Ole Miss OL, Laremy Tunsil, arrested for punching step father.

Maverick.AU

know I'm biased but just from the testimony in court, I think it's pretty clear what's going on. Laremy doesn't want his step dad involved in the process, and his step dad isn't happy about it. There's nothing wrong with going to dinner with a prospective agent. Who is anyone here to question whether or not he was going to pay his way?

Don't you know? All good football players are poor because all good football players are... well, just what is it that so many of these guys have in common that makes folks assume that their mother can't afford to move to Oxford or that they can't buy a meal? Hmm.

Ike Stepdaddy only needed to play it cool for another couple seasons and then it was gonna be payday. He really is a moron.

He really only had to wait about 10 months or so lol because many mocks had him going #1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

know I'm biased but just from the testimony in court, I think it's pretty clear what's going on. Laremy doesn't want his step dad involved in the process, and his step dad isn't happy about it. There's nothing wrong with going to dinner with a prospective agent. Who is anyone here to question whether or not he was going to pay his way?

Don't you know? All good football players are poor because all good football players are... well, just what is it that so many of these guys have in common that makes folks assume that their mother can't afford to move to Oxford or that they can't buy a meal? Hmm.

Ike Stepdaddy only needed to play it cool for another couple seasons and then it was gonna be payday. He really is a moron.

He really only had to wait about 10 months or so lol because many mocks had him going #1

Ah, thanks for the correction. Man, how time flies. Well, hopefully the Tunsil family and we agree that the sooner he's in the NFL, the better :)

AU64, I have to at least add that it's pretty routine for current players to have meals and meetings with agents, and they pay their own way. My firm has a sports agency group, and we meet with players routinely. As with most agents, we're above board. We alert the athletic department about our meetings/meals ahead of time, and we've had meetings with every AD from a school where anyone in the practice group attended (including Ross Bjork at Ole Miss and Jay Jacobs). I know people want to pretend like all agents are terrible and all athletes are on the take. It's just not true.

Unless something wildly different than anything I've heard comes to light, Tunsil isn't going to miss a snap based on anything his step-dad says. The kid was meeting with an agent during the off-season prior to his last season at Ole Miss. He'd be foolish not to do that. Once he finishes the season, he will almost immediately move to a training facility to begin Combine preparations, and he'll choose an agent before he does that. Get the meetings in now and have an idea of who you want to sign with when the season ends. For a guy of his profile, there's no need to waste time doing interviews after the season and no need to pretend like he's coming back after this season.

AU64, I have to at least add that it's pretty routine for current players to have meals and meetings with agents, and they pay their own way. My firm has a sports agency group, and we meet with players routinely. As with most agents, we're above board. We alert the athletic department about our meetings/meals ahead of time, and we've had meetings with every AD from a school where anyone in the practice group attended (including Ross Bjork at Ole Miss and Jay Jacobs). I know people want to pretend like all agents are terrible and all athletes are on the take. It's just not true.

Unless something wildly different than anything I've heard comes to light, Tunsil isn't going to miss a snap based on anything his step-dad says. The kid was meeting with an agent during the off-season prior to his last season at Ole Miss. He'd be foolish not to do that. Once he finishes the season, he will almost immediately move to a training facility to begin Combine preparations, and he'll choose an agent before he does that. Get the meetings in now and have an idea of who you want to sign with when the season ends. For a guy of his profile, there's no need to waste time doing interviews after the season and no need to pretend like he's coming back after this season.

I appreciate your comment about your business...give me some understanding about your point of view on things.

As for the particular situation, just let me say that I question all of the these "interview" relationships ....kids in the teens mostly, with no business or worldly experience interviewing or negotiating with agents/lawyers or spotters without the aid of a parent or guardian or a somewhat knowledgeable person to help sort through the hype and promises that are used to influence impressionable kids.

JMO but the school or NCAA should require every "agent' to register with the player's athletic department... every time...before having dinner or anything else that constitutes an interview....and the school should have a representative available during those "interviews" and the interviews should take place on campus.

It's nothing personal, just that I get frustrated with all the BS....all the people claiming to only be interested in the welfare of the player.... and the money stuff....HS juniors and seniors from the 'hood making unofficial visits to distant universities on a regular basis. And kids who don't have enough money for college like a regular student ...and thus, need supplements...but driving around in new Chargers....or living in Taj Mahal student housing or finding enough money for a body full of tats or being able to go to dinner with a prospective agent and pay his own way.

