Ole Miss OL, Laremy Tunsil, arrested for punching step father.

Maverick.AU

I'm with 'Stache and Barnacle. 'Stache offers a very practical possible explanation and Barnacle makes a good case- that I was already inclined to agree with- that it's better not to speculate in the first place.

Also, there's a presumption that most elite football players come from families who can't afford nice things. I won't fixate on why that presumption exists, but every once in awhile a kid drives a Dodge Charger because, between him and his parents, he can afford to buy or lease a Dodge Charger. Or maybe they can afford to move to Oxford, MS. Or, if the aforementioned presumption is correct, then maybe there wasn't some lucrative job anchoring them to Lake City.

Buuuuuuut the imagination will always come up with something more fun and interesting to explain the easily explainable. There are always heroes and villains, and our guys are never the villains.

This is a good post.

But would we be willing to give the benefit of the doubt if the exact same circumstances occured at another SEC program? Les Miles/Mark Richt/Nick Saban/Hugh Freeze/Butch Jones are all great recruiters, are folks on this board willing to admit that they are beyond reproach if a highly ranked recruit's family picks up and moves the family to the college their kids attend so that they can secure their potential "multi-million" dollar kids future?

I guess I've just been brainwashed into letting my wild imagination get the best of me - after all these years of crucifying our biggest rivals and their recruiting practices. :dunno:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a fair question, keesler. My response is, "I think about Auburn." I truly don't worry about the recruiting practices at other schools. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can't really do much about Auburn's recruiting, either, but I am invested in it emotionally. So here I am.

Btw, I didn't think your initial inquiry or subsequent posts were of bounds according to how conversations tend to go among all fervent college fanbases. But I do agree with the responses that I mentioned.

It's a fair question, keesler. My response is, "I think about Auburn." I truly don't worry about the recruiting practices at other schools. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can't really do much about Auburn's recruiting, either, but I am invested in it emotionally. So here I am.

Btw, I didn't think your initial inquiry or subsequent posts were of bounds according to how conversations tend to go among all fervent college fanbases. But I do agree with the responses that I mentioned.

Far enough.

AU happens to be in the best conference in the country which also happens to have the very best recruiters in the nation.......And I LOVE it!

Far enough.

AU happens to be in the best conference in the country which also happens to have the very best recruiters in the nation.......And I LOVE it!

Amen. Even if you're cheating, you have to be pretty good at it to get to the top of this heap :)

I'm calling :bs: on the stepdad. Not that kids don't do dumb stuff. But this comes off more like an attempt at revenge for decking him. Like he sat there and thought "how can I really hurt him?"

... And what the hell does "him being with agents" have to do with him protecting his mom from possible violence. I agree TT - sounds like BS

If that was stated ... Why would the police care

Oh yea, unless I'm wrong there isn't any ncaa violations for being with or talking to an agent. Maybe the Fam is there to help with things like select an agent to hire after the season is over. That's only 6 months away. Select an agent during the summer so they can to work for you the day after the season ends.

See ... Lots of possibilities!

Far enough.

Amen. Even if you're cheating, you have to be pretty good at it to get to the top of this heap :)

Indeed.

It just all seems a little fishy to me that Tunsil's younger brother Alex Weber was offered a scholarship three years ago along with Laremy....Ends up the little brother turned out to be nothing more than a 1* that probably couldn't make it on a DIII roster, finished his senior year of high school with 10 catches for 201 yards. What buisness does he have on an SEC roster?

And should we mention Tunsil's girlfriend "Precious" getting an Ole Miss track scholly?

Like I said in a earlier post, Tunsil's recruitment raised a lot of eyebrows and now we have a stepdad throwing "agents" around to the police.

See.....Lots of possibilities!

Reading that Ledger report sounds like the step father didn't hit the mother but both were cussing at each other. Also, a co-worker stated that he read online somewhere that the mother was offered a job right after Tunsil signed at a local hospital that she didn't apply for. I will ask him for a link tomorrow. So Tunsil was riding with an agent and it seems that upset the Stepdad? things that make you go hmmm...

Reading that Ledger report sounds like the step father didn't hit the mother but both were cussing at each other. Also, a co-worker stated that he read online somewhere that the mother was offered a job right after Tunsil signed at a local hospital that she didn't apply for. I will ask him for a link tomorrow. So Tunsil was riding with an agent and it seems that upset the Stepdad? things that make you go hmmm...

There are a lot of things that make you go hmmmm regarding Tunsil's recruiment. Girlfriend gets an Ole Miss scholly - little brother (1 star WR) gets a scholly which is laughable in the SEC these days - mom gets hospital job without interviewing - whole family packs up and moves to Oxford - and now step dad has the nerve to tell police that Laremy was riding around with agents? :dead:

Far enough.

