Starbucks to encourage baristas to discuss race with customers

cooltigger21

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. CFA is one of the most successful franchises going. Their stores are almost always busy. I wish I could buy stock in them.

Starbucks is an Obama contributor so I never go in one. Besides that their stuff is way over priced.

Amen and Amen

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. CFA is one of the most successful franchises going. Their stores are almost always busy. I wish I could buy stock in them.

Starbucks is an Obama contributor so I never go in one. Besides that their stuff is way over priced.

It's not meant for folks like you. ;)

It's not mean (meant ? ) for folks like you. ;)

Ahh yes, the elitist attitude outs itself.

It's not mean (meant ? ) for folks like you. ;)/>

True. In many ways...

Lol. It is a question on a cup for conversation and you are flipping out.

Me and a whole lot of customers who DID like Starbucks, but who have given them an earful at how asinine and ridiculous this campaign of there's is, yes.

Course you left out that glorifying god is in the company's mission statement. Shouldn't the companies mission statement be make and sell chicken?

Actually, I didn't. I spoke SPECIFICALLY about that , so you'd best re-read my comments. At no time did I ever see a crucifix or get read one of the 10 commandments or a bible verse at any time I went to Chick-fil-A.

You have tell me that their mission statement had anything to do w/ God for me to know. As a customer, I don't see it. They could be honoring Lucifer , Allah or the Power Puff girls, for all I know. What they DO is sell chicken. That's what I DO know.

Funny, you scold CFA for their own views, but don't get bent out of shape when Starbucks shoves THEIR views in the faces of the customers.

YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT THIS !!!!!! is basically what they are telling me.

No, YOU should sell coffee, and kindly STFU.

But cool... then stop letting Girl Scouts sell cookies outside your store. Stop letting veterans ask for money outside your door. Stop asking me if I want to donate to X chapter, or X chapter, or Z or Y every time I make a purchase. You really think it is hard to find that corporation pushing social agenda's? Don't leave little jars with the stuff on it sitting next to the registers either!!!

Now you're rambling incoherently.

Lol, putting a question on a cup and saying would you like to add a dollar to your purchase the dollar will go to benefit X that helps with X is the same thing. Except instead of noticing it on my cup I had to stand there and listen to the counter person promote it and ask for money for it.

it's not a " question " , it's a # statement, with a specific intent.

Would you be so " cool " if CFA had " #gotJESUS " on their cups ? CLEARLY, you'd be pissed as hell about it, because you are already so bothered w/ their company mission statement , which 99.9999999999999 % of all customers neither know or care about.

As it should be.

They sell chicken, and they do a pretty damn good job of it.

As for Starbucks...my only regret is that i can't go there less than I already do. Which is never.

Lmao.

I don't care what Chik-Fil-A does. I don't go there nor do I go to Starbucks. Not a fan of coffee nor 1000kcal plus meals, which if I'm scolding CFA over anything it is that. I think the entire thing is funny. You guys are the ones that got pissed for someone simply saying Chick Fil A does the same type of things.

Let's see.

You cite ONE CFA restaurant out of how many 1000's which allows some to hold bible study ? That is so NOT anywhere near a comparison to what Starbucks is shoving in the customer's face,

FIrst..I'd like to see your statistics and exact number on how many do and do not hold bible study lol. Have some evidence on that. That does not mention the mission statement of the company. That discusses a Chick-Fil-A mentioned in a article.

I've been to CFA HUNDREDS of times, easy, and not once have I heard anyone behind the counter so much as wish me a blessed day. It is beyond ridiculous to claim CFA on any level, as far as the customer is aware, does what this idiotic Starbucks campaign is trying attempting to do.

Still doesn't address the mission statement (unless you consider that one phrase being the full representation of the mission statement, which I don't). Your probably lucky to even get a thank you out of them lol. Also just cause they don't say have a blessed day doesn't mean they don't follow the mission statement in the way the organization is run, the charities they support and ask customers to support, the press and media that they do... and on and on and on.

And c'mon. Everyone knows CFA has a heavy Christian roots. It isn't a secret, never has been. Fact they did use to put bible versus on their cups:

, Cathy openly incorporated Christianity into his business, from putting Bible quotes on the styrofoam sweet-tea cups to closing the entire chain on Sundays

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/09/chick-fil-a-selling-chicken-with-a-side-of-god/379776/

You are the one that says you should only sell coffee.. do nothing but sell coffee....stfu and sell coffee. Then CFA should do the same with chicken all things being equal and God shouldn't be in their mission statement. It should be sell chicken!!! Get people fat!!!! Sell chicken!!!! Promote diabetes!!! Sell chicken!!! Fight good health!!! lol.

Mentioning charities btw is not rambling. Those charities are set up to deal with social issues and talking points. By allowing those charities to solicit, or you soliciting for, said charity you are then stating that your organization/corporation supports the mission of the charity in resolving that issue. Charities you support are representative of views and corporations are judged by them. Asking me to donate a dollar to X, or having a jar sitting there for X is the same as putting something on a cup to me.

