Auburn Future Power Five Non-Conference Opponent(s) in 2018 & 2019

WarEagleAU

I don't think we will add a team from ACC (Clemson in 16' & 17') and Pac-12 (California in 20' & 21') if we decided to schedule a home-and-away football series.

Probably a team from Big Ten or Big 12.

Big 12:

Baylor added Duke in 18'.

Kansas St added Miss St in 18' & 19'.

Oklahoma added UCLA in 18' & 19'.

TCU added Ohio St in 18' & 19'.

Texas added Maryland/USC in 18' & LSU in 19'.

West Virginia added NC State in 18' & 19' / Tennessee in 18' / Missouri in 19'.

Big Ten:

Michigan added Arkansas in 18' & 19'.

Michigan St added Arizona St in 18' & 19'.

Nebraska added Colorado in 18' & 19'.

Northwestern added Notre Dame & Duke in 18' & Stanford & Army in 19'.

Ohio St - See TCU.

Purdue added Missouri in 18'.

Rutgers added Kansas in 18' & Miami in 18' & 19'.

There are 5 teams on my mind: Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

--- OR ---

2018: Arizona, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Oregon

2019: Arizona, Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Oregon

I'd go with Penn State (home-and-away football series) or Notre Dame in 18' / Florida State in 19'.

Thoughts?

Some teams I would have preferred have more than likely locked in their future power 5 opponents for those seasons. It's starting to become slim pickings for that 'headliner' caliber team many were hoping for.

FSU, UNC or TTU would be my favorable choices.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan has also told us no previously to a home and home series before. However, both Notre Dame and Michigan said they would play us but only if we Dome agree to play our home game in the Georgia Dome or The Jerry Dome.

I hope AU holds fast on this. If it is home/home then we need to be in Jordan/Hare

I know y'all get tired of me saying this, but we should play a home and home series with South Florida. If for no other reason other than getting 2 wins, just think of the recruits in South Florida that could come watch us play in person. We could end up signing a hand full of 4 and 5* studs from that part of Florida.

exactly. I want to play in the big house, but want them back in AU too...

I don't have any way to know for certain but it might be different now. Auburn isn't going to go there without a return visit from them.

Are you sure? ok. Well I now for a fact that Auburn has never played Notre Dame or UCLA.

Yes we played Penn State. 94 in Tampa, first bowl after probation. Stephen Davis got hurt, we got drummed. I was there. Then the second time I can't remember the year but they made a fuss about the Penn State tailback and Ronnie Brown stole the show.

Auburn played Michigan once in the 2000's and lost in one of the Florida bowls and beat them in the Sugar Bowl with the 83 team, should of been a NC sealing victory.

exactly. I want to play in the big house, but want them back in AU too...

I don't have any way to know for certain but it might be different now. Auburn isn't going to go there without a return visit from them.

I'm with you. Auburn is not gonna give them a home game without one in return. If they want to play in Dallas or Atlanta that will be a one time deal.

Why not a home/home series with UCLA? I can remember Tennessee and UCLA played a few home/home series. Why couldn't we?

I'm pretty sure we had a deal in place a couple of years ago to play them in Atlanta. They wanted us to come back and play in the rose bowl. So essentially they would not give us a home game.

I would love to stomp a mudhole in Texas. I have lots of friends that are Texas fans and they never stop running their mouths about how much better they are and their state is... :puke:

Michigan is going to be a damn good team in the very near future. Both Big Sparty and the Suckeyes have much to worry about in the coming years. I would say adding Jim Harbaugh as head coach is going to have the exact same - if not better - outcome as the 'turds hiring Saban. So for us to play them in the future I think would be cool.

My top 5 teams from P5 conferences that I would like to see us play in the very near future are (in no particular order):

• Texas Longhorns: I think Charlie Strong will get this ship pointed in the right direction. He really lifted Louisville past Petrino-levels of good; once he gets a QB that's half decent the 'horns will be in the mix for Big12 titles.
  • TCU Horned Frogs: Gary Patterson is a defensive mastermind and the Frogs are no joke. They've been a much better team than they've been given credit for many times over the past 5 years and they won't be falling off the map anytime soon.

