Who is doing the Play-Calling?

AU-24

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of us figure we are paying Gus for his game planning and play calling....just wondering if that is what is going on?

Chizik has their hands cuffed.

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/>

4 SEC wins and 6 SEC losses is making hard to find jokes. Had to pull an old Chizik joke out.

Boy dem Tarheels look excited on defense! Not the most athletic that I have ever seen but they do fly around.

Many of us figure we are paying Gus for his game planning and play calling....just wondering if that is what is going on?

Let's make no mistake about it... We pay Gus to put a championship caliber Auburn "TEAM" on the field every week.

I don't know when or if they have stopped doing it this way, but their set up used to be Rhett would come up with two or three plays and Gus would choose what he thought was best. Although I don't recall when or where, I do remember seeing that on some sort of broadcast. Auburn Every Day, perhaps.

WDE!

Let's make no mistake about it... We pay Gus to put a championship caliber Auburn "TEAM" on the field every week.

That's true....just wondering about the sudden death of our offense....though as you note...the bottom line is what really matters.

That's true....just wondering about the sudden death of our offense....though as you note...the bottom line is what really matters.

Sudden death of our offense = no HUNH and three pro style QB's

I really do wish we'd go back to the HUNH.

Calling Jason Smith!!! If all we are going to throw is 10 yard routes, why not put JS in the game and make teams account for his legs. We all know he can throw a 10 yard pass, and his #1 receiver at MGCC was Duke. No different than how we started Nick out. I don't think he threw a pass for the first 4 games.

Calling Jason Smith!!! If all we are going to throw is 10 yard routes, why not put JS in the game and make teams account for his legs. We all know he can throw a 10 yard pass, and his #1 receiver at MGCC was Duke. No different than how we started Nick out. I don't think he threw a pass for the first 4 games.

I meant with SW, FWIW. I don't think Jason Smith is going to see more than novelty/special package time at QB.

114.gif

Yeah play calling has been pretty bad, but I wonder how much of that is because for the last four games we've have some combination of a quarterback with no confidence and zero ability to read the field, and O-line that couldn't block a small child, and a near inability to establish the run until the second half. As for the receivers, I don't know whose fault it is that the only players we are seeing catch a pass is Melvin Ray and Ricardo Louis. Plus we really haven't seen anyone step up to stretch the field in Sammie's stead.

Last two years the play calling hasn't been to complicated

1st down zone read

2nd down zone read

3rd down zone read

Sprinkle in some jet sweep, bubble screen, wheel route, the pump fake then hit Uzomah in the back of the end zone, and the deep ball to Sammie were we over throw it by 5-15 yards or Sammie drops it.

Difference is executuon.

I meant with SW, FWIW. I don't think Jason Smith is going to see more than novelty/special package time at QB.

I don't think we will either, but the point has already been made that the play calling for SW last week was no different than what JJ has been successfull at. We could have done the same thing with JJ. If we are going to actually shake it up, then that would be an option.

114.gif

Grammatical error? :)

114.gif

Grammatical error? :)

Well, yeah. Among other things.

his #1 receiver at MGCC was Duke.

You serious, Clark?

What'd I say?

The part of your post I quoted. I probably should have also included the part about Nick Marshall not throwing a pass the first 4 games.

I really do wish we'd go back to the HUNH.

pretty sure that gus' Tulsa teams averaged 78 plays a game and they were pocket passers i believe, but my memory is foggy

Archived