2 NYPD cops shot and killed

cooltigger21

Tag, tail... which ever. i still don't see that as probable cause , unless there was a road block, and they were stopping other cars as well.

Probable cause for a stop, or for a search? It's definitely something you can and will be pulled over for if they feel like checking you out. It's definitely not something that gives them probable cause to search your car or detain you indefinitely.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tag, tail... which ever. i still don't see that as probable cause , unless there was a road block, and they were stopping other cars as well.

Probable cause for a stop, or for a search? It's definitely something you can and will be pulled over for if they feel like checking you out. It's definitely not something that gives them probable cause to search your car or detain you indefinitely.

i was stopped for a tag light about 2 years ago. that was the reason he gave and a valid one but the real reason is it was just after 2A.M. i was in my old beat up work car and was your stereotypical DUI suspect. As soon as he saw my work hat and badge he knew i just got off and that was that. i didnt even know my taglight was out or that it was required by law. i doubt they give a rip about the light it's justification for the stop..

To search. Apparently claiming that was a high traffic road for drugs. I see stopping for the light being out, but unless there was something else, like the smell of weed , alcohol, or paraphernalia with in sight, I don't see any reason for a cop to have searched the car. I'd have resisted, unless I was in a hurry. But then, I don't have any weapons or drugs in my ride, so that's just me.

So...can we all at LEAST agree that race was NOT a factor? If not, explain.......

What if I said these cops wasn't killed because they were cops.....how would you explain against it?

the killer admitted it on social media.

Right. So let's say he didn't say it on social media would that make it less true what was in his heart? I guess what I'm saying is you can't definitely say race has nothing to do with it.It seems like people go out of their way on this board to say racism doesn't exist. That nothing is racism and if you mention race you're a race biter, and I think that's not right. Especially if you haven't ever have to experience it in a degrading manner.

ok. I think i see what you are saying, it's just hard to hypothesize something that is known. I know racism exists it always will. I have seen it improve tremendously in the last 25 years.until lately it has continued to improve. It has fallen back based on two dead criminals who forced cops to take actions neither wanted to take.

It must feel a comfortable blessing to be so certain.

To search. Apparently claiming that was a high traffic road for drugs. I see stopping for the light being out, but unless there was something else, like the smell of weed , alcohol, or paraphernalia with in sight, I don't see any reason for a cop to have searched the car. I'd have resisted, unless I was in a hurry. But then, I don't have any weapons or drugs in my ride, so that's just me.

It isn't, and the claim that it is a high traffic area for drugs is not either. However, it does give them a reason to stop you long enough to check you out and try to get you talking. There was no probable cause to search his car. A drug dog "finding" something does give them probable cause, but then there is the issue of detention. The police do not have the right to detain you indefinitely until a drug dog can be brought to the scene. If it cannot be brought to the scene in a reasonable amount of time (the time that it takes to handle a traffic stop), then you are not required to consent to the drug dog sniff or a search. Of course, that all changes if you give them consent. Opening the car for them, or handing them the keys at their request is consent. Consent automatically makes anything they find admissible in court. Police use pressure and confusion to obtain that consent.

I only find fault in the cop that choked out the kid. The others, fake guns and all, I have no problem with their actions.

I agree. I think once the choke hold was placed it was best to try to diffuse the situation....Maybe if the choke hold was released once he was initially on the ground instead of when his body was limp he may have lived

Good points.

I just don't see Garner is a someone who could endure more than a few seconds of that sort of physical stress. There was no need to maintain such a hold. They were treating him like some sort of MMA athlete. Way over the top. He should never have gone for that hold to begin with.

You certain the cop was mocking Garners death ? Really ?

Yes really. What would you say the reason of smiling waving at the camera of a woman taping crying that a man just died? You all are asking me questions but aren't answering any of mine.

I've not seen the full vid, but does he know for certain that Garner is dead ? Might he be smiling because he thinks she's being hysterical & over reacting ?

Yes really. What would you say the reason of smiling waving at the camera of a woman taping crying that a man just died? You all are asking me questions but aren't answering any of mine.

I've not seen the full vid, but does he know for certain that Garner is dead ? Might he be smiling because he thinks she's being hysterical & over reacting ?