Now of COURSE I want to see Auburn play one of these two teams as a home and home since I live in Austin :)

• Washington Huskies: I think Chris Peterson will have the huskies competing for Pac12 titles soon and he will outperform Sarkisian at USC.
  • Ohio State: Hate em and I think we would pound them.
  • Michigan State: Had friends that went :) Dantonio fields a top-notch defense and running game every year. When he has a seasoned QB at his disposal they are tough.

On a side note: It looks like despite a new head coach Boise State is still going to field a top quality team. With a new staff in place in their first game together they played Ole Miss pretty tough until the 4thQ this past year. I think it would be a great "non-pwer 5 :-\ " matchup for us. If we scheduled Boise and Texas or OSU in the same season and happen to win the SEC despite a loss, I don't think we would be left out of a playoff.

Michigan is going to be a damn good team in the very near future. Both Big Sparty and the Suckeyes have much to worry about in the coming years. I would say adding Jim Harbaugh as head coach is going to have the exact same - if not better - outcome as the 'turds hiring Saban. So for us to play them in the future I think would be cool.

My top 5 teams from P5 conferences that I would like to see us play in the very near future are (in no particular order):

• Texas Longhorns: I think Charlie Strong will get this ship pointed in the right direction. He really lifted Louisville past Petrino-levels of good; once he gets a QB that's half decent the 'horns will be in the mix for Big12 titles.
  • TCU Horned Frogs: Gary Patterson is a defensive mastermind and the Frogs are no joke. They've been a much better team than they've been given credit for many times over the past 5 years and they won't be falling off the map anytime soon.

Now of COURSE I want to see Auburn play one of these two teams as a home and home since I live in Austin :)/>

• Washington Huskies: I think Chris Peterson will have the huskies competing for Pac12 titles soon and he will outperform Sarkisian at USC.
  • Michigan State: Had friends that went :)/> Dantonio fields a top-notch defense and running game every year. When he has a seasoned QB at his disposal they are tough.

On a side note: It looks like despite a new head coach Boise State is still going to field a top quality team. With a new staff in place in their first game together they played Ole Miss pretty tough until the 4thQ this past year. I think it would be a great "non-pwer 5 :-\/> " matchup for us. If we scheduled Boise and Texas or OSU in the same season and happen to win the SEC despite a loss, I don't think we would be left out of a playoff.

If we play Boise it would be a neutral site game. I personally wouldn't mind going out there. It is beautiful country but I can't see Auburn doing that.

Now of COURSE I want to see Auburn play one of these two teams as a home and home since I live in Austin :)/>

• Michigan State: Had friends that went :)/> Dantonio fields a top-notch defense and running game every year. When he has a seasoned QB at his disposal they are tough.

On a side note: It looks like despite a new head coach Boise State is still going to field a top quality team. With a new staff in place in their first game together they played Ole Miss pretty tough until the 4thQ this past year. I think it would be a great "non-pwer 5 :-\/> " matchup for us. If we scheduled Boise and Texas or OSU in the same season and happen to win the SEC despite a loss, I don't think we would be left out of a playoff.

If we play Boise it would be a neutral site game. I personally wouldn't mind going out there. It is beautiful country but I can't see Auburn doing that.

