Ten Passes? This is not progress!

DivisionN

Today was not the time to "work on things".

Right, the time to "work on things" is against our upcoming SEC opponents who will throttle us. We will be glad we spent this entire game running up the middle repeatedly when we're all of a sudden asking Sean White to complete 3rd and longs against SEC defenses blitzing his ass.

This...ALL of this! Today was the perfect time to work on things.

What you guys fail to realize is that we WERE working on things. The way Gus builds his O, the run needs to be dominant. Until today it has not been. We had a whopping 165 yards rushing against JACK ST!!! 165!!!! Yesterday we had 240 against a better team. For us to survive the SEC at all, our Oline needed big improvements. Unfortunately for those who are dying for a 300 yard passing game, passing AND running were broken and we chose to fix running this week..and did. Now we have KY about to load up the box and hopefully we can work on passing. Before today, teams could cover the run and the pass at the same time. Now they have to focus on the run. I'm not saying we are a great team, but this is what has to be done to get this team better. Now we feel better about the rushing attack and we can work more on passing.

And an fyi for those dying to fire Rhett and move DC to OC....have you seen our receiver play the last 3 years????? Why does anyone think he should be moved up????? He is failing terribly at coaching just 1 position. I respect him and all he's done for AU, but if Rhett goes, DC should be moved to QB coach and hire an OC that can coach WRS. JMO

We were? So 10 passes is going to get it done in the SEC West? If it does...much credit to our staff.

You obviously don't get it and just want to argue. Enjoy arguing with yourself. I laid out clearly we were working on running the ball. I'm sorry you don't understand that. Take it up with Gus. I don't make the gameplans. I just told you what the plan was and you seem to think that is the gameplan for the rest of the year. Maybe someone else can make you understand. I'm not gonna try.

I'm not arguing but asking a simple question. Nothing to get worked up about. I just don't see how it's logical that we're working on things and our QB only threw 10 passes and of those 10 many were short passes. I'm not acting doom and gloom but i'm not going to ignore the obvious with the teams we have left to play. It's game 5 and yet people want to believe Gus has some magical plays he's going to pull out on our SEC opponents...ok. Take off the blue and orange glasses and ask yourself if what we did yesterday is going to get it done against the rest of the SEC. If you feel like yes..well that's your opinion. I just differ and hope we can get some lucky breaks to help us out. I hope this team can turn it around big time..i'm just not seeing any signs of that.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, the time to "work on things" is against our upcoming SEC opponents who will throttle us. We will be glad we spent this entire game running up the middle repeatedly when we're all of a sudden asking Sean White to complete 3rd and longs against SEC defenses blitzing his ass.

What you guys fail to realize is that we WERE working on things. The way Gus builds his O, the run needs to be dominant. Until today it has not been. We had a whopping 165 yards rushing against JACK ST!!! 165!!!! Yesterday we had 240 against a better team. For us to survive the SEC at all, our Oline needed big improvements. Unfortunately for those who are dying for a 300 yard passing game, passing AND running were broken and we chose to fix running this week..and did. Now we have KY about to load up the box and hopefully we can work on passing. Before today, teams could cover the run and the pass at the same time. Now they have to focus on the run. I'm not saying we are a great team, but this is what has to be done to get this team better. Now we feel better about the rushing attack and we can work more on passing.

And an fyi for those dying to fire Rhett and move DC to OC....have you seen our receiver play the last 3 years????? Why does anyone think he should be moved up????? He is failing terribly at coaching just 1 position. I respect him and all he's done for AU, but if Rhett goes, DC should be moved to QB coach and hire an OC that can coach WRS. JMO

We were? So 10 passes is going to get it done in the SEC West? If it does...much credit to our staff.

You obviously don't get it and just want to argue. Enjoy arguing with yourself. I laid out clearly we were working on running the ball. I'm sorry you don't understand that. Take it up with Gus. I don't make the gameplans. I just told you what the plan was and you seem to think that is the gameplan for the rest of the year. Maybe someone else can make you understand. I'm not gonna try.

I'm not arguing but asking a simple question. Nothing to get worked up about. I just don't see how it's logical that we're working on things and our QB only threw 10 passes and of those 10 many were short passes. I'm not acting doom and gloom but i'm not going to ignore the obvious with the teams we have left to play. It's game 5 and yet people want to believe Gus has some magical plays he's going to pull out on our SEC opponents...ok. Take off the blue and orange glasses and ask yourself if what we did yesterday is going to get it done against the rest of the SEC. If you feel like yes..well that's your opinion. I just differ and hope we can get some lucky breaks to help us out. I hope this team can turn it around big time..i'm just not seeing any signs of that.

Like I said, we were working on running the ball, not passing. That's how you end up with 10 passes. You still don't get it.

You didn't realize who you were about to argue with

Like I said, we were working on running the ball, not passing. That's how you end up with 10 passes. You still don't get it.

I get it..i just don't like it. SJ is not that hard to run the ball on. They suck against the run. We should've ran for more yards against them.