Indeed.

It just all seems a little fishy to me that Tunsil's younger brother Alex Weber was offered a scholarship three years ago along with Laremy....Ends up the little brother turned out to be nothing more than a 1* that probably couldn't make it on a DIII roster, finished his senior year of high school with 10 catches for 201 yards. What buisness does he have on an SEC roster?

And should we mention Tunsil's girlfriend "Precious" getting an Ole Miss track scholly?

Like I said in a earlier post, Tunsil's recruitment raised a lot of eyebrows and now we have a stepdad throwing "agents" around to the police.

Well, those are all sketchy possibilities, but none of them would be against the rules, I don't think. Also, if both of her kids (and possibly a de facto daughter-in-law) are in Oxford, then it makes even more sense for her to follow them them there.

Statement from Freeze: "We are aware that Laremy & his family have met with potential agents, which is within his NCAA rights..."

Far enough.

Indeed.

I don't see anything wrong with them offering a scholarship to his brother, honestly. I hadn't heard about his girlfriend, has that actually been verified? There is no one with that name on the track team.

Ditto ...

I think recruiting has sone times gotten nauseating but brothers/girlfriend scholly and jobs for mom are not technically against the rules ... I personally think it is wrong and don't condone it.

I'm not necessarily disageeing with Kessler but just throwing out some less nefarious possibilities.

Of course in other sports that give partial athletic schollys ... Is it "wrong" for a kid to be given academic help packaged with the athletic they may not otherwise be aware of (although all are eligible)

Yeah, I guess It just bothers me when we (and I will include myself) start sounding like dance moms gossiping about their daughters. I mean, if something comes out that officially reported any wrongdoing I would be the first to say something about it, otherwise all we're doing is regurgitating message board rumors.

Yeah, I guess It just bothers me when we (and I will include myself) start sounding like dance moms gossiping about their daughters. I mean, if something comes out that officially reported any wrongdoing I would be the first to say something about it, otherwise all we're doing is regurgitating message board rumors.

this^^^ and we as auburn fans should learn to take those with an ax to grind with caution. stepdad may be grinding.

Statement from Freeze: "We are aware that Laremy & his family have met with potential agents, which is within his NCAA rights..."

So glad Freeze cleared this agent stuff up for us.

Listen - I'm just being an ass to point out all of the possible fishy stuff that is involved with Laremy Tunsil at OleMiss.

I know if this was UGA/Richt, or UAT/Saban, or LSU/Miles those players/coaches/programs wouldn't get the nice treatment by our fans that OM/Freeze are getting today.

Listen - I'm just being an ass to point out all of the possible fishy stuff that is involved with Laremy Tunsil at OleMiss.

I know if this was UGA/Richt, or UAT/Saban, or LSU/Miles those players/coaches/programs wouldn't get the nice treatment by our fans that OM/Freeze are getting today.

I get where you are coming from.

And, full disclosure, Ole Miss grad here, hence my kind treatment. I'm 100% biased. ;)

I get where you are coming from.

And, full disclosure, Ole Miss grad here, hence my kind treatment. I'm 100% biased. ;)

Understood.

IMO, Freeze knows he's in the clear by making this statement. Otherwise we'd get a response like, "we are handling this interanally," etc.

I don't have any love for Ole Miss. I just found the accusation convenient after his loser stepfather got flattened for shoving the kid's mom.

He can ride around with a van of 20 agents if he wants as long as he doesn't accept any advances, gifts, money, or things of the sort, right? That was my impression anyways.

He can ride around with a van of 20 agents if he wants as long as he doesn't accept any advances, gifts, money, or things of the sort, right? That was my impression anyways.

Of course depending on the circumstances, the ride itself might be an improper benefit. Hanging out with a kid, riding around with him in the neighborhood, and dropping him off back home could be seen one way, getting him to a concert, sports event, or party that he couldn't otherwise attend due to lack of transportation might be viewed somewhat different

I don't know anything about this particular incident other than what I've just read here, so I'm not commenting on it specifically.

I may not have made myself clear...I wasn't speaking about the young man but the stepfather...there is no need to let a situation escalate to the point of violence. Walk away and cool down... I don't blame the young man for sticking up for his mother. I think that it is a good thing and he shouldn't be punished for it. I am stating that in a domestic situation, there is no need to rise to the level of violence. If your homelife is that bad maybe you don't need to be married anymore....

I agree but would go further: I can't think of any non-violent situation where there's a need to rise to the level of violence, domestic or otherwise. Rational people don't do that.

But I also realize that, unfortunately, rationality is often in short supply once anger erupts and words get heated. That doesn't make the violence justified, just proves that emotion and anger often overpower reason.

Archived