Who is doing the Play-Calling?

AU-24

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of us figure we are paying Gus for his game planning and play calling....just wondering if that is what is going on?

Let's make no mistake about it... We pay Gus to put a championship caliber Auburn "TEAM" on the field every week.

That's true....just wondering about the sudden death of our offense....though as you note...the bottom line is what really matters.

Sudden death of our offense = no HUNH and three pro style QB's

No. RL isn't getting along with DC & Grimes. Both DC & Grimes want Gus to do some things different & RL disagrees. RL should have taken the Samford job last year like he was asked to do. All in all this is on Gus letting all of this come to a head. I'd bet that RL isn't here next year. Gus had better watch it himself. He is paid 4m and is putting on a "Sh** show" from some of the PTB at AU. FWIW.

The D is what it is. We should have known better that CWM wasn't going to work miracles in his first year. The D did look better aginst state and will look better as the year goes on. IMO.

WOW! So we possibly have members of the coaching staff not getting along?

I hope Gus won't allow his loyalty to his former high school QB turned Auburn OC jeopardize his own job.

Last year I was wondering if Gus was calling plays because it seemed that we continued to run into a brick wall. We didn't have Prosch and we didnt make any changes at all in game plan or add any wrinkles. Let's just keep doing last years plan with different players, oh and try to throw a little more.

WOW! So we possibly have members of the coaching staff not getting along?

I hope Gus won't allow his loyalty to his former high school QB turned Auburn OC jeopardize his own job.

Rhett Lashlee is not a D1 Offensive Coordinator. He is in way over his head... because he doesn't have the experience as a player, or a coach to be in this position. He is nothing more than a yes man for Gus.

AU deserves better and quite frankly, we NEED better.

It's gotta be tough for our offensive staff to be in meetings with Rhett Lashlee. Taking orders from someone who is not an innovator, a planner, or motivator. Trust me, they know (just like we do) why Rhett has this job.

The question is, is Gus' loyalty to Lashlee gonna ride himself straight out of a job?

I haven't been critical of coaches (well I have Gardner but I mean come on look) but if Gus let's RL start some stuff up...he pretty much deserves it

Also laughing. Always grateful for quality levity.

So, another Arkansas coach letting friction between his OC and the rest of his staff undermine the program? I'm not gonna get all dramatic about it, but the parallels are hilarious. Crazy how much drama comes out of that otherwise inconsequential state.

So, another Arkansas coach letting friction between his OC and the rest of his staff undermine the program? I'm not gonna get all dramatic about it, but the parallels are hilarious. Crazy how much drama comes out of that otherwise inconsequential state.

I didn't even think of that irony. Talking about full circle...

There was friction last year between RL & DC. Wasn't that big of a secret.

Nothing like a bit of "under-achieving" to reveal what's going on behind the scenes....especially among highly competitive and highly ambitious people.

I'd prefer that we were 4-0 and the undercurrents stayed "under " ....this is not healthy of course and sunk Chiz a few years ago.

There was friction last year between RL & DC. Wasn't that big of a secret.

first i have seen of it.

This is something that has been a concern of mine ever since we went the Co-OC route. One clearly has far more experience playing with/against other elite talent than the other, and has experienced other systems besides Gus'. It doesn't mean that Rhett can't do the job, but if he isn't willing to listen to those with more experience, it will be a mistake.

Nothing like a bit of "under-achieving" to reveal what's going on behind the scenes....especially among highly competitive and highly ambitious people.

I'd prefer that we were 4-0 and the undercurrents stayed "under " ....this is not healthy of course and sunk Chiz a few years ago.

Here is the problem in a nutshell "EGO'S". Both Gus and RL have them. We will see what Gus will do. Chiz had this same problem & now he is gone. Chiz was pissed off Gus got most of the credit, right or wrong, about the 2010 team. Chiz went out to prove he was the "Man" and it got him fired.

This is something that has been a concern of mine ever since we went the Co-OC route. One clearly has far more experience playing with/against other elite talent than the other, and has experienced other systems besides Gus'. It doesn't mean that Rhett can't do the job, but if he isn't willing to listen to those with more experience, it will be a mistake.

And he doesn't think he needs the input or want the input. But you know this already. :beer2:

So this is why the wr's don't block, can't get open and don't help the qb out with a good catch once in a while?

So this is why the wr's don't block, can't get open and don't help the qb out with a good catch once in a while?

This is on coaching. Plus the fact that Gus does not like to hit in practice does not help in this situation. Hitting in practice was the thing that held up hiring CWM sooner to AU. CWM was not going to come to a school who did not hit during practice. Couple people here can back me on this.

This is on coaching. Plus the fact that Gus does not like to hit in practice does not help in this situation. Hitting in practice was the thing that held up hiring CWM sooner to AU. CWM was not going to come to a school who did not hit during practice. Couple people here can back me on this.

I wondered about how tough our practices are,the team just looks soft to me on both sides of the ball.

is this true about Gus not liking hiting? I've heard this before but never really looked into it

But looking back on it (even though I only played football in peewee/high school) if we hadn't hit in summer/fall practices I would have not been ready for the season at all. i feel like there would have been injuries to the left and right if we had waited until the first game to hit

He's right

WDE, I sure wish it had anyone but you that revealed all of this....I could dismissed it as uninformed horse***t....but, I've been around here for a long time, and I know that when you say it, the odds are that its true...damn, if this is the case, we can see why we are having problems on offense...so, WDE, who do we fire?....craig has proved himself to me, going back to his time under center....lashley has not proved s***

Archived