Outback Bowl Postgame Thread

PCBAuburnaFan

What's sad is how everybody blames the defense yet, they were 61st with an 8-5 record. Last year, they were 87th and went to the NCG. Yeah, it's all on the defense.

The offense was subpar in 1 game. Maybe 2. Against the last 7 BCS opponents we faced we allowed 38ppg.

Yet, nobody complained about last year's defense because the offense left no doubt. This year, not so much...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's sad is how everybody blames the defense yet, they were 61st with an 8-5 record. Last year, they were 87th and went to the NCG. Yeah, it's all on the defense.

The offense was subpar in 1 game. Maybe 2. Against the last 7 BCS opponents we faced we allowed 38ppg.

Yet, nobody complained about last year's defense because the offense left no doubt. This year, not so much...

Personally, I think that's due to three reasons: 1. The Honeymoon peroid; 2. The defense last year was so much better than the year before; 3. Winning games a lot of games.

Yes they did. People openly questioned EJ quite a bit and got blasted (Looking at you DivisoN). They also said we didn't have much talent at LB (you too Mikey). To place blame on the offense for any failures of this season is like blaming a defense for a 3-7 loss by saying they should have held them to less.

So 25 pages of you can blame the coach....

... but let one guy's post mention NM not being able to actually throw anything, but a long ball every-third attempt, and you get threaten with a ban.

Coaches are adults and paid to take the criticism. See Mike Gundy I'm a man, I'm 40 rant.

So there's no kids on D and all the kickers have IRA's.

... but let one guy's post mention NM not being able to actually throw anything, but a long ball every-third attempt, and you get threaten with a ban.

Coaches are adults and paid to take the criticism. See Mike Gundy I'm a man, I'm 40 rant.

Now that's funny; I don't care who you are

By the way.

I tip my hat to the Gordon kid.

As Auburn fans we have seen some great running backs and I must say Gordon would have looked good in Orange and Blue and would be worthy to wear it.

Monday coach Russell needs to start kicking some ass . It starts in the offseason . Games are won and lost there. Muschamp is exactly what AU needs . Blood will flow come Monday

I agree. Need to get tough mentally and physically for next year

wait a minute.....wasn't it a few months ago...maybe longer that everyone we praising this guy after the previous strength coach was booted? Now all of a sudden he is not doing the job? ....boy folks are really reaching for scapegoats if they think this guy is the problem.

No, I'm not saying he's the scapegoat, the team lost. All I'm saying is all coaches will be pushing them to be tougher.

By the way.

As Auburn fans we have seen some great running backs and I must say Gordon would have looked good in Orange and Blue and would be worthy to wear it.

He is going to be a very wealthy young man in a few months. Well deserved too.

First, let me say that I am impressed with your unabashed determination to go all-out to suck up to the mods. I wish our DEs would show such dedication to the pass rush.

Now, let's address a few things:

The schedule. Auburn's schedule would have been considered brutal if all those Top 10 teams were as good as everyone were willing to believe they were. Alas, they weren't. Change your thinking. Instead of looking at the SEC as the absolute best damned conference in the universe, consider that it was actually a down year for the SEC. Ole Miss and MSU were only slightly better than usual. Auburn, UGA, LSU - all worse. Seen in this light, this season and bowl results offer no surprises.

The loss of players. If the loss of one player cripples your defense, and the loss of another cripples your offense, then you need to crank up your recruiting efforts for a deeper bench.

Culture. You want to change culture? Recruit quality freshmen and instill discipline from the get-go. If you rely on JUCOs to make-up for weak recruiting, you're gonna get a lot of guys looking to go "one and done" and those guys can have a negative effect on morale and focus.

Save the holier-than-thou piety. Remarkably, it makes your post of sunshine-pumping nonsense even less palatable.

Everything I've seen in this thread (went back like 15 pages or more) involves Gus. I don't see people naming names of players with the exception of Cam. If you are referring to other threads, I have not read those (thus view your comments in regards to the thread it is in).

Regardless my point was that everything that happens is the coaches responsibility, they know it, and that is where they want the blame laid. As Gundy clearly stated in his own comments. The mods on this board in regards to individual players usually take the same stance as Gundy.

