Starbucks to encourage baristas to discuss race with customers

cooltigger21

The most I've ever gotten from chik fil a is have a blessed day. Their service in every store I've been to is amazing. I do have to LOL at how Starbucks sucks to all the people that don't really believe racism not that big of a deal. What a coincidence huh?

Jump to conclusions much? Have you had that burnt mess? The coffee is awful, that's why they put so much sugar and whipped cream and milk in it. Starbucks admits that they overroast their beans.

What conclusion did I jump to?

That Starbucks sux to all the people that say racism isn't that big of a deal. I have never liked that crap.

That is absolutely not jumping to an conclusion. The people in this thread that said Starbucks sucks and they don't like them anyway are the same people who said racism is overblown

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cole........Please list the names of the people you are referring to.......those that fit both of your above criteria.

Starbucks one of the most profitable business out there so too many can't hate them....

Yeah, and music on the top 40 charts is " the best " too.

Point?

Just because a lot of folks frequent it, doesn't make it the best. McDonald's isn't the best dining. despite its billions served.

Pretty self explanatory point.

Also, Starbucks has put itself in a position to be hated by more folks, by its own actions. But go have a grande and an over priced cookie, if you feel you must. I don't care.

I didn't or anyone in this thread for this matter said it was the best dining place, but the profit margin does suggest many people go to the restaurant....I personally don't drink coffee. But everything at chik fil a is over priced too....including the cookies....But I eat there anyway because I love it, I'm sure there is somebody that doesn't...And I know you don't care what I eat, the feeling is mutual

Yes it is. You state that people don't like Starbucks just because of this race thing. Some, like me, have never liked the stuff.

Yes it is. You state that people don't like Starbucks just because of this race thing. Some, like me, have never liked the stuff.

That is NOT what I stated, I stated it was funny that the people who were on the side of saying racism wasn't a big deal are also the ones that state that Starbucks sucks, or don't go there, or they are over priced. Also it seems those people like chik fil a

Weegs....you may as well give up. cole is in his usual MO.......saying something then denying it.......stirring the pot for the sake of argument....on and on.

The most I've ever gotten from chik fil a is have a blessed day. Their service in every store I've been to is amazing. I do have to LOL at how Starbucks sucks to all the people that don't really believe racism not that big of a deal. What a coincidence huh?

Here's my quote unedited. So apologise or delete your false (lie) statement

Your statement implies that you believe that the only reason that people don't like Starbucks is because of the race hashtag thing. Not that difficult.

Well I'm sorry it read that way because that's not what I was saying at all. This race stuff from Starbucks happened a couple of days ago right? I'm sure your views on racism have been for a while....I was more implying that all of you always agree with the SAME stuff with EVERYTHING. So maybe it was a little more difficult than you thought

Only person that I've seen disagree out of the group since I've been on this thread is raptor regarding the frat boys racial slur fest. But you can shake your head all you want, I do the same at some of your posts as well

I'm not angry about anything so how is that? You're letting your lack of experience cloud yours

Again you can't speak for a race of people and again in your case it's all about I'm fine so I don't care

I can see this....I've never sampled their coffee but the few times I've glanced into one of their stores it did strike me as an ideal place to discuss "white privilege".

http://www.huffingto..._n_1729968.html

One gay employee who works at Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta, Ga., and asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing his job, says he is getting it from both sides. On the one hand, there is the customer who came in and said he supported Dan Cathy and then "continues to say something truly homophobic, e.g. 'I'm so glad you don't support the queers, I can eat in peace,'" the employee, who is 23 and has worked for Chick-fil-A since he was 16, wrote in an email. On the other hand, he continued, "I was yelled at for being a god-loving, conservative, homophobic Christian while walking some food out to a guest in a mall dining room."

He disagrees with Cathy's views, but the reaction from the public has been just as hard to swallow.

"It seems like very few people have stopped to think about who actually works for Chick-fil-A and what those people's opinions are," he wrote. "They are putting us in a pot and coming to support us or hate us based on something they heard and assume we agree with."

Gabriel Aguiniga, a gay employee at a Chick-fil-A in Colorado, also said the hardest part hasn't been hearing Cathy's comments. Instead, "[it's] constantly having people come up to you and say, 'I support your company, because your company hates the gays,'" Aguiniga, 18, wrote in an email. "It really takes a toll on me."

Management is encouraging employees at the stores to remain neutral, no matter what customers say, according to multiple workers interviewed by The Huffington Post.

"Our managers have recommended just saying 'Thank you for your business' if a customer says they agree with Cathy’s comments, rather than agreeing or disagreeing with them," K, an openly gay Chick-fil-A employee in Louisiana, told HuffPost in an email.

But staying neutral can be difficult when it feels like the world is passing judgment on everyone associated with the company.

"Now, anyone that works there is stuck with a stigma of being homophobic, even when many of us are far from it," K said. One of her coworkers, who supports same-sex marriage, has had people say things like, “Don’t give me that hate sh*t,” and “I hope you choke on that chicken," while she was handing out samples.

But for K, the hardest part hasn't been the actions of customers and protesters, it's the money the company gives to anti-gay groups.

"At the end of the day part of our profits still go towards Dan Cathy, and subsequently, all the organizations he supports," she said. K is now actively searching for work elsewhere. Many of her coworkers, she said, are looking for new jobs, too.

The groups Chick-fil-A gives to include the Family Research Council and Exodus International, according to Equality Matters, an initiative associated with the progressive Watchdog group, Media Matters. The Family Research Council is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, :thumbsdown: while Exodus International is a Christian Ministry that has long endorsed ex-gay therapy, a controversial practice of "curing" gay people that mainstream mental health organizations have disavowed. (In recent months, the president of Exodus has tried to distance his group from the idea that gay people can be "cured.") :thumbsup:

Several of the gay and lesbian employees interviewed by The Huffington Post said that they liked their work, and had never witnessed incidents of homophobia or discrimination on the job. But Chick-fil-A restaurants are operated by independent owners, and employee experience can vary widely depending on the person running a particular chain.

Thanks for posting that DKW. I hadn't seen it. It really cuts to the truth of this controversy.

Anyone ever check to see how many women or minorities are high up in Starbuck's corporate structure. A quick look showed NONE.

'\

Weegs....you may as well give up. cole is in his usual MO.......saying something then denying it.......stirring the pot for the sake of argument....on and on.

Maybe it's just me, but if a Starbucks employee tried to talk to me about social issues while I'm trying to order coffee, I'd probably treat them the same way I do Jehovah's Witnesses or people on the streets who are preaching about Doom's Day and just call them nutjobs in my head while I tap my foot, anxiously awaiting the moment I can disengage from the conversation.

I really can't see how you'd bring it up unless t.v.is on and happened to be showing a story regarding racial issues while you happened to be ordering or something like that...

Anyone ever check to see how many women or minorities are high up in Starbuck's corporate structure. A quick look showed NONE.

'\

Hey...it's a bunch of liberals....what do you expect?

Archived