Outback Bowl Postgame Thread

PCBAuburnaFan

I lI've the Auburn Tigers but honestly, I am glad this season is over. Watching our defense this year was very painful. I am also looking forward to seeing a more traditional style of offense. The Nick Marshall offense worked much better last year because the offensive line played much better than this season. Just was not crisp this year. We will be more of a threat both passing and running. Should be fun team to watch if we can take a huge leap on defense.

A what kind of O?

I hope we never see a traditional style of O.

With Gus I feel pretty safe in my wishes.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You score 30 you should win. In the last two seasons we've lost 4 games after scoring 30 or more. Before that we hadn't done it since the 90s.

Bingo!

10+ years ago you are correct, in 2014 not so much...

You score 30 you should win. In the last two seasons we've lost 4 games after scoring 30 or more. Before that we hadn't done it since the 90s.

Bingo!

Or 2015 either

Bingo!

Or 2015 either

If Will can bring a top 20 D to AU I think you may change your mind.

I meant that we were not really a threat throwing downfield. Marshall could complete the occasional pass but no one was really scared of us throwing the ball. His accuracy was not great and he was too short. Johnson much better passer and running backs will be just as strong. All we need is a much better defense.

Kris Frost's decision making on the field makes me hope he's never my pilot LOL cmon man, how many times do you have to hit a guy out of bounds until you learn? (Just a joke, people)

I am extremely concerned with Gus' ability to be a disciplinarian. NM saying he didn't have to run stadium steps or anything like that after his run in with the cops is concerning and reeks of the Dyer/Chizik lack of discipline/losing the team. I hope hope hope this is not going to be a trend because it bleeds onto the field as we have seen with the late hits. If Gus is too lenient on certain players due to how important they are to the team it will tear the program down from within like we saw the culmination of the Chizik era in 2012. Remember Ricky Parks who failed a drug test and got booted off the team when he was working his way back? The day Nick Marshall got busted he tweeted "I was told Auburn has a zero tolerance policy so lets see what happens with NM..." and NM was sat for just a half (and might've been less if JJ didn't look so good in the 1st half) and he was supposed to be on the shortest of leashes because of his UGA mishap.

HUGE red flag in my opinion and makes for an extremely volatile situation.

Kris Frost's decision making on the field makes me hope he's never my pilot LOL cmon man, how many times do you have to hit a guy out of bounds until you learn? (Just a joke, people)

I am extremely concerned with Gus' ability to be a disciplinarian. NM saying he didn't have to run stadium steps or anything like that after his run in with the cops is concerning and reeks of the Dyer/Chizik lack of discipline/losing the team. I hope hope hope this is not going to be a trend because it bleeds onto the field as we have seen with the late hits. If Gus is too lenient on certain players due to how important they are to the team it will tear the program down from within like we saw the culmination of the Chizik era in 2012. Remember Ricky Parks who failed a drug test and got booted off the team when he was working his way back? The day Nick Marshall got busted he tweeted "I was told Auburn has a zero tolerance policy so lets see what happens with NM..." and NM was sat for just a half (and might've been less if JJ didn't look so good in the 1st half) and he was supposed to be on the shortest of leashes because of his UGA mishap.

Ricky Parks had a zero tolerance policy on anything discipline related because he was on his 3rd strike. He got booted. NM was suspended a half. Our best player was suspended today. Whitehead sat out a third of the season. I don't think Gus has a problem disciplining anyone on the team. It's just up to them to make good descisions. I don't believe we sweep our problems under the rug as much as they do other schools.

Ricky Parks had a zero tolerance policy on anything discipline related because he was on his 3rd strike. He got booted. NM was suspended a half. Our best player was suspended today. Whitehead sat out a third of the season. I don't think Gus has a problem disciplining anyone on the team. It's just up to them to make good descisions. I don't believe we sweep our problems under the rug as much as they do other schools.

The problem is we kept having players make dumb decisions that forced Gus to discipline them, thus hurting the team.

The problem is we kept having players make dumb decisions that forced Gus to discipline them, thus hurting the team.

I agree. But it's not anything unique to Auburn. We just aren't as good as keeping in house as other programs apparently.

