Outback Bowl Postgame Thread

PCBAuburnaFan

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realized something. This is the 2nd year in a row that we've lost a bowl game by the same score. Lost 34-31 to FSU and lost 34-31 to Wsconsin. Also, Gus Malzahn is 0-.2 in bowl games as Auburn's head coach

Both games that he fully lost. His play calling looks a little funny in the light. Chip Kelly never had 4 bad games play calling in any year of his college career and Malzahn is supposedly his counterpart/equal.

2009 Oregon looses to Boise St. 8-19, and Ohio St. 17-26

2010 Oregon defeats a lowly California 15-13 and looses to Auburn 19-22

2011 Oregon looses to LSU 27-40. Turned the ball over 4 times. Scored 14 in garbage time in the 4th. Lost to USC 35-38. Held to 7 points at half.

2012 Oregon looses to Stanford 14-17

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

2008 Barely beats Purdue in double OT. Looses 10-44 at USC. Looses 16-24 against Cal.

So that's 10 at Oregon :)

I just realized something. This is the 2nd year in a row that we've lost a bowl game by the same score. Lost 34-31 to FSU and lost 34-31 to Wsconsin. Also, Gus Malzahn is 0-.2 in bowl games as Auburn's head coach

Both games that he fully lost. His play calling looks a little funny in the light. Chip Kelly never had 4 bad games play calling in any year of his college career and Malzahn is supposedly his counterpart/equal.

2011 Oregon looses to LSU 27-40. Turned the ball over 4 times. Scored 14 in garbage time in the 4th. Lost to USC 35-38. Held to 7 points at half.

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

2008 Barely beats Purdue in double OT. Looses 10-44 at USC. Looses 16-24 against Cal.

I believe he said 4 in one year, also its "loses". Thats 7 in what? 4 years as an HC? Gus has had around 5 at least in 2 years...

I don't buy the "Gus is the problem" and "he can't coach" just for the simple fact that Nick Marshal's develop was incredible this year. Add to this that this is Gus' second year and I think he's still BUILDING a program.

Gus is the issue. May this point he is not the man for the job.

Recruiting will be flat if we are lucky. Otherwise we lose a few and have to settle to fill slots. At this point no big time anything comes our way.

Gus is in over his head.

Yes the coach that got us a NC and led us to another shot is in over his head. When is a top 10 recruiting class "flat". I guess folks forgot just how much of a mess Chizik put us in. Maybe last year was too much too soon for some, but fact is we are still rebuilding. Next year Lawson and Matthews will be on the field. Duke will have a more pure QB throwing to him. "Oh but Gus can only win with a running QB". Look up Tulsa from 07-08 and get back to me.

But you seem to be a little slow so I won't wait.

No, Cam won them a national championship singlehandedly but, I find it cute that you want to give Gus credit for that when any coach with half a brain would have done the same thing, call Cam's number on 90% of the offensive plays. And last I checked, CGC was head coach at the time.

You just confirmed being slow. No, he wasn't the HC, but I give Gus way more credit than the man who was.

Recruiting will be flat if we are lucky. Otherwise we lose a few and have to settle to fill slots. At this point no big time anything comes our way.

Gus is in over his head.

Yes the coach that got us a NC and led us to another shot is in over his head. When is a top 10 recruiting class "flat". I guess folks forgot just how much of a mess Chizik put us in. Maybe last year was too much too soon for some, but fact is we are still rebuilding. Next year Lawson and Matthews will be on the field. Duke will have a more pure QB throwing to him. "Oh but Gus can only win with a running QB". Look up Tulsa from 07-08 and get back to me.

No, Cam won them a national championship singlehandedly but, I find it cute that you want to give Gus credit for that when any coach with half a brain would have done the same thing, call Cam's number on 90% of the offensive plays. And last I checked, CGC was head coach at the time.

Cam won us the Natty singlehandledy? Interesting.

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

I believe he said 4 in one year, also its "loses". Thats 10 in what? 5 years? Gus has had around 5 in 2 years...

Yup it is. Bin dranking bears lol. But I didn't see 4 bad games called by Gus this year either.

I don't buy the "Gus is the problem" and "he can't coach" just for the simple fact that Nick Marshal's develop was incredible this year. Add to this that this is Gus' second year and I think he's still BUILDING a program.

Gus isn't the QB coach.

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

I believe he said 4 in one year, also its "loses". Thats 10 in what? 5 years? Gus has had around 5 in 2 years...

Yup it is. Bin dranking bears lol. But I didn't see 4 bad games called by Gus this year either.

So UGA wasnt badly called? FSU wasnt badly called with a big lead? UGA wasnt badly called last year with a 3 score lead? The Iron Bowl? thats at least 4 right there, We lost a big lead to Ole Miss last year as well and then you count this game today. Gus is the man and he has a gift but I think he needs to reevaluate how he handles things and open it up and stop being so hard headed. Set his guys free

Gus is in over his head.

You just confirmed being slow. No, he wasn't the HC, but I give Gus way more credit than the man who was.

Gus posse out in full force tonight.

No I do not miss yox. My post wasant to be negative towards coach Russell. I was talking more in terms of getting ready for 15 and working hard in the weight room

Gus is in over his head.

So are the trolling idiots.

Gus isn't the QB coach.

With all due respect, you can't honestly believe that Gus isn't the reason Nick has become as good as he's become. I remember him saying during the off season that Nick couldn't be tutored by that QB guru (forgot his name) because Gus wanted to handle it himself.

Responsibility for the entire team rests on Gus' shoulders. He is the head coach. He has made some strange play calls this year. He does get too cute sometimes. He has things to learn about being an offensive play caller and head coach at this level. I have faith he will.

Gus spent a lot of his cache this season. Next year is BIG for him and looking at the horrible condition of this D there's little guarantee that by this time next year the heat won't be on.