Puhleeze :-\

He just dropped a big fat guy with a choke hold and then watched him being removed in an ambulance. How long do you reckon it took between him hitting the sidewalk and the ambulance pulling off?

He may be smiling and laughing at the woman but it's likely because he doesn't give a sh#t about her and finds it amusing. Who cares exactly why he's laughing? It's not really relevant to what happened here, it just provides a glimpse into a mindset. There's no reason to go crazy about it, but it's very concerning to me.

For all the talk about from conservatives about Federal agents acting as "jack booted thugs" you think you might see a little more empathy for the civilians being arrested. The fact we don't is telling.

http://www.ctghq.org/commentary/jay-zs-ideas-policing-and-criminal-justice-reform-matter#.VJGYzjs7z84.twitter

Community policing needs to cease being just a clever phrase unremittingly bandied about at criminal justice forums. It needs to be an idea that is implemented and taken seriously. Once this occurs, Jay-Z and other rappers like him who are intimately aware of the culture of inner cities will be given some of the first seats at the roundtable when it is time to devise efficacious policing strategies. Yes, there should be seats at the table for lawyers, criminal justice practitioners and criminologists, but reformed criminals who are highly productive members of society are invaluable learning resources that police officers can utilize to become better at their jobs. Police officers who are placed on pedestals will demonstrate unwillingness to learn from mere citizens with professions that are not as socially prestigious as theirs, inasmuch as they believe that going through a police academy confers a special kind of infallible wisdom that can only be corrupted by listening to "lowly" non-officers. That attitude is a serious impediment to the actualization of true community policing. Jay-Z's input in policing strategies is a step in the right direction. The snide commentary from journalists who think reformed criminals and highly accomplished citizens have nothing of worth to contribute to sensible criminal justice policy demonstrates the kind of ignorant mindset that unwittingly aids cultural cluelessness within police forces, which ultimately leads to police malpractice and barbaric brutality.

Here's the video, if you haven't seen it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2700197/Cause-death-not-immediately-clear-350lb-father-died-chokehold-cops-grieving-son-demands-officer-responsible-arrested.html

I find the casual attitude remarkable. No one is working on Garner, they are just loading him up. I'll defer to others with more expertise than me, but shouldn't someone be at least administering oxygen?

I would do it and be scared out of my mind. And I would be positive that NOTHING would be done to the officer though, and I do understand that if you comply with the officer your chances of living increases but I don't believe in abuse of power and authority. And the civilian wasn't yelling or screaming everybody was watching in awe saying omg they killed him....

But once again I ask you what difference of a man unconscious hurt and him being dead makes you decide to wave at the camera or not? I've asked this question like 5 times.

I can't say if the guy knew he was dead or not. I did say he knew he wasn't hardly bleeding and he needed medical assistance though.

The Garner incident and his subsequent death was awful. On that I think everyone can agree. At a time like that is it important to look at what caused the incident to happen? Look, Im not making ANY excuses for the mistakes that were made and I definitely believe, based on the video, he was subjected to excessive force. Here's what is being ignored. That dude had been arrested 38 times previously for selling loose cigarettes. I can hear the groans now but those officers were directed to that location because merchants had complained about his activities. Im of the opinion, if during Michael Bloomberg's leadership, NYC had NOT approved such prohibitively high taxes on cigarettes there would be no black market for selling singles. Moreover, familiarity breeds contempt and in that specific incident the contempt ran both ways after 38 previous incidents for the SAME violation. Was it wrong? Of course it was but, pricing a package of cigarettes around $10 a package because of insane tax policy is likely what precipitated the incident. I also do not believe the officer killed the guy because Garner should not have resisted arrest - he knew he was breaking the law. We are forever thrust into these debates about police brutality which would have been totally avoided if the victim had not intractably resisted arrest. These victims are not the saints of society but are being made into martyrs for ALL the wrong reasons.

Best, most logical post I have read in quite some time. Thanks

Damn that's funny.

Blue concedes excessive force was used then proceeds to blame the whole thing on the dead victim selling loose cigarettes and the mayor of NYC for making such a thing profitable.