I am disappointed as anyone but on the bright side we are not alone with bad defenses. Consider uat gave up 86 points and 1250 yards in their last two games. Defenses just ain't what they use to be. lol WDE

I just realized something. This is the 2nd year in a row that we've lost a bowl game by the same score. Lost 34-31 to FSU and lost 34-31 to Wsconsin. Also, Gus Malzahn is 0-.2 in bowl games as Auburn's head coach

Both games that he fully lost. His play calling looks a little funny in the light. Chip Kelly never had 4 bad games play calling in any year of his college career and Malzahn is supposedly his counterpart/equal.

2009 Oregon looses to Boise St. 8-19, and Ohio St. 17-26

2010 Oregon defeats a lowly California 15-13 and looses to Auburn 19-22

2011 Oregon looses to LSU 27-40. Turned the ball over 4 times. Scored 14 in garbage time in the 4th. Lost to USC 35-38. Held to 7 points at half.

2012 Oregon looses to Stanford 14-17

That's 7 as a HC.

As an OC at Oregon

2008 Barely beats Purdue in double OT. Looses 10-44 at USC. Looses 16-24 against Cal.

So that's 10 at Oregon :)/>

In a year. In a year. You found 10 through 2008-2013 that's about 2 per year, which I think Malzahn would kill for.

Georgia and MSU. That's only 2

That's your opinion, the fact is they fell flat in more games than that this year

It was a total team effort in the loss. Defense was bad usual - 400 yards rushing to Wisc is pathetic. They are about a one dimensional as it gets and we could not stop it. Pretty much took away our manhood. The play calling in OT was bad, and Gus should shoulder the blame, but without the offense we would have been blown out. The penalties are sooooo frustrating.

There is a lot to address this off season but Gus has already taken a big step by hiring the best DC he could find. Next there needs to be some self evaluation of talent (esp on defense), play calling, and the penalties need to stop.

Eagle Eye said what was obvious to me. Why all the self-inflicted grief over giving up 40 points? I surely do not like it in any stretch of the imagination. But, should Alabama be looking to replace Kirby Smart and make wholesale changes in staff and 5-star players as they have given up over 80 points in their last 2 games? And FSU gave up over 50 to Oregon with all their 5-star players. It does seem that offense is beginning to outpace the ability of defenses to shut them down consistently week in and week out.

To compare our D with theirs is hilarious. Gordon basically ran for 200 in a half. And bammer secondary wasn't good but hell that's why they sitting at home now. Did you see what Oregon's defense did

Eagle Eye said what was obvious to me. Why all the self-inflicted grief over giving up 40 points? I surely do not like it in any stretch of the imagination. But, should Alabama be looking to replace Kirby Smart and make wholesale changes in staff and 5-star players as they have given up over 80 points in their last 2 games? And FSU gave up over 50 to Oregon with all their 5-star players. It does seem that offense is beginning to outpace the ability of defenses to shut them down consistently week in and week out.

You list a one to two game sample size highlight those teams defensive flaws while AU has been yielding below average statistics for quite some time now.

Does not compute.

It might start being time to make some self evaluations in the UA program, worst defense they've had under Saban I believe, at least against power teams. He realistically should've dumped Smart this year and tried to gain Muschamp and had a godly staff, but Saban isn't that type of guy.

I like how everyone blames offensive play calling after we gave up 400 yards rushing...

The D is a problem and the playcalling is a problem. That better for you?

The D was terrible, but they atleast forced 3 turnovers and how does the offense with Gus calling the plays thank them? 3 measly points.....

It might start being time to make some self evaluations in the UA program, worst defense they've had under Saban I believe, at least against power teams. He realistically should've dumped Smart this year and tried to gain Muschamp and had a godly staff, but Saban isn't that type of guy.

Get rid of a guy he has won 3 titles with...mmm ok

Some of you need some serious therapy...this game was gonna be tough, no good DC in place, and your best two receivers one hurt, one suspended. Plus the weak D was facing the best RB in college football - as I stated before did u honestly think the D was gonna all of a sudden start playing like the 85 Bears? Even with the D as atrocious as it was AU had a shot to tie or win it....the drive Wisky tied game with should have not happened, the offense had given u the lead would have been nice to see them stop them when it was needed most but then I had to remember they have not stopped anyone since LSU...

Archived