JMO but mostly I think it's a dirty business and yes, there are a reasonable number of honest folks involved who truly have the kid's interest at heart....but the general lack of regulation makes everyone look bad. Make the process more public and have the schools control it... that would be a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I wouldn't say that any agent "has the kid's interest at heart". It's a mutually beneficial relationship. Agents get money if the player gets money. They protect players and potential clients in order to protect their own name and grow their prospect list. I think most business people are self-interested, and because of that, I think most agents are clean. Most can't afford having their name dragged through the mud so they won't risk it.

I don't think schools should have "control" of the process because they also don't have the kid's interest in mind. They need players to win games. What happens if the school knows an agent is going to pitch a borderline player on going pro while the coaches are pitching him on coming back. Do we really trust the athletic department to be disinterested and just set the meeting up? I don't.

It's nothing personal, just that I get frustrated with all the BS....all the people claiming to only be interested in the welfare of the player.... and the money stuff....HS juniors and seniors from the 'hood making unofficial visits to distant universities on a regular basis. And kids who don't have enough money for college like a regular student ...and thus, need supplements...but driving around in new Chargers....or living in Taj Mahal student housing or finding enough money for a body full of tats or being able to go to dinner with a prospective agent and pay his own way.

How do you know Tunsil- or any other player- is "from the 'hood"? Which 'hood are we talking about? What is the median income in that 'hood? And why specifically is he unable to buy himself a meal? Where did they go to dinner and how much did the meal cost?

How do you know Tunsil- or any other player- is "from the 'hood"? Which 'hood are we talking about? What is the median income in that 'hood? And why specifically is he unable to buy himself a meal? Where did they go to dinner and how much did the meal cost?

I was generalizing about the process....which I think is somewhat corrupt....JMO if you are OK with it...fine...

As for the kid's best "interest".....there are most certainly people at Auburn or other schools who don't have a personal stake in the decisions these guys make who could give advice.

I could be wrong but I think the coaches have far more personal concern about the interests of their players than some agent trying to sign the guy to a contract that will net the agent 10 or 15% or whatever. Just how I see it :dunno:

I was generalizing about the process....which I think is somewhat corrupt....JMO if you are OK with it...fine...

As for the kid's best "interest".....there are most certainly people at Auburn or other schools who don't have a personal stake in the decisions these guys make who could give advice.

I could be wrong but I think the coaches have far more personal concern about the interests of their players than some agent trying to sign the guy to a contract that will net the agent 10 or 15% or whatever. Just how I see it :dunno:/>

That's not what his question was about. I agree that the process probably needs reform. I thought you made some good points about the process have oversight that protects the players' interests. Although, if you read the court testimony, Tunsil was bringing his mother to dinner, he wasn't going by himself. That's when the step-dad got upset for not also being invited.

But earlier you made a post to the effect that it's questionable that he was out to dinner with an agent, and you asked if he (Tunsil) would pay his own way.

I think Loof is trying to point out the obscurity of that question. If he can pay for dinner on Monday night, I'm sure he can pay for it on Tuesday night too.

I could be wrong but I think the coaches have far more personal concern about the interests of their players than some agent trying to sign the guy to a contract that will net the agent 10 or 15% or whatever. Just how I see it :dunno:/>

That's not what his question was about. I agree that the process probably needs reform. I thought you made some good points about the process have oversight that protects the players' interests. Although, if you read the court testimony, Tunsil was bringing his mother to dinner, he wasn't going by himself. That's when the step-dad got upset for not also being invited.

But earlier you made a post to the effect that it's questionable that he was out to dinner with an agent, and you asked if he (Tunsil) would pay his own way.

I think Loof is trying to point out the obscurity of that question. If he can pay for dinner on Monday night, I'm sure he can pay for it on Tuesday night too.

Yeah, AU64, you didn't address my question at all. You were generalizing, alright, but it was only somewhat "about the process". Of course that part is highly imperfect. I was more interested in how you were generalizing about the players. But I'll let it go, as I don't expect I'll be getting an answer.

Archived