Who is doing the Play-Calling?

AU-24

So this is why the wr's don't block, can't get open and don't help the qb out with a good catch once in a while?

This is on coaching. Plus the fact that Gus does not like to hit in practice does not help in this situation. Hitting in practice was the thing that held up hiring CWM sooner to AU. CWM was not going to come to a school who did not hit during practice. Couple people here can back me on this.

He's right

I thought Chizic was the one that didn't hit in practice.Did Gus not learn anything from that?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WDE, I sure wish it had anyone but you that revealed all of this....I could dismissed it as uninformed horse***t....but, I've been around here for a long time, and I know that when you say it, the odds are that its true...damn, if this is the case, we can see why we are having problems on offense...so, WDE, who do we fire?....craig has proved himself to me, going back to his time under center....lashley has not proved s***

This could have all been fixed last year with CRL leaving to take the Samford job and Gus promoting Bentley to Co-OC/QB coach. Now I don't think Bentley will get a job on the field, unless CSF is gone, because Gus will need to hire a proven OC/QB coach. More import is the QB part. Gus is not a QB coach at all. He is an X and O's coach. Bentley is a damn fine coach. Clemson was going to hire him as the QB coach last year but Gus stepped in.

Right now Gus needs to put his ego aside and take the play calling and pre-game scheming back over.

Wait, so are we hitting or not hitting in practice? If WM didnt want to be at a place where they don't hit why would he choose AU if we don't hit here?

Wait, so are we hitting or not hitting in practice? If WM didnt want to be at a place where they don't hit why would he choose AU if we don't hit here?

I understood it as "We're hitting now, but it's hard to coach the pu**y out of the older guys".

AU did hit hard this spring. Don't know much about the fall practices.

I understood it as "We're hitting now, but it's hard to coach the pu**y out of the older guys".

Yep.

AU did hit hard this spring. Don't know much about the fall practices.

Yep.

Thanks for the info,really explains a lot of what is going on with this team.

A few things. Humor my long response:

We hit some in practice. The decision to not hit more than we do has been in place since the ChiZik days primarily to prevent injury in practice...it really hurts when a star player goes down before the games. I don't agree with this method, but it has changed some since wm came on board. We hit much more than we used to.

I can attest that no one saw this struggle coming. We looked a thousand times better in practice this year on defense. The offense looked very capable as well. Jeremy had a confidence and swagger about him that he clearly lost somewhere in that louisville game.

Id much rather have Sean in there right now, at least he seemed to "see" the coverages. Let's let him throw it downfield more. Just like a day game he was held back a bit to keep things manageable for him. It cost us.

If there's a disagreement between RL and DC I don't see it, and I think it's something that I would be able to see, let's put it that way. (Not that it's not there just I've never seen it)

As I've mentioned before the interaction between Rhett and Gus calling plays is very complicated, but the buck starts with Rhett and ends with Gus. So I happen to know these two facts: 1, Rhett is very aware that he isn't getting the job done and feels tons of pressure to get it better fast. 2, Gus is aware that this is a results-based business and that there's pressure to take back the reins so to speak when it comes to play-calling.

IMO, Gus will make a move to replace Rhett if things didn't improve OnLy if it stays this bad.

Btw, does anybody else think that Gus has a little social awkwardness about him? Evidenced by the weird concentration on one subject, the trouble he has with interviews, eye contact issues, etc. Just wondering if anyone else sees it...I could be way off.

I'm sad man...It's worse than what I thought. I can't take another 2012 season. I like to talk too much smack at the work place and amongst friends for this...

A few things. Humor my long response:

We hit some in practice. The decision to not hit more than we do has been in place since the ChiZik days primarily to prevent injury in practice...it really hurts when a star player goes down before the games. I don't agree with this method, but it has changed some since wm came on board. We hit much more than we used to.

I can attest that no one saw this struggle coming. We looked a thousand times better in practice this year on defense. The offense looked very capable as well. Jeremy had a confidence and swagger about him that he clearly lost somewhere in that louisville game.

Id much rather have Sean in there right now, at least he seemed to "see" the coverages. Let's let him throw it downfield more. Just like a day game he was held back a bit to keep things manageable for him. It cost us.

