Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

https://twitter.com/...960342600204288 same guy that reported AU and Muschamp were close to a deal a couple days ago. Of course he could've just gotten that from Phillip Marshall

BF is a well known CFB "analyst" for CBS (99% sure its for CBS). I would hope that he wouldn't risk ruining his credibility by relying on a beat writer. Scout did, and now a lot of people are laughing at them.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://twitter.com/...960342600204288 same guy that reported AU and Muschamp were close to a deal a couple days ago. Of course he could've just gotten that from Phillip Marshall

Bruce Feldman is usually pretty accurate in his reporting. Somebody just got excited and wanted to be the first to report it.

David Gibbs?!?!? That dude was (correctly) fired after one season at Auburn.

Gibbs' Auburn defense was actually very strong statistically. Go look it up. I think that that departure had more to do with fit than it did with regards to performance.

This

Probably right but I never liked the way he ducked out sight immediately after that Wisconsin debacle and never spoke to the media about it. Poor form even if you are moving on.

Do you feel like that's a big enough reason to keep him off the list of potential candidates or is it just something that bothered you about him?

At this point, just get Muschamp/Odom/Clark into a dark room to play NCAA14 against Gus. Whomever holds Gus to the lowest number of points wins the job and ends this saga lol.

Too funny. I'll watch that lol.

And the saga continues!!!!

Instead of "Happy Football Day" tomorrow, Weegs needs to start a "Happy What's Going on with Muschamp Day" thread!!!!

Gibbs' Auburn defense was actually very strong statistically. Go look it up. I think that that departure had more to do with fit than it did with regards to performance.

This

Probably right but I never liked the way he ducked out sight immediately after that Wisconsin debacle and never spoke to the media about it. Poor form even if you are moving on.

Do you feel like that's a big enough reason to keep him off the list of potential candidates or is it just something that bothered you about him?

Just bothered me. I thought he did a good job at Auburn the one year he was there.

Who will we have Bo Pelini coaching? LB?

Well you know that Takeo Spikes has expressed an interest on twitter in being the LB coach, not once but twice, in the last couple months. The last one was specifically mentioned with Muschamp. Our LBs would learn more from Takeo the first day than they did in the last 5 years from Thigpen and Johnson combined.

AMEN!!

Not sure why y'all think Takeo Spikes would be a good LB coach. I'm not saying that he wouldn't, but I have not seen any evidence to support him being a good coach. Sure, he was a great player and has a lot of passion and intensity, but that doesn't necessarily make him a great teacher of the game. I think he probably would be a good motivator, but a coach needs to be able to explain things in a way for his players to understand.

You didn't know? all ex-AU players would be awesome coaches for AU.

People on this board actually wanted Pat freaking Nix as OC even AFTER he bombed out at Miami. LOL!

We've got this mentality that we have to bring back every great ex player to be a coach here. Why it always has to be a guy with AU ties, I'll never know. Just go out and hire the best there is and let that be it. Alabama kept shooting themselves in the foot by insisting all their Head coaches had to have ties to bear.

You 3 are going pretty far out on the hyperbole limb extrapolating that kind of intent from myself and war eagle6. You prefer hiring previous coaches. So how is that hiring of previous coaches like Thigpen and Johnson been working out at the LB position the last 5 years ? If ever there was a situation I would consider taking a calculated chance on it is this one.

Takeo is a dynamic player who has the actual experience playing the linebacker position at a very high level for the last 20 years. That also happens to be a very key position that has underperformed at AU with professional coaches for the last 5 years. Additionally, it just so happens that he has expressed some interest too. I view this as a very unique situation, not only because of the individual, but also because of the timing on both sides.

You guys are crazy on Gibbs. I was on the Plains then, and he was let go as much for performance as anything else. But for one game, the defense fell apart late in the season. We looked horrible against Kentucky in Lexington (I was there), we looked horrible against UGA in Athens (I was there), and we looked horrible against Wisconsin in Orlando (I was there). Unlike now, I knew plenty of people working in the program back then. He left because he was told to go find work. Not because people didn't like him as a person.

