Streyeder Thinks OU is #1

Proud Tiger

That's because you are sad little leg humper that sucks up on other schools boards then badmouths them on someone else's boards. Most people here don't see that but I see it on the bama board and the LSU board, The LSU guys have your number too. :moon:

133566[/snapback]

You just want to start a fight with anyone who doesn't love Auburn, bottom line.

133580[/snapback]

Ah even a leg humper catches on after awhile :cheer:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BG, the quality of your posts is slipping.  I used to look forward to your cool, reasoned comments, but now you have gotten into the mold of sniveling, snipping gutter stuff.  It isn't very becoming.  You are bigger than that.

You have probably seen this before, but it's worth repeating:

2004 AUBURN REVIEW

1.  Regarding Auburn, SEC Champs:

Auburn lead the nation in scoring defense.

The SEC has 5 teams in the top 20 (AP/Coaches), more than the Big-12 and Pac-10 COMBINED.

The SEC has 4 teams in the final BCS top 15, the same as the Pac-10 and

Big-12 COMBINED.

There are more mid-majors in the top 20 than in the Big-12.

There are more mid-majors in the top 20 than in the Pac-10.

Auburn has won more games against 9-win teams than OU and USC

COMBINED.

For the record:

- AU beat UGA, LSU, and TN twice

- sou-cal beat VaTech and Cal

- okie beat Texas only

Auburn has won more games against 9-win teams than the ENTIRE Pac-10 conference.

Auburn has won more games against 9-win teams than the ENTIRE Big-12

conference.

Auburn has won as many games against 9-win teams as the Pac-10 and

Big-12 conferences COMBINED.

The Sugar Bowl pits the SEC Champ against the ACC Champ. There are 5

teams in the top 20 in the SEC, 4 in the top 20 in the ACC. That's 9 schools in the top 20 represented by their conference champions in the Sugar Bowl.

There are more top 20 teams in the ACC and SEC than the Pac-10, Big-12,

Big-10, and Big East COMBINED.

and every mid-major conference combined.

And, one interesting factoid...

Should Auburn, UT, UGA, and LSU win out, Auburn will have won 5 games

against teams with 10 wins. That would be the toughest schedule in the

history of college football.

(--Post on chat site by "Tiger Statistition")

2.  Regarding Auburn QB Jason Campbell:

The Heisman finalists include three quarterbacks: Oklahoma's Jason White, who won it last year, USC's Matt Leinart and Utah's Alex Smith.

Campbell, the quarterback who didn't make the final cut, had more impressive numbers in the most important categories.

The Auburn senior was No.3 in the nation in passing efficiency. His rating of 172.7 put him just behind Smith and well ahead of White, who was sixth, and Leinart, who was ninth.

Yards per attempt is a key stat that measures just how efficiently a

quarterback moves his team. Campbell was second in the nation there, ahead of Smith, White and Leinart.

Completion percentage? Campbell finished fourth in the nation in that category, ahead of Leinart, Smith and White.

As good as Campbell's numbers are, the anecdotal evidence favors him, too. How many other quarterbacks led a last-minute touchdown drive to come from behind and beat the defending national champions?

How many other quarterbacks put together such gaudy numbers against a steady diet of the best defenses in the nation?

And how many other quarterbacks gained more total yards than anyone in the history of their conference title game? Campbell's 431 total yards broke the SEC Championship Game record set by Florida's Danny Wuerffel in 1996.

(Wuerffel won the Heisman that year.)

Combine what he did and who he did it against. Compare where he finished to where he started. Contrast his numbers with those of the other top players in the nation at his position.

Put it all together, and it was easy to fill out my Heisman ballot this way: 1. Jason Campbell; 2. Matt Leinart; 3. Adrian Peterson.

It just made sense to choose the players who had the best years from the teams who had the best seasons, the most valuable players from the most deserving teams.

It's unfortunate for Campbell that not enough people saw it that way. All he did was have a Heisman season without a Heisman invitation.

It's a shame the nation didn't recognize him.

--Kevin Scarbinsky

Birmingham News

Now, as far as Auburn's performance in their last two games, do you know that Auburn shut out the eventual MNC Bama for the entire first half in '92? 

You have to either say that Bama is not very much of a team or that Auburn beat the Number 1 defense in the Nation quite comfortably--the last Bama score was meaningless.  By the way, Bama was not the best defensive team on the field in that game.

133503[/snapback]

and didn't UA hold Auburn scoreless the first half THIS year?

BG, the quality of your posts is slipping.  I used to look forward to your cool, reasoned comments, but now you have gotten into the mold of sniveling, snipping gutter stuff.  It isn't very becoming.  You are bigger than that.

2004 AUBURN REVIEW

The SEC has 5 teams in the top 20 (AP/Coaches), more than the Big-12 and Pac-10 COMBINED.

Big-12 COMBINED.

COMBINED.

For the record:

- okie beat Texas only

Auburn has won more games against 9-win teams than the ENTIRE Pac-10 conference.

conference.

teams in the top 20 in the SEC, 4 in the top 20 in the ACC. That's 9 schools in the top 20 represented by their conference champions in the Sugar Bowl.

The Heisman finalists include three quarterbacks: Oklahoma's Jason White, who won it last year, USC's Matt Leinart and Utah's Alex Smith.

Campbell, the quarterback who didn't make the final cut, had more impressive numbers in the most important categories.

The Auburn senior was No.3 in the nation in passing efficiency. His rating of 172.7 put him just behind Smith and well ahead of White, who was sixth, and Leinart, who was ninth.

quarterback moves his team. Campbell was second in the nation there, ahead of Smith, White and Leinart.

Completion percentage? Campbell finished fourth in the nation in that category, ahead of Leinart, Smith and White.

