CFP 4 vs 8

KerryThachWDE

Recently the Baylor AD spoke out about expanding to an 8 team playoff. It has brought up a lot of talk on the radio weather a 4 team or and 8 team playoff is better. I was wondering what you guys thought about the topic?

I personally like it the way it is. with 4 teams leaving 1 conference left out. this concept forces teams to schedule better because who you play matters. I've never watched so many games outside of the SEC until this last season. you're focused on other teams because it effects your team. with 8 teams, you'll have 5 conference champions and 3 at large teams. why schedule a hard out of conference game when you know you can get in by winning your conference? you wont care about the Ohio State game, or the Oregon game, or Baylor game.

sorry If theres already a thread on this.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 8 is is where we end up. The NFL shows that a team can get hot at the right time and make a run. I'd like to see 8.

Should be eight teams now, but the Little 10 and PAC 10 are afraid of a final 3 out of 4 SEC, then an all SEC championship.

I personally wish they would go to 8 with 5 conference champs, 3 at large with one having to come from a non major conference. That way there is a set criteria for getting in. Everyone has a legitimate shot. Have a committee to seed the teams and select the 3 at large teams. First round games are played at home. Then take on the same rotating bowl game format that is in place now. Conference champions fighting it out to see who is superior.

You would basically see the playoffs begin the conference championship week. TV revenue would be off the charts.

To me there is still going to be too much speculation if it is left at four. TCU and Baylor where just as deserving as anyone to get into the playoffs last year.

I don't like the idea of getting in just because you won your conference. think Wisc a couple of years back. they won the big10 with 3 or 4 loses because of OSU was on probation. I think "the 4 best teams" route is the best way to go.

or what if there's an upset at one of the championship games and a 2 or 3 loss team is playing for the NC.

I don't like the idea of getting in just because you won your conference. think Wisc a couple of years back. they won the big10 with 3 or 4 loses because of OSU was on probation. I think "the 4 best teams" route is the best way to go.

or what if there's an upset at one of the championship games and a 2 or 3 loss team is playing for the NC.

Yep. We've had some garbage ACC champs along the way, too.

I agree with the 8 team model, 5 conf champs, and 3 at large with 1 being the best non power 5 team . Under the current system the smaller teams have no way to really grow their program. I mean isn't the whole reason we play the game to win championships, grow the program, and to expand the recruiting base? I just think the 8 team playoff gives smaller schools something to hope for, as well as the other factors people have mentioned

Honestly, I'd like a 6-seed playoff.

"6 seed? That doesn't work, this guy's insane!"

My dream scenario:

6 seeds. Conference champion for each P5 conference (meaning the Big 12 would have to create divisions and have a conference championship game), and the highest ranked G5 team. Note that I didn't say anything about independents - Notre Dame would not be eligible for the CFP until they joined a conference.

The #1 and #2 seeds get a bye the first week. Meanwhile, its #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 in a winner goes home quarter final game.

#1 seed plays the winner of #4/#5, #2 plays winner of #3/#6. Winners of these semifinal games go on to the final. Whoever wins that game is the National Champion.

As a fan of college football, the season's already too short - the more quality games I can watch on the better. :hellyeah:Same as my response to the "there are too many bowl games" crowd. Nothing's watered down, the high stake games still stand apart.

I second that notion. I don't want an NFL South situation nor do i wish CFB to take on a college basketball look with everybody gets in. I like it at 4 but could see it increasing to 8. Anything above 8 i don't like.

I agree with Kerry in that if the major conferences are given automatic spots it will affect the OOC scheduling. I like the fact that teams are adding better out of conference games especially for the weak conferences. We debate all the time if teams like Ohio St or FSU had to play in the SEC they'd likely wouldn't be as dominant. No way i'd schedule any hard games OOC if i could just cake walk through the in conference schedule. Ohio St. might as well buy their tickets now to the playoffs this year.

Honestly, I'd like a 6-seed playoff.

"6 seed? That doesn't work, this guy's insane!"

My dream scenario:

6 seeds. Conference champion for each P5 conference (meaning the Big 12 would have to create divisions and have a conference championship game), and the highest ranked G5 team. Note that I didn't say anything about independents - Notre Dame would not be eligible for the CFP until they joined a conference.

The #1 and #2 seeds get a bye the first week. Meanwhile, its #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 in a winner goes home quarter final game.

