Starbucks to encourage baristas to discuss race with customers

cooltigger21

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me, but if a Starbucks employee tried to talk to me about social issues while I'm trying to order coffee, I'd probably treat them the same way I do Jehovah's Witnesses or people on the streets who are preaching about Doom's Day and just call them nutjobs in my head while I tap my foot, anxiously awaiting the moment I can disengage from the conversation.

Sure, but then how likely are you to come back to that or some other Starbucks, with the knowledge that you'd be hit up again w/ more #racetogether nonsense ? Especially w/ the knowledge that you can take your business to any number of other coffee shops, and be free of that sort of in your face guilt lace nagging ?

Anyone ever check to see how many women or minorities are high up in Starbuck's corporate structure. A quick look showed NONE.

'\

Hey...it's a bunch of liberals....what do you expect?

http://news.starbucks.com/leadership

Looks like 6 of 18 in the top tier of executives are women and/or minorities.

Getting back to the original post...I'm not sure why it's a bad thing to simply encourage people to open a dialogue about race relations with one another. Whether it goes well largely depends on the participants. But just having the conversation...people of different backgrounds and points of view opening up a bit and talking...why is that a bad thing again?

Getting back to the original post...I'm not sure why it's a bad thing to simply encourage people to open a dialogue about race relations with one another. Whether it goes well largely depends on the participants. But just having the conversation...people of different backgrounds and points of view opening up a bit and talking...why is that a bad thing again?

It's fine if you are up for that. I'd say the vast majority of people just want to get their coffee and enjoy it in peace not have some pimply face kid try to get it going. If you go there with somebody and you want to discuss that among yourselves, great, have at it but I don't think it's the job of the company employees to be starting that with everyone. Even though I am conservative and believe in God and have my faith, I don't want to go to a coffee shop or any other place and get into a discussion about any aspect of that with the employees, even if they agree with my point of view. What I want out of the employee of any such place is to simply be polite, take my order, get it right and that's that.

One of the reasons I never go to starbucks is I never have 15 minutes to wait for a cup of coffee.... and that was without them talking at all.

I doubt it hurts business much, remember how all the kids in high school would hang out at certain places for no reason.... that place is starbucks for all college students and generally anyone in their 20's.... people won't care about waiting an additional 10-15 minutes for their coffee because most aren't even going there for the coffee.

Starbucks isn't gonna change anything by doing this. It's as futile as the @**hole who leaves the server a "how to get saved" pamphlet instead of a tip at Sunday lunch.

That's good but I'm tired of arguing with you. Let's not derail threads, you don't have to follow me from thread to thread. You don't intimidate me, you try to double team and argue but I've shown that won't work either. You expose yourself going back and forth with me, you could just not try to start arguments and if we do say something to one another it can be regarding a topic. But the trying to join in and say stuff when I'm talking to other people then eventually try to get me to break some rule them you go run to TT or whoever to tell on me isn't going to work....

http://www.huffingto..._n_1729968.html

One gay employee who works at Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta, Ga., and asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing his job, says he is getting it from both sides. On the one hand, there is the customer who came in and said he supported Dan Cathy and then "continues to say something truly homophobic, e.g. 'I'm so glad you don't support the queers, I can eat in peace,'" the employee, who is 23 and has worked for Chick-fil-A since he was 16, wrote in an email. On the other hand, he continued, "I was yelled at for being a god-loving, conservative, homophobic Christian while walking some food out to a guest in a mall dining room."

He disagrees with Cathy's views, but the reaction from the public has been just as hard to swallow.

"It seems like very few people have stopped to think about who actually works for Chick-fil-A and what those people's opinions are," he wrote. "They are putting us in a pot and coming to support us or hate us based on something they heard and assume we agree with."

Gabriel Aguiniga, a gay employee at a Chick-fil-A in Colorado, also said the hardest part hasn't been hearing Cathy's comments. Instead, "[it's] constantly having people come up to you and say, 'I support your company, because your company hates the gays,'" Aguiniga, 18, wrote in an email. "It really takes a toll on me."

Management is encouraging employees at the stores to remain neutral, no matter what customers say, according to multiple workers interviewed by The Huffington Post.

"Our managers have recommended just saying 'Thank you for your business' if a customer says they agree with Cathy’s comments, rather than agreeing or disagreeing with them," K, an openly gay Chick-fil-A employee in Louisiana, told HuffPost in an email.

But staying neutral can be difficult when it feels like the world is passing judgment on everyone associated with the company.

"Now, anyone that works there is stuck with a stigma of being homophobic, even when many of us are far from it," K said. One of her coworkers, who supports same-sex marriage, has had people say things like, “Don’t give me that hate sh*t,” and “I hope you choke on that chicken," while she was handing out samples.

