March 5 Thought on Listening

Proud Tiger

aufaninga......like I said, don't expect everyone to join in but don't lump everyone in your comments either.Go back and look at your post mentioning "listening" in the unemployment rate thread and note the only poster you call by name. Then come back and read this whole thread and tell me who you see making insults.

Well, here's a chance to actually test the sincerity of your appeal for better listening.

How about YOU going back through this thread and SHOW us those "insults". Keep in mind that expressions of skepticism are not insults.

The only one I found was "simpleton" and even that one was apparently addressed to the skeptics. Perhaps you need to "listen" better.

I think their are those that would disagree. Might want to read back through them. And my use of "simpleton's" was not intended to insult anyone. The word is tossed around frequently here and I borrowed it if you will. And you and I both know the typical target. Might not have fit the bill, but big whoop. Ban me if you must, but it was to make a point. Look, PT's proposal was to try to remain civil in discussions with posters. I think that is admirable and quite frankly he appears to be doing quite well. Wouldn't you agree? Who are we to try and change that proposal?

Thanks again PT. Those slinging trash do not lessen a Noble effort on your part.

aufaninga......like I said, don't expect everyone to join in but don't lump everyone in your comments either.Go back and look at your post mentioning "listening" in the unemployment rate thread and note the only poster you call by name. Then come back and read this whole thread and tell me who you see making insults.

Well, here's a chance to actually test the sincerity of your appeal for better listening.

How about YOU going back through this thread and SHOW us those "insults". Keep in mind that expressions of skepticism are not insults.

The only one I found was "simpleton" and even that one was apparently addressed to the skeptics. Perhaps you need to "listen" better.

I think their are those that would disagree. Might want to read back through them. And my use of "simpleton's" was not intended to insult anyone. The word is tossed around frequently here and I borrowed it if you will. And you and I both know the typical target. Might not have fit the bill, but big whoop. Ban me if you must, but it was to make a point. Look, PT's proposal was to try to remain civil in discussions with posters. I think that is admirable and quite frankly he appears to be doing quite well. Wouldn't you agree? Who are we to try and change that proposal?

I wasn't trying to single you out. I scanned through every post and that was the only example of an adjective addressed to a person or people. I only mentioned it because it was the only example. Without it, i could have said there were no examples. But I agree, it's innocuous enough to hardly to qualify.

The greater point here is the irony of PT promoting "listening" while demonstrating a classic example of miss-representing what people have said.

If everyone is serious about this, then the best way to make it happen is by training ourselves not to do it. A necessary part of improvement is acknowledging your mistakes.

I'm not picking on PT. Props to him for feeling it's important. But I think someone has already said, the proof is in the pudding.

......... Look, PT's proposal was to try to remain civil in discussions with posters. I think that is admirable and quite frankly he appears to be doing quite well. Wouldn't you agree? Who are we to try and change that proposal?

Actually, I think the proposal was to "listen". To me that means first, carefully trying understand what someone is saying, and second, taking it seriously. Don't deliberately miss-interpret it for a straw man you can proceed to tear apart.

To paraphrase the quote PT cited earlier (which reflects perfectly what I am talking about) "it's more important to be understood than agreed with".

As far as trying to improve civility, screw it. Part of the fun here is the battle of wits. I don't mind giving or getting it as long as it's amusing. Genuine, bad incivility is self-apparent. If people want to expose themselves as angry bitter people, then let 'em.

It's the crazy, rants I'd like to get rid of. Especially those directed at the straw man made from your post.

Too many people on this forum use it to vent their spleen. They treat it like talk radio. And it's boring as hell. There's some give and take, but not as much as there should be.

Texan4Auburn,,,,wasn't that BEFORE the last two days. Have I mad a nasty post lately.. Give it a try :dunno:

Let me know when you get your 30 day coin.

Archived