American Sniper

Proud Tiger

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article by a dear friend and fantastic SEAL. He perfectly summarizes why I'm not wrapped around the axel by the comments of Michael Moore. Their criticism and free forum to do so was paid for by warriors like Chief Kyle. "My fellow special-operations brothers might be shocked, but I think the comments by Messrs. Rogen and Moore have had the ironic effect of honoring Chris Kyle’s memory. They inadvertently paid Chris a tribute that joins the Texas funeral procession and “American Sniper” book sales and box office in testifying to the power of his story." http://www.wsj.com/a...iper-1422316204

I actually have a problem with the entire freedom was paid for thing.

I'm curious if Kyle is who people want us to believe by some of the comments of people that interacted with him. Btw your article link is asking for a subscription to read the entire thing.

I learned a long time ago that just cause you wear the uniform, and you fight, that doesn't make you a hero. I think I have mentioned it here before but probably the worst beating I took was by 3 "heroes" when I was in high school. They claimed a girl had a right to do with her body as she willed in this country cause they defended her rights, this then meant that they should have rights to her body. That is almost a direct quote. I took the ass beating while she ran for help

So I had to defend her rights, against those that bragged about defending her rights, and believed that defense entitled them to sexual favors.

Unfortunately for those that do get it, there are a bunch that don't. Like the ones that guilt trip you cause you don't donate to their charity... you have the freedom to shop here cause of my sacrifice. The ones that told you that you had to buy them a pitcher.......cause they defended my right to use a fake ID and drink underage. Or the complete idiot a few months ago that cut in line..... because the only reason we were able to stand in line was due to his sacrifices he informed us.

It always amazes me when military personnel claim they earned and they defended your rights to do things, then they want to take them away or you to sacrifice them just for them. It is a job, I paid my taxes, thus I paid them to go do this.

I will say though, it seems it is usually the Army that produces these individuals. I use to live in a army town and they thought they were entitled to a ton of things.

I guess its a generational thing also. Cause this never happened with WWII vets, or Korean, or Vietnam, always Gulf War and up that did it.

I have no problem respecting the ones that earn it, but some treat their service like its some ancient life debt that society must pay them from now till death and hold it over your head.

It's not just an Army thing but one that you are accustomed to. I'm not looking for rah rah and I think I have used my active or veteran status a couple of times in my life but only because someone decided to buy my lunch or kept offering until I took it. If you get around a group of people, especially younger men and women, and they have had all these "benefits" thrown at them by every other commercial entity around post....then you might start to believe that you are entitled to something. I sure as hell don't think this way.

I am very proud to have served in two of our five historic and honorable military organizations. But I don't go looking for societal cheer. I got that on my own with my battle buddies or my coasties.

I consider it different if someone offers. I was flying back from Chicago during December once and there was this kid in uniform at a airport bar and his flight had gotten delayed. I paid for his dinner.

I understand what your saying though with them getting benefits tossed at them.

The only reference to 911 was a scene on tv. Jesse Ventura is a scum bag.

Well, that sounds pretty innocuous, especially if that's the reason he volunteered. I'll have to wait to see it.

Don't really know much about JV. I just ran across that piece while I was looking.

According to the movie, he enlisted after embassy attacks in Africa. We sure are getting a lot of commentary from people who didn't see the movie.

While I have not seen the movie and am only a few pages in to the book, I do believe that Chris Kyle was a hero of sorts. He served his country in a time of war under dangerous circumstances that could have cost him his life. I also believe heroes are capable of lying, or embellishing the truth. Does that make him less of a hero? To some it will. As for me, I can look at his service and consider him a hero. Lying about punching Jesse Ventura doesn't change that in my eyes.

According to the movie, he enlisted after embassy attacks in Africa. We sure are getting a lot of commentary from people who didn't see the movie.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a participation requirement. I have read several reviews and articles about the movie, though. And you might note I haven't expressed any opinions about it, only questions.

But I promise I will see it. Sooner or later.

While I have not seen the movie and am only a few pages in to the book, I do believe that Chris Kyle was a hero of sorts. He served his country in a time of war under dangerous circumstances that could have cost him his life. I also believe heroes are capable of lying, or embellishing the truth. Does that make him less of a hero? To some it will. As for me, I can look at his service and consider him a hero. Lying about punching Jesse Ventura doesn't change that in my eyes.

Thanks Elle! You reminded me the movie is based on the book. :rolleyes:

My preference - for some reason - is to always read the book before seeing the movie. I'll check it out.

(And I agree with your post btw)

Thanks Elle! You reminded me the movie is based on the book. :rolleyes:/>

My preference - for some reason - is to always read the book before seeing the movie. I'll check it out.

(And I agree with your post btw)

Sure thing!

I have heard very good things about the film.

Great article by a dear friend and fantastic SEAL. He perfectly summarizes why I'm not wrapped around the axel by the comments of Michael Moore. Their criticism and free forum to do so was paid for by warriors like Chief Kyle. "My fellow special-operations brothers might be shocked, but I think the comments by Messrs. Rogen and Moore have had the ironic effect of honoring Chris Kyle’s memory. They inadvertently paid Chris a tribute that joins the Texas funeral procession and “American Sniper” book sales and box office in testifying to the power of his story." http://www.wsj.com/a...iper-1422316204

I'm curious if Kyle is who people want us to believe by some of the comments of people that interacted with him. Btw your article link is asking for a subscription to read the entire thing.

