FFRF goes after Auburn, Rev. Chette Williams

aujeff11

The Freedom From Religion Foundation's just-released national report, "Pray to Play," documenting unconstitutional Christian chaplaincies embedded in public university football programs, includes the Auburn University in its list of offending universities. FFRF, a national state/church watchdog, has written to university President Jay Gogue asking him to abolish the chaplaincy and adopt the model policy in FFRF's report.

Much of FFRF's report is built on public records it requested from universities. FFRF sent Auburn an open records request in September 2014, and sent a $500 deposit for the records that December. The university has refused to provide any records and ceased all contact with FFRF since April 10, 2015. FFRF is now considering an open records lawsuit against the university and has consulted with Alabama attorneys.

Although the university has refused to provide records, FFRF's independent research shows that Chette Williams, Auburn's football chaplain, is very much treated as a part of the team. Williams has an office in the stadium, typically wears AU branded clothing, organizes religious revivals for the team, is regularly referred to by official or official-sounding names, leads the team in prayer, baptizes players, randomly attends other team practices and meetings, travels with the team, and much more—even though technically the university does not employ him. This public university grants him special privileges and unrestricted access because he is a Christian clergyman, FFRF charges.

Click here to continue reading

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using a secular phrase exclusively for special organizations........F#%! FFRF.

Good day. ;)

The FFRF is free from religion. So what do they care? Last I heard nobody was forced to attend prayer circles or any other religious activities. I don't think the FFRF can win a lawsuit over this.

The FFRF is free from religion. So what do they care? Last I heard nobody was forced to attend prayer circles or any other religious activities. I don't think the FFRF can win a lawsuit over this.

They can and have won similar cases elsewhere.

I wonder why the resistance from Auburn on the open records request.

FFRF has had a lot of success against smaller municipal governments that could not afford to pay the legal fees to take these lawsuits to court. Whether it is nativity scenes or christian flags, if they are out, on public property, such as by the city hall or the police station, those cities get notified to take them down or else they will be taken to court. Many are forced to give in and take heed because like I said, they can't afford the legal fees. Just as well, many high school football teams are not allowed to have a team prayer anymore.

I for one am glad all the other problems in the world have been solved so that now this too can be addressed.

I for one am glad all the other problems in the world have been solved so that now this too can be addressed.

yes. Comforting

Yeah me too. Problems such as 4 mischievous teens are building up...

Yeah me too. Problems such as 4 mischievous teens are building up...

?

Looking for another thread, perchance ?

"Don't make Me come down there!!"...God

yes. Comforting

+2

One of the reasons he was brought in was to be available to help with some of the players that needed guidance, if they wanted it.

Auburn has a Religious studies department. Should it be shut down too?

One of the reasons he was brought in was to be available to help with some of the players that needed guidance, if they wanted it.

Auburn has a Religious studies department. Should it be shut down too?

Now you know that a religious studies department is not the same thing.

"Don't make Me come down there!!"...God

My old church would totally have that on their billboard.

This oppressive atheistic organization needs to be stopped.

That'll happen soon after the oppressive Westboro Baptists cult freaks are stopped.

FFRF may have a point. There may be some entanglement issues here.

They do have a point if you think of Brother Chette as an employee of Auburn. However, the AL.com article indicates that he is not an employee of a public university, so I don't see where the entanglement could come from. Yesterday, I actually thought the organization had a case against him. Not so much today.

1 time while at Auburn I had a teacher who had us captive on the last day of class. We had to stay. Instead of letting us go after taking roll, ( the exam had already been given and showing up was just a formality ) we were forced to endure the entire time hearing him witness to us about Jesus.

It really pissed me off. I wanted to just get up and leave, but then I'm certain he'd count me as 'absent'. No one else complained, though I do think many didn't care for it too much either. I wouldn't have minded had he just kept it short, say 10 minutes or so. But then it was 15. Then 25. 40 minutes passed... Freaking unbelievable.

1 time while at Auburn I had a teacher who had us captive on the last day of class. We had to stay. Instead of letting us go after taking roll, ( the exam had already been given and showing up was just a formality ) we were forced to endure the entire time hearing him witness to us about Jesus.

It really pissed me off. I wanted to just get up and leave, but then I'm certain he'd count me as 'absent'. No one else complained, though I do think many didn't care for it too much either. I wouldn't have minded had he just kept it short, say 10 minutes or so. But then it was 15. Then 25. 40 minutes passed... Freaking unbelievable.

Don't blame you. That'd probably grate my nerves too

They do have a point if you think of Brother Chette as an employee of Auburn. However, the AL.com article indicates that he is not an employee of a public university, so I don't see where the entanglement could come from. Yesterday, I actually thought the organization had a case against him. Not so much today.

They've since corrected that accusation:

Although the university has refused to provide records, FFRF's independent research shows that Chette Williams, Auburn's football chaplain, is very much treated as a part of the team. Williams has an office in the stadium, typically wears AU branded clothing, organizes religious revivals for the team, is regularly referred to by official or official-sounding names, leads the team in prayer, baptizes players, randomly attends other team practices and meetings, travels with the team, and much more—even though technically the university does not employ him. This public university grants him special privileges and unrestricted access because he is a Christian clergyman, FFRF charges.

Still, one wonders why the refusal from Auburn to acquiesce on the open records request.

Archived