What's sad is how everybody blames the defense yet, they were 61st with an 8-5 record. Last year, they were 87th and went to the NCG. Yeah, it's all on the defense.

Gus is in over his head.

Gus Malzahn is a flat out AUSOME football coach. He is also still learning. Gus will get better. So will Auburn. That is, unless enough nay-sayers convince HIM to take the NFL money. Most of these Gus haters are secret bama admirers trying to rid us of the best coach in college football. We need to support Gus and we will get better. His hiring of Muschamp shows that he is willing to do what is necessary.

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

I believe he said 4 in one year, also its "loses". Thats 7 in what? 4 years as an HC? Gus has had around 5 at least in 2 years...

Kelly also had the benefits of a conference that only placed 6 teams in the final top 25 over 4 years beside Oregon themselves. The pure talent of his team vs the rest of his conference made it easy to not have multiple bad called games.

He lost his first two bowl games. He was 0-2 vs the SEC West.

He also paid for his talent with 3 years of probation and a show clause to hire.

But if people really wanna do silly stats like that. Saban followed a 10-3 season with 8-5, and should of been 7-6 if it were not for the Bluegrass Miracle.

First of all a Big Thanks to the Mods for deleting the putrid sludge and keeping the forum in order, and I mean that with every bit of sincerity!

Am I happy with the results of this season? Certainly not, but I choose to examine things from a factual perspective and I'm not attempting to pump any sunshine.

First look at the schedule. It was brutal and all of the experts said so prior to the season. If I'm not mistaken we played (4) top 10 teams on the road. I can't think of another team that did this.

Second, look at all of the talent that we lost from last year's team, particularly on offense. It would have been a challenge to replace it even under the best of circumstances. Carl Lawson and Alex Kozan were both lost prior to the season. Does anyone think that might have been a contributing factor? This in itself makes replacing the lost talent even more of a challenge to ovecome. Without Lawson, there was no speed rusher and absolutley no threat of outside pressure. This in turn allowed opposing offensive lines to double team our D linemen, thus nutralizing of D line much of the time. The loss of Kozan resulted in wholesale changes to the offensive line and there were additional injuries during the season which resulted in yet more changes to the playing rotation. IMO, there wasn't much of an opportunity to build the chemistry needed for a dominant O line. With a nutralized D line and an O line with little or no chemistry it was tough to win the line of scrimmage consistently on either side of the ball.

Third, the defensive play this year has been terrible. It puts so much pressure on the offense, that the offense has to play close to error free football in order to win the game.

Fourth, we are barely 2 years removed from a 3-9 season and a complete meltdown. I strongly suspect that there are still some issues regarding the culture (particularly on the D) that was allowed to develop under the Chizik regime, and I doubt these issues are totally resolved at this juncture, but they are being resolved through attrition.

Finally, this team did not trend well at season's end, but in spite of that, they very easily could have been a 10-3 team. I realize that the trend is disturbing and I realize that the team and the coaches have a lot of issues that must be addressed during the off season, but I feel that we will see significant improvement if the head hunters will just relax and let the coaches focus on finishing strong in recruiting and focus on resolving the issues that need attention. For those that are hell bent on a meltdown, there's a fan base on the other side of the state that can always use your services. They also have a bridge over the Black Warrior river for anyone that feels compelled to jump.

Gus is in over his head.

Gus Malzahn is a flat out AUSOME football coach. He is also still learning. Gus will get better. So will Auburn. That is, unless enough nay-sayers convince HIM to take the NFL money. Most of these Gus haters are secret bama admirers trying to rid us of the best coach in college football. We need to support Gus and we will get better. His hiring of Muschamp shows that he is willing to do what is necessary.

I can't tel if you're being serious or not. He's not going to the NFL.

What's sad is how everybody blames the defense yet, they were 61st with an 8-5 record. Last year, they were 87th and went to the NCG. Yeah, it's all on the defense.

The offense was subpar in 1 game. Maybe 2. Against the last 7 BCS opponents we faced we allowed 38ppg.

Gus is in over his head.

I'm certainly glad we have Gus but he does have things he has to learn. He has not yet proved himself at this level as a head coach. He made a great move to upgrade the defense. Now he also has to resolve the issues on offense as well. I believe he will. We shall see.

So 25 pages of you can blame the coach....

... but let one guy's post mention NM not being able to actually throw anything, but a long ball every-third attempt, and you get threaten with a ban.

And on a side note: Being a Moderator must come with a failure to understand constructive criticism clause.

Because:

Saying too much talent rode the bench - will surely draw a word or warning
    Or mention the ball was spread around too few - and it's a quick promise to ban
    And lets not mention any quarterback flaws - because you've obviously the power of one, to destroy a whole program.

While:

it's allowable to call anyone on the D-side - most anything you wish
    And if you happen to be the kick er- good luck dude you're on your own in this crowd

Look guy's the mere notion or thought of taking the name Nick Marshall in vain - is not as uttering blasphemy at the second coming

(nor was he)

TOTALLY agree with gctiger!!! Some of you are just flat out mean-spirited and hateful. We are all disappointed, but I don't think it deserves attacking the kicker, discounting effort, and calling for a new head coach. If I were a current player, or a recruit reading this, I would have serious doubts about the Auburn fan base. This season is over. I trust our coach to analyze and correct issues that are under his control. I will ALWAYS be a proud Auburn Tiger. If you can't support them constructively, pick another team!l Geez people!

So 25 pages of you can blame the coach....

... but let one guy's post mention NM not being able to actually throw anything, but a long ball every-third attempt, and you get threaten with a ban.

Coaches are adults and paid to take the criticism. See Mike Gundy I'm a man, I'm 40 rant.

Archived