Starbucks to encourage baristas to discuss race with customers

cooltigger21

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should meet at the Chik-Fil-A..............oh wait cant do that in Selma either.

https://www.google.c...z/data=!3m1!4b1

Guess what, there isn't one in Ferguson either.

Don't people in Selma and Ferguson need God and Chicken too?

I'm betting like CFA the economy of Selma/Ferguson is why there isn't on there.

Nice red herring. Chick-Fil-A never made an utter ASS of themselves with a phony as hell PR stunt, like Starbucks has.

Thanks for proving my point, even further.

There's multiple Starbucks in Montgomery and Birmingham....

But none in Selma or Ferguson.

We should meet at the Chik-Fil-A..............oh wait cant do that in Selma either.

https://www.google.c...z/data=!3m1!4b1

Guess what, there isn't one in Ferguson either.

Don't people in Selma and Ferguson need God and Chicken too?

I'm betting like CFA the economy of Selma/Ferguson is why there isn't on there.

Nice red herring. Chick-Fil-A never made an utter ASS of themselves with a phony as hell PR stunt, like Starbucks has.

It's not a strawman.

It is a here is a stupid argument cause the first argument is stupid cause it has absoluty nothing to with why neither of those corporations are in Selma argument.

Jack the Selma income up from 20k to 50k and I bet within a month both those companies are in there.

Maybe the Federal Govt should just make a law that the average family income should be jacked up to 50 K, huh ?

Maybe the Federal Govt should just make a law that the average family income should be jacked up to 50 K, huh ?

That would probably fit with the Chik Fil A mission statement. You know love they neighbor and all, not very Christian to not glorify God by not supplying low income families with fatty, high caloric foods! or maybe they think everyone in Selma is gay and should have no rights or forgiveness. Think of how many hungry people in Selma trying to make ends meet they could of fed if they wouldn't of donated all that money to discrimination based charities. Ooooo.... maybe Chik Fil A figured if they put a store in a highly African American area they would be contributing to equal rights and the devil would get them!

It's the weekend, if you want to play the immature stupid comment game then sounds good to me lol.

:lol:

CFA is one of the better fast food places, w/ regards to menu and fatty foods, out there. If you're gonna bash anyone, make it a burger joint. But that would go against your clear agenda, which isn't at all about criticizing fatty, high caloric foods. It's about bashing CFA.

So, are you militantly gay ? Or just militant atheist ?

That would probably fit with the Chik Fil A mission statement. You know love they neighbor and all, not very Christian to not glorify God by not supplying low income families with fatty, high caloric foods! or maybe they think everyone in Selma is gay and should have no rights or forgiveness. Think of how many hungry people in Selma trying to make ends meet they could of fed if they wouldn't of donated all that money to discrimination based charities. Ooooo.... maybe Chik Fil A figured if they put a store in a highly African American area they would be contributing to equal rights and the devil would get them!

It's the weekend, if you want to play the immature stupid comment game then sounds good to me lol.

Okay, Love you man, BUT that was full blown crazy.

How did CFA get drug into this?

What "discrimination based charities" are you referring to?

CFA is a "Franchisee" based business. It is not a corporately owned business model.

All "not having a franchise in Selma/Ferguson" means is that no franchisee has asked to put one there.

I promise that CFA had anyone wanting to open one in Ferguson or Selma, they would gladly start selling their corporate merchandise to anyone with the means to or inclination to put a building up or go into the local mall and open one up.

Just because someone doesnt agree with you OR ME on every issue doesnt make them evil. If you dont like their business model or their mission statement simply dont do business with them.

I do not agree with all their thinking, but i can also tell you that when we need to do fundraisers for kids with cancer, schools, homeless, rescue missions, other local charities, etc that CFA is ALWAYS one of the first ones to give. They give at a stupid high level ALL THE TIME. Do i like that CFA is imho not showing Christian love and acceptance toward their gay employees? Hell no. But you know, there isnt any company anywhere that i agree with totally.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1729968.html

One gay employee who works at Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta, Ga., and asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing his job, says he is getting it from both sides. On the one hand, there is the customer who came in and said he supported Dan Cathy and then "continues to say something truly homophobic, e.g. 'I'm so glad you don't support the queers, I can eat in peace,'" the employee, who is 23 and has worked for Chick-fil-A since he was 16, wrote in an email. On the other hand, he continued, "I was yelled at for being a god-loving, conservative, homophobic Christian while walking some food out to a guest in a mall dining room."

He disagrees with Cathy's views, but the reaction from the public has been just as hard to swallow.

