Outback Bowl Postgame Thread

PCBAuburnaFan

I just realized something. This is the 2nd year in a row that we've lost a bowl game by the same score. Lost 34-31 to FSU and lost 34-31 to Wsconsin. Also, Gus Malzahn is 0-.2 in bowl games as Auburn's head coach

Ha, only you a4e. Good catch though.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think the O is our problem, turd, you need to go home.

Giving up a 7 yd/rush will get you beat 10/10 games.

Our D has been so bad for so long i cant really recall the last time i thought we were good.

Our O just cannot out score every team we play when the D just wont do its job.

We have for the last two years refused to defend the first down marker. We give up more third downs that anyone in the SEC.

I havent been able to watch our D since the TAMU game when a true freshman qb on the road for his first start stomped our asses.

No, it wasnt the O that failed us this year, it was a colossal, abysmal, pathetic performance by the worst Auburn D i can remember.

Prayers for CBoom working his magic. Lord knows, just getting these guys back to mediocre might get us to the playoffs next year.

We gave up 230 points over the last 6 games. (Did not include Samford)

We averaged giving up 38.3 points a game.

SShhh! They are looking for heads to roll and they don't care who. Don't use common sense now. Not to mention the team just buried a teammate a few weeks ago on top of having the best player sit and the second best reciever banged up.

This is the same Wisconsin team that gave up 55 to a third string QB a month ago. Keep the excuses rolling.

So disappointing that a sideline reporter would say the team had no fire. I was hoping they would come out and play for Jakell, or their fired coaches, but a large number of guys out there looked like they were in a daze. This team at the start of the season looked like it could go down as an all-time great offense, but untimely mistakes and questionable play calling hamstrung them most of the season. The defense and special teams are what they are

My thoughts

Out played and out coached by a team with inferior talent and no head coach.

Play calling was average at best and horrible in overtime.

Regardless of what many think our head coach is responsible for this horrible, unmotivated defense.

This team stinks of poor discipline and no leadership.

Good to see we have retained the ability to hit out of bounds.

One of the least fun to watch teams since the Barfield days (excluding 2012)

In reality this is a 6-5 team (I don't count the 2 revenue generating home games against small schools used to hammer the season ticket buyer)

If I were a receiver I would go nowhere near Auburn.

Next year will tell alot. I hope they can at least act like they are interested in playing.

I do like the was we teach the defense to pose after the occasional good play. Shucks, when Cass made that stop for a 2 yard loss his " arm folded" kneeling pose made up for the hundreds of yards rushing we gave up. I hope someone got a picture.

My thoughts

Regardless of what many think our head coach is responsible for this horrible, unmotivated defense.

In reality this is a 6-5 team (I don't count the 2 revenue generating home games against small schools used to hammer the season ticket buyer)

Next year will tell alot. I hope they can at least act like they are interested in playing.

I do like the was we teach the defense to pose after the occasional good play. Shucks, when Cass made that stop for a 2 yard loss his " arm folded" kneeling pose made up for the hundreds of yards rushing we gave up. I hope someone got a picture.

Last year the fire was there. This year was a snooze fest. This off season they need to examine the attitudes of everyone.

Woa. Way to harsh a post for aupansies.com

But the truth hurts.

Pose was sweet. Something to be proud of and should help cass on his draft status.

Our D has been so bad for so long i cant really recall the last time i thought we were good.

We have for the last two years refused to defend the first down marker. We give up more third downs that anyone in the SEC.

I havent been able to watch our D since the TAMU game when a true freshman qb on the road for his first start stomped our asses.

No, it wasnt the O that failed us this year, it was a colossal, abysmal, pathetic performance by the worst Auburn D i can remember.

Prayers for CBoom working his magic. Lord knows, just getting these guys back to mediocre might get us to the playoffs next year.

Explain Georgia? Or How about Kansas State even... Sorry Gus has work to do, he has to make adjustments, not as much as the D but he has to make changes.

But as i said he mostly needs to take some notes and realize that we need a full time "Head" coach. We need someone to work on these guys minds, its rubbing off on the fans and that is sad. We need a strength coach that knows how to motivate and make power, we get killed in the trench.

This is now the second game in a row in which we've won the turnover margin and still lost. Crazy...

In this game, it was late game play calling that cost them the game. But sure, put the blame on the defense. What happened to last year's bend but, don'[t break defense? Or the 2011 defense behind Cam? Auburn's defense gave Auburn's offense a chance and they crapped the bed. Making poor excuses are fun.

No the defense did a fine job of giving up 400yds rushing. You're right. They kept the offense that was rolling a chance to rest on the bench. Good job.

The incessant first down up the middle this season cost us mightily. I would love to know what percentage of the time we ran up the middle on first. Drove me insane all year and I'll be damed if he didn't do it today as well.

Explain Georgia? Or How about Kansas State even... Sorry Gus has work to do, he has to make adjustments, not as much as the D but he has to make changes.

But as i said he mostly needs to take some notes and realize that we need a full time "Head" coach. We need someone to work on these guys minds, its rubbing off on the fans and that is sad. We need a strength coach that knows how to motivate and make power, we get killed in the trench.

Goodness. This is the same thing UGA said and did 10 years ago. Look how it's worked for them.

Of course they have owned us in last 8 years like every other big school has.

We stink. Heading south. Watch recruiting.

