AU exploring new Football only complex

RunInRed

snapback.pnghutchids, on 5/30/15- 09:41 AM, said:

the real economy still sucks. even with low rates, most people, even with decent jobs that I know can't afford anything major. Rates will stay low for a while.

===============================================================================

Thanks for that detailed analysis. That's certainly worth a $375,000/year bet. :rolleyes:

snapback.pngIronMan70, on 27 May 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

@ Clayton, If they're smart the money is coming from a bond issue, borrowed at the lowest interest rates in 50 years, before interest rates begin to rise. The revenue share from the SEC network alone can meet much of the yearly obligation on the bond issue.

-----------------------------------

snapback.pngautig90, on 27 May 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Great point.

-----------------------------------

snapback.pngWar to the Tiger, on 27 May 2015- 11:09 PM, said:

Interest rates aren't going anywhere significant anytime soon. If they increase in the coming months/years, it'll be slight.

=========================================================================================

We are at the end of the cycle now. Anytime between the Sept to December Fed. meetings, the Fed can begin the rate increase phase. That will end the policy of artificially low interest rates, in this case a zero rate. There is already some pressure on 30 year mortgage rates and 10 yr. notes (off of sub 2% yields) in anticipation. Once the market place is allowed to function on its own, nobody really knows how fast the yield curve will rise after that, because we have never come off of zero interest rates before.

As with any economic discussion, the time frame is an important parameter. In a $150,000,000 project, the interval can be anywhere between 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. You can take your pick for Auburn. But we can be fairly certain that the cost of borrowing now will be less than it will be as we go out the timeline. Just a 1/4 % increase in the interest rate on a $150 million bond issue equates to $375,000 per year in additional borrowing costs. That is not an insignificant amount.

All this is to say that, if an institution is going to borrow, the odds are in its favor to do it now rather than later.

Very impressive details, thanks for the info!

I have consistently posted that AU is a football factory in terms of athletics and have been bashed by some on this board. How can it be disputed that we are a football factory (along with all of those schools we claim to be "not like" (spuat, uga, uf, lsu, osu, usce, uscw, who ever has beat us on the field, etc)?

wde

Old like me

How's the golf only complex coming along?

We have an excellent complex.....thanks for asking

The Auburn University Club provides a championship golf course and first-class practice facilities. Located just minutes from the Auburn University campus, the AU Club is the official home of the Auburn Tiger golf teams. Located in what Golf Digest ranked No. 1 "Best Golf City in America" (Auburn-Opelika, 2005), Auburn University Club at Yarbrough Farms features a 12,000 square foot clubhouse, pool and tennis facilities.

The 18-hole, 7326 yard championship golf course is situated on 225 acres of beautiful rolling hills and woodlands. Designed by Bill Bergin in 1999, the course surrounds the 25-acre Yarbrough Lake and is partly bordered by Saugahatchee Creek. It has a course rating of 75.3 with a slope rating of 138 on Bermuda grass.

It offers a 22-acre practice facility featuring a range of nearly 400 yards. Tees are located at both ends to allow players to train in a variety of wind conditions. The new 8,300 square-foot Jack Key Golf Teaching Facility at the North end of the range features three indoor hitting bays, lounge and locker rooms, club repair and video analysis. It also offers a unique situation practice area, so shots may be recreated and played onto actual greens from every conceivable lie.

The Auburn golf teams also have privileges at the Grand National Lake Course, Grand National Links Course, Farm Links, Auburn Links, Moore's Mill Golf Club, Indian Pines and Saugahatchee Country Club.

Old like me

what's "old" got to do with anything ? ...if it does the job why build something new just to have something new? Only justification I have seen is "keeping up with the Jones" ....or something to that effect.

Athletic Dept is run like the Federal Government....a steady source of income that has to be spent somewhere....so people are constantly trying to find things to spend the money on....brick fascia on the stadium for example.. to make it look good...what a waste.....JMO

It's a 5 year plan by that time the complex will be over 30 years old. It has served it purpose but is very outdated by today's standards in the Power Big 5. And yes some of it has to do with staying up with the Jones but not all of it. We'll just have to disagree on this one 64.

It's a 5 year plan by that time the complex will be over 30 years old. It has served it purpose but is very outdated by today's standards in the Power Big 5. And yes some of it has to do with staying up with the Jones but not all of it. We'll just have to disagree on this one 64.

I hear ya...but when is the last time we tore down a 30 year old academic building because it was outdated by today's standards?

I mean, Biggin Hall has been outdated by anybody's standard since I was in school....but it still just sits there..looking like something borrowed from post-WWII Germany....an uninviting welcome to the AU campus.