"It seems like very few people have stopped to think about who actually works for Chick-fil-A and what those people's opinions are," he wrote. "They are putting us in a pot and coming to support us or hate us based on something they heard and assume we agree with."

Gabriel Aguiniga, a gay employee at a Chick-fil-A in Colorado, also said the hardest part hasn't been hearing Cathy's comments. Instead, "[it's] constantly having people come up to you and say, 'I support your company, because your company hates the gays,'" Aguiniga, 18, wrote in an email. "It really takes a toll on me."

Management is encouraging employees at the stores to remain neutral, no matter what customers say, according to multiple workers interviewed by The Huffington Post.

"Our managers have recommended just saying 'Thank you for your business' if a customer says they agree with Cathy’s comments, rather than agreeing or disagreeing with them," K, an openly gay Chick-fil-A employee in Louisiana, told HuffPost in an email.

But staying neutral can be difficult when it feels like the world is passing judgment on everyone associated with the company.

"Now, anyone that works there is stuck with a stigma of being homophobic, even when many of us are far from it," K said. One of her coworkers, who supports same-sex marriage, has had people say things like, “Don’t give me that hate sh*t,” and “I hope you choke on that chicken," while she was handing out samples.

But for K, the hardest part hasn't been the actions of customers and protesters, it's the money the company gives to anti-gay groups.

"At the end of the day part of our profits still go towards Dan Cathy, and subsequently, all the organizations he supports," she said. K is now actively searching for work elsewhere. Many of her coworkers, she said, are looking for new jobs, too.

The groups Chick-fil-A gives to include the Family Research Council and Exodus International, according to Equality Matters, an initiative associated with the progressive Watchdog group, Media Matters. The Family Research Council is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, :thumbsdown: while Exodus International is a Christian Ministry that has long endorsed ex-gay therapy, a controversial practice of "curing" gay people that mainstream mental health organizations have disavowed. (In recent months, the president of Exodus has tried to distance his group from the idea that gay people can be "cured.") :thumbsup:

Several of the gay and lesbian employees interviewed by The Huffington Post said that they liked their work, and had never witnessed incidents of homophobia or discrimination on the job. But Chick-fil-A restaurants are operated by independent owners, and employee experience can vary widely depending on the person running a particular chain.

The company owners of CFA have a certain view of things and give money to groups that believe pretty much the same things. They don't ask their employees to agree with that or promote it in a store. I've been to their restaurants in many locations and never once had any person say anything to me about religion or politics.

The most I've ever gotten from chik fil a is have a blessed day. Their service in every store I've been to is amazing. I do have to LOL at how Starbucks sucks to all the people that don't really believe racism not that big of a deal. What a coincidence huh?

The most I've ever gotten from chik fil a is have a blessed day. Their service in every store I've been to is amazing. I do have to LOL at how Starbucks sucks to all the people that don't really believe racism not that big of a deal. What a coincidence huh?

Starbucks sucked before this. Now they really suck.

Jump to conclusions much? Have you had that burnt mess? The coffee is awful, that's why they put so much sugar and whipped cream and milk in it. Starbucks admits that they overroast their beans.

Jump to conclusions much? Have you had that burnt mess? The coffee is awful, that's why they put so much sugar and whipped cream and milk in it. Starbucks admits that they overroast their beans.

I like Starbucks coffee. I also like Chick Fil A's food.

There, I said it. All the boycott people can go suck rocks.

Starbucks one of the most profitable business out there so too many can't hate them....

Yeah, and music on the top 40 charts is " the best " too.

I know you aren't talking to me admin, because I have never liked that burned crap. There I said it.

I'm not into boycotts. I wasn't going to go to Starbucks anyway. This business of having a discussion about race didn't make any difference. I'm not going to tell anyone else they shouldn't. If you or anyone else likes it and wants to go, good for you. Knock yourself out.

I know you aren't talking to me admin, because I have never liked that burned crap. There I said it.

If you're boycotting, I'm talking to you. If not, then I'm not.

What conclusion did I jump to?

Starbucks one of the most profitable business out there so too many can't hate them....

Point?

Reading is good for you, you should try it.

Point?

Just because a lot of folks frequent it, doesn't make it the best. McDonald's isn't the best dining. despite its billions served.

Pretty self explanatory point.

Also, Starbucks has put itself in a position to be hated by more folks, by its own actions. But go have a grande and an over priced cookie, if you feel you must. I don't care.

What conclusion did I jump to?

That Starbucks sux to all the people that say racism isn't that big of a deal. I have never liked that crap.

Reading is good for you, you should try it.

I read just fine. I thought I was pretty clear in who I was talking to. Only you can know whether it applied to you or not.

Archived