In this game, it was late game play calling that cost them the game. But sure, put the blame on the defense. What happened to last year's bend but, don'[t break defense? Or the 2011 defense behind Cam? Auburn's defense gave Auburn's offense a chance and they crapped the bed. Making poor excuses are fun.

No the defense did a fine job of giving up 400yds rushing. You're right. They kept the offense that was rolling a chance to rest on the bench. Good job.

they did hold Wisconsin to a fg in OT. That offensive series that followed was abominable.

My thoughts

My thoughts

Last year the fire was there. This year was a snooze fest. This off season they need to examine the attitudes of everyone.

Woa. Way to harsh a post for aupansies.com

But the truth hurts.

Pose was sweet. Something to be proud of and should help cass on his draft status.

It just made me tingle. Lord, I was so foolish when I played many years ago to buy into that team concept.

That's one game of bad offense. That's it. And 8+ of autrocious D. The problem will be corrected. We have the best offensive and now defensive minds in college football. What I'm afraid won't ever be corrected is this pathetic chicken little mindset of Aubun people. And it's beyond pathetic actually.

Bummer git'n beat by the athletic director / use to be coach . Got give him credit though .

He rolled of the office couch and got the job done . War Eagle dammit .

Go Bucs .

So disappointing that a sideline reporter would say the team had no fire. I was hoping they would come out and play for Jakell, or their fired coaches, but a large number of guys out there looked like they were in a daze. This team at the start of the season looked like it could go down as an all-time great offense, but untimely mistakes and questionable play calling hamstrung them most of the season. The defense and special teams are what they are

Coaching

Monday coach Russell needs to start kicking some ass . It starts in the offseason . Games are won and lost there. Muschamp is exactly what AU needs . Blood will flow come Monday

I hope at least next season we are better about spreading the ball around more. We regularly threw to two receivers, and regularly handed off to one back. We have way too much talent to let teams just key on a few players the whole game.

Monday coach Russell needs to start kicking some ass . It starts in the offseason . Games are won and lost there. Muschamp is exactly what AU needs . Blood will flow come Monday

I agree. Need to get tough mentally and physically for next year

That's one game of bad offense. That's it. And 8+ of autrocious D. The problem will be corrected. We have the best offensive and now defensive minds in college football. What I'm afraid won't ever be corrected is this pathetic chicken little mindset of Aubun people. And it's beyond pathetic actually.

Gus has a few bats in his belfry. The play calling at the end was very questionable at the least. He outhinks himself sometimes. I noticed that at one point, he wasn't chewing gum to bunr up that energy. LOL

I hope at least next season we are better about spreading the ball around more. We regularly threw to two receivers, and regularly handed off to one back. We have way too much talent to let teams just key on a few players the whole game.

Sure felt like CJ didn't get much this year. That catch today was beautiful though.

SShhh! They are looking for heads to roll and they don't care who. Don't use common sense now. Not to mention the team just buried a teammate a few weeks ago on top of having the best player sit and the second best reciever banged up.

This is the same Wisconsin team that gave up 55 to a third string QB a month ago. Keep the excuses rolling.

And? Our offense did their part today. OSU had a defense that allowed the offense to get back on the field.

We need a complete overhaul for next season! I'm not talking about canning all coaches, or anything like that. We've corrected our coaching issues on defense, with more corrections to come after that embarrassment of a football game (hopefully). What I mean is that Gus is going to have to put on his big boy pants and realize that you can't win in the SEC when you only run 4 plays, repeatedly, over and over, again and agian, in the same order, no matter what, regardless of success, etc. etc. etc. In a game like today, there is nothing to lose by going all-out and emptying the playbook. We ran the same plays all day, and Wisconsin knew it on our opening drive. Why didn't we change anything? Why did we wait until OT to try anything "outside the box", even though we had run those same "trick" plays all year with little to no success? Why wasn't JJ in on the double pass play? That would have made more sense. He could have taken a shot downfield. Where was Roc Thomas? Is he still being punished for dropping that lateral in the Iron Bowl? Jesus, Gus can hold a friggin' grudge!

This game really didn't mean anything, other than pride in winning the game. The thing that bothers me the most is that we didn't appear to have any pride, or any heart, or any motivation, or any desire. These are all coaching issues, and they rest with the head coach. Not the new DC, not the interim DC, not the Dline coach. Gus appeared to be unmotivated. This scares me. We didn't see any of the Nick Marshall runs that really open our offense up. Sammie Coates spent his last game in orange and blue standing on the sidelines for large chunks of time. Duke Williams was suspended (and will probably be facing more hot water for his twitter post, seeing as how Gus like to hold grudges). Going into the home stretch of recruiting, many of our recruits were tweeting about the horrible play-calling, about the lack of attitude/motivation, etc. This scares me.

I hate to say it, but I kinda feel like Auburn is at a crossroads again (or maybe "still" is the better word). Gus is obviously very talented, but he has been outcoached in our last 4-5 games, to the point where our players and recruits are starting to become vocal. This game, that meant relatively nothing in the grand scheme of things, could end up costing us a lot more than just free blooming onions!

War Eagle Forever!!!

I agree. Need to get tough mentally and physically for next year

wait a minute.....wasn't it a few months ago...maybe longer that everyone we praising this guy after the previous strength coach was booted? Now all of a sudden he is not doing the job? ....boy folks are really reaching for scapegoats if they think this guy is the problem.

Archived