If there's a disagreement between RL and DC I don't see it, and I think it's something that I would be able to see, let's put it that way. (Not that it's not there just I've never seen it)

As I've mentioned before the interaction between Rhett and Gus calling plays is very complicated, but the buck starts with Rhett and ends with Gus. So I happen to know these two facts: 1, Rhett is very aware that he isn't getting the job done and feels tons of pressure to get it better fast. 2, Gus is aware that this is a results-based business and that there's pressure to take back the reins so to speak when it comes to play-calling.

IMO, Gus will make a move to replace Rhett if things didn't improve OnLy if it stays this bad.

Btw, does anybody else think that Gus has a little social awkwardness about him? Evidenced by the weird concentration on one subject, the trouble he has with interviews, eye contact issues, etc. Just wondering if anyone else sees it...I could be way off.

Yep... Never should've brought Lashlee in!

Now Gus has screwed it up for Craig or Bently taking over... his only chance to save face is to bring in an experienced coordinator.

WDE, I sure wish it had anyone but you that revealed all of this....I could dismissed it as uninformed horse***t....but, I've been around here for a long time, and I know that when you say it, the odds are that its true...damn, if this is the case, we can see why we are having problems on offense...so, WDE, who do we fire?....craig has proved himself to me, going back to his time under center....lashley has not proved s***

This could have all been fixed last year with CRL leaving to take the Samford job and Gus promoting Bentley to Co-OC/QB coach. Now I don't think Bentley will get a job on the field, unless CSF is gone, because Gus will need to hire a proven OC/QB coach. More import is the QB part. Gus is not a QB coach at all. He is an X and O's coach. Bentley is a damn fine coach. Clemson was going to hire him as the QB coach last year but Gus stepped in.

Right now Gus needs to put his ego aside and take the play calling and pre-game scheming back over.

So, in a nutshell, you're saying Rhett is excess baggage and Gus isn't a QB coach?

I just wish SOMEONE...ANYONE...could've pointed this out sooner. That brave soul probably would've taken a lot of flak, but talk about being on the money...

So, in a nutshell, you're saying Rhett is excess baggage and Gus isn't a QB coach?

I just wish SOMEONE...ANYONE...could've pointed this out sooner. That brave soul probably would've taken a lot of flak, but talk about being on the money...

Wouldn't be able to mention it now though because it would be a told you so

This has been the most fun I've had around here in awhile.

Exactly... nobody wants to be that guy. He'd have to just take it, roll it up, put it in his back pocket and save it as a little piece of satisfaction on a rainy day.

Exactly... nobody wants to be that guy. He'd have to just take it, roll it up, put it in his back pocket and save it as a little piece of satisfaction on a rainy day.

Cats and dogs in Atlanta today. Let 'er rip.

I guess I'm cut from a different cloth, I love a good told you so. It doesn't even have to be me. Especially if they caught ridicule for it, they earned a good told you so and I value their opinion more. It's what make the forum fun imo.

Why not just sack RL and move DC over to QB coach/OC and while we are at it let Gus and DC put some slant routes and a rb screen into the playbook. DC did coach two NFL first round QB's at FSU. Our major problem was that JJ regressed this year.

I sure wish Rhett and Gus had experience calling plays for the offense and a record of success behind their names. We should probably fire them and recruit one of you fine message board posters with your two years of coaching pony league up to make the calls.

I sure wish Rhett and Gus had experience calling plays for the offense and a record of success behind their names. We should probably fire them and recruit one of you fine message board posters with your two years of coaching pony league up to make the calls.

People are just abusing this sort of commentary at this point.

We can't all be as cool as you.

Do tell what success Rhett Lashlee has "behind his name".

yeah you got it.

Why not just sack RL and move DC over to QB coach/OC and while we are at it let Gus and DC put some slant routes and a rb screen into the playbook. DC did coach two NFL first round QB's at FSU. Our major problem was that JJ regressed this year.

3 first rounders...

Ponder, Manuel, and Winston

People are just abusing this sort of commentary at this point.

Yeah. Sigh.

We can't all be as cool as you.

Do tell what success Rhett Lashlee has "behind his name".

And then there's that, too.

yeah you got it.

Sure does.

Archived