Softball vs. lsu game 2

Would also be a crime if Myers is not coach of the year.

This should be an easy choice for the voters. WDE Coach Myers!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my take on the substitution issue in the 6th inning.

Davis started the game so her re-entering was not the issue. The issue was that Myers apparently tried to do a double switch by moving Walters to DP or "Flex Player", in place of Shea, meaning Walters was still in the lineup as a hitter when Davis was re-entered. He did this so that she could return to the circle later when the string of lefties were up to bat. I am not clear on the rule but apparently in this situation, the sub must take a turn at bat in the order before she can be moved to another position. Because Walters was allowed to return to the circle after she batted in the 7th. Does anybody else have a better explanation?

This is my take on the substitution issue in the 6th inning.

Davis started the game so her re-entering was not the issue. The issue was that Myers apparently tried to do a double switch by moving Walters to DP or "Flex Player", in place of Shea, meaning Walters was still in the lineup as a hitter when Davis was re-entered. He did this so that she could return to the circle later when the string of lefties were up to bat. I am not clear on the rule but apparently in this situation, the sub must take a turn at bat in the order before she can be moved to another position. Because Walters was allowed to return to the circle after she batted in the 7th. Does anybody else have a better explanation?

I think you are probably on top of it there. I don't think the discussion at all was about the move it was likely a double switch like you mentioned that caused the confusion. Obviously the umpires didn't know and likely spent some time after the game last night following up on it so they'll know in the future. The rule on re-entry doesn't say anything about the replacement flex player having a turn at bat but it does say the flex player and the starting player can't be in the lineup at the same time. Here's the rule on re-entry:

8.6 Re-entry

Any of the starting players, including a designated player and the flex, may

be withdrawn and re-entered once, providing players occupy the same batting

positions whenever in the order. The starting player and her substitute(s) may

not be in the lineup at the same time. A substitute who is withdrawn may not

re-enter.

Archived