Like I said we'll just have to disagree on this one. I understand using the example you did but it completely different when your primary recruiting areas are Al, Ga, Fl, and Ms, with La. and Tn mixed in, all of which are doing whatever they can to upgrade, and the first thing usually a recruit sees will be the football complex meeting the coaches.

Sorry to say now a days bling is the word with most recruits.

Like I said we'll just have to disagree on this one. I understand using the example you did but it completely different when your primary recruiting areas are Al, Ga, Fl, and Ms, with La. and Tn mixed in, all of which are doing whatever they can to upgrade, and the first thing usually a recruit sees will be the football complex meeting the coaches.

Sorry to say now a days bling is the word with most recruits.

I have 17 year old grand kids so I understand bling. But one of the first things new prospects they see is Biggin Hall when the come to the beautiful new entrance to the campus...sooooooo ..maybe the athletic program could use some of their riches to replace that building with something nice....something that would cause athletic prospects to say....."wow"...that's what a university Art Building should look like. :) These folks have their priorities in order.....this is where I want to go to school.....

Just tear down that flat roofed ancient Biggin Hall and put some trees there. Problem solved. Then there is plenty of land on the other side of the campus to put up all the buildings you want.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't LBS but if you don't think we're at a big-time recruiting disadvantage against our peers, just watch this video ...

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080113aao.html

or check this out ...

http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209603262

or this ...

I wish we could have about 2500-3000 additional seats for JHS to get us over the 90,000 threshold. This would put us in the top 10 largest stadiums in the country.

I wish we could have about 2500-3000 additional seats for JHS to get us over the 90,000 threshold. This would put us in the top 10 largest stadiums in the country.

Oh my, you are in trouble now.

And all of this money is coming from where...?

All of the out of state students say hello.

Good,point. I was one too. Quite a while ago though.

This isn't LBS but if you don't think we're at a big-time recruiting disadvantage against our peers, just watch this video ...

http://www.rolltide..../080113aao.html

or check this out ...

http://www.12thman.c...TCLID=209603262

or this ...

Those are some nice digs, all three are VERY nice.

http://tamu.247sport...otball-37790331

"These are college football's monuments, meant to honor the past, shelter the current players and knock the socks off the future prospects."

Going up against the likes of these guys forces other programs open the wallet - the longer we wait to get in the "arms race" the further behind we get. JMHO.

Can you imagine a recruit walking through any of the 3 above and then walking through the Athletics Complex in Auburn? Call it whatever you want but that's the challenge we're up against ...

Can you imagine a recruit walking through any of the 3 above and then walking through the Athletics Complex in Auburn? Call it whatever you want but that's the challenge we're up against ...

Completely agree.......

Old like me

How's the golf only complex coming along?

We have an excellent complex.....thanks for asking

The Auburn University Club provides a championship golf course and first-class practice facilities. Located just minutes from the Auburn University campus, the AU Club is the official home of the Auburn Tiger golf teams. Located in what Golf Digest ranked No. 1 "Best Golf City in America" (Auburn-Opelika, 2005), Auburn University Club at Yarbrough Farms features a 12,000 square foot clubhouse, pool and tennis facilities.

The 18-hole, 7326 yard championship golf course is situated on 225 acres of beautiful rolling hills and woodlands. Designed by Bill Bergin in 1999, the course surrounds the 25-acre Yarbrough Lake and is partly bordered by Saugahatchee Creek. It has a course rating of 75.3 with a slope rating of 138 on Bermuda grass.

It offers a 22-acre practice facility featuring a range of nearly 400 yards. Tees are located at both ends to allow players to train in a variety of wind conditions. The new 8,300 square-foot Jack Key Golf Teaching Facility at the North end of the range features three indoor hitting bays, lounge and locker rooms, club repair and video analysis. It also offers a unique situation practice area, so shots may be recreated and played onto actual greens from every conceivable lie.

The Auburn golf teams also have privileges at the Grand National Lake Course, Grand National Links Course, Farm Links, Auburn Links, Moore's Mill Golf Club, Indian Pines and Saugahatchee Country Club.

Now that is impressive!!! I had no idea we had such a state of the art facility for golf! WELL DONE!!

How long has AU been in the "planning process?" Now AU finds itself back at the drawing board resulting in further delays of upto 12-24 months. Reminds me if the indoor practice facility the AD promised Tubbs for years that never materialized while he was in residence. As an outsider, albeit a season ticket holder and AU alumni it feels like delay tactics from our AD to me.

Archived