You're 100% right. Thanks for that reminder and bringing me back to earth Cole. I slipped for a minute and did forget who i'm about to argue with and his previous posts. lol. I needed that brother.

I think some overestimate the improvement that can occur in a week.

Dude it's ugly. Players aren't buying into what the coaches are doing and the coaches don't trust the players. Gus is convinced that if the players will execute his offense he can beat anyone but it looks like the rest of the NCAA had figured out how to stop Gus as of right now. Gus's ego is the problem. This is going to get ugly. IMO.

But the players don't have an ego problem?

Dude it's ugly. Players aren't buying into what the coaches are doing and the coaches don't trust the players. Gus is convinced that if the players will execute his offense he can beat anyone but it looks like the rest of the NCAA had figured out how to stop Gus as of right now. Gus's ego is the problem. This is going to get ugly. IMO.

Personally, I never thought Gus was an "offensive guru" in the same sense that others did. Gus understands the obvious for his system: good execution, simplicity, plus tempo, equals success. If you eliminate any of those three elements, the results vary greatly. 2013's offense was a great combination of all three; once they found it, no one could really deal with it. They were not held to under 30 points a single time after the LSU loss, and the reason is simple: there were established threats all over the field, and execution was great. A team cannot really consistently execute a ridiculously complicated offense at high tempo. Gus is not the type of coach that can craft an offense that is consistently successful without tempo.

Gus' ego is the HUNH. He wrote the definitive book on the subject, and I cannot believe that he has abandoned that philosophy. That is the philosophy Auburn bought when he was hired. Gus' offense does not work without tempo AND execution, nor do I think he really expects it to. It is not designed to march down the field slowly at 3-4 yards per play. It is designed to hammer away with whatever is working and then bust things open with big plays, where the tempo is the element that keeps that happening long enough for the defense to wear away under the pressure. His book speaks of creating a 5th quarter via tempo, and that is what he believes.

I do not think Gus is a run-first, play-action coach, and I think his offenses at multiple locations demonstrate that. I do think that he likes to use what is working, whether it is rushing or passing, and open it up from there. Ultimately, as is the case with any offense, it will not work if the entire unit does not execute it well consistently.

I do not think the NCAA has figured out his offense, I think it is more an issue of his offense does not work when tempo AND execution are not present. An offensive strategy that is predicated upon using tempo, eye candy, and execution to force the defense into making mistakes will not work well when basically all three are missing on a regular basis.

I don't see people on here saying SW is some great savior qb???? Mostly folks were just tired of seeing jj throw it to the other team and thought a change might help. This team has more issues than qb anyway. Why on earth there are some who want to stir up crap over the qb is beyond me.

Amen

10 passes was just a way of Gus trying to win the game instead of preparing for the rest of the season. You can do both.....Gus just knows he's out matched by 100+ coaches in the nation as the data supports. He's just doing everything is power to go 4-8 and not 3-9 like his mentor Chizik!

Clayton normally I would be right there with you but something is going on with the way the team is playing. When I see a pass play called and 2 of the 3 receivers run no true route just kind of walk thru there so called patterns. I mean we needed a first down and it looked like we had one receiver running a route with 2 guys covering him. I have never seen a play set up like that.

yep.....something is not right, and why it has not been handled is a sign of what type leadership we have....I wonder if lashley is the problem or is malzahn just weak in his approach to discipline?...also,I am really sick of watching some of these seniors play for 4 years and are no better than they were as freshmen

Players shouldn't be rewarded for lack of effort. Muschamp is handling this the right way on D. Any players that loaf should be benched immediately. Only players giving full effort should be rewarded with playing time. If we continue to allow players showing no effort to play, then it will undermine the motivation of the players who are giving full effort and not seeing the field enough. This isn't rocket science.

:bow:

Personally, I never thought Gus was an "offensive guru" in the same sense that others did. Gus understands the obvious for his system: good execution, simplicity, plus tempo, equals success. If you eliminate any of those three elements, the results vary greatly. 2013's offense was a great combination of all three; once they found it, no one could really deal with it. They were not held to under 30 points a single time after the LSU loss, and the reason is simple: there were established threats all over the field, and execution was great. A team cannot really consistently execute a ridiculously complicated offense at high tempo. Gus is not the type of coach that can craft an offense that is consistently successful without tempo.

Gus' ego is the HUNH. He wrote the definitive book on the subject, and I cannot believe that he has abandoned that philosophy. That is the philosophy Auburn bought when he was hired. Gus' offense does not work without tempo AND execution, nor do I think he really expects it to. It is not designed to march down the field slowly at 3-4 yards per play. It is designed to hammer away with whatever is working and then bust things open with big plays, where the tempo is the element that keeps that happening long enough for the defense to wear away under the pressure. His book speaks of creating a 5th quarter via tempo, and that is what he believes.

I do not think Gus is a run-first, play-action coach, and I think his offenses at multiple locations demonstrate that. I do think that he likes to use what is working, whether it is rushing or passing, and open it up from there. Ultimately, as is the case with any offense, it will not work if the entire unit does not execute it well consistently.