But for K, the hardest part hasn't been the actions of customers and protesters, it's the money the company gives to anti-gay groups.

"At the end of the day part of our profits still go towards Dan Cathy, and subsequently, all the organizations he supports," she said. K is now actively searching for work elsewhere. Many of her coworkers, she said, are looking for new jobs, too.

The groups Chick-fil-A gives to include the Family Research Council and Exodus International, according to Equality Matters, an initiative associated with the progressive Watchdog group, Media Matters. The Family Research Council is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, :thumbsdown: while Exodus International is a Christian Ministry that has long endorsed ex-gay therapy, a controversial practice of "curing" gay people that mainstream mental health organizations have disavowed. (In recent months, the president of Exodus has tried to distance his group from the idea that gay people can be "cured.") :thumbsup:

Several of the gay and lesbian employees interviewed by The Huffington Post said that they liked their work, and had never witnessed incidents of homophobia or discrimination on the job. But Chick-fil-A restaurants are operated by independent owners, and employee experience can vary widely depending on the person running a particular chain.

Thanks for posting that DKW. I hadn't seen it. It really cuts to the truth of this controversy.

I actually hurt for those folks working there. Some of the folks are getting high fived by the knuckle draggers.

SAD.

One gay employee who works at Chick-fil-A headquarters in Atlanta, Ga., and asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing his job, says he is getting it from both sides. On the one hand, there is the customer who came in and said he supported Dan Cathy and then "continues to say something truly homophobic, e.g. 'I'm so glad you don't support the queers, I can eat in peace,'" the employee, who is 23 and has worked for Chick-fil-A since he was 16, wrote in an email. On the other hand, he continued, "I was yelled at for being a god-loving, conservative, homophobic Christian while walking some food out to a guest in a mall dining room."

He disagrees with Cathy's views, but the reaction from the public has been just as hard to swallow.

"It seems like very few people have stopped to think about who actually works for Chick-fil-A and what those people's opinions are," he wrote. "They are putting us in a pot and coming to support us or hate us based on something they heard and assume we agree with."

Gabriel Aguiniga, a gay employee at a Chick-fil-A in Colorado, also said the hardest part hasn't been hearing Cathy's comments. Instead, "[it's] constantly having people come up to you and say, 'I support your company, because your company hates the gays,'" Aguiniga, 18, wrote in an email. "It really takes a toll on me."

Management is encouraging employees at the stores to remain neutral, no matter what customers say, according to multiple workers interviewed by The Huffington Post.

"Our managers have recommended just saying 'Thank you for your business' if a customer says they agree with Cathy’s comments, rather than agreeing or disagreeing with them," K, an openly gay Chick-fil-A employee in Louisiana, told HuffPost in an email.

But staying neutral can be difficult when it feels like the world is passing judgment on everyone associated with the company.

"Now, anyone that works there is stuck with a stigma of being homophobic, even when many of us are far from it," K said. One of her coworkers, who supports same-sex marriage, has had people say things like, “Don’t give me that hate sh*t,” and “I hope you choke on that chicken," while she was handing out samples.

But for K, the hardest part hasn't been the actions of customers and protesters, it's the money the company gives to anti-gay groups.

"At the end of the day part of our profits still go towards Dan Cathy, and subsequently, all the organizations he supports," she said. K is now actively searching for work elsewhere. Many of her coworkers, she said, are looking for new jobs, too.

The groups Chick-fil-A gives to include the Family Research Council and Exodus International, according to Equality Matters, an initiative associated with the progressive Watchdog group, Media Matters. The Family Research Council is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, :thumbsdown:/> while Exodus International is a Christian Ministry that has long endorsed ex-gay therapy, a controversial practice of "curing" gay people that mainstream mental health organizations have disavowed. (In recent months, the president of Exodus has tried to distance his group from the idea that gay people can be "cured.") :thumbsup:/>

Several of the gay and lesbian employees interviewed by The Huffington Post said that they liked their work, and had never witnessed incidents of homophobia or discrimination on the job. But Chick-fil-A restaurants are operated by independent owners, and employee experience can vary widely depending on the person running a particular chain.

Thanks for posting that DKW. I hadn't seen it. It really cuts to the truth of this controversy.

I actually hurt for those folks working there. Some of the folks are getting high fived by the knuckle draggers.

SAD.

They don't have to work there though. And, I mean come on, if you apply for a job at Chick-Fil-A, you have to know they're an openly Christian organization. Therefore they're most likely against gay marriage. So it should come as no surprise when they're asked how they feel about gay marriage and they say that they're against it. Christians are just as entitled to be against gay marriage as gays are entitled to be for it.