By the way.

Sorry...it's not our nature to admit that the other team has good players and some of the yards might have been earned by his running ability or their offensive line. Good try though.... :)

By the way.

I see the world in shades of orange and blue but I love to see a kid play ball like he does. I must say Wisconsin was pretty damn chippy and made it clear they were not intimidated.

By the way.

Sorry...it's not our nature to admit that the other team has good players and some of the yards might have been earned by his running ability or their offensive line. Good try though.... :)

Alabama Fan? :)

By the way.

Sorry...it's not our nature to admit that the other team has good players and some of the yards might have been earned by his running ability or their offensive line. Good try though.... :)/>

I see what you did there 64

By the way.

Sorry...it's not our nature to admit that the other team has good players and some of the yards might have been earned by his running ability or their offensive line. Good try though.... :)/>

Alabama Fan? :)/>

Nope but I've read about a hundred posts and I think this was the first one that seemed indicate that Wisconsin might have actually earned the win with good play and superior effort. JMO

First, let me say that I am impressed with your unabashed determination to go all-out to suck up to the mods. I wish our DEs would show such dedication to the pass rush.

Now, let's address a few things:

The schedule. Auburn's schedule would have been considered brutal if all those Top 10 teams were as good as everyone were willing to believe they were. Alas, they weren't. Change your thinking. Instead of looking at the SEC as the absolute best damned conference in the universe, consider that it was actually a down year for the SEC. Ole Miss and MSU were only slightly better than usual. Auburn, UGA, LSU - all worse. Seen in this light, this season and bowl results offer no surprises.

The loss of players. If the loss of one player cripples your defense, and the loss of another cripples your offense, then you need to crank up your recruiting efforts for a deeper bench.

Culture. You want to change culture? Recruit quality freshmen and instill discipline from the get-go. If you rely on JUCOs to make-up for weak recruiting, you're gonna get a lot of guys looking to go "one and done" and those guys can have a negative effect on morale and focus.

Save the holier-than-thou piety. Remarkably, it makes your post of sunshine-pumping nonsense even less palatable.

Your response has to be the most MORONIC reply that I've ever read in all of the years that I've been a member. Did you carefully read the post before you went into your rage to respond?

I really don't care what you think about my comment about the mods. I'm glad that don't allow the trash that you and others write to be posted for potential recruits to read and don't think for one minute that they don't read it.

I never said that the SEC was great this year. It's definitely down and I love how your hindsight is spot on, but the fact is that Ole Miss and Miss State were better for most of the season than they usually are. Ole Miss beat Bama who is now ranked #1 and Miss State was ranked in the top 5 for a number of weeks and played a very respectable game against Bama so those FACTS directly contradict what you've said since they both teams had much better than normal seasons both in the rankings and number of wins.

Since you seem to have all of the answers hopefully you can enlighten the rest of the rest of us. You obviously don't know much about football. Please read the post again because I never attempted to hang the issues on the loss of any 1 player on either side of the ball as you incorrectly stated, but if you don't think that the loss of 1 key player can impact a team then just look at Ole Miss. I also know a couple of the current players, one of which is a starter on offense and both have told me that the loss of both Kozan and Lawson have really hurt this team. Hmm, I wonder who I should believe? I guess you probably don't think that loss of Duke and Coates being injured didn't hurt the team either.

My analysis of the the ripple effect causing the problems with the O and the D was actually posted several weeks ago and one of the insiders on this board was in agreement so I don't think that I'm that far off base.

I love how you suggest recruiting other players instead of jucos when the reason most of them are here is because we couldn't recruit the premier players because of the D scheme in the first place. So who do you suggest we recruit? I suppose that you feel we ought to clean house of coaches and players and go through yet another rebuidling period. I'm sure that will solve a lot of problems. If you've got the answers to all of the problems then please enlighten us all. Otherwise STFU and stop criticizing others for speaking their mind.

Again, please enlighten us all but this time please provide some facts rather then some blathering rhetoric.

The current situation sucks and it isn't likely to get better overnight so you might want to be patient.

By the way.

