FFRF goes after Auburn, Rev. Chette Williams

aujeff11

This is what pisses me off more than anything!! A program designed to help and support the players that CHOOSE to participate they want to condemn, solely b/c it is Christian. I guarantee if any other religion, they wouldn't bate an eye at it.

Like EMT said, from my time at AU having gone to church with Tuberville, his intentions in starting that program was a non-denominational approach for Chette to be a spiritual leader and guide no matter a players religious background. Chette is an awesome man and genuinely cares for the well being of these young men.

They have gone after folks for pushing Islam too.

And critiqued it.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they haven't tried to stop students from gathering on their own to do things like this. Probably just haven't had enough time yet but they will eventually.

LOL. They can't do that and they know it.

Have you read FFRF's bylaws or looked at their site? Yeah, not going after Christians ... oh my, that's a good one..you just get funnier...reading your stuff is like watching an old Jack Benny episode where he feigned not being stingy...classic. Just like him, apparently you're the only one not in on the joke.

Apparently. I don't see anything funny about this. Well, unless you have the notion this is more about Christianity than religion in general.

Christianity is the single and predominant target in this case.

Have you read FFRF's bylaws or looked at their site? Yeah, not going after Christians ... oh my, that's a good one..you just get funnier...reading your stuff is like watching an old Jack Benny episode where he feigned not being stingy...classic. Just like him, apparently you're the only one not in on the joke.

Apparently. I don't see anything funny about this. Well, unless you have the notion this is more about Christianity than religion in general.

The situation would be the same if Brother Chette were Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish etc.

The situation would be the same if Brother Chette were Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish etc.

Possibly. I for one have a problem with the FFRF and their very liberal approach in their targeting. This isn't government.....it's athletics.

Possibly. I for one have a problem with the FFRF and their very liberal approach in their targeting. This isn't government.....it's athletics.

Auburn is a public institution. Ipso facto, it is government including the football team.

Auburn is a public institution. Ipso facto, it is government including the football team.

Do they go after our Creed next? Considering we take in less and less in public funding I'd say we are slightly public. Lol

I'm surprised they haven't tried to stop students from gathering on their own to do things like this. Probably just haven't had enough time yet but they will eventually.

Why?

Knowing of the situation internally I can tell you with 100% confidence that A: No one is forced to enter into the FCA program in Auburn and B: No one is shunned or mistreated for not being in a program that Mr. Williams leads. He is a very positive influence and I'm going to support him 100%.

This is just another attempt to go after Christians.

More than that, it seems to be a part of an illogical narrative that believes, the best way to stop people you perceive as imposing their will on others, is to impose your will on others.

This is what pisses me off more than anything!! A program designed to help and support the players that CHOOSE to participate they want to condemn, solely b/c it is Christian. I guarantee if any other religion, they wouldn't bate an eye at it.

Like EMT said, from my time at AU having gone to church with Tuberville, his intentions in starting that program was a non-denominational approach for Chette to be a spiritual leader and guide no matter a players religious background. Chette is an awesome man and genuinely cares for the well being of these young men.

Non-denominational Christian is not even representative of all religions in this country, much less non-theistic beliefs.

OK? I guess if one has non-theistic beliefs then one does not need spiritual guidance from a minister, and since Chette or the coaches are forcing them to participate that one has no worries. I'm pretty sure Chette is open to those of other religious beliefs, based on the time I spent around him.

Sorry, except for the last sentence, I don't understand that.

Duuuuuh. Wonder why that is? :-\

Is there a team mullah or team shaman or a team rabbi we haven't heard about?

Guest NC1406

Duuuuuh. Wonder why that is? :-\/>

Has a player asked for one? If so I bet we could get the FCA to help fund the request.

Has a player asked for one? If so I bet we could get the FCA to help fund the request.

I don't know. How much religious diversity exists on the team? How welcoming is the environment to a Muslim or Jewish player, much less an agnostic or atheist?

My point is the particular religion at issue is more a reflection of the dominance of Christianity in this country than it is a focus on Christianity as the "single and predominant target".

Guest NC1406

I don't know. How much religious diversity exists on the team?

i don't know the answer to religious diversity on the team and really don't care.......I think we would all be better served letting any team member attempt to resolve religious issues internally and if that effort is not successful then they should escalate the issue. An outside source is not required to resolve a nonissue.

i don't know the answer to religious diversity on the team and really don't care.......I think we would all be better served letting any team member attempt to resolve religious issues internally and if that effort is not successful then they should escalate the issue. An outside source is not required to resolve a nonissue.

I expanded my post:

I don't know. How much religious diversity exists on the team? How welcoming is the environment to a Muslim or Jewish player, much less an agnostic or atheist?

My point is the particular religion at issue is more a reflection of the dominance of Christianity in this country than it is a focus on Christianity as the "single and predominant target".

Guest NC1406

I expanded my post:

I am not sure I comprehend your point.....are you saying Christianity is a target because that is the majority religion? My point is that if this offends a team member then the member should let it be known. If no team member is offended then an outside group is not needed to correct a non issue. Personally I refuse to regularly attend religious gatherings but I have my beliefs and respect others to practice as they see fit.

So who was it that actually asked for one and was rejected by Auburn? Or are you just talking out of your rear end again as per usual. When you name the player, I will write and call and if needs be, visit AU to verify that we rejected him/her.

I expanded my post:

I am not sure I comprehend your point.....are you saying Christianity is a target because that is the majority religion? My point is that if this offends a team member then the member should let it be known. If no team member is offended then an outside group is not needed to correct a non issue. Personally I refuse to regularly attend religious gatherings but I have my beliefs and respect others to practice as they see fit.

I was responding to emt who was making the point that Christianity was the "single and predominate target".

Of course Christianity was the "target" (object) for the obvious reasons. It has nothing to do with Christianity per se'.

And to say if it "offends" a team member - they should let it be known - is absurd. It reflects a total misunderstanding of what social coercion is. We are not talking about a church, we are talking about a football team.

LOL. They can't do that and they know it.

No not yet but in ten years who knows. They would if they could. These people remind me of Madeline O' Hare, the infamous atheist that tried to get religious programs taken off of television way back when. It always amazes me how !atheists get all up in arms mat the very thought of someone talking to some other people about Gos and religion. Just tune it out or don't watch.

So who was it that actually asked for one and was rejected by Auburn? Or are you just talking out of your rear end again as per usual. When you name the player, I will write and call and of needs be visit AU to verify that we rejected him/her.

Excuse me but what exactly what part of my post are you responding to?

So do atheists just want their belief system to be the dominant one in America? Because if the state or government supports this, then that is a violation of the establishment clause.

Knowing of the situation internally I can tell you with 100% confidence that A: No one is forced to enter into the FCA program in Auburn and B: No one is shunned or mistreated for not being in a program that Mr. Williams leads. He is a very positive influence and I'm going to support him 100%.

This is just another attempt to go after Christians.

Well, that's encouraging. If there weren't a good number of non-participators it would be a real red flag.

But BS on the suggestion of Christian persecution. It's obvious that Christianity holds an exalted position in the program, regardless of who writes the checks. Questioning or even examining that status is hardly anti-Christian.

EMT saying "go after" Christians is NOT the same thing as persecuting. You are just trying sensationalize things...again.

So do atheists just want their belief system to be the dominant one in America?

No. Separation of church and state is the political position that the civil government should not have any involvement in religious matters, and vice versa.

Because if the state or government supports this, then that is a violation of the establishment clause.

LOL

Archived