"Our managers have recommended just saying 'Thank you for your business' if a customer says they agree with Cathy's comments, rather than agreeing or disagreeing with them," K, an openly gay Chick-fil-A employee in Louisiana, told HuffPost in an email.

"Now, anyone that works there is stuck with a stigma of being homophobic, even when many of us are far from it," K said. One of her coworkers, who supports same-sex marriage, has had people say things like, "Don't give me that hate sh*t," and "I hope you choke on that chicken," while she was handing out samples.

The groups Chick-fil-A gives to include the Family Research Council and Exodus International, according to Equality Matters, an initiative associated with the progressive Watchdog group, Media Matters. The Family Research Council is designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, :thumbsdown:/> while Exodus International is a Christian Ministry that has long endorsed ex-gay therapy, a controversial practice of "curing" gay people that mainstream mental health organizations have disavowed. (In recent months, the president of Exodus has tried to distance his group from the idea that gay people can be "cured.") :thumbsup:/>

SAD.

They don't have to work there though. And, I mean come on, if you apply for a job at Chick-Fil-A, you have to know they're an openly Christian organization. Therefore they're most likely against gay marriage. So it should come as no surprise when they're asked how they feel about gay marriage and they say that they're against it. Christians are just as entitled to be against gay marriage as gays are entitled to be for it.

Some gays are Christian themselves. And not all Christians oppose homosexuals or gay marriage.

This is about having to work in an environment that - intended or not - attracts homophobic customers. Sure, they don't have to work there. But who knows, but maybe some of them do.

Either way, DKW is right. It's sad.

I don't think it's sad honestly. At the end of the day, not everyone is going to agree with your lifestyle no matter what it may be. If I go work somewhere that's extremely leftist and anti-establishment at its roots as a prior service member (for example), I shouldn't be surprised if they speak out against the military. Not all extreme leftists and anti-establishment types are anti-military, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume that most are. At the end of the day, people just need to quit getting so offended when someone doesn't agree with some of their life choices. I'm not anti-gay by any means. I'm for gay marriage, but there is a problem with people in this country getting butthurt way too much.

Did you really mean that, or was it a Freudian Slip?

1) There are most certainly Gay Christians. http://www.gaychristian.net/

2) You do not have to be GAY to support Same Sex Marriage.

3) CFA likely has a good %age of Gay-Christian Employees. (Just talk to anyone in the cow suit next time you're at a CFA.) :big:

ar128759092595246.JPG

That shows a huge lack of understanding on your part. Yes, CFA is a very straight forward "Christian Company" and no one is saying that they do not have a right to their views. That doesnt preclude the adults in the room from having a few minutes of compassion as their employees are getting beatup from the Left and the Right. Some employees are being accused of hating Gays by being "congratulated " by those on the Right and at the same time accused of supporting judgmental "non-Christian" Gay hating by the Left. All you have to do to feel sorry for those employees is just have a heart.

I work for a company that provides a great living for me and my household. However, the company also provides insurance etc to "Significant Others," be they unmarried partners or even Gay partners/spouses. I get an earful from all the knuckle dragging mouth-breathers that havent darkened a church door way in a dog's age, or some pew sitters that also want to tell me what ole Brother Neanderthal said about the Book of Leviticus. Look, i do not want to get into a long winded conversation about this, but you really need to get out and open your HEART, MIND, AND EARS to what truly looking like Christ would mean to those in the real world.

justmain.jpg

3) CFA likely has a good %age of Gay-Christian Employees. (Just talk to anyone in the cow suit next time you're at a CFA.) :big:/>

ar128759092595246.JPG

That shows a huge lack of understanding on your part. Yes, CFA is a very straight forward "Christian Company" and no one is saying that they do not have a right to their views. That doesnt preclude the adults in the room from having a few minutes of compassion as their employees are getting beatup from the Left and the Right. Some employees are being accused of hating Gays by being "congratulated " by those on the Right and at the same time accused of supporting judgmental "non-Christian" Gay hating by the Left. All you have to do to feel sorry for those employees is just have a heart.

I work for a company that provides a great living for me and my household. However, the company also provides insurance etc to "Significant Others," be they unmarried partners or even Gay partners/spouses. I get an earful from all the knuckle dragging mouth-breathers that havent darkened a church door way in a dog's age, or some pew sitters that also want to tell me what ole Brother Neanderthal said about the Book of Leviticus. Look, i do not want to get into a long winded conversation about this, but you really need to get out and open your HEART, MIND, AND EARS to what truly looking like Christ would mean to those in the real world.

justmain.jpg

A couple things: The amount of mercy and sympathy I lack is astonishing. And I'm not really interested in biblical things, so I don't really care what Christ would mean to those in the real world. I think people need to harden the hell up and quit getting so butthurt when someone doesn't agree with their lifestyle. Not everyone agrees with me being in the military but I'm not out whining and crying in the streets over it.