#1 seed plays the winner of #4/#5, #2 plays winner of #3/#6. Winners of these semifinal games go on to the final. Whoever wins that game is the National Champion.

I respect ND's tradition but it's past time for them to join a dang conference. The committee was willing to punish Baylor and TCU because the Big12 didn't have a conference championship but i guarantee if ND had ran the table after the FSU loss the committee wouldn't have hesitated to put them in the playoffs with one loss being to FSU.

I thought about the bye idea for 6 teams as well. I'd rather go to that versus having 8 teams.

I think that the group of 5 schools should be allowed to have their own NC game. itll give them something to play for. give them our same format so they'll still play quality teams. it makes for good teams scheduling eachother to try and get into the playoff.

If they go to an 8 or 16 team playoff, they are going to have to consider dropping a game during the season. These are no pro athletes. How many games can these kids handle before injuries become even more prevalent? We are talking about adding seriously intense games at the end of the season.

If they go to an 8 or 16 team playoff, they are going to have to consider dropping a game during the season. These are no pro athletes. How many games can these kids handle before injuries become even more prevalent? We are talking about adding seriously intense games at the end of the season.

Agree. If they increase games...they better start paying these kids.

Agreed. Not just injuries, either. Some of these guys actually take school seriously.

Funny how the ADs also agreed, until they realized how much more money they can make with more games.

I agree that 4 teams seems pretty ideal, and I don't see any reason why a non-major conference team couldn't make a 4-team CFP. Boise St almost did it in the 2-team BCS era -- in fact they would have done it if they had taken care of business on the field, because the pollsters voted them in a position to succeed.

You want to leave people wanting more, and the current model does that. The entire season felt like a playoff last year. There is just enough forgiveness in the 4-team model to keep a one-loss team in the race, meaning there were heaps of legit contenders, but it is exclusive enough that a team cannot slack at any point and hope to have a shot. It worked much better than I expected it to.

So? They would have still earned it by winning their conference in a 8 seed scenario. That's why you have at large spots. With no set criteria it's still all based in opinion. If the current format wasn't in place fsu and uat would have played for a MNC last year.

The reason you have a NC game is to determine who the best team is. having teams with 3 losses play for championships defeats that purpose. are you really the best team in the country with 3 losses?

So? They would have still earned it by winning their conference in a 8 seed scenario. That's why you have at large spots. With no set criteria it's still all based in opinion.

It is your opinion that winning a weak conference- even, as KerryThachWDE points out, by a technicality and not actually by being the best team on the field- makes a team more deserving than another who came in 2nd in a strong conference. I do not share that opinion.

There are no set criteria for balancing the relative strength and creating parity among the conferences, so using conference champions as a set criterion for deciding playoff participants makes no sense to me.

If the current format wasn't in place fsu and uat would have played for a MNC last year.

I stated earlier that I like the current format. It is a different format that I argue against and which you seem to be supporting.

My 2 cents....I like the idea of an 8 team playoff.

My argument for 8 teams vs 4 teams:

4 team = 3 games that include the top 4 teams (subjective) in college football.

8 team = 7 games that include the top 8 teams (subjective) in college football.

7 games vs 3 games would be MORE college football. More college football is > than less college football.

** ...and remember, this ain't extra football pitting Vandy vs Temple. This is extra football pitting Titans vs Titans (subjective).

One interesting twist to this is the rule just passed by the B1G, which states that: 1) There will be 9 conference games, 2) They will only schedule FBS opponents, and 3) Every team must play at least 1 opponent from another P5 conference (Big 12, SEC, ACC, PAC12). This would essentially alleviate some of the scheduling worries that would arise from the protected playoff spot for conference champions, as one team couldn't play Kansas every year (for example).

Would it completely get rid of it? No. It would theoretically still be possible for a team to schedule a Kansas, Boston College, Vandy, Illinois, Colorado, etc. but eventually they are going to have to play a Wisconsin, a USC, a TCU, etc. because they would simply run out of bad teams to play.

My 2 cents....I like the idea of an 8 team playoff.

My argument for 8 teams vs 4 teams:

4 team = 3 games that include the top 4 teams (subjective) in college football.

8 team = 7 games that include the top 8 teams (subjective) in college football.

7 games vs 3 games would be MORE college football. More college football is > than less college football.

** ...and remember, this ain't extra football pitting Vandy vs Temple. This is extra football pitting Titans vs Titans (subjective).

I'm more and more enamored with the way you think.

Archived