recruiting trail. The only thing that you could really say is that Aranda would probably stick around longer.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's go DAVE ARANDA....

West-coast coach with zero SEC experience and next to no experience in the South either.

Stuff like that matters. Who would his staff be? That current Wisconsin defensive staff is heavy with guys that came with him from the West (Utah State, Hawaii)...ie: no experience there either.

Aranda would not be a better hire than someone like Muschamp who is not only proven, but who also knows the ins and outs of this conference and is a known commodity on the recruiting trail. The only thing that you could really say is that Aranda would probably stick around longer.

he does recruit the south for UW....not that that means anything

I watched both Greenville, SC channels (4 & 7)Nothing....nothing....nothing......and nothing. This rumor should come to a screeching halt tonight. This would have been headline sports news. I have watched these stations for years and they know the sports beat for USC and Clemson very well.

Maybe there is a huge joke that I am not aware of. But I know my sources very well here. Whoever started this rumor, started a rumor and nothing more. Let's move on and sign CWM asap!

The Wisconsin DC would be a nice choice as well. He has some seriously good defensive credentials no doubt. If CWM does not come on board, Aranda would be a solid pick. Anyhow, I do think CWM will be ours in a few days or so.

Who in their right mind would WANT to be the next head coach at USCe? Especially after duecing it up at Florida?

Muschamp is no dummy. He knows his best shot at another good HC gig is by doing well at a school that will most likely be competing for championships.

I am hearing Nick Saban is pushing Kirby Smart to be head coach at Oregon State (replacing Mike Riley who went to Nebraska) so he can hire Muschamp just to keep coach boom from AU.

Just kidding folks!!!

The Muschamp to USCe storied got so hot and bothered I thought it was time to start something else for folks to flame on. No truth - all rumor - about as good as the gamecockpride story.

Let's go DAVE ARANDA....

Who cares where he gets his recruits...a defense in the top 20 would almost make us unbeatable. Especially with our offense. When was the last time we had a defense ranked that high?

Who cares where he gets his recruits...

Anyone with a brain cares. 90%+ of our players come from Alabama/Georgia/Florida and the surrounding states. Auburn is not a national recruiting team. What are you expecting, that we'll hire Aranda and then start signing kids from California? Good luck with that. This isn't a video game where you just plop in some name and it all works out, there are all sorts of factors, especially in this conference where you are recruiting against the best of the best.

a defense in the top 20 would almost make us unbeatable. Especially with our offense. When was the last time we had a defense ranked that high?

His defense is ranked that highly in an entirely different conference. Muschamp has had highly ranked defenses as well, except he's actually done it in this conference...so explain to me why you'd rather have Aranda? He clearly looks like a good coach, but you seem to have pulled up a ranking of defenses and picked the highest ranked team from the list and pegged their DC. That isn't how a coaching search works, at all.

Aranda is also a 3-4 coach; a scheme that we would need probably ~2 years to recruit for because we don't have the players to run it.

I am an '85 grad from Auburn who lives in SC. I have 1 child who was at AU and passed away there as an 18 yet old fresh in '12 and I have another who will be there next fall. I am All In AU and far from a Bammer. The southcarolina.scout.com site is reporting the deal is done. I am hoping it is not true but their sources may be as credible as ours. I pray he is headed to AU.

Help me out guys USCe still has a DC and no talk of firing him, if all this talk is correct this is just wrong. The only way I see it happening is if CSS and Ward came an agreement to take a lower position which is unlikely. The whole thing stinks of untruths, all the reports and message boards fail to understand the rules of HCIW or that their DC is still their.

If it is true then so be it but what a crappie thing to do to their present DC.

OK. Here's the help. There is a defensive coaching position currently open at USCe. It's the same position Ellis Johnson held. Yeah. Ellis Johnson was not DC. He was Asst. Head Coach / Asst. Coach - Defense/Linebackers Lorenzo Ward's Team bio states: "Ward was originally named defensive coordinator on January 12, 2009, working under Assistant Head Coach-Defense Ellis Johnson." So there's no problem hiring Muschamp at USCe. He can be DC or take Johnson's old position.

And this 'Muschamp to USCe' is not something new, just out of the blue. It's been circling around since Boom got the axe. The fans are freaking out that the HBC has not put his affairs in order for his retirement. They also believe he wants one more shot at the title. Everybody seems to think that giving CWM a HCIW letter of intent could win him over so he could help Spurrier go for gold.

It all sounds nuts to me, but not much more so than a lot of the craziness around here on this thread...

OK. Here's the help. There is a defensive coaching position currently open at USCe. It's the same position Ellis Johnson held. Yeah. Ellis Johnson was not DC. He was Asst. Head Coach / Asst. Coach - Defense/Linebackers Lorenzo Ward's Team bio states: "Ward was originally named defensive coordinator on January 12, 2009, working under Assistant Head Coach-Defense Ellis Johnson." So there's no problem hiring Muschamp at USCe. He can be DC or take Johnson's old position.