I do not think the NCAA has figured out his offense, I think it is more an issue of his offense does not work when tempo AND execution are not present. An offensive strategy that is predicated upon using tempo, eye candy, and execution to force the defense into making mistakes will not work well when basically all three are missing on a regular basis.

Good post.

Can't run the HUNH when your offense gets behind the chains.....you get super quick 3 and outs and you hang your defense out to dry. Gus has a philosophy, just like most coaches. You stick to it. Unfortunately this season JJ lost his marbles once the lights hit and Gus is trying to adjust on the fly....I saw JJ in practice twice and he damn sure looked the part but once the lights hit, he folded like a cheap suit....once the QB lost confidence it's like the entire team did.....

You're 100% right. Thanks for that reminder and bringing me back to earth Cole. I slipped for a minute and did forget who i'm about to argue with and his previous posts. lol. I needed that brother.

Lol. You guys are really pathetic. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

If Jason Smith catches that wide open pass and Duke goes up and comes down with that deep pass on the first drive then I think everybody is talking about how great the passing game is. The years Auburn has been successful under Gus, including 2010, it was powered by the run. Baylor which has the most powerful offense in the country right now is averaging over 300 yards of rushing a game. I have no problem with 10 passes as long as those passes are effective to keep the offense wide open.

If Jason Smith catches that wide open pass and Duke goes up and comes down with that deep pass on the first drive then I think everybody is talking about how great the passing game is. The years Auburn has been successful under Gus, including 2010, it was powered by the run. Baylor which has the most powerful offense in the country right now is averaging over 300 yards of rushing a game. I have no problem with 10 passes as long as those passes are effective to keep the offense wide open.

I get your point. The pass to Smith was off, wrong shoulder. Duke, on the other hand -- what the heck happened to the guy you could throw it in the vicinity of and he'd make the catch?! Best play he made all night was the recovery of the attempted onside kick. Wish he'd turn it on.

Good news is we went +4 on TO margin today. What is concerning for me is the fact that we keep hearing about getting our "Playmakers" involved, and we continue to see passes only coming when we HAD to. I am all for saving gadget plays and even certain personnel groupings, but we cannot play like this. It doesn't help the team get better by just hammering away at a lesser opponent running the ball. Seeing Sean White having to throw on 3rd and 8+ is silly when it could be avoided by throwing more high percentage on earlier downs.

What really hurt to see, was when USCe's QB went down vs MIzzou, the back up came in, and they immediately took a shot down the field. The only change from benching JJ, was limiting turnovers at the cost of offensive production. This isn't a knock on Sean White, but if all we are going to do is run the ball until we absolutely have to pass the ball, Id rather we tried to work JJ through his issues. That Deep ball today was something White has to complete, and he let it get on the left side of Smith. We shall see what the bye week brings.

Some of you White critics are just too much. So now because Jason looked over the wrong shoulder it's White's fault. SW would probably agree with you but I do not. Smith probably needs to work on his receiving skills instead of wildcat. KJ is doing fine. With his very limited of WR experience JS may not have the feel for which way to turn sometimes. A wise man said football player can not win with athleticism alone. Aim for the head as pass might sail a foot either way. SW probably miscalculated on the wind.

Good news is we went +4 on TO margin today. What is concerning for me is the fact that we keep hearing about getting our "Playmakers" involved, and we continue to see passes only coming when we HAD to. I am all for saving gadget plays and even certain personnel groupings, but we cannot play like this. It doesn't help the team get better by just hammering away at a lesser opponent running the ball. Seeing Sean White having to throw on 3rd and 8+ is silly when it could be avoided by throwing more high percentage on earlier downs.

What really hurt to see, was when USCe's QB went down vs MIzzou, the back up came in, and they immediately took a shot down the field. The only change from benching JJ, was limiting turnovers at the cost of offensive production. This isn't a knock on Sean White, but if all we are going to do is run the ball until we absolutely have to pass the ball, Id rather we tried to work JJ through his issues. That Deep ball today was something White has to complete, and he let it get on the left side of Smith. We shall see what the bye week brings.

Some of you White critics are just too much. So now because Jason looked over the wrong shoulder it's White's fault. SW would probably agree with you but I do not. Smith probably needs to work on his receiving skills instead of wildcat. KJ is doing fine. With his very limited of WR experience JS may not have the feel for which way to turn sometimes. A wise man said football player can not win with athleticism alone. Aim for the head as pass might sail a foot either way. SW probably miscalculated on the wind.

Come on, man! Was a bad pass. It happens.

I would hope all the Smith talk as QB comes to an abrupt end with the fact that a true freshman is apparently better at running the wildcat that he is therefore JS isn't only Not the best option as a passing qb, but not even as a runner. Atleast for now. I know the first post I quoted wasn't asking for JS to play qb, just saw a good opportunity to put that one out there.

Does Kerryon have any experience throwing the football in his life? Darren McFadden could throw it rather nicely if I remember correctly. Did Gus invent the wildcat?

Archived