Still wouldn't mind it either way. But your absolutely right. Jay Jacobs SUCKS at scheduling quality non-conference matchups; though I will give him some props on the Cal series and the Louisville matchups. But Clemson AGAIN is idiotic and boring and he KNOWS the fans are annoyed with it. As well, I just don't buy into the whole "we're in the toughest division" crap. That may be the case now or every couple of years or so; but that's not going to be the case EVERY year and we all know it. Not to mention last year's bowl season exposed the SEC west as overrated so it ain't all that right now. Tough yes - but looking at schedules, other SEC teams do much better scheduling than we do; LSU has persistently played top-notch non-conference games and has scheduled TWO P5 games out of conference on more than one occasion over the past few seasons. South Carolina and UGA have that same situation happening in the coming years. I can't even remember the last time Auburn scheduled 2 P5 non-conference games. And more often than not we have three crap OOC games to compliment our ONE decent matchup. You keep doing that then have a season where Arkansas, A&M and the Mississippi schools revert to their normal mediocre-at-best selves and we could win the conference and find ourselves in TCU's position. But JJ looks like he just isn't going to figure it out anytime soon. :-\

Still wouldn't mind it either way. But your absolutely right. Jay Jacobs SUCKS at scheduling quality non-conference matchups; though I will give him some props on the Cal series and the Louisville matchups. But Clemson AGAIN is idiotic and boring and he KNOWS the fans are annoyed with it. As well, I just don't buy into the whole "we're in the toughest division" crap. That may be the case now or every couple of years or so; but that's not going to be the case EVERY year and we all know it. Not to mention last year's bowl season exposed the SEC west as overrated so it ain't all that right now. Tough yes - but looking at schedules, other SEC teams do much better scheduling than we do; LSU has persistently played top-notch non-conference games and has scheduled TWO P5 games out of conference on more than one occasion over the past few seasons. South Carolina and UGA have that same situation happening in the coming years. I can't even remember the last time Auburn scheduled 2 P5 non-conference games. And more often than not we have three crap OOC games to compliment our ONE decent matchup. You keep doing that then have a season where Arkansas, A&M and the Mississippi schools revert to their normal mediocre-at-best selves and we could win the conference and find ourselves in TCU's position. But JJ looks like he just isn't going to figure it out anytime soon. :-\/>

Well scheduling also involves the coach. Gus has a hand in that as well. We don't know who they're talking to about those two years. Boise isn't in a power 5 conference so that kind of puts a crimp in that for a home and home plus their stadium is rather small. It honestly doesn't make sense to do that.

If it was up to Jacobs and Jacobs alone, he'd make deals with Tulane, Southern Miss., La. Tech, La Monroe, Clemson, Arkansas State and some I-AA teams. We should have been scheduling teams like Texas, Penn State, Mchigan, Southern Cal when they were still down. Now, their on the way back to being on top.

If it was up to Jacobs and Jacobs alone, he'd make deals with Tulane, Southern Miss., La. Tech, La Monroe, Clemson, Arkansas State and some I-AA teams. We should have been scheduling teams like Texas, Penn State, Mchigan, Southern Cal when they were still down. Now, their on the way back to being on top.

It takes two to tango as the saying goes. Michigan hasn't been willing to come to Auburn. It's not like Auburn has been a consistent powerhouse team. I'm not defending JJ as such, but none of us know who they may have tried to schedule for a home and home only to be told no.

If it was up to Jacobs and Jacobs alone, he'd make deals with Tulane, Southern Miss., La. Tech, La Monroe, Clemson, Arkansas State and some I-AA teams.

That's completely ridiculous, just like 99.9% of your posts.

We should have been scheduling teams like Texas, Penn State, Mchigan, Southern Cal when they were still down. Now, their on the way back to being on top.
When are you going to wake up and realize that there's more than a good chance that Auburn has contact them and they all told us NO. You have ZERO knowledge of what teams our athletic department has contacted in regards to football scheduling. NOBODY in the country can pick up the phone and tell someone to be at their stadium on this date to play a game. That's not how it works. Open dates don't always match up and believe it or not there are a lot of schools that don't want to come to Auburn to play a game

If it wasn't for the NCAA ordering all teams from super 5 conference to play at least 1 tough series, JJ would be happy playing smaller IA teams and 1 or 2 IAA teams everything year.

This year we play (IAA) Jacksonville Sate. Next year 'we'll (IAA) Alabama A&M for the second time since we beat them 51-7 for Homecoming in 2012.

Archived