When the cup reads how many time have you __________ topic? That is a question.

Oh and yes, as a regular practicing member of the Methodist church you got me. Hashtag Jesus is just gonna send me over the edge, off my rocker, and get me rip roaring mad. Then if they wished me a blessed day, oh man....... instead of saying Thank you, you too. Me and ole Barry and Lucifer, Odin, Thor, Athena, and Aphrodite would just march on down to Atlanta and Sherman the HQ's is what I would do!!!! Then I would throw them all to the lions at the Zoo while blasting "Are you not entertained" over a loudspeaker.

Least CFA isn't like In-and-Out burger and tries to top secret clandestine present bible versus to its customers lol. Which I don't care about really, except that I think it is lame they try and hide the versus. Put it on their proudly

innoutgospel.jpg

It's not mean (meant ? ) for folks like you. ;)

It comes naturally from participating on this forum.

But thanks for catching my typo anyway.

Then CFA should do the same with chicken all things being equal and God shouldn't be in their mission statement.

Who the hell are you to say what they SHOULD do, and that every place has to be equal ? Every damn business has a mission statement. I have no clue what CFA's is or says, save for what you claim. Know why ? IT DOESN'T MATTER ! Why ? Because it's not plastered on their signs or in their advertising, at all.

You're completely off your rocker if you think what CFA does bares any resemblance to what Starbucks is trying to do. And it's beyond a reach to equate some fine print on the bottom inside rim of a cup to the arrogant coffee servers ( aka baristas ) overtly getting in your face and scrawling the front of one's cup some social nonsense.

Not a fan of coffee nor 1000kcal plus meals, which if I'm scolding CFA over anything it is that. I think the entire thing is funny. You guys are the ones that got pissed for someone simply saying Chick Fil A does the same type of things.

First, 1000 cal meals can be found anywhere, but if that's your BEEF with CFA, then you really are barking up the wrong tree. Lay off ghe large fries, and just about any meal will be reasonable. ( well below 1000 calories )

Second - It's no where NEAR the same thing as to what Starbucks is trying to do and what damn near anyone else does. If it were, there'd not be anywhere near this sort of backlash. And yes, it is a HUGE backlash. To deny it only paints you into the 15 % or so hard core idiots who think this is a good idea.

Then CFA should do the same with chicken all things being equal and God shouldn't be in their mission statement.

Who the hell are you to say what they SHOULD do, and that every place has to be equal ? Every damn business has a mission statement. I have no clue what CFA's is or says, save for what you claim. Know why ? IT DOESN'T MATTER ! Why ? Because it's not plastered on their signs or in their advertising, at all.

You're completely off your rocker if you think what CFA does bares any resemblance to what Starbucks is trying to do. And it's beyond a reach to equate some fine print on the bottom inside rim of a cup to the arrogant coffee servers ( aka baristas ) overtly getting in your face and scrawling the front of one's cup some social nonsense.

No need to worry Raptor. Simply have a discussion about this with a member of a road crew or animal control. Also, it may be a good idea to solve the whole Middle East issue by talking with one of the ladies at Kinkos!!!

Not a fan of coffee nor 1000kcal plus meals, which if I'm scolding CFA over anything it is that. I think the entire thing is funny. You guys are the ones that got pissed for someone simply saying Chick Fil A does the same type of things.

First, 1000 cal meals can be found anywhere, but if that's your BEEF with CFA, then you really are barking up the wrong tree. Lay off ghe large fries, and just about any meal will be reasonable. ( well below 1000 calories )

Second - It's no where NEAR the same thing as to what Starbucks is trying to do and what damn near anyone else does. If it were, there'd not be anywhere near this sort of backlash. And yes, it is a HUGE backlash. To deny it only paints you into the 15 % or so hard core idiots who think this is a good idea.

I don't have the right to say what CFA can do. Just like you don't have the right to say what Starbucks can do.

Lol, I'm not the one telling CFA to stfu and do anything. You are the one telling Starbucks what they should or should not do though. Why is that CFA can do whatever it wants and Starbucks cant? Cause you support CFA and not Starbucks. That is the only reason. All I'm doing is taking the same attitude that you are using against Starbucks and applying it to CFA.

I'm just pointing out they both send messages through charity, through media, and both have done it on their cups. Fact if CFA wants to put up a sign saying we are a Christian organization, please enjoy today's verse on your cup, and have a blessed day. Go for it. Just like if Starbucks wants to put we should all be equal on their cup. Go for it.

You are the one viciously defending CFA actions. Lol, I said IF I scold CFA I will choose their menu and you even had to jump in and defend a what if about CFA. I judge all those restaurants the same btw, CFA, Burger King, McDonalds, Jack's, Sonic.. etc etc. I've toyed with their nutrition menu, quite aware of what their most common meals equal up to kcal wise.

Funny how all the sudden putting bible versus on cups and things isn't forcing something on someone. It isn't like Starbucks is the Wiener Circle in Chicago lol. There you go, that is my equivalent response.

At no point have I said there is no backlash. I think it is a interesting concept, dangerous, but still interesting.