Alabama Fan? :)/>

Nope but I've read about a hundred posts and I think this was the first one that seemed indicate that Wisconsin might have actually earned the win with good play and superior effort. JMO

I'm just pulling your chain. I could have called you a Florida fan which I hate to say I have come to believe is actually worse. But you hit the nail on the head. Good smart play and effort. That's something I respect. I hope the underclassmen learned a bit about that today.

I just realized something. This is the 2nd year in a row that we've lost a bowl game by the same score. Lost 34-31 to FSU and lost 34-31 to Wsconsin. Also, Gus Malzahn is 0-.2 in bowl games as Auburn's head coach

Both games that he fully lost. His play calling looks a little funny in the light. Chip Kelly never had 4 bad games play calling in any year of his college career and Malzahn is supposedly his counterpart/equal.

2009 Oregon looses to Boise St. 8-19, and Ohio St. 17-26

2010 Oregon defeats a lowly California 15-13 and looses to Auburn 19-22

2011 Oregon looses to LSU 27-40. Turned the ball over 4 times. Scored 14 in garbage time in the 4th. Lost to USC 35-38. Held to 7 points at half.

2012 Oregon looses to Stanford 14-17

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

2008 Barely beats Purdue in double OT. Looses 10-44 at USC. Looses 16-24 against Cal.

So that's 10 at Oregon :)/>

In a year. In a year. You found 10 through 2008-2013 that's about 2 per year, which I think Malzahn would kill for.

I think you have to be disappointed in this season...face it, we generally regressed during the year; particularly in November; a stark contrast to the prior year where we improved each week of the the season and were really peaking at crunch time. I think there are five things that need addressed in the offseason to get back on track. All can be addressed; but it takes a good long look and a recognition that they are a problem. Let's start with an easy one we can all agree with:

• Defense, duh, see how easy this can be...already recognized and addressed in a major way. You have to feel really good about this; and feel good that this is the difference maker in 4 of the 5 losses this year...and the differences in some of the other games even being close. Now, I personally think this will be a multi-year fix as we lack D talent to see this materially better; but if anyone can turn-around the talent we have; while recruiting a different level of talent, this coach will be it.
  • Game preparation - we were completely unprepared to play in at least 5 major games this year. A $6m coaching staff should produce teams that are better prepared to play. Came out flat; seemingly no game plan or intensity; no tempo. Unfortunately today was one of those games. GA was probably the worst of all; but I don't understand how a team can be so lost in the early phases of a game. Play calling, player intensity; all were dismal multiple times. This falls firmly on the coaching staff; but there is also an element of senior leadership that will be needed to ensure we don't repeat this.
  • Play calling - particularly in the red-zone; three things stand out:
    • Reluctance to throw downfield in spite of being pretty good at it - repeatedly - today is another good case of this
    • Just trying to be too cute; rather than just executing the offense; an offense that is really good and choosing plays with higher chances of success
    • Creating QB run-pass situations on third and medium/short...highly mobile QB; great runner, good thrower....why wouldn't you do this? This was a difference maker in 2013; we seemed to move away from that this year.

[*]Kicking game...this year the kicking game just wasn't an asset...in general we punted badly; covered kicks badly and just didn't create plays in the kicking game. We were on the downside of the field position equation much of the year due to this; and of course made worse by #1 above.

[*]Penalties...coaching. Just too many...at critical times...

When you look at where we were in October; and then be a 5 loss team; and lose the way we did down the stretch; and in the final game to a team we should have beaten three scores; you've got to do some soul searching.

War Eagle...look forward to seeing a great finale to recruiting season and then Spring Training is right around the corner....

Kansas State, Georgia, Samford, this game (sub par for what we should've had and how we performed), arguably Arkansas, outside of the 3 Jeremy TDs, the running game was very iffy and Sammie dropped a touchdown from Marshall.

So that's about 5 not counting the huge lulls in the Miss St, TAMU, UA games

Congrats to Wisky. The better team won today.

Only 247 days to go until the start of next season. Obviously, our coaches and players have a tremendous amount of work to do between now and then.

As a former LB and a LB coach....our LBers are terrible; Over pursue,never throw their hands to keep blockers off of them,cut blocked continually,you name it. They violate every fundamental.

Archived