Starbucks to encourage baristas to discuss race with customers

cooltigger21

Its all about cherry picking the Word:

http://technoccult.net/archives/2009/10/23/why-is-this-anti-gay-leviticus-tattoo-extra-absurd/

Yesterday, Andrew Sullivan put up a post about an extremely brutal hate-crime attack on an openly gay man. The 2-minute news report he embeds is depressing, but there was something to laugh about at the end. The studio interviewed one of the attackers’ friends, who proudly displayed this tattoo.

It’s a tattoo reading “[Thou] shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination. Leviticus 18:22?. Who else sees the problem here?

Leviticus also forbids tattooing. In the very next chapter.

“Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28?

http://www.allaboutgod.com/what-are-the-seven-deadly-sins-faq.htm

What are the seven deadly sins?

Many people are asking, “What are the seven deadly sins?” The seven deadly sins viewed by society and literature are:

• Lust – to have an intense desire or need: “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:28).
  • Gluttony – excess in eating and drinking: “for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags” (Proverbs 23:21).
  • Greed - excessive or reprehensible acquisitiveness: “Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more” (Ephesians 4:19).
  • Laziness – disinclined to activity or exertion: not energetic or vigorous: “The way of the sluggard is blocked with thorns, but the path of the upright is a highway” (Proverbs 15:19).
  • Wrath – strong vengeful anger or indignation: “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1)
  • Envy – painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage: “Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” (1 Peter 2:1-2).
  • Pride - quality or state of being proud – inordinate self esteem: “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18).

- See more at: http://www.allaboutgod.com/what-are-the-seven-deadly-sins-faq.htm#sthash.hiEckSwc.dpuf

Folks, gluttony is a sin too. All sin makes you come up short of the glory of God. People who mangle scripture so as to describe any hierarchies of sin, (ie one sin is worse than another) do not understand the Word of God.

Amen brother.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all about cherry picking the Word:

http://technoccult.net/archives/2009/10/23/why-is-this-anti-gay-leviticus-tattoo-extra-absurd/

Yesterday, Andrew Sullivan put up a post about an extremely brutal hate-crime attack on an openly gay man. The 2-minute news report he embeds is depressing, but there was something to laugh about at the end. The studio interviewed one of the attackers’ friends, who proudly displayed this tattoo.

It’s a tattoo reading “[Thou] shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination. Leviticus 18:22?. Who else sees the problem here?

Leviticus also forbids tattooing. In the very next chapter.

“Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28?

http://www.allaboutgod.com/what-are-the-seven-deadly-sins-faq.htm

What are the seven deadly sins?

Many people are asking, “What are the seven deadly sins?” The seven deadly sins viewed by society and literature are:

• Lust – to have an intense desire or need: “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:28).
  • Gluttony – excess in eating and drinking: “for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags” (Proverbs 23:21).
  • Greed - excessive or reprehensible acquisitiveness: “Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more” (Ephesians 4:19).
  • Laziness – disinclined to activity or exertion: not energetic or vigorous: “The way of the sluggard is blocked with thorns, but the path of the upright is a highway” (Proverbs 15:19).
  • Wrath – strong vengeful anger or indignation: “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1)
  • Envy – painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage: “Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” (1 Peter 2:1-2).
  • Pride - quality or state of being proud – inordinate self esteem: “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18).

- See more at: http://www.allaboutgod.com/what-are-the-seven-deadly-sins-faq.htm#sthash.hiEckSwc.dpuf

Folks, gluttony is a sin too. All sin makes you come up short of the glory of God. People who mangle scripture so as to describe any hierarchies of sin, (ie one sin is worse than another) do not understand the Word of God.

Amen brother.

...and Amen

McDonald's coffee is $1.00...it takes about 45 seconds in the morning to order it, pay and be gone. Good old American ingenuity and efficiency at work. Anyone paying for anything at Starbucks deserves to be lectured by a 20 year old Pajama Boy on race...

Unless there's a line, I've never had to wait more than a minute for coffee at a Starbucks. But then, I order coffee, not a venti, non-fat, skinny, soy Cafe Americano. They walk over, pour it and hand it to me.

