Jovon already displaying leadership role

StatTiger

I didn't see Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber make their concession speeches. Did I miss something, or is Jovon counting his chickens a bit early? K. Johnson will be a bit behind because of not being here this coming spring but there will be a serious competition for that "95%" of the carries before anyone is crowned king. Jovon may or may not win the job.

Gotta love the confidence though. Yes he will have to earn it but I love his attitude. I want Roc and Peyton to have the same confidence and attitude. I want all the players on the team to be like that.

I didn't see Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber make their concession speeches. Did I miss something, or is Jovon counting his chickens a bit early? K. Johnson will be a bit behind because of not being here this coming spring but there will be a serious competition for that "95%" of the carries before anyone is crowned king. Jovon may or may not win the job.

Gotta love the confidence though. Yes he will have to earn it but I love his attitude. I want Roc and Peyton to have the same confidence and attitude. I want all the players on the team to be like that.

Agreed, with this and with mcgufcm's comments expressing a similar opinion.

Sorry, I didn't put much thought into the exaggeration.

What i meant to say with my 95% comment was that Robinson will get 95% (exaggerated number) of the RB carries.

I think Jovon Robinson will get so many carries that there will be complaints on this board as to why Johnson, Thomas, and Barber are not on the field more. I'm not sure if there was any real reason that CAP should've gotten above and beyond so many more carries than the other RBs outside of possibly something that Gus must've told him during recruiting. Was the talent gap that huge? It's pure speculation on my part, though.

Gus didn't even give the other backs a chance to establish themselves like Tre Mason had to do while splitting carries the first 4 games of 2013.

Well that's not totally true. While Artis-Payne did have more carries in the first 4 games of 2014 than Mason did in 2013, the bulk of the carries were distributed among 4 different backs in 2013 compared to only 3 in 2014.

2013 first 4 games

Mason -------65 carries 338 yards

Artis-Payne -42 carries 207 yards

Marshall --41 carries 148 yards

Grant ---------26 carries 239 yards

That's rushes carries out of a total of 184 rushes through 4 games.

2014 first 4 games

Artis-Payne ------86 carries 356 yards

Marshall ----------42 carries 273 yards

Grant -------------34 carries 216 yards

That's 162 carries out of 191. The remaining 29 carries were split among multiple players Thomas, Barber, Louis and Jeremy Johnson

Grant finished with 60 carries in 2014, so he had more than half his carries in the first 4 games. Grant finished with 66 carries in 2013

I did not realize grants carries were so close to the same both years. It proves he did not break free as much this year. I thought he was shorted a lot more this year in terms of number of carries

I wonder if there will more or fewer carries in general next year?

On the one hand, Jeremy Johnson isn't likely to get the rushing calls that Nick Marshall got. On the other hand, with passing success, we might not miss Nick's rushing yards...or have as many rushing plays in general. Love the running back corp we'll have though!

I'd call it an embarrassment of offensive riches. And with just a 1st year Muschamp & Co. defense, I don't think we'll be playing "catch up/keep up" next year, it'll be "when do WE feel like letting off the gas pedal"?

I wonder if there will more or fewer carries in general next year?

On the one hand, Jeremy Johnson isn't likely to get the rushing calls that Nick Marshall got. On the other hand, with passing success, we might not miss Nick's rushing yards...or have as many rushing plays in general. Love the running back corp we'll have though!

I'd call it an embarrassment of offensive riches. And with just a 1st year Muschamp & Co. defense, I don't think we'll be playing "catch up/keep up" next year, it'll be "when do WE feel like letting off the gas pedal"?

I hope we don't let off the gas until it's 50-0.

I think you might have missed something. I don't see anything in this article that says Jovon is "counting his chickens...".

We do understand that only KJ was quoted in this article, right?

KJ did say that Jovon said, "He told me he can only do so much"

This warrants nothing in the way of thinking he has the starting job.

KJ is the one that said, "We have Roc (Thomas), but he's going to need me to come in and be ready to play. He told me I have to be ready to give >>>>>them<<<<< help."

For all we know Jovon views him and ROC as both #1's in the lineup.

Sorry, I didn't put much thought into the exaggeration.

What i meant to say with my 95% comment was that Robinson will get 95% (exaggerated number) of the RB carries.

I think Jovon Robinson will get so many carries that there will be complaints on this board as to why Johnson, Thomas, and Barber are not on the field more. I'm not sure if there was any real reason that CAP should've gotten above and beyond so many more carries than the other RBs outside of possibly something that Gus must've told him during recruiting. Was the talent gap that huge? It's pure speculation on my part, though.

Gus didn't even give the other backs a chance to establish themselves like Tre Mason had to do while splitting carries the first 4 games of 2013.

Well that's not totally true. While Artis-Payne did have more carries in the first 4 games of 2014 than Mason did in 2013, the bulk of the carries were distributed among 4 different backs in 2013 compared to only 3 in 2014.

2013 first 4 games

Mason -------65 carries 338 yards

Artis-Payne -42 carries 207 yards

Marshall --41 carries 148 yards

Grant ---------26 carries 239 yards

That's rushes carries out of a total of 184 rushes through 4 games.

2014 first 4 games

Artis-Payne ------86 carries 356 yards

Marshall ----------42 carries 273 yards

Grant -------------34 carries 216 yards

That's 162 carries out of 191. The remaining 29 carries were split among multiple players Thomas, Barber, Louis and Jeremy Johnson

Grant finished with 60 carries in 2014, so he had more than half his carries in the first 4 games. Grant finished with 66 carries in 2013

That's interesting. It just didn't "feel" that way watching the games this year. Probably because an added body was taking other carries in 2013.

I think you might have missed something. I don't see anything in this article that says Jovon is "counting his chickens...".

We do understand that only KJ was quoted in this article, right?

KJ did say that Jovon said, "He told me he can only do so much"

This warrants nothing in the way of thinking he has the starting job.

KJ is the one that said, "We have Roc (Thomas), but he's going to need me to come in and be ready to play. He told me I have to be ready to give >>>>>them<<<<< help."

For all we know Jovon views him and ROC as both #1's in the lineup.

The bolded part, to me, looks like he's assuming he will start and get the bulk of the carries but is acknowledging that he can't take 100% of the carries. My opinion.

Archived