No need to worry Raptor. Simply have a discussion about this with a member of a road crew or animal control. Also, it may be a good idea to solve the whole Middle East issue by talking with one of the ladies at Kinkos!!!

Least you would get a more intelligent, unbiased, fact based, open discussion than you would from a mod on this forum :Sing: .

And the last lady I talked to at a copy shop had just got accepted to medical school!!! Whether you want to admit it or not, all those kids over at Lowder that will go to the Starbucks in it now will look to see what their cup says, ask what their friend cup says and then will discuss it.

Then that conversation will shape the future as the move on in the world, cause by then I will have gotten rich in the healthcare system by fast tracking old farts like you through death panels and none of you will be around.

The Melusine depiction on the logo keeps me away from Starbucks. Found the "dagon" themed picture a little creepy even before I became a bible thumper.

"Welcome to Chick Fil-A. Before you order, I'd like to engage you in a conversation about my personal savior, Jesus."

So what store did you have this confrontation in? What time of day?

"Welcome to Chick Fil-A. Before you order, I'd like to engage you in a conversation about my personal savior, Jesus."

I have ate at CFA all of my life and have never seen nor heard anything remotely close to this.

I have ate at CFA all of my life and have never seen nor heard anything remotely close to this.

That was my point, i think we have a situation where people are putting words into other's mouths to make a point.

As for Starbucks, put the slogans on the cups and let it go. The idea that some coffee addled, near minimum wage, barista is going to have a substantive conversation about race is just funny.

That was my point, i think we have a situation where people are putting words into other's mouths to make a point.

As for Starbucks, put the slogans on the cups and let it go. The idea that some coffee addled, near minimum wage, barista is going to have a substantive conversation about race is just funny.

It was a 'hands up/ don't shoot' comparison, as in - it never happened.

So why try to play it off as the same thing , when in fact, it's NO thing, at all.

#racetogether means no where what they are trying to make it mean. Let's all run a road race together ? Bicycle together ? Race what together ?

It's dopey, and pointless. It sounds like it came from the mind of a 6th grader, with out any real concept of what was being said.

This whole racism thing is a media driven, agenda based, propaganda enraged, overblown, over-hyped, bunch of bs that those whose business it is to lead protests and marches don't ever want to go away because their purpose would be gone. Get your heads out of network news and get your eyes off of agenda driven websites and get out of the house for a change and interact with actual people and you will see that maybe 5% of what the "news" projects is actual racism, and 95% of society gets along fine. Are there still stupid people? Well yeah. But this country isn't a racism plagued country.

It was an overstatement to make a point.

If Starbucks wants to do this, more power to them. It's their company and they can run it anyway they choose. That in and of itself isn't going to keep me out. I just don't go for the trendy hipster places. People raise hell about Chick Fil A but when you go in there all you get is some high school or college age kid being polite asking what you want to order and then giving it to you without any social commentary of any kind. I'd venture to say most of them don't have a clue about the beliefs of the company owner when it comes to social or political issues. It's probably the same at Starbucks. These kids are there to make a few extra bucks while they're going to school and that's the extent of it for them.

I knew a man who ran an auto repair shop years ago. He was a very religious man and if he knew you he would discuss things like that with you but he never made it a point to mention it to every customer that came through the place. A local restaurant owner is a very religious individual and they always have a bible verse or something similar up on their sign outside. They have some things inside the restaurant as well that are visible but the waitresses don't come up and ask you what you want to eat and then try to start a discussion about religion vs secularism or anything else.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/03/19/dennis_miller_on_the_stabucks_anti-racism_campaign_i_just_wrapped_up_a_death_penalty_symposium_over_at_jiffy_lube.html

Dennis Miller On The Starbucks Anti-Racism Campaign: "I Just Wrapped Up A Death Penalty Symposium Over At Jiffy Lube

Why don't we all agree to meet at the Starbucks in downtown Selma, AL, and have a nice , healthy discussion on RACE ???

Oh, hold on.. we can't.

There isn't a Starbucks in Selma.

Nor is there one in Ferguson either.

<_<

#PhonyashellPRcampaign.

Why don't we all agree to meet at the Starbucks in downtown Selma, AL, and have a nice , healthy discussion on RACE ???

Oh, hold on.. we can't.

There isn't a Starbucks in Selma.

Nor is there one in Ferguson either.

<_<

#PhonyashellPRcampaign.

Yes diversions in full effect. I've seen this tired argument for days in my twitter feed from all the right wingers. Hey Raptor what about: Wetumpka, Troy, Alexander City, Eufala, Ozark and the hundreds of Alabama cities that don't have a Starbucks?

We should meet at the Chik-Fil-A..............oh wait cant do that in Selma either.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/chik+fil+a+Selma,+AL/@32.7881995,-86.859232,9z/data=!3m1!4b1

Guess what, there isn't one in Ferguson either.

Don't people in Selma and Ferguson need God and Chicken too?

I'm betting like CFA the economy of Selma/Ferguson is why there isn't on there.

Archived