3) CFA likely has a good %age of Gay-Christian Employees. (Just talk to anyone in the cow suit next time you're at a CFA.) :big:/>

ar128759092595246.JPG

justmain.jpg

DK I have compassion for people. I don't hate gay people. I know it was clearly condemned by God. There are certain things that are clearly wrong and we are instructed to speak out against those actions and to have people turn away from then and return to being in the right relationship with God and Christ. We are not to be hateful toward any individual but still sin is sin.I don't wish to get in a long winded discussion but let me say this. We were warned about false prophets and apostasy is not a new phenomenon. The things that some Christians will accept as being ok is astounding. Some even are ok with abortion.

ar128759092595246.JPG

justmain.jpg

DK I have compassion for people. I don't hate gay people. I know it was clearly condemned by God. There are certain things that are clearly wrong and we are instructed to speak out against those actions and to have people turn away from then and return to being in the right relationship with God and Christ. We are not to be hateful toward any individual but still sin is sin.I don't wish to get in a long winded discussion but let me say this. We were warned about false prophets and apostasy is not a new phenomenon. The things that some Christians will accept as being ok is astounding. Some even are ok with abortion.

Tell me about it, most Christians won't even kill someone they see working on a sunday, and when's the last time a woman was stoned to death for not being a virgin on her wedding night?

Also so many Christians today wear mixed cloth and shave their faces... crazy times we live in when Christians are OK with women speaking in church.

We not only allow women to drive cars, but they actually RACE them, professionally !

Its all about cherry picking the Word:

http://technoccult.net/archives/2009/10/23/why-is-this-anti-gay-leviticus-tattoo-extra-absurd/

Yesterday, Andrew Sullivan put up a post about an extremely brutal hate-crime attack on an openly gay man. The 2-minute news report he embeds is depressing, but there was something to laugh about at the end. The studio interviewed one of the attackers’ friends, who proudly displayed this tattoo.

It’s a tattoo reading “[Thou] shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination. Leviticus 18:22?. Who else sees the problem here?

Leviticus also forbids tattooing. In the very next chapter.

“Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28?

http://www.allaboutgod.com/what-are-the-seven-deadly-sins-faq.htm

What are the seven deadly sins?

Many people are asking, “What are the seven deadly sins?” The seven deadly sins viewed by society and literature are:

• Lust – to have an intense desire or need: “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:28).
  • Gluttony – excess in eating and drinking: “for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags” (Proverbs 23:21).
  • Greed - excessive or reprehensible acquisitiveness: “Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more” (Ephesians 4:19).
  • Laziness – disinclined to activity or exertion: not energetic or vigorous: “The way of the sluggard is blocked with thorns, but the path of the upright is a highway” (Proverbs 15:19).
  • Wrath – strong vengeful anger or indignation: “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1)
  • Envy – painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage: “Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” (1 Peter 2:1-2).
  • Pride - quality or state of being proud – inordinate self esteem: “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18).

- See more at: http://www.allaboutgod.com/what-are-the-seven-deadly-sins-faq.htm#sthash.hiEckSwc.dpuf

Folks, gluttony is a sin too. All sin makes you come up short of the glory of God. People who mangle scripture so as to describe any hierarchies of sin, (ie one sin is worse than another) do not understand the Word of God.

I don't think it's sad honestly. At the end of the day, not everyone is going to agree with your lifestyle no matter what it may be. If I go work somewhere that's extremely leftist and anti-establishment at its roots as a prior service member (for example), I shouldn't be surprised if they speak out against the military. Not all extreme leftists and anti-establishment types are anti-military, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume that most are. At the end of the day, people just need to quit getting so offended when someone doesn't agree with some of their life choices. I'm not anti-gay by any means. I'm for gay marriage, but there is a problem with people in this country getting butthurt way too much.

I'd be interesting in hearing about all these leftist, anti-military, anti-establishment groups. Where are you going to find such groups?

3) CFA likely has a good %age of Gay-Christian Employees. (Just talk to anyone in the cow suit next time you're at a CFA.) :big:

LOL! I almost spit my coffee out. :laugh:

But, hey, its a job. :dunno:

Yeah, for these unfortunate few, having a CFA shirt on is like a "kick-me" sign. ;D

There in a single post are three of the things that bother me about the Abrahamic religions:

1. They claim to know the mind of God

2. They judge others

3. They are rigid in their beliefs

There in a single post are three of the things that bother me about the Abrahamic religions:

1. They claim to know the mind of God

2. They judge others

3. They are rigid in their beliefs

And what do all of your objections have in common? The law. That I agree with you on.

Archived