I learned a long time ago that just cause you wear the uniform, and you fight, that doesn't make you a hero. I think I have mentioned it here before but probably the worst beating I took was by 3 "heroes" when I was in high school. They claimed a girl had a right to do with her body as she willed in this country cause they defended her rights, this then meant that they should have rights to her body. That is almost a direct quote. I took the ass beating while she ran for help

So I had to defend her rights, against those that bragged about defending her rights, and believed that defense entitled them to sexual favors.

Unfortunately for those that do get it, there are a bunch that don't. Like the ones that guilt trip you cause you don't donate to their charity... you have the freedom to shop here cause of my sacrifice. The ones that told you that you had to buy them a pitcher.......cause they defended my right to use a fake ID and drink underage. Or the complete idiot a few months ago that cut in line..... because the only reason we were able to stand in line was due to his sacrifices he informed us.

It always amazes me when military personnel claim they earned and they defended your rights to do things, then they want to take them away or you to sacrifice them just for them. It is a job, I paid my taxes, thus I paid them to go do this.

I will say though, it seems it is usually the Army that produces these individuals. I use to live in a army town and they thought they were entitled to a ton of things.

I guess its a generational thing also. Cause this never happened with WWII vets, or Korean, or Vietnam, always Gulf War and up that did it.

I have no problem respecting the ones that earn it, but some treat their service like its some ancient life debt that society must pay them from now till death and hold it over your head.

It's not just an Army thing but one that you are accustomed to. I'm not looking for rah rah and I think I have used my active or veteran status a couple of times in my life but only because someone decided to buy my lunch or kept offering until I took it. If you get around a group of people, especially younger men and women, and they have had all these "benefits" thrown at them by every other commercial entity around post....then you might start to believe that you are entitled to something. I sure as hell don't think this way.

I am very proud to have served in two of our five historic and honorable military organizations. But I don't go looking for societal cheer. I got that on my own with my battle buddies or my coasties.

I consider it different if someone offers. I was flying back from Chicago during December once and there was this kid in uniform at a airport bar and his flight had gotten delayed. I paid for his dinner.

And you are right....it has gotten worse since 92. I tell young officers and enlisted all the time that they must act in a way that doesn't diminish the rank and file of those who have worn the uniform in the past. We must be humble in our service but grateful when approached.

And you are right....it has gotten worse since 92. I tell young officers and enlisted all the time that they must act in a way that doesn't diminish the rank and file of those who have worn the uniform in the past. We must be humble in our service but grateful when approached.

Well stated. Thank you!

The only reference to 911 was a scene on tv. Jesse Ventura is a scum bag.

Amen and AMEN...

Just saw the movie. It was good, but a lot of differences from the book.

If I had to do it again, I'd have just read the book and skipped the movie.

Well, I am #43 in line (for 8 copies) at our Library.

I actually remember seeing it displayed in the "new arrivals" section before the movie came out.

Saw the movie. Riveting. Kyle is a hero. But reinforces my belief of what a colossal mistake the Iraq War was. We created more threats than we were ever chasing. And in the end we were stuck nation building with our blood and treasure. More than a decade later we're still stuck in some one else's civil war as Iraq is a growing hotbed of secretarian violence. Stupid stupid stupid.

Saw the movie. Riveting. Kyle is a hero. But reinforces my belief of what a colossal mistake the Iraq War was. We created more threats than we were ever chasing. And in the end we were stuck nation building with our blood and treasure. More than a decade later we're still stuck in some one else's civil war as Iraq is a growing hotbed of secretarian violence. Stupid stupid stupid.

A war on terrorism that actually created more terrorism.

Books are always better. :-)

I agree. We should have fought them in Afghanistan with 250,000 troops. Instead we shifted their map to Iraq and destabilized the region.

J agree with the comments on Iraq but hindsight is always 20/20. We could say the same about Viet Nam.

Vietnam was part of the failed Domino Theory. Iraq was Jr. trying to finish his Daddy's job, right or wrong.

J agree with the comments on Iraq but hindsight is always 20/20. We could say the same about Viet Nam.

Vietnam was part of the failed Domino Theory. Iraq was Jr. trying to finish his Daddy's job, right or wrong.

Thus demonstrating exactly why Daddy didn't want to "finish it". :rolleyes:

Thus demonstrating exactly why Daddy didn't want to "finish it". :rolleyes:/>

Not the reason but good try. Senior had an agreement in place with the Arab partners. He stood by that agreement.

Not the reason but good try. Senior had an agreement in place with the Arab partners. He stood by that agreement.

What makes you so sure there was only one reason?

Or to put it another way, why assume Bush was conceding anything by agreeing to that?

If that was important to getting cooperation with the Arabs, I'd say it was pretty damn shrewd of him to get something you are willing to concede anyway. After all, we can assume there were people around him providing that council.

Baby Bush went to war in Iraq with intelligence that was thinner than one of the Olsen twins. He was trying to finish Daddy's job. We had zero business invading Iraq. They had no connection to 9/11 and it's safe to say the WMDs that were claimed to be there didn't exist.

A war on terrorism that actually created more terrorism.

Like the saying goes "The War on Drugs gave us more drugs. The War on Terror gave us more terrorists. Maybe we should declare a war on jobs and education and see where it goes."

Archived