If you were engaged by one of these skinny jeans wearing baristas, and they asked you how you feel about racism, and you didn't follow the company line, and said, "I don't think it's that big of a deal." How long would it take for the pitchforks and torches to come out?

ALL Conservatives, Black and White...... :Sing:

And white 'conservatives' across the country give themselves a high five...

Brother, it was a lame attempt at being PC. If these jackwads wanted to do something real, sponsor some speakers at the lacal campuses, donate to charity, etc. This was a naked quasi-pc attempt to pick up some extra love and business and therefore $$$. Nothing more. What kind of constructive input are you gonna get in 5 minutes with a minimum wage barista?

1. Reinforce the Starbucks image as a progressive, caring company. Check

2. Make a positive statement concerning a real problem. Check

3. Generate tons of free publicity thanks to social media. Check

Seems like mission accomplished to me. ;D

1. Reinforce the Starbucks image as a progressive, caring company. Check

2. Make a positive statement concerning a real problem. Check

3. Generate tons of free publicity thanks to social media. Check

Seems like mission accomplished to me. ;D

Kudos for honesty. It was a nakedly capitalistic idea.

Starbucks will end, after 1 week, the #racetogether effort.

Already ended it.

It hurt their business...A LOT

I dont buy that it hurt their business at all. I would argue that it more intesely endeared one of their main consumer groups: political active Americans that lean toward the Left.

Already ended it.

I dont buy that it hurt their business at all. I would argue that it more intesely endeared one of their main consumer groups: political active Americans that lean toward the Left.

I don't think it had much of an effect one way or the other.

ALL Conservatives, Black and White...... :Sing:/>

We had a party , I can assure you .^ 5 !!

Already ended it.

I don't think it had much of an effect one way or the other.

I could even see that, i dont buy that it hurt their business at all, especially over the long run.

It didn't hurt their business in the least IMHO. People go there to buy coffee. That it...

It didn't hurt their business in the least IMHO. People go there to buy coffee. That it...

If I were a regular customer there, I wouldn't stop going there because of it. It just gives me one more reason to not go there in the first place. Main thing is I just don't care to go pay that much for a cup of coffee.

Already ended it.

Link?

Already ended it.

Link?

Well, I dont have a link but i was in business for 4 decades and my experience tells me reversals of this nature are not driven by perception but by dollars and cents. You can disagree, no problem. Business is business and stupid conversations with the overwhelming majority of customers who simply want to get their coffee and move on, as opposed to being lectured about racism, was ill conceived in the first place.

Well, I dont have a link but i was in business for 4 decades and my experience tells me reversals of this nature are not driven by perception but by dollars and cents. You can disagree, no problem. Business is business and stupid conversations with the overwhelming majority of customers who simply want to get their coffee and move on, as opposed to being lectured about racism, was ill conceived in the first place.

So you made it up. Thought so. No evidence whatsoever that it "hurt" their business at all, much less "A LOT."

No one said anything about lecturing. It's called starting a conversation. And from what I've read in multiple places the biggest issue is logistics. The baristas simply don't have the time unless it's really slow to stop and open up a conversation about anything without creating a big backup in drinks being made.

So you made it up. Thought so. No evidence whatsoever that it "hurt" their business at all, much less "A LOT."

No one said anything about lecturing. It's called starting a conversation. And from what I've read in multiple places the biggest issue is logistics. The baristas simply don't have the time unless it's really slow to stop and open up a conversation about anything without creating a big backup in drinks being made.

LOL. They stopped the program. Ya think they stopped it because it was a resounding success? Making excuses for a stupid program will never make it a better idea. Besides, Starbucks fancies themselves such a socially conscious company, if it had been even moderately well received, I guarantee you, they'd still be doing it. I get it, you disagree. Thats what makes this country great.

You know Titan, you have an awfully itchy trigger finger when it comes to calling me out about lying or making s*** up. Seems to have gotten a bit personal with you but since you asked for a link, which you could have found on your own but, preferred to accuse me of making it up as you usually do...here it is

http://www.nytimes.c...-race.html?_r=0

"The initiative, which began last week, was mocked with such vehemence on social media that the company’s senior vice president for global communications deleted his Twitter account because, as he wrote on Medium, he felt “personally attacked in a cascade of negativity.”

I'd say that pretty much makes my point.

Archived