As good as Campbell's numbers are, the anecdotal evidence favors him, too. How many other quarterbacks led a last-minute touchdown drive to come from behind and beat the defending national champions?

How many other quarterbacks put together such gaudy numbers against a steady diet of the best defenses in the nation?

And how many other quarterbacks gained more total yards than anyone in the history of their conference title game? Campbell's 431 total yards broke the SEC Championship Game record set by Florida's Danny Wuerffel in 1996.

Combine what he did and who he did it against. Compare where he finished to where he started. Contrast his numbers with those of the other top players in the nation at his position.

Put it all together, and it was easy to fill out my Heisman ballot this way: 1. Jason Campbell; 2. Matt Leinart; 3. Adrian Peterson.

It just made sense to choose the players who had the best years from the teams who had the best seasons, the most valuable players from the most deserving teams.

It's unfortunate for Campbell that not enough people saw it that way. All he did was have a Heisman season without a Heisman invitation.

--Kevin Scarbinsky

Birmingham News

Now, as far as Auburn's performance in their last two games, do you know that Auburn shut out the eventual MNC Bama for the entire first half in '92? 

You have to either say that Bama is not very much of a team or that Auburn beat the Number 1 defense in the Nation quite comfortably--the last Bama score was meaningless.  By the way, Bama was not the best defensive team on the field in that game.

133503[/snapback]

133643[/snapback]

Therefore, connecting the dots, I conclude that Auburn should be this year's NC :big:

Bo...thanks for responding. Like I said I will back off but I will note I didn't suggest kicking BG off this board. I'm just harrassing him like hell so I assume you think that's OK? 

Of course it's okay, I think that's part of the reason for BG, TF24 and myself for coming over here is the harsassment. We're like masochists or something. :big:

I for one have no problem with you calling Streyder out, he posted his on a public forum for the world to see also. And, I don't think he has a problem with you posting it either. At least in his post he didn't act like he was ashamed of his post or anything.

2004 AUBURN REVIEW

Big-12 COMBINED.

COMBINED.

For the record:

- okie beat Texas only

conference.

--Kevin Scarbinsky

Birmingham News

133503[/snapback]

133643[/snapback]

Therefore, connecting the dots, I conclude that Auburn should be this year's NC :big:

133651[/snapback]

Hey, I'm a BAMA fan... i'll readily admit it... but i like talking football with anyone, that's why i'm here.

I have a strong dislike for Auburn only during football and baseball season. I know no one who has gone to Auburn and i didn't attend BAMA, so it's not personal to me. I support BAMA when they are playing AU in the Iron Bowl, because it's a RIVALRY.

But, that being said, i do think it should be AU and OU in the Orange Bowl. That simple. USC got left out last year, the coaches weren't gonna stand them up again, and someone got left out. BOTTOM LINE: The BCS SUCKS, and we need a playoff, or the 4+1 system

It is very typical. What did we REALLY expect? :P

Bo...thanks for responding. Like I said I will back off but I will note I didn't suggest kicking BG off this board. I'm just harrassing him like hell so I assume you think that's OK? 

Of course it's okay, I think that's part of the reason for BG, TF24 and myself for coming over here is the harsassment. We're like masochists or something. :big:

I for one have no problem with you calling Streyder out, he posted his on a public forum for the world to see also. And, I don't think he has a problem with you posting it either. At least in his post he didn't act like he was ashamed of his post or anything.

133658[/snapback]

Bo...again I agree. Strey didn't react as bad as BG and BG wasn't even the accused. BG pissed me off calling me a "whiny baby tattle tale." He should have shown some respect and said "grown tattle tale." :big::big:

The post of Kevin Scarbinsky is great. To add to it:

Auburn and OU's conference opponents combined records were several games over .500

USC's??? right at .500

Auburn and OU's non-confernece opponents combined records were under .500, while USC's was over .500

Auburn and OU had better overall opponent combined records than USC.

I felt AU's wins over Bama and UT should have been more impressive than OU wins over Baylor and Colorado. I think, as others have said, that there is an obvious mid west and west coast bias against the South. Why b/c the FEAR us!!! That's why!! I don't think there is a good fix for the National Championship game. Even if there is a playoff system with the top 8, who is going to choose the Top 8 then! Not the AP voters anymore, the coaches, who don't get to watch many games at all?? Would a panel of the best football minds in the nation be able to be unbiased to rank teams??? So we get a playoff with the top 8 teams.....#9 and #10 will fuss b/c the are not #8 when they are a 10-1 Boise St and a 9-2 UGA is #7 or #8. I don't think there is a good fix for this mess. I think some form of a playoff is needed. There are more highly competetive major conference and mid-major conference teams now than ever before. Something has to be done.

None of this really matters. AU did all it or any other team could do. I can remember the day that an AU victory at Jordan Hare West would have been followed by UAT fans falling on their swords. Things are back to normal now that the Bear has been gone. What other team can claim that their chief rival has won every single game played at their stadium for the past 100 years.

Opinions and opinion polls are just that, opinions. Everybody has one. Until AU is beaten, it has just as much right to claim a NC as anyone. In fact, any conference champion could make the same claim. A playoff is the only answer. Until then, NC are just opinions. How many wild card teams have walked away with the trophy?

Conference strength, strength of schedule, and etc. means nothing toward determining the best team. In 2001, we beat a Fla Team that was No.1 in the opinion poll at that time, next week guess what, the opinion had another opinion.

When Dubose was hired, the UAT President had the highest fan support, opinion, of any recent Bammer coach hired. Four years later, fans could not wait to run him off. Opinion had changed. PLAY it OFF and see who the REAL NC is.

Archived