And he wonders why it's being ignored. Gee. How about because it's irrelevant? :-\

My car didn't smell of anything. I had nothing suspicious. I guess I could see people choosing that route instead of the interstate as far as drug trafficking but actually if that was something I wanted to do I think I'd prefer to interstate route and would just make sure to drive the speed limit...

But I don't smoke because of asthma, I don't drink because of a personal decision of not wanting to be like my father was, (I don't judge people who do or anything I know people can responsibly enjoy alcohol) I don't even take medicine such as Tylenol, Advil, ibuprofen, and I don't know why. When I had that surgery for removing the mass off my kidney my mom had the doctor to come in and tell me I needed to take the pain medicine because not taking it is actually hurting myself and putting too much stress on my body hindering my healing process so no meds either. And I figured it was bull he was tellingme

I guess that's my point though, I complied and I was in a situation with the police that I never imagined I'd be in but I think it's wrong that if I possibly had an attitude for going through that who knows what would have happened? And if something bad did happened I'd hate to think somebody could possibly justified my death by saying well his attitude should have been better and he'd be alive or if he didn't have anything to hide he should have let the cop search him....Then I'd imagine speculation of my background and character being questioned when actually I didn't do anything wrong. And I guess you could say I was breaking the law as far as my tag light but I don't think that'd mean I'm a criminal or deserved anything bad to happen to me.

My car didn't smell of anything. I had nothing suspicious. I guess I could see people choosing that route instead of the interstate as far as drug trafficking but actually if that was something I wanted to do I think I'd prefer to interstate route and would just make sure to drive the speed limit...

But I don't smoke because of asthma, I don't drink because of a personal decision of not wanting to be like my father was, (I don't judge people who do or anything I know people can responsibly enjoy alcohol) I don't even take medicine such as Tylenol, Advil, ibuprofen, and I don't know why. When I had that surgery for removing the mass off my kidney my mom had the doctor to come in and tell me I needed to take the pain medicine because not taking it is actually hurting myself and putting too much stress on my body hindering my healing process so no meds either. And I figured it was bull he was tellingme

I guess that's my point though, I complied and I was in a situation with the police that I never imagined I'd be in but I think it's wrong that if I possibly had an attitude for going through that who knows what would have happened? And if something bad did happened I'd hate to think somebody could possibly justified my death by saying well his attitude should have been better and he'd be alive or if he didn't have anything to hide he should have let the cop search him....Then I'd imagine speculation of my background and character being questioned when actually I didn't do anything wrong. And I guess you could say I was breaking the law as far as my tag light but I don't think that'd mean I'm a criminal or deserved anything bad to happen to me.

you are correct. You did nothing wrong. You were mistreated. But you complied and you lived. The two i have a problem with, one is on video robbing a store literally minutes before the incident. The othet was being arrested for the 9th time in 3 months for the same thing. Do you see the difference?

I am a little unclear on how you ended up being searched. Did you consent to it, or were you just detained in the cruiser while they did what they wished? I ask because there is an important distinction to be made there. What you think is consent, and what is actually consent are likely two very different things. Police take advantage of intimidation, and they are not required to make you aware of what you have the right to refuse or when you have the right to refuse it. They will also use clever wording to confuse you on whether you are being ordered to do something or requested to (the difference is important).

To be honest I won't just make something up to make it sound good, I really don't remember if I gave consent.....it's absolutely possible I did since I knew I had nothing to worry about as far as illegal stuff in my car but I do remember once he placed hand cuffs on me I was scared. Very scared. It's something you see on T.v. and it's common practice but at least for me ACTUALLY being cuffed is such a vulnerable and helpless feeling.

you are correct. You did nothing wrong. You were mistreated. But you complied and you lived. The two i have a problem with, one is on video robbing a store literally minutes before the incident. The othet was being arrested for the 9th time in 3 months for the same thing. Do you see the difference?

As far as garner I don't. Let's say I had so many speeding tickets my license had been suspended multiple times, or let's say I had a DUI (I think that's pretty bad because depending on how you hold your liquor you could kill someone) I don't agree if I or somebody that fit that scenario ends up dead, feel like it's justified or it's oh well....