Do you seriously believe that they went 3 years with an UNUSED coaching slot? Seriously? C'mon man, think a little bit. Why on earth would they voluntarily weaken themselves by doing that LMAO?

They filled that spot that Johnson vacated.

2011 Defensive Staff:

Ellis Johnson (LB)

Lorenzo Ward (CB)

Brad Lawing (DL)

Jeep Hunter (S)

2012 Defensive Staff:

Lorenzo Ward (No Position)

Brad Lawing (DL)

Kirk Botkin (LB)

Grady Brown (DB)

You see? It is 4 coaches both years. Just because they switched some titles around doesn't mean that they went and carried 1 less coach, which would be asinine.

Also; don't over dramatize the titles themselves. When Johnson was there, he was the DC, regardless of what title Ward held. That is nothing more than resume-padding in order to make these guys happy by fluffing their titles to make them appear to be of higher standing on the staff.

I am an '85 grad from Auburn who lives in SC. I have 1 child who was at AU and passed away there as an 18 yet old fresh in '12 and I have another who will be there next fall. I am All In AU and far from a Bammer. The southcarolina.scout.com site is reporting the deal is done. I am hoping it is not true but their sources may be as credible as ours. I pray he is headed to AU.

Help me out guys USCe still has a DC and no talk of firing him, if all this talk is correct this is just wrong. The only way I see it happening is if CSS and Ward came an agreement to take a lower position which is unlikely. The whole thing stinks of untruths, all the reports and message boards fail to understand the rules of HCIW or that their DC is still their.

If it is true then so be it but what a crappie thing to do to their present DC.

And this 'Muschamp to USCe' is not something new, just out of the blue. It's been circling around since Boom got the axe. The fans are freaking out that the HBC has not put his affairs in order for his retirement. They also believe he wants one more shot at the title. Everybody seems to think that giving CWM a HCIW letter of intent could win him over so he could help Spurrier go for gold.

It all sounds nuts to me, but not much more so than a lot of the craziness around here on this thread...

well one thing for sure USCe will always be USCe with or without WM and AU will be a top 10 team every year with Gus and a good DC or even a average DC. I want WM but we would be fine with any of the other choices

We better hear something tomorrow no later than Monday or we will be moving on

It won't happen. Muschamp is out of the country with his family on vacation. He does not return until early next week.

Do you seriously believe that they went 3 years with an UNUSED coaching slot? Seriously? C'mon man, think a little bit. Why on earth would they voluntarily weaken themselves by doing that LMAO?

2011 Defensive Staff:

Ellis Johnson (LB)

Lorenzo Ward (CB)

Brad Lawing (DL)

Jeep Hunter (S)

2012 Defensive Staff:

Brad Lawing (DL)

Kirk Botkin (LB)

Grady Brown (DB)

You see? It is 4 coaches both years. Just because they switched some titles around doesn't mean that they went and carried 1 less coach, which would be asinine.

Technically, yeah, of course they had to replace the linebacker coach! That's not the point. It's the precedent of having an Asst Head coach above the DC. And I'm just going by what is being said on the USCe boards. That they would keep the current staff and just add Muschamp into some hybrid Asst Head Coach position. I don't really think it would ever happen. They do. In fact, I personally think they've made the entire thing up in their heads. :ucrazy: I don't think the school has even spoken to CWM about it. And get this: they are so deep into this idea of getting Muschamp, that some were truly shocked to find out that Auburn's real competition was aTm and not USCe!

So, anyway, they're nuts over there and I don't think USCe plans to actually make any big coaching changes. I'm pretty certain we can completely ignore any stories out of that camp. Which is what my point was originally going to be...

2011 Defensive Staff:

Ellis Johnson (LB)

Lorenzo Ward (CB)

Brad Lawing (DL)

Jeep Hunter (S)

2012 Defensive Staff:

Brad Lawing (DL)

Kirk Botkin (LB)

Grady Brown (DB)

Also; don't over dramatize the titles themselves. When Johnson was there, he was the DC, regardless of what title Ward held. That is nothing more than resume-padding in order to make these guys happy by fluffing their titles to make them appear to be of higher standing on the staff.

They do have one less coaching slot and it is on Offense, as the Head Ball Coach calls the plays. So yes, they do have one opening for coaching.

2011 Defensive Staff:

Ellis Johnson (LB)

Lorenzo Ward (CB)

Brad Lawing (DL)

Jeep Hunter (S)

2012 Defensive Staff:

Brad Lawing (DL)

Kirk Botkin (LB)

Grady Brown (DB)

They do have one less coaching slot and it is on Offense, as the Head Ball Coach calls the plays. So yes, they do have one opening for coaching.

didnt know that I thought his son was in a OC role

I'd like to thank WT for unwittingly providing the sack stats that EXACTLY SUPPORTED my point. Auburn had 3 sacks in the Wisconsin game and 11 in the Bama game. We had 38 on the season. I said, the Bama game propped up mediocre stats in the category. Although we led the SEC we entered the Bama game with 24 sacks. We had 14 sacks in the last two games, 11 in the Iron Bowl. We were a middling pressure team for the majority of the season. It's just a fact. The Bama game skewed our numbers.

