FFRF goes after Auburn, Rev. Chette Williams

aujeff11

This oppressive atheistic organization needs to be stopped.

That'll happen soon after the oppressive Westboro Baptists cult freaks are stopped.

They aren't oppressive, they are non-Christian,lunatic fringe fools.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This oppressive atheistic organization needs to be stopped.

That'll happen soon after the oppressive Westboro Baptists cult freaks are stopped.

They aren't oppressive, they are non-Christian,lunatic fringe fools.

How are they not oppressive and this group is ? Please explain.

All other things aside, I'm not sure how AU can legally withhold its records. Seems like a waste of time trying to if eventually (as seems likely) a court will order them to obey state open public records laws.

But as for the other things:

I know Rev. Chette has done some good things, effected some young men in very positive ways, and was a huge influence on the success of our 2004 team.

On the other hand, would everyone here feel equally comfortable if a Muslim, Wikan, Satanist, or Scientologist clergyperson has such unrestricted access, athletic department approval, and powerful influence on our athletes? Unless you can answer yes, you're not really defending freedom of ALL religions.

All other things aside, I'm not sure how AU can legally withhold its records. Seems like a waste of time trying to if eventually (as seems likely) a court will order them to obey state open public records laws.

I know Rev. Chette has done some good things, effected some young men in very positive ways, and was a huge influence on the success of our 2004 team.

On the other hand, would everyone here feel equally comfortable if a Muslim, Wikan, Satanist, or Scientologist clergyperson has such unrestricted access, athletic department approval, and powerful influence on our athletes? Unless you can answer yes, you're not really defending freedom of ALL religions.

Maybe if it was a hot Scientologist babe. :)

I think I just felt my the thetan levels rise! At least, I hope that's what it was...

One of the reasons he was brought in was to be available to help with some of the players that needed guidance, if they wanted it.

Auburn has a Religious studies department. Should it be shut down too?

Now you know that a religious studies department is not the same thing.

He may not.

Where do I sign up? ;D

I'd feel absolutely comfortable, as long as the chaplain conducted his business from an interfaith standpoint, and nonparticipation wasn't punished in any way. I'm a nontheist, and agree with FFRF more often than not, but they're reaching here.

I'd feel absolutely comfortable, as long as the chaplain conducted his business from an interfaith standpoint, and nonparticipation wasn't punished in any way. I'm a nontheist, and agree with FFRF more often than not, but they're reaching here.

And I would agree with you (and FFRF) more often than not. That said, I care about Auburn much more. If Chette is having a positive influence on AU's athletic programs (specifically football), then I cannot disagree with his presence. That is especially true if his influence is not costing the university.

Personally, I think player ability as evaluated by coaches has (and had) more to do with players' position on the depth chart than Chette's endorsement. I've definitely heard no evidence that participation in Chette's programs has affected the depth chart.

I'd certainly be more likely to listen to one of them than, say, a Tom Cruise or John Travolta! ;)

Knowing of the situation internally I can tell you with 100% confidence that A: No one is forced to enter into the FCA program in Auburn and B: No one is shunned or mistreated for not being in a program that Mr. Williams leads. He is a very positive influence and I'm going to support him 100%.

This is just another attempt to go after Christians.

FFRF may have a point. There may be some entanglement issues here.

Last time i heard about this, Chette worked for the FCA. I heard that he actually doesnt work for Auburn.

Knowing of the situation internally I can tell you with 100% confidence that A: No one is forced to enter into the FCA program in Auburn and B: No one is shunned or mistreated for not being in a program that Mr. Williams leads. He is a very positive influence and I'm going to support him 100%.

Well, that's encouraging. If there weren't a good number of non-participators it would be a real red flag.

But BS on the suggestion of Christian persecution. It's obvious that Christianity holds an exalted position in the program, regardless of who writes the checks. Questioning or even examining that status is hardly anti-Christian.

More than that, it seems to be a part of an illogical narrative that believes, the best way to stop people you perceive as imposing their will on others, is to impose your will on others.

Well, that's encouraging. If there weren't a good number of non-participators it would be a real red flag.

But BS on the suggestion of Christian persecution. It's obvious that Christianity holds an exalted position in the program, regardless of who writes the checks. Questioning or even examining that status is hardly anti-Christian.

That's a good one...you are such a funny boy....

That's a good one...you are such a funny boy....

Care to explain what's funny?

Have you read FFRF's bylaws or looked at their site? Yeah, not going after Christians ... oh my, that's a good one..you just get funnier...reading your stuff is like watching an old Jack Benny episode where he feigned not being stingy...classic. Just like him, apparently you're the only one not in on the joke.

More than that, it seems to be a part of an illogical narrative that believes, the best way to stop people you perceive as imposing their will on others, is to impose your will on others.

This is what pisses me off more than anything!! A program designed to help and support the players that CHOOSE to participate they want to condemn, solely b/c it is Christian. I guarantee if any other religion, they wouldn't bate an eye at it.

Like EMT said, from my time at AU having gone to church with Tuberville, his intentions in starting that program was a non-denominational approach for Chette to be a spiritual leader and guide no matter a players religious background. Chette is an awesome man and genuinely cares for the well being of these young men.

Have you read FFRF's bylaws or looked at their site? Yeah, not going after Christians ... oh my, that's a good one..you just get funnier...reading your stuff is like watching an old Jack Benny episode where he feigned not being stingy...classic. Just like him, apparently you're the only one not in on the joke.

Apparently. I don't see anything funny about this. Well, unless you have the notion this is more about Christianity than religion in general.

This is what pisses me off more than anything!! A program designed to help and support the players that CHOOSE to participate they want to condemn, solely b/c it is Christian. I guarantee if any other religion, they wouldn't bate an eye at it.

Like EMT said, from my time at AU having gone to church with Tuberville, his intentions in starting that program was a non-denominational approach for Chette to be a spiritual leader and guide no matter a players religious background. Chette is an awesome man and genuinely cares for the well being of these young men.

Non-denominational Christian is not even representative of all religions in this country, much less non-theistic beliefs.

Yall are boring. The pitchfork crowd in the football forum is helluva lot better entertainment.

Non-denominational Christian is not even representative of all religions in this country, much less non-theistic beliefs.

OK? I guess if one has non-theistic beliefs then one does not need spiritual guidance from a minister, and since Chette or the coaches are forcing them to participate that one has no worries. I'm pretty sure Chette is open to those of other religious beliefs, based on the time I spent around him.

Archived