Also, on leading the SEC in sacks, that was largely due to one game: the Iron Bowl. Going into the game game we were fourth or fifth. I can't remember which. 11 sacks in one game tends to skew the stats. That was an amazing game, but it did little to paper over a defensive performance that was swiftly declining. Both Woodson at UK and Shockley at UGA threw for 300+ yards on us, and that just didn't happen under Tubby. Today? We wouldn't bat an eyelash, but under Tubs, that type of performance warranted a firing.

Also, that wasn't the good years for Kentucky and Andre Woodson. Here's a fun clip from the recap of the game on ESPN:

Kentucky (2-6, 1-4) has lost 15 straight games to Auburn, dating to 1966, but scored more points against the Tigers than any other team this season. Auburn entered the game ranked fourth in NCAA Division I-A in total defense, while Kentucky ranked 108th in total offense. The Tigers had allowed a total of 47 points in five previous SEC games.

Like I said, I'm good without David Gibbs back on the Plains. I'm sure he's a nice guy. He might be a better coach, but I'm happy to see him prove that somewhere else.

Well you know that Takeo Spikes has expressed an interest on twitter in being the LB coach, not once but twice, in the last couple months. The last one was specifically mentioned with Muschamp. Our LBs would learn more from Takeo the first day than they did in the last 5 years from Thigpen and Johnson combined.

AMEN!!

Not sure why y'all think Takeo Spikes would be a good LB coach. I'm not saying that he wouldn't, but I have not seen any evidence to support him being a good coach. Sure, he was a great player and has a lot of passion and intensity, but that doesn't necessarily make him a great teacher of the game. I think he probably would be a good motivator, but a coach needs to be able to explain things in a way for his players to understand.

People on this board actually wanted Pat freaking Nix as OC even AFTER he bombed out at Miami. LOL!

We've got this mentality that we have to bring back every great ex player to be a coach here. Why it always has to be a guy with AU ties, I'll never know. Just go out and hire the best there is and let that be it. Alabama kept shooting themselves in the foot by insisting all their Head coaches had to have ties to bear.

You 3 are going pretty far out on the hyperbole limb extrapolating that kind of intent from myself and war eagle6. You prefer hiring previous coaches. So how is that hiring of previous coaches like Thigpen and Johnson been working out at the LB position the last 5 years ? If ever there was ever a situation I would consider taking a calculated chance on it is this one.

Takeo is a dynamic player who has the actual experience playing the linebacker position at a very high level for the last 20 years. That also happens to be a very key position that has underperformed at AU with professional coaches for the last 5 years. Additionally, it just so happens that he has expressed some interest too. I view this as a very unique situation, not only because of the individual, but also because of the timing on both sides.

There is a lot more to being a coach than having been a great former player. Can he teach the position? Playing it and teaching it are two entirely different things. Great players seldom turn out to be good coaches. This is not the time to be taking those kinds of chances. Gus can't afford to do that right now.

This

Just bothered me. I thought he did a good job at Auburn the one year he was there.

Gotcha. I felt the same way, that he should have manned up in that situation but overall fielded a really good defense for us.

AMEN!!

You 3 are going pretty far out on the hyperbole limb extrapolating that kind of intent from myself and war eagle6. You prefer hiring previous coaches. So how is that hiring of previous coaches like Thigpen and Johnson been working out at the LB position the last 5 years ? If ever there was ever a situation I would consider taking a calculated chance on it is this one.

There is a lot more to being a coach than having been a great former player. Can he teach the position? Playing it and teaching it are two entirely different things. Great players seldom turn out to be good coaches. This is not the time to be taking those kinds of chances. Gus can't afford to do that right now.

I'm a little weary of AU serving as the training ground for coaches. Hiring Gus with one year of head coaching experience is enough of a risk to take with a program of AU's caliber. Guys that have never coached 18-21 yr olds can use other programs to learn the job - AU is in a race with the best coaches/recruiters/facilities in the country.

Also, that wasn't the good years for Kentucky and Andre Woodson. Here's a fun clip from the recap of the game on ESPN:

Kentucky (2-6, 1-4) has lost 15 straight games to Auburn, dating to 1966, but scored more points against the Tigers than any other team this season. Auburn entered the game ranked fourth in NCAA Division I-A in total defense, while Kentucky ranked 108th in total offense. The Tigers had allowed a total of 47 points in five previous SEC games.

Like I said, I'm good without David Gibbs back on the Plains. I'm sure he's a nice guy. He might be a better coach, but I'm happy to see him prove that somewhere else.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about all of that except the Iron Bowl and the Wisconsin game. No need to worry though he wont be coming back.