As for Gibbs' season, yes, the numbers were solid overall. They were better than solid. We looked really good early in the year. Then we fell to pieces. The idea that the defense let up against UK is a joke. That's an excuse that bad defenses make for being bad. I was at the game. We were playing our starters and normal rotation players into the fourth.

By the end of that season, we were a defensive mess with the SEC top offense. Sound familiar? I mean, our overall numbers this season look better than they have in five years so was it a mistake to fire Ellis? In season regression is a major red flag. Again, I don't know David Gibbs. I do know players on that team, and to a man, the guys I knew thought we were trending the wrong way. Gibbs was told to walk based on job performance. That's just a fact.

Who cares where he gets his recruits...

Anyone with a brain cares. 90%+ of our players come from Alabama/Georgia/Florida and the surrounding states. Auburn is not a national recruiting team. What are you expecting, that we'll hire Aranda and then start signing kids from California? Good luck with that. This isn't a video game where you just plop in some name and it all works out, there are all sorts of factors, especially in this conference where you are recruiting against the best of the best.

a defense in the top 20 would almost make us unbeatable. Especially with our offense. When was the last time we had a defense ranked that high?

His defense is ranked that highly in an entirely different conference. Muschamp has had highly ranked defenses as well, except he's actually done it in this conference...so explain to me why you'd rather have Aranda? He clearly looks like a good coach, but you seem to have pulled up a ranking of defenses and picked the highest ranked team from the list and pegged their DC. That isn't how a coaching search works, at all.

It's surreal that you refer to the SEC conference as "this" conference and every other conference as "that" conference. The SEC isn't that much more superior than the pac-12 or Big 12. In three years, the "Big 12" Missouri Tigers won the SEC East, doing it with "Big 12" recruits. Oh, and Missouri's defense is pretty good. Not too bad for DC who never coached in the SEC before. Oh, and the Missouri Tigers were a middle of the pack Big 12 team. To think that coaches who haven't experienced coaching in the SEC can't do it is laughable.

I'd like to thank WT for unwittingly providing the sack stats that EXACTLY SUPPORTED my point. Auburn had 3 sacks in the Wisconsin game and 11 in the Bama game. We had 38 on the season. I said, the Bama game propped up mediocre stats in the category. Although we led the SEC we entered the Bama game with 24 sacks. We had 14 sacks in the last two games, 11 in the Iron Bowl. We were a middling pressure team for the majority of the season. It's just a fact. The Bama game skewed our numbers.

As for Gibbs' season, yes, the numbers were solid overall. They were better than solid. We looked really good early in the year. Then we fell to pieces. The idea that the defense let up against UK is a joke. That's an excuse that bad defenses make for being bad. I was at the game. We were playing our starters and normal rotation players into the fourth.

By the end of that season, we were a defensive mess with the SEC top offense. Sound familiar? I mean, our overall numbers this season look better than they have in five years so was it a mistake to fire Ellis? In season regression is a major red flag. Again, I don't know David Gibbs. I do know players on that team, and to a man, the guys I knew thought we were trending the wrong way. Gibbs was told to walk based on job performance. That's just a fact.

The same performance this year would have gotten him a raise and a contract extension.

2011 Defensive Staff:

Ellis Johnson (LB)

Lorenzo Ward (CB)

Brad Lawing (DL)

Jeep Hunter (S)

2012 Defensive Staff:

Brad Lawing (DL)

Kirk Botkin (LB)

Grady Brown (DB)

didnt know that I thought his son was in a OC role

His son is a Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Recievers Coach with their O-Line Coach. However I do apologize, apparently they did fill the extra slot but I'm not sure when. I guess it's the QB coach since Spurrier isn't coaching QBs anymore according to their team website.

Texas, absolutely. The question is whether a guy that was showing slippage in one season with a well-oiled defensive machine could really provide the same numbers starting with a hot mess. It doesn't matter because he's not going to be considered. I'm just saying once was enough for me.

We better hear something tomorrow no later than Monday or we will be moving on

Really? Gus told you this?

It's surreal that you refer to the SEC conference as "this" conference and every other conference as "that" conference. The SEC isn't that much more superior than the pac-12 or Big 12. In three years, the "Big 12" Missouri Tigers won the SEC East, doing it with "Big 12" recruits. Oh, and Missouri's defense is pretty good. Not too bad for DC who never coached in the SEC before. Oh, and the Missouri Tigers were a middle of the pack Big 12 team. To think that coaches who haven't experienced coaching in the SEC can't do it is laughable.

Thanks for over-analyzing what I said. Things get done differently in the SEC, that is just how it is. The recruiting is dirtier, and the expectations are greater You think I'm wrong? Why do most of the coaching hires happen from within? Connections are very important in this conference. In many ways it is a whole new ball game. You bring up Missouri? Newsflash: they're winning because the SEC East is a joke right now.

All I want for Christmas is a defense! The way I see it, if AU is willing to pay CWM that kind of cheddar then let him bring who he wants! CGM then should get out of the way and let CWM do his thing!

Archived