As far as garner I don't. Let's say I had so many speeding tickets my license had been suspended multiple times, or let's say I had a DUI (I think that's pretty bad because depending on how you hold your liquor you could kill someone) I don't agree if I or somebody that fit that scenario ends up dead, feel like it's justified or it's oh well....

i am not saying he should have been killed. that is tragic, my point was that he was not being needlessly harassed. he had a history, there were complaints by the local merchants, the police were obligated to serve the legitimate taxpayers. their job was to take this man in. he would not go peacefully. they used force, no gun,tazer,baton, kicks, punches, dogs, or mace. just muscle. the man's health was not up for it. he expired that is terrible and not "justified" BUT he brought it ALL on himself. I really dont see that race is a factor but I dont personally know any of these people so i cant say for sure. there are other deaths at the hands of LEs in the news i feel different about.

http://www.ctghq.org...zjs7z84.twitter

Community policing needs to cease being just a clever phrase unremittingly bandied about at criminal justice forums. It needs to be an idea that is implemented and taken seriously. Once this occurs, Jay-Z and other rappers like him who are intimately aware of the culture of inner cities will be given some of the first seats at the roundtable when it is time to devise efficacious policing strategies. Yes, there should be seats at the table for lawyers, criminal justice practitioners and criminologists, but reformed criminals who are highly productive members of society are invaluable learning resources that police officers can utilize to become better at their jobs. Police officers who are placed on pedestals will demonstrate unwillingness to learn from mere citizens with professions that are not as socially prestigious as theirs, inasmuch as they believe that going through a police academy confers a special kind of infallible wisdom that can only be corrupted by listening to "lowly" non-officers. That attitude is a serious impediment to the actualization of true community policing. Jay-Z's input in policing strategies is a step in the right direction. The snide commentary from journalists who think reformed criminals and highly accomplished citizens have nothing of worth to contribute to sensible criminal justice policy demonstrates the kind of ignorant mindset that unwittingly aids cultural cluelessness within police forces, which ultimately leads to police malpractice and barbaric brutality.

That is good and all until you have an unsworn citizen acting like they have the privileges and training of sworn cops. Such as Zimmerman,neighborhood watch coordinator, killing folks such as Trayvon Martin. Several police departments prefer to not work with civilian policing units because they are not trained while others embrace it. The Department of Housing and Urban Development tried to better incorporate policemen better into the streets by creating the Good Neighbor Next Door act which essentially allowed policemen to buy houses for half the listed price if the houses were in crime hotspots. However, the program never took off because policemen did not want to get out of their comfort zones and a bunch of redtape paperwork is required. James Q Wilson's "broken windows theory" imo is the closest theory to absolute truth. If we take care of the environment and infrastructure of the inner cities, crime will slowly decrease.

That is good and all until you have an unsworn citizen acting like they have the privileges and training of sworn cops. Such as Zimmerman,neighborhood watch coordinator, killing folks such as Trayvon Martin. Several police departments prefer to not work with civilian policing units because they are not trained while others embrace it. The Department of Housing and Urban Development tried to better incorporate policemen better into the streets by creating the Good Neighbor Next Door act which essentially allowed policemen to buy houses for half the listed price if the houses were in crime hotspots. However, the program never took off because policemen did not want to get out of their comfort zones and a bunch of redtape paperwork is required. James Q Wilson's "broken windows theory" imo is the closest theory to absolute truth. If we take care of the environment and infrastructure of the inner cities, crime will slowly decrease.

Think counterinsurgency tactics applied to community policing. Did you attend a COIN academy?

Think counterinsurgency tactics applied to community policing. Did you attend a COIN academy?

I did a 40 hour course

I did a 40 hour course

Good to go. IMO we need an American 'Sunni Awakening' to get our communities back from the scourge of the earth. The Police will be an integral part of that.

And this isn't going to cut it! LAPD officers celebrate Michael Brown’s death in parody song: http://thegrio.com/2014/12/24/lapd-michael-brown-song/#.VJrAFJG-9Gk.twitter

Funny how people behave when they don't realize there are cameras around. ๏_๏

And this isn't going to cut it! LAPD officers celebrate Michael Brown’s death in parody song: http://thegrio.com/2...FJG-9Gk.twitter

Wow! That is very disturbing. Heads should roll on this one.

Archived