You guys are crazy on Gibbs. I was on the Plains then, and he was let go as much for performance as anything else. But for one game, the defense fell apart late in the season. We looked horrible against Kentucky in Lexington (I was there), we looked horrible against UGA in Athens (I was there), and we looked horrible against Wisconsin in Orlando (I was there). Unlike now, I knew plenty of people working in the program back then. He left because he was told to go find work. Not because people didn't like him as a person.

Also, on leading the SEC in sacks, that was largely due to one game: the Iron Bowl. Going into the game game we were fourth or fifth. I can't remember which. 11 sacks in one game tends to skew the stats. That was an amazing game, but it did little to paper over a defensive performance that was swiftly declining. Both Woodson at UK and Shockley at UGA threw for 300+ yards on us, and that just didn't happen under Tubby. Today? We wouldn't bat an eyelash, but under Tubs, that type of performance warranted a firing.

Perspective is appreciated.

Jack Crowe tweeted:

I know Will Muschamp and he will certainly do Auburn proud

#WarEagle

Time to regroup and put our support behind these coaches and players

Who is Jack Crowe?

Edit: ok I think I know who he is now. Thanks y'all! (Didn't wanna add a post)

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about all of that except the Iron Bowl and the Wisconsin game. No need to worry though he wont be coming back.

What's being failed to mention is that Auburn scored 49 in that game and the defense relaxed.

Jack Crowe tweeted:

#WarEagle

Who is Jack Crowe?

The former JSU coach?

Jack Crowe tweeted:

#WarEagle

Who is Jack Crowe?

Simply the greatest two yards and a cloud of dust Offensive Coordinator to walk the earth.

He was at the helm when Arkansas lost to The Citadel 10-3.

Still has strong ties to Auburn.

Wow. Cherry pick much. Sorry but the actual overall numbers don't support this at all. David Gibbs was at Auburn in 2005. Compare 2004,2005, 2006, and 2007. 2006 and 2007 was when Muschamp was here.

Total Defense National Ranking

2004 - 9

2005 - 7

2006 - 23

2007 - 6

Total Defense Yards (Marginal Difference here)

2004 - 3232

2005 - 3235

2006 - 3571

2007 - 3580

Pass Defense Ranking

2004 - 15

2005 - 22

2006 - 20

2007 - 6

Pass Defense Yards ( I see an extremely marginal difference here from 2004 - 2007)

2004 - 1956

2005 - 2087

2006 - 2060

2007 - 2148

Passing Yards Per game

2004 - 163

2005 - 189.7

2006 - 171.7

2007 - 179

Rushing Defense Ranking

2004 - 22

2005 - 16

2006 - 46

2007 - 26

Rushing Defense Yards

2004 - 1276

2005 - 1148

2006 - 1511

2007 - 1432

Rushing Defense yards per game

2004 - 106.3

2005 - 104.4

2006 - 125.9

2007 - 119.3

Your statement concerning sacks being high because of one game aren't supported either. The year before Gibbs Auburn had only THREE fewer sacks. They went down each of the next two years.

Sacks

2004 - 35

2005 - 38

2006 - 29

2007 - 22

I could do the same cherry picking and point to 2006 and our giving up 27 to Arkansas and LOSING, or giving up 37 to UGA and LOSING. Or, if that's not enough, how about 2007 (in keeping with the cherry picking theme we have) how about Georgia (AGAIN) and giving up 45.

Remove the Cherry Picking and accept the entire body of work from all 4 of those years and I would be THRILLED to have a defense with those numbers. The numbers above are 4 years and THREE DIFFERENT defensive coordinators and the differences are extremely MARGINAL from year to year. The reason that was the case was because of TOMMY TUBERVILLE not because of who the Defensive Coordinator was.

I would take David Gibbs back at Auburn in a heart beat.

CWM is going to South Carolina.. its wishful thinking that he will return to Auburn when its his conflict with JJ that caused him to leave the first time... and JJ is still here...

https://southcarolin...id=1017&style=2

Free article on USC rivals site saying they retracted their findings and pretty much don't have a clue what is going on. To my knowledge they still have Lorenzo Ward as their DC.

Correct. He has not been fired nor has he resigned.

Archived